ABF Freight

ABF Freight Employee Reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Great people

I really loved the people I worked with her, but the terminal manager was not my favorite boss. I always felt like I had to work twice as hard to earn respect and fair treatment. Would never work there again.

Kept busy

Loved handling OS&D - phones rang constantly for various reasons which were handled locally. Keeping busy always makes the time go by and you feel productive.

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits

The pay and co-workers

ABF Freight is a excellent company to work for! Awesome company, management co- workers and best of all the pay scale is great... sure would like to join the ABF family again

Typical workday, deal directly with customers meet a lot of good people

Compensation is good, multiple job functions, only knock is because it’s unionized have to adjust to working different shifts for awhile. They are very understanding about your personal life and give you the time needed to take off.

Great coworkers and management

ABF has great benefits and pay. Good choice for someone with driving experience that wants a long term career. Hire to retire with these folks. It’s hard work and long hours, but the benefits are awesome.

- Good place to work. - Good Benefits and pay. - Pretty easy going. - Safety oriented. - Good Home time. - Has it's ups and downs but overall good place to work

good company, good benefits

however, it just wasn’t worth it for me, some of the supervisors were nice, kind, majority of them were miserable, they chose favorites, plus note it was a union job, but that came with its own problems, forced overtime, forced 6 punches for a week, not enough forklifts, get yelled at for needing help with trailers, not enough equipment, long story short, join as a road driver, or a yard jockey,the dock staff is friendly, same as the OMs, but the supervisors, CDMs, and the dock is terrible. good luck.

No training, not willing to help/assist

Management is terrible, the workplace culture is toxic. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was time to go home. The only thing that I did learn is that the inside width of a trailer is 96 inches.

Just Like Every Other Company, All About The Shareholders

Watched the company slow spiral for 17 years. Would not recommend to anyone that wants an employer that takes care of their people. Very hypocritical when it comes to pay increases. They tell employees that each position has a maximum pay level and that no raises will occur after reaching it. However, when convenient for them, money magically appears but it is always for their advantage. I left the day they offered me a "promotion and raise", so that should be an indication that something is very wrong with ABF employee morale. Constantly turning over supervisors.

Excellent benefits Good pay scale

Delivering LTL freightLearned different way of doing my jobWorkplace culture was greatFinding consignees addressesWhen you see all of delivers/and picks are done

ABF is a meat grinder that will spit you out.

Kent terminal is highly mismanaged. Employees are lied to and abused by upper management. Labor is overworked and underpaid and the turnover is very high.

Pros

Cons

Overworked and low pay.c

Zero work life balance. Poor management

Want time off?? Don’t look here, even if you put in for a day off months in advanced. Have any personal family issue?? They don’t care and will tell you it’s “irrelevant”. Not enough manpower to get the job done leads to 11 hour shifts and 1-2 hours of at home work. Stay as far away from this company as possible!!!

Terrible place to work

Management is currently driving the company into the ground. No moral, ungrateful operations managers. They make it extremely difficult to work there. Disciplinary letters weekly for any petty violations.

Pros

Union protection

Working condition.

A great group of people who all get along. Great management. Great union benefits Great pension new equipment good shifts as far as starting times and plenty of overtiweme as well

Good option in the Transportation sector

Liked ABF . Unfortunately overworked and super high stress level . Long hours . Days of a manager are 10-12 hours then nights and weekends on the computer to keep the terminal running efficiently and effectively. Nothing bad to say as I like ABF as I am a workaholic but after 8 years of 60 plus hours a week I simply had to think about health , stress level and family first .

Not enough time off.

Benefits are greatPay okNot enough time offOn callDrivers are immature and complain about everything They put you up in cheap nasty hotels You have to live by your phone

This terminal has some of the biggest and most awkward freight you'll ever unloaded out of a trailer!

The Kernersville location is a Bulk Break Terminal. Job is simple. Unload freight from 1 trailer to another. If there's no room in the trailer, you dock it in the bay that's by the trailer. If you have questions, just ask someone. Everybody here has been more than helpful since I started. I'm moving freight that I looked at in the beginning and thought, NO WAY or HOW?! If your casual, you pretty much work whenever you want. If your hired FT, your going to be on 3rd shift and everything revolves around seniority. The higher the seniority, the better the shift... just how it is. If your FT, your family benefits ARE FREE!!! I pay $720 a month at my FT job for family benefits. OT after 8 hours, NOT after 40!

Pros

OT after 8 hours, New tablets on all forklifts, Pretty simple job, Benefits for family are free

Cons

Mandatory 2hr OT for FT employees when it gets busy or when they're shorthanded.

When its time to go home

Lots of stupid people in management positions.Long hours resulting in creating dangerous situations.Lots of damaged freight due to lets get it done fast attitude by management.

Benefits w/ terrible management

Free family health care as long as you punch in 3 days in a week. Free pension plan. Incredibly frustrating place to work. You get written up for everything as if they want to dump you right after they hired you. Working hard is rewarded as much as the people who sleep on the clock. Zero consideration to you or your home life. Numbers, numbers!! Kids with no experience in the business telling you how to do things. Consistently swapping out young kid terminal managers with ones just looking to boost their own careers and get a promotion while you’re stuck there being dragged through the mud to please them and then they leave to a new terminal and you’re left for dead only to have to do it again when the new one comes in. I recommend a strong home life without kids and not living paycheck to paycheck to succeed here, at least until you have about 10 years in. Those on the top half of the seniority board have it the best.

Pros

Free Health Insurance, free pension plan, overtime after 8hrs

Cons

Poor management, treated like a number regardless of how well you perform, Terrible time off allowance, Write everyone up for everything, kids with no experience telling journeymen how to do their jobs, daily difference in start times for the first part of your career and Many more!

Great pay and benefits

Good union job, great pay and benefits for family. New guy gets the shaft till seniority builds up. Do your job and you’ll be just fine. Most likely night shift and weekends for a few years.

City drivers work the dock for years before they have seniority to drive a route

Great place to work if want want to never drive and run a forklift 3rd shift for years. Seniority matters for literally everything here. Pay is ok. Time and a half after 8 & 40. Overtime is by seniority

Pros

Free health insurance for family

Cons

Culture and moral is pretty low. New drivers never see a truck… just work the docks night shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABF Freight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ABF Freight
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?