Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

productive, secure and helpful
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki3 February 2018
i enjoyed working here when I was there and only left due the store closing and having first child at the sametime. i wish to re enter the workforce now that my family is older
Pros
secure job and flexibility
Cons
cant think of any
fun and chill
Night Filler (Former Employee) –  Sylvia Park, Auckland18 December 2017
on a typical night, I would log on for the night and make my way to the back storage where I would pick up a pallet of groceries and drop them off to their appointed aisle
Cons
busy during Christmas and new years
It is a really best platform for learning something and i'm enjoying my work
fresh food assistance (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland14 December 2017
I always want to be bright future in this company.
The main reason behind my enjoyment is the management of company and i'm learning new things every single day.
All staff members of my store are very friendly and helpful.
Horrible workplace. Unprofessional management.
Long life assistant nights (Former Employee) –  Huntly, Waikato8 December 2017
Horrible supervisors. Main management blows complaints under the table and acts as though nothing has happened. Very racist working environment. Supervisors make the work place a horrible environment and are extremely useless when I comes to taking up responsibility. Extremely lazy. Management is horrible. Several complaints have been made about a specific supervisor and the main boss says he knew nothing about it. The work environment is split into different cultures by the supervisor and make it an extremely uncomfortable workplace. Would not advise anyone to work as a Longlife assistant. I have left due to the horrible experience working there.
Pros
Some staff were supportive (1 person)
Cons
Unprofessional Supervisors managements, Horrible experience. Very racist working environment ( by supervisors/ management.)
A great place to work but salary was not worth the hard work and long hours I work for, and the amount of staff that I was in charge for.
Checkout manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland6 December 2017
It was a good company to work for if you're a people's person, the pay is not so good for looking after the department with the most staff in the store. I even worked longer hours and not getting paid for.
Work together as team
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland5 December 2017
I love working together like team members and and learning more experience for future and be happy and keep smile do everyone at work and help for some one want your help i love share with someone if u don’t have lunch and work hard
Pros
Free 🥗
Cons
Work long hour
Fast paced and mostly fun
Seafood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westgate, Auckland29 November 2017
I loved almost everyday working in this store. It changed so much over the 7 years I worked there. Had many different Store Managers- while they were all very efficient store managers. The best by far, is the current one. Andrew Lethbridge. He runs his team with an open door and open personality. There is nothing you couldn't go to him about. He will always try his best to guide you, support and encourage you to give it your best. He certainly helped me to become who and where I am today.
Pros
All the team are very close and we've all become like family.
Cons
Cutting hours and short staffed
Fun workplace
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland6 November 2017
By far the best job worked at, co-workers we’re very kind and friendly. If made a mistake wasn’t judged, always given an opportunity to learn from mistake and work towards knowing how to handle situations. Customers weren’t all good but had a good team of support. Fun environment and enjoyed the pressure of a busy day.
Pros
Good team, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, standing long periods of time
fun at work
check out operator (Former Employee) –  countdown lower hutt2 November 2017
i got to learn how to handle money using cash and eftpos cards. also i got to always meet all new customers, learning all types of products we have in the shop. how to be gentle with few products while packing in the bags.
Pros
staff ndiscounts
Cons
shift hours
It lokks good to me because every time i go shopping at countdown it makes me wanna work there
Packing (Former Employee) –  Tinwald Ashburton30 October 2017
I want to work in countdown because I love packing and unpacking stuff and also working with others and helping other people to find stuff what they looking for
Catty environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty12 October 2017
Worked there as a teenager and it was horrible! One supervisor would tell you to do something a certain way and the other would suggest you do something completely different, I was expected to know everything when it'd been my first job ever as a checkout operator and co-workers would constantly gossip in front of me and customers, it was disgusting and they seriously need to learn basic HR. Overall, I'd say only had a handful of co-workers that were pleasant the 7 months I worked there.

I just remember 2 supervisors that worked there went out of their way to be completely textbook, narcissistic, sociopathic, headcases for no reason, the only reason I even gave the job a 2 star rating was cos I changed supervisors that was extremely nice to me.
Pros
Good hours, good pay (for a teenager), re-training, not having to deal with the same nightmarish supervisor everyday.
Cons
Extremely awful HR, bullying.
Working at countdown looks good for me
Countdown (Former Employee) –  Ashburton allenton26 September 2017
I am a year 11 at Ashburton college I would like to work at countdown because I like packing and unpacking stuff and also I like working with other people
There's never nothing to do.
Check Out Operator (Former Employee) –  Kaikohe, Northland18 September 2017
Communication, preparing in advance, great customer skills, quick thinking, great eye contact, a beautiful smile are all key factors to a great day. Keeps management of your backside:).

The working environment is diverse and flexible if you have potential to advance, take the oppotunity presented.

The hardest part of the day is disgruntal, angry customers, remembering eye contact and empathy, not saying sorry but saying it in form of Empathy and trying not to swear because your honest.

Some Managers were on real power trips/ very amusing while, others were good teachers but all passionate about their jobs,
at the end of their day they got their work done. From start to fiinish was always enjoyable, there was never a dole moment.
Pros
5% Discount on your groceries
Cons
Standing long hours and disgruntal customers.
Fun and Ideal
Nightfill Assistant (Former Employee) –  Papanui, Canterbury15 September 2017
This job was very ideal for me i am a bit overwhelmed at time and i was not too good at english at the time, but the people in the night fill team made me feel welcome and made it easy for me to do what what was needed to be done.
Fun place to work, friendly staff, good work environment.
Pharmaceutical Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland10 September 2017
Really good place to work for people looking for a their first job. Countdown Pay's well and give you the opportunity to move up to a higher position in the company. Staff are very nice and very accepting. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches, Good pay, opportunity to move to higher position in company.
Awesome workplace
Nightfill (Former Employee) –  Gisborne7 August 2017
Typical night would consist of dragging pallets out on the shop floor,dropping products down correct aisles and in a timely manner.Then break time,smoko, coffee, back on the shop floor opening boxes and filling shelves . Easy work , just requires physicality and the ability to be repetitive. Breaks were good, vibe was good, management awesome and made many friends :)
Pros
Good team mates, friends, and management and pay.
Cons
Physical, Repetitive
Productive, fun workolace
Online shopper (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury12 June 2017
Structured, productive
Learnt new forms of communication via instore shoppers through to online communicating with customers
Thinking on your feet, problem solving
Knowledge of products
Management supportive
Team environment healthy and productive
Hardest part of job ....for me was when I left to go to Australia
I would still,be working within Countdown Online
Most enjoyable
Team, job satisfaction and opportunities to move up within the structure of the workplace
Pros
Managers support
good people but could be managed bettet
Butchery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Te Awamutu, Waikato11 June 2017
Countdown was a great place to work with a freindly atmosphere at times but very little consideration when it does not affect them coild do with a help even when you dont benefit with it mentality
Awesome workplace
Service Manager,, Checkout &Chilled Manager, (Former Employee) –  Bay of Plenty31 May 2017
A typical day revolved everyday around the customer,cleanliness and ensuring that the customers visit was always a pleasant one.
The hours were great and any issues were always resolved quickly and efficiently
Fast-paced, fun enviroment
Online Picker (Former Employee) –  Auckland Airport, Auckland22 May 2017
A typical day at work??? Where do I start. I worked with a group of ladies who are willing to get our customers order done before our delivery guy comes and takes them. The orders we do has a timeframe or what we call a WINDOW. There is a time for each window and we have to pick them before the lunch window is done. I have learned that no matter how hard you try to work to achieve a better position or a climb up the ladder someone with no experience whatsoever will to just take that away from you. And that is so unfair.

The most hardest part of the job is looking for hours for yourself not enough hours and so many work to do I do not know why?? but it happens

The enjoyable part of working is the people around you, your co-workers, customers. You won't know how they are feeling but if you spark up an conversation then you can see that we all can get along no matter what race, problem, old, young you are.
Pros
knowing new people
Cons
no free lunch (sometimes)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.