Auckland Council Employee Reviews

IT department depressing place to work
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland10 January 2018
Workloads are overflowing and some bad managers regularly insult other staff and bully employees. Culture is very conservative. Feels like workplace from 50 years ago. Staff frequently made redundant and remaining coworkers expected to do their work. On the plus side, do get to work on some projects which benefit the Auckland community.
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
Staff treated with contempt
Terrible Management
Project management (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland8 January 2018
Less is more was the culture of the team. Less team members doing more work. Unfortunately a team of 7 could not do what a team of 15 was supposed to do. Years of struggle have come before and will be ahead for this team.

Other teams with in Auckland Council I had no trouble with.
No 2 days were ever the same
Call Centre / Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland6 December 2017
Some complex calls, very fast paced, great culture and good laughs with good colleagues. I do miss working here and would have liked to stay on and gain more knowledge and skills.
Pros
Collegues were very helpful
Poor Management
Pool Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland24 November 2017
Enjoyed the job in the beginning, not so much towards the end due to management issues. I worked alongside good people, but the management team were poor
Pros
Use of gym, team members
Great work[place
Specialist Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Zealand5 October 2017
Very inclusive environment
No micromanagement
The most enjoyable part was community interaction

My role included advising community, advising local community boards(politicians); facilitating workshops with other government and non government agencies. As community development officer, there was no limit to the work area. This had ESL teaching , interpreting, translating, networking and connecting cultures via celebrating Race Relations day type events with community and to the top of it there was a huge element of community empowerment no matter whether it is through ESL support or through funding advice.
Pros
Approachable seniors and managers
Cons
Weekend work
Server Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland30 September 2017
Some very good people, work culture is good but it has entered into outsourcing so job losses are coming thick and fast. The management looking to fix problem by reducing staff. The projects are mismanaged and so many projects was over spent and heaps over time. It is not safe at all to work for the council now unlike when the legacy council were operating.
Fun workplace
IS Service Desk Analyst/ Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland20 September 2017
Very organised and peaceful. people are nice and fun loving. They are helpful and cooperative. Permanent offers are very less but not impossible. had a good time working there.
Very productive, outgoing and family orientated work place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland17 August 2017
The first time I laid foot in West Wave I felt a family orientated sort of vibe. I loved working there and I had so much pride in the place that I would tell everyone that I work at West Wave athough I did have a few downfalls but in the end I enjoyed my time there. Managers, Team Leaders were all nice and friendly people, my fellow colleagues were all amazing people. Even though I was mainly the only male Receptionist there, they made me feel special in a way.
Pros
Pay was very good.
Good place to work - respectful
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD14 August 2017
Constant work challenges, good relationships, good support.
Poor performance management. Average salary.
I am happy here but am not getting the recognition I feel I deserve financially.
Code Compliance Certificate Assessor (Current Employee) –  Auckland6 August 2017
The multicultural environment and great user-friendly work system help to keep track of the work and under tremendous leadership of people working here for many years helps to learn the organization and possible ways to improve and grow.
Pros
Traning and very well lined up policies and procedures.
Cons
Productive and fun colleagues to work with
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Auckland7 July 2017
Colleagues were fun to work with. Very warm welcoming team. Work was easy to do once you knew the systems. Management was ok. Overall was really happy with my job.
I learn't the systems of SAP, Hansen, PeopleSoft and Pathway. from a day to day basic I completed Notices of Sale's where changes of ownerships for houses were done and also full time data cleansing for the NAR Team.
Pros
Auckland Council Perks: Free Coffee at Coffee Club (buy 1 + Free)
Cons
Management was slack
Great
Customer Insights Solutions Broker (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland9 April 2017
Great work life balance and good career opportunities. Definitely recommend it as a good place to work. No two days are the same, with lots of variety...
Friendly and varied environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Auckland28 March 2017
During the short time I worked there the Council was still dealing with the effects of amalgamation and moving buildings. As a result there was some difficulty in day to day administration however the staff themselves were friendly and dedicated.
Productive/Challenging and great team to work with. An excellent and very helpful team leader.
Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  CBD Auckland, Auckland22 March 2017
I have learned a lot from Auckland Council. Especially working in a great team with great leaders. My role was multitask and with great team work i was able to manage my time and work well.

I have learned more skills and explore my knowledge in doing administration role and able to gain more confident in doing my work and communicating with people.

I will forever cherish all that i have learnt and experienced working for Auckland Council, New Zealand.
Pros
Central location
Fun, great supportive management
Litter control (Former Employee) –  Wiri, Auckland16 March 2017
Joined this company,when i do not have any other opportunity and also nobody else gave any opportunity. Excellent supportive management give consideration to your personal values along with your work and gives a way to succeed.
Pros
Easy work / Fun
Cons
need to start work very early morning
Busy and productive
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orewa, Auckland29 January 2017
A typical day involves dealing with people from all walks of life and assisting with everything from book selection to writing CVs.
It is increasingly obvious that usage of e resources is becoming more wide spread and, although I can't imagine the demise of the physical book, digital reading seems to be the way of the future.
Good management and team work are vital to this and every other work place. Excellent and or inadequate performance needs to be acknowledged and dealt with accordingly.
The most difficult part of this job can be dealing with those customers who come into the Library solely to use the public computers. They often expect staff to go beyond the call of duty when helping them with personal and obscure issues.
Interaction with the public and providing them with friendly and helpful service is the most enjoyable part of this job along, of course, with being surrounded by so many wonderful books!
Pros
Access to all manner of books and multi media
Cons
Long hours and low wages
Lrgae local government organisation newly created by amalgamating 7 old councils
Stormwater infrastructure development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland27 January 2017
large local government organisation providing infrastructure and services to citizens. My role was to creating new stormwater infrastructures ensuring private developers comply with regulatory and other requirements and fulfilled and integrity of the environment integrity is not compromised
Pros
2 frees zoo pass per one year
Cons
travelling long distances are not compensated or looked after
No one day is the same
Community Development Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Auckland3 January 2017
All my time working at the Auckland council or in the good old Manukau City Council days, I enjoyed all the challenges.

Unfortunately what brings it all to zero is the constant change in leadership i.e. CEO/Directors and government; this gives the COMMUNITY SECTOR a loss of assurance of work in the future
Excelente
Senior Performance Reporting specialisst (Former Employee) –  Auckland2 January 2017
Oportunidades de crecimiento, horario flexible, buen ambiente de trabajo.
Fun workplace, Professional and Good working environment
Licensing & Compliance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland5 December 2016
- A very supportive management team
- Daily task is processing dog registration payments and data entry
- Analyzing and solving rates payment
- Great and supportive co-workers
- Weekly update meetings improves the work environment which resulted to good results and solutions. It gained confidence to each and everyone in the team
Pros
Free Coffee, Juice and Milk. Weekly Team Meeting and Friday Team Building