ABF Freight logo
ABF Freight
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ABF Freight Employee Reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Great people

I really loved the people I worked with her, but the terminal manager was not my favorite boss. I always felt like I had to work twice as hard to earn respect and fair treatment. Would never work there again.

Average trucking co. Nothing special.

It's a union job. So you make the same money. So if you are a hard worker you get no recognition. You just cover the lazy workers. Being that it's a union job you gave to sign bids and hope you have enough seniority to land a good spot. Because if you don't land a bid then you do the worst jobs and the worst hours. The only positive of this job is the benefits.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else

The union vs maintenance kills this place

I worked there as a casual, for the most part management isn't bad but you're expected to work whenever they need you essentially, no real set shifts, they're set up by the week. The union is what makes the culture of this place awful, they do everything they can to try to get management in trouble (grievances, etc). There's no incentive to actually work or do a good job, even in a right-to-work state the teamsters will attempt to intimidate you and/or drive you off if you don't join.

Terminal leadership

The terminal in Albuquerque NM sucks! Veterans have a chip on their shoulder, they act like they invented the freight business. They definitely have a GOD complex. Management isn't any better. The terminal is a filthy mess and they want the new employees to clean it up. No leadership whatsoever.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Great compensation, rough hours depending on where you work or what shift you run.

Pay is great, if you can get past the politics, and succeed in your role, there are tons of advancement opportunities. Depending on the shift you may struggle to have a social life.

Pros

Compensation, benefits hard too beat

Cons

Work/life balance depending on shift and location

Part of the wheel

Work should be a part of how america gets it done. Rarely easy, sweat, pain and exhausting grind sometimes. Rewarding to be a part of the wheel. Just a cog, but together we all make a difference. Old school work ethic here, you get paid what you sew. Throw in an atta boy once in a while, and there you go. Great place to hang your hat. MV

Pros

New tractors

Cons

Short breaks

Decent place to work

ABF freight has great benefits. Everything else is just okay. The job itself isn’t too challenging, but they let employees who’ve worked there for a long time do whatever they want, which can complicate your own job. Ex, you’re moving freight to a trailer but you have to rework the entire trailer because people just loaded things in without a care. They’ll also task you with cleaning up after some of the senior workers because they’re afraid of correcting the issue. The flexible schedule as a casual is great but unless you’re working there full time you’re treated as less than.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Toxic work environment

Lots of opportunity

Lots of room to move up the ladder. Company invest in training management. Fast paced, long days, tough working with union employees but overall good place to work and build a career.

Supervisor holding me back

After attempting to leave my department for another department with more pay I was told that I couldn’t leave because my manager wanted me to stay, but I needed to make more to support my family

Sucks

Much better jobs out there management is terrible don’t work here. They lie to your face and work people like dogs everyday go to old dominion/fedex/get good a good job

Pros

Nome

Cons

No quiet time

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ABF Freight?

great place to work!

hard work but very rewarding, company lets you use your own discretion and trust their workers to make the right decision. great benefits as well......

No work life balance

Local Driver - Start day between 7am and 8;30 am. Start deliverys needing a lift gate for residentials, but don't have one. Now your trying to lift off 200 to 300lb boxes with out a lift gate, and they wonder why guys get hurt. Management just cares that the freight gets delivered. Management hates all the union employees and the union employees hate management. Never worked somewhere that the hatred was so intense. After your day of picking up and delivering freight, you come back to your terminal and must work the dock for several hours to organize freight and preload next days trucks. Very physical..! You also never know what time you'll finish your day! Usually 12 to 13 hr days.

Pros

Great benefits and pay

Cons

NO work life balance. Intense hatred between management and union employees.

Great Company to work for, period. Definetly recommend

Every thing you need in a job. Pay, benefits, rules you can clearly understand. Hard to play favorites. They dont stand ovee your shoulders unless you are truly not working. If you cant work here find another field of work

Pros

Pay, benefits etc

Cons

Not many

Buddy System

Raises have been frozen for years for people in the company. impossible to get promoted unless you make friends with managment. Can be very frustrating at times.

Awesome company to work for

The benefits are a big plus and the pay is pretty good. I mean this company pays for all your insurance, health, dental and vision PAID FOR. That alone is awesome.It is trucking so you might have a start time but never a finish time until your done and that's normal. At my terminal we are small and with one guy being off it hurts but if you need a day off they make it work for you. I don't know of any jobs that pay you to take your birthday and anniversary day off with pay đź‘Ť. This job isn't for everybody but if you don't mind a little hard work only 5 days a week it's a darn good job.

Pros

home every day, benefits, overtime after 8hrs

Great pay and benefits but no work life balance

The environment is hurry up and wait. There will be times where you work so much you can't catch a break, and other times work is so slow that you wont make enough to pay the bills if you're the new driver on the hog board. As a new driver expect to wait all day, week, or month for a call to work. Then in the middle of the night they call you asking if your ready to work when your most certainly tired. Be ready rested or not if you don't want to be hung up on or treated poorly by the dispatchers. Your sleep schedule will constantly be switched from days to nights. Things are great when they are busy and freight volumes are high.

Pros

Pay and benefits when freight volume is good

Cons

no work life balance

You literally have NO LIFE!!

This is by far the worst trucking company I have ever worked for. The whole management is a joke and all they care about is moving the freight. I missed my childs birth because these clowns sent me 8 hrs away from home when I repeatly asked if I could do a local/same-day run and they told me no.

Benefits

Cons

Terrible Management, low Pay, Vacation time, and home time

High stress/ No work life balance

The subject line says it all. A high stress work environment but no work life balance. You are paid for five days a week and ten hours a day, but you end up working around sixty hours while working the night shift. Good place for someone who is young, hungry, and single.

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay, advancement opportunity

Cons

No work life balance, management only cares about their bonus

Horrible management, decent pay

Managers are awful, 12 hour shifts... No consistency or structural training procedures for personnel who are trying to learn the freight business.. And you only get paid once a month..

Pros

It’s a job e with decent pay..

Cons

Horrible leadership and inconsistent training

Management Lies like most Companies

Working nights. Was told that once 2 more drivers got hired I could move to days. Well 2 drivers got hired last week and I asked if I could go to days and I was told NO not Happening. I guess I will start looking for a new job again.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

People I worker with

Great company but unable to stay. Great help and support from coworkers and management. Wanted to enter companies driver program and become a permanent employee, but was unable due to a family needs.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Unable to stay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABF Freight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ABF Freight