A.C. Moore
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

A.C. Moore Employee Reviews for Specialist

2.8Pay & Benefits

It was a nice place to work until..

It went out of business. Working there was fun, coworkers were nice and the management was helpful. It was stressful at the end due to the goig f out if busi ess sales.

Cons

Went out of business

Reasonable work conditions

Not too bad, lower level management is terrible. Weekends and holidays required. Decent training program, Difficult to get unscheduled time off, Full time unavailable.

Pros

Not many.

Cons

Short breaks, healthcare etc.

It was a fun place to work for

I loved working with the customers. I loved hearing the stories behind the art, and I loved seeing their faces when they picked up their art. I would love going into work and seeing the different art that a customer may bring in. My favorite part is working with the different art and showing my creativity/

Not the best

The store is shutting down so if you're hired at this point you're just helping finish up sales and closing. You will likely be asked to run a register which is fine, everyone is pretty nice, and the customers are usually really sweet. The scheduling can be a bit of a nightmare if you're closing since people are finding other employers.

Difficulty workplace environment

Difficult to succeed in role/position as priority for such was low. Higher priority placed on cashiering then on Floral department. Little to no assistance from management in completing goals/deadlines. Frustrating overall.

Distant Management, Fun Peers

I worked here as a student and it was very difficult for management to get my schedule right and constantly made me feel like an inconvenience. Management was slightly uneducated about LGBTQ+ culture (I'd still constantly be misgendered by my own co-workers the whole year I worked there.) Management was insensitive and sometimes hard to work with, especially when closing. Little to no communication for tasks, especially when I was first trained to be a Custom Framer. Got paid low for my position despite being a specialist and going through training. The store was always super busy, especially on Sundays. Coupon policy always had loop-holes. 99% of my other coworkers were also art students, so it was a fun atmosphere when we'd close or work on projects together. Had to step down to normal associate because of scheduling due to school and mental health.

Going Out of Business Sale!

My co-workers were great and I've become good friends with them in regular life! However, the store had eight salaried 'middle-managers', which was excessive and unnecessary. The company is going out of business, so...

Very cool work environment

As my second job, I greatly appreciate all that I have learned here. I almost wish I could stay longer. My co-workers are fun and encouraging and I felt as if I was treated fairly.

Love it

There seemed to be a few negative reviews, I'm here to say that every store is different. What matters is that the company AcMoore treats their employees fairly. It's a fun place to work, your customers naturally enjoy shopping for their hobbies, so they are fun to work with. That being said, don't expect to be able to simply sit around all day on and off your phone, your expected to work.

I prefer not to comment

I am still working there. And I prefer to reserve my comments. I don't have problems with the general manager, the cash office manager leaves much to be desired. Upper management really is not in touch with Jacksonville's needs and desires.

Just don’t

Micromanagement, the store discount is not worth it. Just wait for a great coupon. Not enough hours. And the manager has a bad attitude where she will target someone she doesn’t like.

Without my skills there would be no business in my department

When I arrived on the scene over 6 years ago, the pitch hit type designer that preceded me was no designer, and if they entered a floral design competition the work was so poor it would have been disqualified. I took everything apart and salvaged what I could. Then the florals began to sell. When I had sold through what was there, and my designs were what was put before the public, there was a rapid increase in business. With over six years the business has increased with word of mouth satisfied customers.

Retail is a terrible job. I am jealous of the people who make it a career. I could not do it.

Never again. Retail is the worst. I could not deal with the attitudes and behaviours of the public. People are horrible. Bathrooms were trashed. People stole what wasn't nailed down and then they tried to pry it up.

My experience working there wasn't terrible nor was it completely positive all the time. But I did enjoy most of it overall. I've gotten to meet a lot of characteristics and customers were always my favorite part of the day. Explaining there art pieces and or family photos they wanted custom framed.

Pros

Gaining knowledge pertaining to art and frames

Cons

healthcare, work areas were not safe.

Great work environment for the most part but can have its downsides

As with any job, you'll have certain customers and coworkers who can be difficult. I can't speak for every A.C. Moore location, but the working atmosphere at our A.C. Moore is really great. Our general manager is very easy to talk to, most of the people hired are hardworking and easygoing. As with any retail outlet, there are certain seasons that are chaotic. Some of the customers though can just be incredible to work with. I do custom framing so the stories I get to hear and the history I get to frame blows my mind. Some things are deeply personal so I am honored to be entrusted with something so precious. I believe the company at store level does a very good job at being fair to both the customers and the employees, which at times can be a very difficult line to walk. I will say though that I have not been impressed with decisions made at higher levels. There are some things that, although they're not ideal, make sense, such as cutting hours significantly after Christmas. There was, however, one time it was snowing and the person who gives us permission to close refused because we needed the holiday sales and he thought there was a conspiracy since every store in the area was calling for permission. The roads in my area that day were deemed unsafe at around noon. We did not close until 5pm. I was disappointed to say the least. Again, that's not at store level. My manager gave me permission to leave whenever I felt I needed to since I live in the woods and it would be harder to get to my house. I believe she would do the same for anyone else there. But the quality customer -

Pros

work environment, weekly pay, flexible hours

Cons

inconsistent hours, don't know your schedule until the last minute

Productive and busy workplace

It was easy to keep busy with the tasks that were to be completed each week and the management were very understanding and helpful with helping out the workers. Working with customers was something that would happen a lot for my position, and with the help of certain managers I learned quickly on how to best deal with different types of customers and continue to perform my job effectively. Sometimes though, the work can be a lot to ask and things can pile up which will stress you out making you constantly worry about not getting certain things done while still having to assist customers whenever they need help.

Pros

Calm workplace, good management

Cons

Extremely busy weekend shifts, tasks can pile up

Productive and fun workplace

Smaller staff and a medium sized store. Easy to establish good relations with co workers. The store closes for holidays and is very good with giving days off when requested in advance

Pros

20% discount

Cons

Paid time off is only full time

Great First Job Opportunity

A great starter job for one with little to no experience. Management was very fair, the best part of the job (as an artist) was just being around the art supplies. The worst part was dealing with troublesome customers.

Loved the job, not the company

I loved my job as a custom framer but I barely made any money doing it, especially for how much the company makes off of it. It's a basic retail job, they don't care all that much about employees, and don't pay very well.

Great co-workers, but that is about it

I was a Floral Specialist within AC Moore and eventually became a part-time Framing Specialist as well. The work involved with the Floral duties were very creative and enjoyable. The problems were that they did not treat workers with integrity and did not care to keep them for the future. Raises are abysmal and advancement usually comes without a pay raise. They shuffle you onto duties that are not within your job title or description. Couple this with not enough hours for the demand of your customers left me drained, frustrated, and with little hope. Management I could not tell if they had their hands tied by corporate or did not care enough to try and fix problems.

Fast paced environment with great coworkers

A typical day at work consists of cleaning the store ad assisting customers - either at the register or on the sales floor but likely both. I've learned a lot of great job skills here and this is my first job so I think it's been a great experience for me. I will say that the skills are geared more towards people who enjoy crafts or working with their hands but that's been great for me. There are some drawbacks with the workplace culture. For the most part everyone gets along but there are some cliques throughout our staff and I've never felt excluded but some of my coworkers have. The hardest part of my job is the payroll. I am unaffected because I work full time but I have little time to train other staff members in my department because of a current and ongoing payroll situation. The people I need to train are never there when I am which I believe is inefficient. The most enjoyable parts of my job are my coworkers whom I get along with and the amazing people I get to run into sometimes. I meet all kinds of people and it's really rewarding to have a chance to look at the things they value when they bring them into my framing department. As for management, there's some disconnect, but I think the entire managerial system is setup to run efficiently.

Pros

new and exciting crafts and a chance to help brighten people's day

Cons

workplace cliques and compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.C. Moore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A.C. Moore