A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd

A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd Employee Reviews

2.6Work–Life Balance

It all depends on the manager.

After working for the company for over a decade, I've had a few managers. Some were great, some not so great. First impressions of a manager could be false. Talk to the staff before applying.

Pros

Fairly flexible hours

Cons

Some bad staff

You get what you give

Having worked here for years in various departments my skills have been tested with the places they want deliveries. Sometimes the work is heavy as you have to handball around stores .The money is good as long as you rush to get things done as we are paid standard hours ,if you like taking things slow this is not the job for you as you wont earn a lot.Some managers need a kicking as they are only bothered about runs going out. Vehicles are in a terrible state nobody cleans them and you have to then work and sleep in a truck you wouldn't let the homeless sleep in . I live in hope things get sorted as I quite like working here.

Pros

Good holidays. sick pay

Cons

Long hours. heavy work. dirty vehicles

Real Real BAD

dishonest management and no real chance of hitting the bonus they say "they" need you to hit.Long Hours due to them sacking people as soon as the work dies down in winter time.Young and arrogant managers who are under qualified for the positions they fill.DO NOT WASTE TIME GOING HERE.

Dreadfull wouldn't bother

Worked there for 6 half years only reason stayed because was good group of lads ...after that I left for 3 months an went back due to no job .....the management have no clue the place is corrupt riddled with useless management from topnto bottom no communication no nothin

Pros

Free lunch 👀

Cons

Long hours no life

Shocking

It's a terrible place to work and wouldn't recommend to someone I don't like it's awful.slave labour and they promise you bonuses that are unreasonable and not possible.

Pros

Cons

Free confectionery

Driver (Bedford)

Terrible transport office. Push you to exceed maximum 15 hour day. Vehicles poorly loaded. Vehicles in poor state of repair. Not unknown to have trucks marked VOR being sent out on the road.

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

To many to list

Terrible

Absolute ridiculous workloads with no care from management. 0 safety efforts or care for wellbeing. Management have zero clue what they are doing. All of the vehicles are very dirty and unreliable.

Pros

HGV Licence

Cons

Long Hours, Terrible Trucks, Terrible Management

Relaxed

Alright to work for but management ignore any complaints and treat staff unfairly and show favouritism. Discount is alright. There is no way in my experience to flourish within the business as they’ve laughed and said no without giving any reason.

Pros

short shifts

Cons

treated poorly by management

Very stressful and very dodgy

For a company that boast it is a great place to work up a ladder but unfortunately that is a big lie just to indice you in. Your a driver and to the office thats it drivers are thick that's why you drive and don't work in offices . You really are just a number (there words) and easy to replace once again (there words)And as for home work balance that's another lie you are made to work 3 out of 4 Saturdays and they even try get you to work Sundays and in exchange they give you monday or Tuesday off. And starting between 2am and 6am (changes daily) finishes normally between 4pm and 7pm, so no chance of a family life Also forever telling staff to just drive lorrys until they get fixed because they need the lorry even if its dangerous they just want work done

Pros

Money ain't bad if they pay you what your owed

Cons

Long hours no work home balance and dead end job

Exciting, ecstatic and enhancing

It’s a great place to work, and earn some really good money. Also the people there are great and the management are okay. Great place to work bonus scheme .

It is what you make of it

Not bad to be fair. I always try and have fun to make my days go quicker, has gotten better over the last few years, bonuses easier to get, new area manager is good and approachable

Never get your pay right and bonus scheme is impossible to hit

The worst place I have ever worked in my life. Bonus scheme is impossible to hit dropping your pay to minimum wage. The payroll dept never gets your pay right causing you to chase it up every month which is why the company has such a high staff turnover.

A Very Stable Place to Work

Pay could have been better, especially as a reflection of some of the services we would have to be trained in/provide. However store-level management have always been hard-working, and would work alongside you, and motivate you. Upper Management had little to no perspective in terms of store-level. Also training days and conferences, while a nice opportunity, often felt more like an opportunity for middle management to congratulate themselves offering little to no recognition for the stores that didn't impress them visually. Blakemore is all about image, and while that would be great for stores that are purpose built or are offered refits and repairs regularly, those on the fringe who work harder, are busier, offer more services like post office, deli, costa, subway, greggs, etc. are made to feel less-than, because we're forced to hold the store together with tape. With that said, it is a very stable place to work, guaranteed hours, especially if you work well, and some sense of achievement in the right stores with the right managers.

Pros

Staff Discount, Lovely Staff, Great Management at Store-Level, Good Training, Stability

Cons

Very Basic Pay, Poor Middle-to-Upper Management, Stressful at times

Becoming more and more stressful

At first was an okay company to work for. Some managers put way to much stress on you and on top of that there’s the performance pay. If you don’t hit it your out. FINISHED!!!! Goodbye. Next one in. Only up side to this place right now is the colleagues but sometimes that’s not even enough.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Everything else, run to the ground. Treated like robots.

Love it

I absolutely love my job managers and staff are like one big happy family. Which isn’t what I am used to, but I love my job and highly recommend them

Pros

Good working environment and fun

Don't be fooled

At first offer you the world decent hour rate but then when it comes to pay day you find out the truth you don't get paid for every hour you work but get told each run has a time limit and if you go over the time then tough. Ignore your run sheets with info on cage collection and always get your wages wrong . Better out there.

Decent

Company is overall decent. Management of certain departments are absolutley terrible.Certain people act like its a playground, try to bully/snith on you for minor stuff.Keep getting promised to be trained on additional application/services and had nothing in over 4 years.Salary is below average for job and skills.

Hard work

Can be hard work and early starts but then you finish earlier so get the rest of the day to yourself…trucks are decent and any defects faults do get sorted quiet quickly

Bland, repetitive, mediocre

For a part-time job, working here can really take over your week with it's awkward hours and little 4 hour shifts dotted over the week at annoying times. Salary is OK but you will end up doing the same thing day in, day out. Good job for a stop gap but not the sort of thing you would want to do for long.

Poor Management

one of the worst companies i have worked for, They have a high staff turnover, due to the way management treat the staff.This is why they are always having open days, would definetlt recomend not working here

Challenging

Need a sense of humour. Keep your head down and get on with your work. Lot of backstabbing . No natural daylight or fresh air in the kitchen deliveries sometimes meant stuck in kitchen until stock cleared in the warehouse

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd