Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland6 November 2017
By far the best job worked at, co-workers we’re very kind and friendly. If made a mistake wasn’t judged, always given an opportunity to learn from mistake and work towards knowing how to handle situations. Customers weren’t all good but had a good team of support. Fun environment and enjoyed the pressure of a busy day.
Pros
Good team, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, standing long periods of time
It lokks good to me because every time i go shopping at countdown it makes me wanna work there
Packing (Former Employee) –  Tinwald Ashburton30 October 2017
I want to work in countdown because I love packing and unpacking stuff and also working with others and helping other people to find stuff what they looking for
Catty environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty12 October 2017
Worked there as a teenager and it was horrible! One supervisor would tell you to do something a certain way and the other would suggest you do something completely different, I was expected to know everything when it'd been my first job ever as a checkout operator and co-workers would constantly gossip in front of me and customers, it was disgusting and they seriously need to learn basic HR. Overall, I'd say only had a handful of co-workers that were pleasant the 7 months I worked there.

I just remember 2 supervisors that worked there went out of their way to be completely textbook, narcissistic, sociopathic, headcases for no reason, the only reason I even gave the job a 2 star rating was cos I changed supervisors that was extremely nice to me.
Pros
Good hours, good pay (for a teenager), re-training, not having to deal with the same nightmarish supervisor everyday.
Cons
Extremely awful HR, bullying.
Working at countdown looks good for me
Countdown (Former Employee) –  Ashburton allenton26 September 2017
I am a year 11 at Ashburton college I would like to work at countdown because I like packing and unpacking stuff and also I like working with other people
There's never nothing to do.
Check Out Operator (Former Employee) –  Kaikohe, Northland18 September 2017
Communication, preparing in advance, great customer skills, quick thinking, great eye contact, a beautiful smile are all key factors to a great day. Keeps management of your backside:).

The working environment is diverse and flexible if you have potential to advance, take the oppotunity presented.

The hardest part of the day is disgruntal, angry customers, remembering eye contact and empathy, not saying sorry but saying it in form of Empathy and trying not to swear because your honest.

Some Managers were on real power trips/ very amusing while, others were good teachers but all passionate about their jobs,
at the end of their day they got their work done. From start to fiinish was always enjoyable, there was never a dole moment.
Pros
5% Discount on your groceries
Cons
Standing long hours and disgruntal customers.
Fun and Ideal
Nightfill Assistant (Former Employee) –  Papanui, Canterbury15 September 2017
This job was very ideal for me i am a bit overwhelmed at time and i was not too good at english at the time, but the people in the night fill team made me feel welcome and made it easy for me to do what what was needed to be done.
Fun place to work, friendly staff, good work environment.
Pharmaceutical Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland10 September 2017
Really good place to work for people looking for a their first job. Countdown Pay's well and give you the opportunity to move up to a higher position in the company. Staff are very nice and very accepting. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches, Good pay, opportunity to move to higher position in company.
Awesome workplace
Nightfill (Former Employee) –  Gisborne7 August 2017
Typical night would consist of dragging pallets out on the shop floor,dropping products down correct aisles and in a timely manner.Then break time,smoko, coffee, back on the shop floor opening boxes and filling shelves . Easy work , just requires physicality and the ability to be repetitive. Breaks were good, vibe was good, management awesome and made many friends :)
Pros
Good team mates, friends, and management and pay.
Cons
Physical, Repetitive
Productive, fun workolace
Online shopper (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury12 June 2017
Structured, productive
Learnt new forms of communication via instore shoppers through to online communicating with customers
Thinking on your feet, problem solving
Knowledge of products
Management supportive
Team environment healthy and productive
Hardest part of job ....for me was when I left to go to Australia
I would still,be working within Countdown Online
Most enjoyable
Team, job satisfaction and opportunities to move up within the structure of the workplace
Pros
Managers support
good people but could be managed bettet
Butchery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Te Awamutu, Waikato11 June 2017
Countdown was a great place to work with a freindly atmosphere at times but very little consideration when it does not affect them coild do with a help even when you dont benefit with it mentality

Want to know more about Countdown NZ Supermarkets?

Ask a question
Awesome workplace
Service Manager,, Checkout &Chilled Manager, (Former Employee) –  Bay of Plenty31 May 2017
A typical day revolved everyday around the customer,cleanliness and ensuring that the customers visit was always a pleasant one.
The hours were great and any issues were always resolved quickly and efficiently
Fast-paced, fun enviroment
Online Picker (Former Employee) –  Auckland Airport, Auckland22 May 2017
A typical day at work??? Where do I start. I worked with a group of ladies who are willing to get our customers order done before our delivery guy comes and takes them. The orders we do has a timeframe or what we call a WINDOW. There is a time for each window and we have to pick them before the lunch window is done. I have learned that no matter how hard you try to work to achieve a better position or a climb up the ladder someone with no experience whatsoever will to just take that away from you. And that is so unfair.

The most hardest part of the job is looking for hours for yourself not enough hours and so many work to do I do not know why?? but it happens

The enjoyable part of working is the people around you, your co-workers, customers. You won't know how they are feeling but if you spark up an conversation then you can see that we all can get along no matter what race, problem, old, young you are.
Pros
knowing new people
Cons
no free lunch (sometimes)
career opportunities
Online support specialist (Current Employee) –  Wellington26 April 2017
In the time I have worked with the company it has been challenging
and rewarding enjoying numerous different opportunties to develope my skills in retail.
it is interesting and energetic to work with countdown supermarket
PI assistant (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland25 April 2017
working with countdown New Zealand supermarket is quite a new experience for me. working in this dynamic environment would surely provide me an opportunity to explore and enhance my skills and assist me in a brighter career ahead
Pros
dynamic environment, healthy breaks
Cons
Easy place to get started in friendly environment
Baker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket new zealand20 April 2017
Would recommend this place to work to anyone willing to learn, staff are friendly management is good its a good supermarket to work for good attitude.
Pros
Celebrate long service members with free lunch, team incentives
Cons
it is an fun productive place to be around
Checkout Operator , (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt, Wellington3 April 2017
my review on countdown is that it is an open space to be around. it is a place where most people come and which is great and many opportunities are available there, it is a place where you can meet a lot of people and just be able to feel apart of the environment. but this is what I love about countdown is that they can just be per light and caring.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
medium hours not after 9pm
More often than not an unhappy work environment
Customer Service, Store assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty11 March 2017
Countdown used to be a fun place to work but over the years with staff shortages there is a lot more pressure and stress involved.

There are too many employed in upper management level and not enough staff at the core working level.
Pros
Most staff are friendly, everyone trying their best always
Cons
long hours, heavy lifing, short-staffed, lack of training, unrealistic timeframes to complete tasks
friendly place to work in.
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Rangiora, Canterbury4 March 2017
There was no typical day working at a supermarket. Everyday started at a different time. I learned how to deal with people who were difficult to serve and had no idea how to treat the operator who was serving them. The management of the company I suppose was fine as I don't have anywhere else in a similar position to compare them with. All the staff were friendly towards each other and we got on well. I suppose the most difficult part of the job was determining the age of the younger customers who were buying alcohol and tobacco. The most enjoyable part would be talking and serving customers who we got to know and treated us with respect.
Pros
5% discount on our groceries with the occasional day at 10%
Cons
On feet all day and low wages.
alright
Online shopper, checkout operator (Current Employee) –  Aotea26 February 2017
Countdown is a great first job store, I'm only changing cause 2017 is a different year and it will be great to want to start fresh and all so yeah. Long enough?
Pros
All brand new
Cons
Not great hours
Hardest part of the job
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland27 January 2017
The hardest part of the job was time management. Ensuring all daily tasks were done in a timely manner and providing customer, particularly when other members were absent proved challenging at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.