A.C. Moore
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

A.C. Moore Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

My time at the company

It was really good and easy to pick up and get going once I started working and although the location I worked at is now closed indefinitely it was really nice working for the company

Not productive or fun

Not a productive work environment. Management was untrained and unskilled. Communication between team members was nonexistent. The store was not cleaned properly.

just regular retail

Pretty simple tasks but felt laborious walking around all day and restocking or cleaning. The hourly rate was terrible, I believe $10. Not worth it.

Pros

easy tasks

Cons

low pay

I liked the weekly pay and autonomy

This was a good job with supportive management and a good team to work with. Work never felt like work. We came in. We did our jobs. We even had fun and laughs while doing it.

Pros

weekly pay

Cons

job ended too early

Overall Fun

It was a fun place to work if you enjoyed arts and crafts, but times were stressful, like during the liquidation period and hours were difficult to get because there were so many full time managers and we did not have many associates

Cons

low pay, inconsistent hours (often very low)

Can get boring if no customers. (Custom Framer)

It's not a bad job for the position I was in (custom framer). Depending on who your managers are, you can really enjoy being a framer. It can be boring if no customers are around, but when it is busy, the time goes by fast and I have a lot of fun discussing with customers about their artwork. Definitely can learn a thing or two about framing pictures for yourself. You can learn a little about sales marketing, but other than that, don't expect anything else.

Pros

Relaxing, Fun Job As A Custom Framer

Cons

Gets boring when it's slow, pay isn't that great

Fast paced and busy

This job is a good start if you’re young and need experience. All A.C Moore’s are closed now though but luckily I had a good staff all around.

It was a nice place to work until..

It went out of business. Working there was fun, coworkers were nice and the management was helpful. It was stressful at the end due to the goig f out if busi ess sales.

Cons

Went out of business

Bad place to work

I was blamed for things that were not my fault and constantly made to do things that weren't in my job description because the other employees didn't want to do it. Not a good experience at all

It was fin

It was a college job. It helped with the discount to buy my school supplies which can be spendy because of art school. The breaks were alittle too short if you’re working a full shift. 30 minutes isn’t enough for anyone’s break no matter what company

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at A.C. Moore?

Fun place to work

Ac moore was a fun place to work for. The employees that I worked with were great. We would bounce ideas off of each other if someone came in looking for help with crafting something.

Nice Company and nice people

My co-workers were great. Enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and the perks of working for retail. Unfortunately the writing was on the wall and the business closed.

it was alright

it was fineee. it was kinda boring and the managers were so strict for no reason but besides that it was okay. it was alright for how short i was there for

Great people to work with, mediocre pay

Great job if you don't have bills to pay, the pay is mediocre at best, but the employees are always super nice and understanding of everything. Job isn't too stressful and the managers treat like an actual human.

not productive workplace

Did not like working with the management and he set unclear goals and under-compensated staff that had been there for a few years and also gave raises to employees who only just started.

A.c. moore is closed now but here are my feelings

I was a front end supervisor when I was at AC Moore. If I went back I would have preferred to be a regular "team member" cashier-- the pay is slightly less but has significantly less stress, fewer responsibilities, cleaning, tasks etc. But if you're passionate about customer service and enjoy all those activities, more power to you. The stress and soul-sucking meaninglessness of retail customer service not worth it to me. Got a great discount though and made a few meaningful friendships. Sometimes it was tolerable, and I often had interesting chats with customers and coworkers. I learned that exchanges of kindness with strangers was one of the most stimulating parts of my day. I like bringing a little positivity and friendliness to someone's day, to say something encouraging or scan a coupon for their purchase they didn't know about. The connections and small moments are what matters, and being an authentic person, not a zombie reading a script about "rewards cards sign-ups". Wish ACMoore was still around, but the world of commerce and retail is changing.

Pros

Discount, making friends, being around art supplies, genuine conversations with customers

Cons

Soul-sucking, meaningless, stressful, hectic environment, difficult managers, wearing dumb shirt

Promises not kept. They use you and hold out a carrot you can never get.

AC Moore could have been a great place to work, allowing an employee to see all the latest in crafting, and allowing a person to try out new ideas using their discount. But it all depended on the manager at a specific store, along with their direction by a specific district manager. You could have a manager who cussed at you for everything you or anyone else did, did not give clear direction and complained out loud about most of the staff, threatening their jobs. You might get lucky and have a fair-minded GM who scheduled so that the other members of management had enough staff to get work done, and listened to ideas with an open mind. Our district manager moved me a half dozen times, promising promotion that never happened, and tried to create conflict between members of management as they seemed to enjoy observing it.

Pros

Exposure to new crafts, working with knowledgeable crafters and learning from them, assisting customers with solving their project dilemmas, sharing in pride of their finished product when they returned.

Cons

Upper management and HR did not really care about individual staff except for liability issues, Lack of proper training, lack of proper discipline, lack of proper coverage, hiring outside the company to pull in additional staff (like framers) from other companies, District Manager who kept asking me where I like to go for a drink after work (I don't go to bars.)

A great environment to learn customer service and people skills

Working at A.C Moore open my eyes to different and multiple people and different cultures and what they do with art and other things the general area that the store was in it was kind and pleasant and I had fun I could be me and be open that was the best part about it is you was able to be yourself

Pros

Rewards

Cons

Can't really think of any

Typical big box retail, but worse

I worked as a manager here for a year. The company is very dated in most of its policies. They don't promote or encourage inclusivity, work-life balance, or employee satisfaction. My manager was very good from a procedural standpoint.

Fun, productive work environment

Great work environment for retail. Management was competent and supportive. Regular schedule with some overtime if you wanted it. A mix of regular and seasonal employees, and it was a great place to work during the holidays.

Pros

Work schedule

Benefits

Decent Place for a first time job

Was my first job. Standard retail experience everyday. Crazy customers that could get frustrating and sometimes difficult managers. Place went out of business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.C. Moore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A.C. Moore
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?