Fulton Hogan Employee Reviews

Generally Average Civil Engineering Company.
Civil Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland7 November 2017
My experience with Fulton Hogan in the early 2000s might be colored by the company's performance and my particular department at the time so please bear that in mind.
Fulton Hogan (FH) is an NZ wide civil construction company with a quite solid reputation in the field. Not a huge player in Auckland, they nevertheless did much work in the infrastructure of the city and maintained a good standard of work.
The laboratory arm where I worked ( Testing and QA/QC focused ) was busy and a good workplace. Despite the industry tendency to consider this part of the operation rater an afterthought, the FH lab staff received respect and accolades when performance was well above requirements. However, during my period of work, the culture in the management of the laboratory was not conducive to promotion or retraining - if you showed a talent for a particular segment of the work, that work was all you did, and you were rarely if ever asked to retrain or advance into other capacities. Staffing was often cut to a minimum, especially when a night shift was required and therefore the fewer staff in day shift where expected to perform at a level of a larger team with less resources of time and manpower. However, night shift workers did enjoy a large weekly bonus for that work, and competition was fierce for such positions.
Workdays were a minimum of 8.5 hours for a five day week, and weekend work was quite infrequent ( Again, a bonus was paid for weekend work in the laboratory and the position on the roster was strongly contested ). The social and cultural atmosphere of the company was
  more... of a high standard which made up for much of the less pleasant aspects, notably the distance of management form the concerns of staff due to an external focus.  less
Pros
Good remuneration, bonus schemes, great social culture.
Cons
Very long hours, little opportunity for advancement, an external cleint-minded management.
Safety focused family orientated company who care about their staff.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Auckland NZ21 October 2017
Great company to work for. Hiring internally is an issue though, jobs may as well say "internal applicants need not apply" Otherwise a great company, great people, great place to work.
Productive and fun
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Te Aroha, Waikato26 September 2017
One of my favorite jobs, started here with no civil experience and 3 years later had a high knowledge and experience of the industry plenty of opportunities for advancement
feild service mechanic
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland24 August 2017
it is a fun place to work there is no micro management and the just leave you to get on with your job as long as you get it done in a timely manner there are good people working there
Pros
great place to work
Cons
i can not think of any
Family Orientated, caring.
Driver Operator (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland19 August 2017
Typical day of work varied from dig outs, to potholes, road maintenance. I learned quite a lot working with Fulton Hogan to do with the road environment. The management do their best to make sure that all daily jobs are completed in a proper time frame. The workplace culture at Fulton Hogan is family orientated and safety orientated as well to make sure that we are healthy and able to work well. There are various aspects of the job that are difficult due to unforeseen circumstances and weather etc. The most enjoyable part of working for Fulton Hogan was my work colleagues and the the work friendly environment at the work place.
Mean family based company
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Motoway Auckland harbour bridge15 August 2017
I would love to work there again, just because of how well structured the job is and how there is a strong team enviroment so your not alone. I love it how its a zero tollerance to harm and health and safety is key making sure every workmate goes home to family. Cheers guy keep up the good work
Pros
Meeting diffrent people at work
Cons
Mean long hours
Loved the people but management need a bit more organising
Drainage Labourer (Former Employee) –  New Zealand Christchurch19 February 2017
Loved my job, being an only female on the crew was pretty cool meeting new sub contracters on site and learning what their part was to help to finish of the job
Pros
Meeting people, learning new skills
Cons
A lot of waiting around
physically demanding
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland1 February 2017
set up road cones.sweep gravill and work on stop go singes.recored last four numbers of license plate of frist and last car to go threw stop points.must have good listning skills and need to be observent.
Pros
out doors.easy to folow work ethics.
Cons
can get quite hot on sunny days.
Great inclusive company
Site Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tauranga23 January 2017
Fantastic company to work for with strong managers and a good workplace culture. Spent days managing the site operations and was given a long tether to work but had good support when required.
Worst Company in History
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Whitford, Auckland15 October 2016
Whitford Quarry, has to be a stand alone division.
This department is run by an egotistical,narcissistic regional manager whom if you disagree with, your (so called) career will not only stagnate but when you have finally had enough and leave you will get the worst revue imaginable. This guy is that good that he has lost ALL his staff within 2 years.
If your ever needed the ultimate mental challenge, then apply for a job there (helps if you don't speak English) and when they give you the yearly appraisal just get him to fill it out as there worthless..
As for there OFI reports (Joke) !!.
Good part; The workers
Bad part; The lying about incidents and material testing.
Pros
Long term.
Cons
Being asked to lie, (material testing) (incidents)
enjoy working there
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland9 October 2016
I've really enjoy it there nothing was wrong was a really great place to work at . i learnt alot of things being there as well gain things to.
Productive and knowledgeable place
Assistant to the lab technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland24 September 2016
Everyday you meet a lot of people on the site and everyone is really friendly and helpful in your tasks.
It's a really good work place for person who doesn't want to sit at one place the whole day.
Hardest part is the weather conditions.
Most enjoyable part is friendly nature of people and to work with them.
good people
Cleaner/general labourer/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Balclutha, Otago1 September 2016
while working at Fulton Hogan I found the people there were good to work with easy to get along with 99% of the management were good but like most work places there is always the ones who aren't so nice to deal with. if your looking for a good work place give FH a go
Pros
good peope to work with
Cons
some times the hours can be a killeron the home life
Management were Brilliant
Truck Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Auckland17 July 2016
Early starts, out on site, wait for Engineers, City Council to approve the road is ready to be sealed. Prep the enclosure. And then wait.

Team work is always in place as Safety is priority. Dealing with the public is constantly a mission And going home to my family is the best part of my day.
Pros
Monthly BBQ
ok
Machine Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  New Zealand26 June 2016
It was work, but a better opportunity arose for me to relocate to perth so I took it.
Fulton Hogan is a great company unfortunately NZ's economy is not
Pros
income
Cons
workhard and long hours for an average wage
Fun work
Construction worker (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury26 May 2016
- Every morning you'd have to be highly motivated.
- You learn how new things every now and then
- managing to finishing a task you set can be difficult sometimes when you have unexpected barrier in the road
- working alongside a bunch of good co-workers is always the best.
- The hardest part of the job, I'd say is trying to complete a set goal.
- But the most enjoyable part of the job, I'd say is heads down work completing a job in the time given.
Pros
When our project manager shouts lunch
Good equipment, reasonable hours
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Paraparaumu4 April 2016
Vehicle check before leaving the yard
Got the gear needed for the job
Communication was the key to the job & working together as a team

Management was mostly punctual & on time unless was called out to an emergency like an accident ect.

Co workers were good but you have up's & down's now & then.

Hardest part of the job was to think on your feet in a dire situation & explaining it through to your team so everybody knows exactly where to be & what their roll is. There's also heavy lifting involved, set up & break down of site's. Knowing the measurements of road length & signs. Safety of your team, clients & the public.

Enjoyable part of the job is that your outside & at a different site everyday to change of scenery. Also when everyone knows what the plan is & what they are doing it's easy going.
Pros
Lunch breaks were given when needed & the crew were well to work with.
Good, experienced people
Site Engineer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Nouvelle ZĂ©lande3 December 2015
It's been good working for Fulton Hogan, they make you feel part of the FH family and invest in you with lots of training and the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects.
Pros
People, work ethics
Cons
Salary
Awesome ground crew
Ground crew (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington9 November 2015
Can be good Company to work for, but old gear tho in Wellington . Can be sum long days. The ground crews are good to work with.
Pros
Good ground crews
Cons
Management not the best, company very top heavy
If you're injured look for another job!
Apprentice carpenter (Former Employee) –  Southland Invercargill7 November 2015
I worked for Fulton Hogan for approximately 3 years as a apprentice carpenter in the Civil Building Division located in Southland. At first the job was really great and I made a lot of really close friends. Things changed when I was injured on site which resulted in a severe back injury which required surgery. The management tried to cover up my injury stating that it did not happen at work. When I thought things couldn't get worse a FH manager took on himself visiting me uninvited at my house and accusing me of lying about my injury. After my back surgery I found out that the Regional Manager attempted to use character assassination which isolated me from my work friends. FH management didn't take the time to support me and my family when I was injured instead they just attacked my credibility as a person. I would not recommend working for the Southland Branch. I have talked to many senior management at FH which stated that the Southland branch is is known as the wild wild West with making up their own rules. My advice is not to be injured on the job if you are do not get FH to manage your ACC entitlements. Instead just say you injured yourself at home and have ACC manage your Injury.
Pros
Good workmates
Cons
Bad management practices