Department of Conservation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Challenging and flexible workplace with fun team environment
Project Coordinator (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington20 April 2017
DOC has very friendly workplace environment and I learned lot of new things related to the project coordination which I was not experienced before. It was very challenging and exiting opportunity.
productive and fun workplace
Information Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington11 November 2016
Awesome team, great company culture and feel that the work I do is appreciated. It is a very inspiring working environment with free coffee and tea and friendly people.
Pros
free refreshments
challenge to get things nice but fun
Front Country Ranger (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Wakatipu District3 June 2014
Meeting travelling people who would be tramping through our National Parks, Driving and working and being at some beautiful spots.
Pros
uniform, vehicle
Cons
only seasonal
Great people, great places but they need the right people in management
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, N2 June 2014
I worked with a great group of people and I've learned so much from them. They were helpful and friendly and we had lots of good times. Management isn't the best in my opinion although there many good people in this position, the one that I know of wasn't able to manage people at the professional level required.
Getting to know the work, because of all the facets to it was hard, but once learned it became fun.
Pros
Learn about and visit some of the most beautiful places on Earth
Getting paid to get fit.
Weed and Pest Control (Former Employee) –  Kaitaia, N18 November 2013
Searched and destroyed weeds, laid baits to track possum and getting paid to get fit
Productive, educational and fun
Knowledge and Information Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington7 September 2013
A typical day at work involves checking emails and mail and responding to theses, processing loans and interloans, updating databases, shelving, team meetings once a week and workshops.

- I learned team building skills and team spiritmanship.

- Management is friendly and helpful.

Co-workers are friendly, helpful and cooperative.

- The hardest part of the job is when there are too many request from both library and records and everybody is busy and there is no one to assist with workload.
the most enjoyable part is that there is always someone to help if you do not know how to do things
Pros
Free Coffee/milo for morning and afternoon tea, free lunches once in a while and good opportunities for professional development
Cons
Fixed term contracts and temps do not benefit from professional development