Downer EDI Employee Reviews

Hands on approach to anything
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  New Zealand8 February 2017
Working with clients is what i enjoy most. New challenges each day keeps the doctor away. Travelling in and between jobs is always fun. Love life and people.
Pros
Never off sick
Cons
Always rushing
Awesome
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington7 December 2016
Great place to work, great people to work with and management of our department was exceptional.
The work was great.
Lots of training opportunities.
Good experience
Concrete Cutter (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury7 November 2016
- Working on my own, co-worker jealous but overall ok
- Gained new skill
- Day/Night Shift with good benefit on Nights
- downside 10h minimum shift not always respected
- Reason for leaving, no opportunity for sponsor and girlfriend pregnant
Pros
Own Vehicle
Cons
Company Location
not really
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
I did learn a lot but the centre is not a welcoming place to work in not many positive people work there needs more positive and Encouraging leaders..........................
Productive Workplace with Foosball Tournament.
Senior IT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland28 September 2016
*A typical day at work starts with answering ticket in the Remedy queue
*I learned that being assertive will go a long way.
*The management is easy-going.
*Co-workers are really helpful
*The hardest part of the job is coming up with a decision when a manager has an unsure feedback.
*Most enjoyable part of the job is when user's are satisfied with the service our team provides. This also includes when a project is completed.
Pros
Very nice office spaces
Cons
Demanding users
Great Team environment
Cyclic Operator (Former Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland31 August 2016
All work mates I worked with were skilled and I found them that they would watch your back always while working out in the field such as in road works etc. The day would start with a tool Box meeting to discuss job and any safety issues etc, Management was good and always outlined correct details for the job each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job!! the work itself
Pros
No pros
Cons
no cons
Great company with excellent workmates.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  New Zealand29 March 2016
Excellent structure from managers through to engineers,
Very supportive.
Everyday is different from the last.
Good apprenticeship programme which i was fortunate enough to benefit from.
work in site
Fibre Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Invercargill, Southland20 February 2016
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Pros
more technical trainings
Cons
more overtimes
Challenging company
Chip Sealing Foreman (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury3 January 2016
Downer were a great company to work for in the first two years but over the last year they are struggling to recruit and maintain staff. Unfortunately I feel that this is due to the nature of work and the company being one of the lowest paying in the industry. I have however learnt many new skills in the industry and progressed a few times to the role I am currently in. I currently have a great team that I look after and have fought to keep them but Downer just aren't willing to pay their worth. The hardest part of the job for me is the lack of planning and organisation by my superiors. While i have no problem thinking on my feet and finding solutions to these problems I feel that the company is too focused to cost cutting and not on its workers requirements.
Pros
over time allowences
Cons
looking after its people
great
Redundancy bringing my apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, S19 November 2015
working with downer has given me all the skills I need in life
and cant say more good things about the company.
the system that they work under means your safety is well looked after.
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New Zealand12 November 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Interesting
Operator (Former Employee) –  Christchurch30 June 2015
I was employed as a temp, but the Business who owned the machinery I was operating came back to Downers as his employment had ceased and stated he was going to work his equipment - so my role unfortunately ceased.
Pros
Great Foreman
Cons
Distance to travel to work
Supportive management structure with professionalism
Area Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand30 April 2015
Management team, although quite often changed, showed professionalism in carrying out actions and listening to the staff feedback. Typical day work would be to visit sites, audit, keep control of the finance and operations of all sites.
Pressure to get jobs done on time with lots of Travelling
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerikeri, N16 April 2015
Good Company, but too many changes to Management and work practises. Demanding at times and hard work, but good wages. Had to work in dangerous weather conditions and horrible roads to drive on with no 4x4 vehicle
Pros
Worked from home with company vehicle
Cons
To much expectation to complete jobs with minimal time, frustrating and constant requests to move on to other work
work place is real good
full class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  manukau26 February 2015
i learned to know my ways all around auckland and i also drove around the whole of New Zealand, the good thing about this job was getting to travel
My working Ethos
Quality Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dunedin11 February 2015
I like to challenge myself at any task given to me. I am hard working and like to be hands on. Working in with the workforce has its rewards to earning respect.

Working with people is what I enjoy. I have learn't that people are the hardest tool to work with but if they are treated as you expect them to treat you the result is better performance.
Productive workplace and awesome crew to work with
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Otorohanga, Waitomo28 January 2015
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site.

Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.
Long hours and work overload
Business Technician Inside Plant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton2 October 2014
Start at 7:30am Finish whenever. Stand by and Call out on weekends every third week. Sometimes travelling great distances to jobs around the country.
Learned to programme MUX cabinets, ADSL, VDSL, wireless ADSL and digital phone systems. Installing BRA & PRA networks.
Management was good when left to own devices. Supplied equipment and resources when needed.
Great co-workers, Three of us covered TelstraClears network from Waikato, Coromandle, Bay of plenty to Taumarunui. Worked as a team and always helped one another.
Hardest part of the job was always doing overtime, standby and callouts.
Enjoyed working with high tech equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed the high tech equipment.
Cons
Long hours low wages.
Recruitment Agecies
labourer, driver (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S16 May 2014
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
Result Orinted
Duct jointer (Current Employee) –  Timaru, S15 April 2014
Secutity of tenure
Job security and Iam applying for permanent residence

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer EDI. Our community is ready to answer.