A.C. Moore
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

A.C. Moore Employee Reviews in Roanoke, VA

3.5Work–Life Balance

Get used to seeing the same people

A lot of the same people come in every other day. We have to deal with the usuals that come off the bus. Theft is a pretty common occurrence but it's not that bad.Things break all the time so you get used to cleaning up glass but the job was pretty good to get in the retail pool. AC units are not working so it is super hot inside the store.

Pros

Employee Discount, nice older people

Cons

breaks aren't completed, So Hot all the time

Job is not worth the low pay

The shifts are long and backbreaking for ridiculously low pay not enough hours available and basically if you have no life outside of work this job is perfect for you

It's okay

I met some wonderful people at my job. I got bored with sitting at the cash register all day. I would mostly walk around and straighten up the store when I could. I felt like I was making a difference.

It was a fun place to work

The customer made working at A.C. Moore fun. Getting talk to them about the crafts they were doing and learning from them on how to do different crafts was enjoyable.

Pros

customer

Cons

hours

Great first job

I dabbled in a bit of every department in the store and switched through all shifts offered. Hours are pretty strict and change a lot for the pay. Management is very laid back but makes sure everything gets done accordingly. A lot of grumpy customers come in but that's found in any retail job really so needing to know how to handle someone who doesn't read coupon dates or exclusions is important. It's a great job and co workers are wonderful.

Pros

Employee discount, wonderful managers, mostly calm enviornment

Cons

Strict hours, hours change, pay a bit low, advancement opportunities small

A fun but not very high paying work atmosphere

I know this is not a career type atmosphere but I was treated so unfairly at this place. I have been with this company for eight years. Raise increases were two or three cents. I asked for a raise politely but they couldn't explain to me why they said no. They hire new people and pay them 9.25 an hour when I've been working there for eight years and being paid only 7.97. Despite all of this they wouldn't even let me work day shifts and only gave me four hour night shifts to work every single night. No dayshifts, not even one. Also, no health benefits for part time employees like me. I know this is a retail job but I've been there for eight years. I did not feel appreciated there.

Pros

creative atmosphere, great merchandise, low priced

Cons

low pay, no benefits

Basic retail at its core.

A.C. compensates their management team well. However, there is very little opportunity for anything above base salary. Advancement above the General Manager level is nearly impossible. Their is a family culture that is spoken and preached, however, it commonly does not line up with direction of company. As a GM you are responsible for all aspects of the building.

Pros

Personal Business impact, Salary, Type of work, Customers, staff members

Cons

Constant changing direction, Stress due to poor corporate planning

A friendly and open work environment where open communication and learning is a day-to-day part of the workplace.

Working in arts and crafts retail is a rewarding experience. If you have the know-how, you can help a customer find whatever they're looking for to complete their project; if we don't have it, we'll direct them to wherever they can find it, even if it means sending them to a competitor. As custom framing specialist, your job is to help a customer find the best options for showcasing their artwork. We also inform the customers of the various achival quality materials we use to protect and preserve their artwork. Since we ship our orders to an off-site facility, we maintain a direct line of communication between the workshop and our store to keep careful tabs on all of our customers' artworks. My best customer service experience involved helping a mother and daughter figure out how to set up their school project. The daughter was in the advanced math courses, and she wanted to create her project out of origami. Being my personal hobby, I directed her not only to the origami paper and cardstock that would help her daughter create her project, but also several online sources that would help her craft new figures and origami's relationship with mathematics. Several months after that conversation, I recieved a note from the mother saying that her daughter had gotten an A+ on the project, and she thanked me for my assistance. The hardest part of my work behind the framing counter involves hiccups in communication about how a customer's order is supposed to be completed. Over the holidays, one order had undergone multiple issues, from a frame going out of stock until Christmas -

Pros

Excellent learning experience for customer service, Fun and relaxing workplace atmosphere, Easily accessible managers

Cons

Use of older computing systems

It was a great place to work.

I had the best Manager he allowed us to have input in the daily business. He encouraged me to continue to grow as an Assistant Manager. He taught me the financial side of the retail business. I had co workers who where excited about taking our store from making no profit to making us the 2nd most profitable store in our district. We worked as a team to bring our shrink numbers below what was required. I enjoyed all aspects of my job from training and mentoring our employees to customer service and merchandising to help sales. The hardest part of the job was when I was promoted to Assistant Manager and then transferred to Asheville NC.

Pros

Great work team, interacting with customers, training was available and a great manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.C. Moore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A.C. Moore