A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd Employee Reviews

2.7Work–Life Balance

Store Management Awful

depending on what shift you were put on and who you worked with you are either stuck on the till or putting away deliveries. If you face fits you are fine if not be prepared to be ignored at times by the Manager.

Pros

Local

Cons

Terrible management

terrible company

trash company they hate their workers and you get absolutely no time off Terrible company they don't care about you and the manager at subway where I worked was horrible and rude all the Time

Pros

Cons

you have to work for them

Productive, and easy to understand.

Really good people, willing to help at any time. There is not a time when any question is a stupid question. It's simple and easy to understand the paperwork.

Unconventional & Unorganised

Wouldn’t recommend anybody to this company only if your looking for a sales assistant position and it’s local to you if you have kids. Other than that they will work you dry and not give you what you’re entitled to.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management & Pay

Never Again!!!

A typical day at work is come in get yelled at for what you did or didn't do.Work back stock/delivery, do cleaning, mange money/safe counts. I do mostly nights, I get 2 sales assistants if i'm lucky (1 of whom leaves at 8), shift is 3pm - 11pm on average.I have learnt that the management would rather yell at you than train you, meaning carrying new starts is a must. We are expected to be multi-skilled in Shop floor, FTG, Subway and Post Office.The culture of our store was like a yo-yo some days good, others bad. The staff I work with are really good at helping boost everyone's mood (The only reason I haven't left yet is because we are short staffed and I don't want to leave these amazing colleagues with more work).We don't have a staff we have 2 chairs next to a sink and fridge.Hardest part of the job is doing the work of 3 people while also trying to train new staff, on a busy night when we are short staffed (which has been the case for over a year now)The most enjoyable part are the times I spend with my colleagues, some customers are good to have a laugh with, the store is based in a nice community.

Pros

Discount, colleagues

Cons

Everything breaks, Management, lack of training/time given for training

Steer well clear - I wouldn't recommend whatsoever

If you're thinking about applying to work for A.F Blakemore, I'd stay well away.Poor training when you first start, lack of encouragement and a workplace that will turn their back on you.If you want to enjoy your job, get paid fairly, and have excellent development opportunities, this isn't the role for you.

Pros

Cons

Toxic workplace, no support, no credit

Avoid at all cost aint worth your time or day shocking place to work

Avoid at all costs better of homeless than working here poor hours poor pay poor managers staff do as they please no home life no social life and the female managers get the promotions through other means then working hard if you get what i mean

Pros

Bullying managers and horrible environment to work in

Worst job I’ve ever had. Management seem to be so unhappy with their own lives that they enjoy taking it out on everyone around them. Toxic environment with no progression and zero regard for your personal life. Expected to drop everything at a phone call and come into work because the company runs on minimal staff - then the management act like they are doing you a favour bringing you in to work on your day off because you’re getting paid for it. Expected to work “charity days” for a few hours A.K.A. Working for free on your day off and you are heavily criticised for not wanting to participate which is ridiculous. Second shift is always late in so you end up working for free there too if you work mornings. If there are stock checks, you’re also expected to work for free to make up for the massive amount of work required to get everything counted. Getting holidays in is nearly impossible as you have to give 4 weeks notice for ONE day off and if you’re not their favourite they’ll give the day to someone else instead. There were several instances of bullying I witnessed where management were picking on regular staff - when reported to higher up nothing was done. The only good thing about working there was the relief of quitting.

Pros

Leaving

Cons

No fun, poor communication, No Risk Assessments for deliveries, old units and trailors, poor all round at Bedford Depot,

Communication very poor,Only interested in the delivery and nothing else,Nobody in transport office or not willing to pick up the phone, Think twice could be a good job but not how it's run at present 🤔My licences worth more to me than them,

It’s alright

If your face fits your good. Good opportunities to move forward and work your way up but the money for management is shocking. The work load you’re expected to carry is too much for one person with barely any rewards. Management at the shop itself is decent though.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long hours, low pay

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd?

Not a nice place to work

When I started I Immediately felt like I wasn't going to enjoy the job. The guy training me was not enthusiastic about his own work, There was one or two managers I actually liked. The rest were either arrogant or just don't care about you. There was always the "Not in my contract" talk when people didn't want to do simple favours. The pay system was a mess as we would commonly have too many people in and finish the work with an hour to spare and then be made to sit around till the end of the day so our percentages were lower. And with that covering the whole week we could lose money on each day we work. The staff are always talking about each other behind their back and the management always give you false hope by telling you something will happen then it never does.

Pros

Some friendly people

Cons

Flawed "Bonus" System

One of the worst companies ever to work for

Well what can I say there's isn't much to be honest.The management tell you what you think you want to hear just to get you to join the company, however when you step foot into the warehouse it's another story. They sell you dreams and fake hope but let me be real they forget to tell you that you will be working for next to nothing whilst being moaned at if you are not hitting the bonus target on a weekly bonus.They don't take into consideration others well being in regards to the picking heavy items or not picking on time or even if you are ill ( could be seriously ill and they would ask you to come into work ) or have a family emergency you are expected to work. Yet they can have days off and it's all fine.Basically the company is a joke and I would never step foot back into the company and leaving was the best thing I ever done as I constantly felt stressed all time and very under appreciated - couldn't even get a day off on the weekends due to the rota.Management don't care about anyone but themselves as if is to say we don't have lives of our own and all they care about is production and money. They spoke rudely to staff constantly especially to do with the bonus target.Pay was rubbish for what the job entailed as it's paid on bonus target and if you don't hit the target the management are constantly on your case - they need to pay hourly and call it a day.

Pros

Leaving the company

Cons

Everything about the company

Not the best place

Overworked and underpaid, lazy staff so you end up doing 3 people’s work while supervisors sit out back with coffee and rags and don’t respond when you need help! Also having to run a post office ontop of the shop is stressful! Not to mention the rude and smelly customers and all the equipment breaking down!

Pros

Paid 30 min break

Cons

Long hours, huge workload

Evil company

I liked working here and the manager at the time was lovely and very supportive The staff were great, but the shop I work that had no money put into it whatsoever it was basically falling apart at the seams you would see people day in day out but in every bit of the heart and soul into their work and Blakemore could not give one they will work you to the bone and throw you away, I was physically attacked in the shop and they gave no support whatsoever, they request the shops do wow but they give no autonomy to the managers so we were selling high-end products in a lower end area with high poverty rates no one had the money to buy these high-end products this was mentioned so many times to the area managers and to the company itself it constantly fell on deaf ears things like this where a constant,

Pros

Nothing Other than sick pay

Cons

Being used as a slave

Friendly Colleagues & Enjoyable Work

Great place to work with really friendly down to earth people. No day is the same and can be challenging but very rewarding.The culture and management are fairly relaxed and does feel like you can talk to them if you ever have any issues.A lot of staff have really long service which shows what a good place to work it is.

Pros

Good Pay & Benefits

Cons

Can be stressful at times - but what job isnt?

Fun place to work

Great place to work, lots of help and advancement via training etc. if you want it. Friendly culture and great staff. Would highly recommend working here.

Pros

Caring company, great ethics

Not a forever job

You have good days and bad. On a good day it's rewarding meeting targets etc and earning your bonus, this is if you can stick the bad stuff: terrible communication between team leaders, even worse rota planning with hours missing, which affects people's pay.No authority on the shop floor, people driving picking trucks and forklifts and using phones, and other breaches of H&S noone attempts to sort it out, team leaders sit in the office on their phones too. Sketchy contracts that state additional hours will be required in line with business requirements or something along those lines, what this should actually say is "upto an hour before the end of your shift you might be asked to stay up to a maximum of 2 hours extra". And this could happen every day of the week, for weeks and months on end, especially during the season when they like to trim staff numbers.You're paid based on performance over a 10hr shift, and entitled to 30 mins break, but they include your break in the performance calculations so as soon as you stop to eat, your bonus productivity starts to plummet.Overall not a fantastic place, but it's okay if you can perform, are flexible with staying late, and can avoid the bad apples determined to convert you to hating the place.

Pros

Fair pay rates if you can perform, nice people on the shop floor

Cons

Long hours, incorrect pay, poor management, bad equipment always broken

Awful management

The manager was a miserable lady, set on making everyone’s day as horrible as possible, no matter how hard you tried to do your best . The supervisors were more qualified than our manager to do her job, and they helped me in most problems. Customers made my job bearable.

Pros

Lovely supervisors and friendly customers

Cons

Unfair rota, unless you was managers best friend

Avoid at all costs!

Unfortunately the promises and hype made in the interview never happened. Absolutely no training or structure in place like I was promised. Shifts changed at the drop of a hat with no warning so you either ended up late or short staffed because they hadn’t logged into the rota. Outdated systems and technology, for a large company I expected better. The workplace culture was by far the worst I’ve ever seen, everyone was miserable there and it was a depressing place to be. Don’t be fooled by what you’ll hear in the interview because the reality is very different.

Pros

I honestly can’t think of one.

Cons

Depressing workplace. Long hours. No training given. Poor staff discount scheme.

Hard work and stressful

Working for Blakemores is hard work with a lot of shops being handball deliverys. You get treated like rubbish by shop owners and then by management on your return. Transport management are a waste of time as none of them have a clue about the job and the difficulties you face on the road. If you have a bump your reassessed and disciplined. Only good thing about this company is getting experience. Always new drivers here as people are constantly leaving.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Long hours, management. Company in general.

Would only recommend for experience

When starting blakemores I realised within 2-4weeks they have there favourites. If you moan you get better runs etc. Pay is OK but way too much paper work to get paid extra for empty etc, also handball at drops isn't exactly worth it for what they pay. Pay structure is not the best. Staff at the time were not organised one single bit.

Pros

Discount, experience

Cons

Pay structure, trucks are a mess, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

• A.F.Blakemore & Son Ltd
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?