Accident Compensation Corporation
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Accident Compensation Corporation Employee Reviews

New Zealand43 reviews
I enjoy working for ACC and would like to continue to build on my knowledge in various roles within the company. Within case management roles it can be face-paced and personal career development is compromised due to not having time to step aside from BAU work.
As a contract test analyst, I found comparatively the culture and management in IT at ACC to be poor, with managers seemingly having little or no actual understanding of technology nor current IT practices. Pay meets the market rate and extensions in contract frequent.
Pros
Pay Market Rate
Cons
Poor IT management
Typical day is busy but friendly
I leaned team spirit skills and how to be productive and enjoy busy work

Work culture - work hard and take a break
Pros
Busy schedules
Cons
Not allowed to work overtime
I am only a temp, i do not feel able to review the organisation... But my experience so far has been mostly positive. The people are friendly and the office is nice.
Pros
Nice Kitchen areas
Cons
Long processes
Assessing insurance and validation on claims made by claimants for the Canterbury events. Liaising with insurance companies and claimants to ensure insurance coverage to minimize risk to EQC. Project work including being a subject matter expert and working with a small team to roll out the Canterbury Home Repair excess program, investigation of mortgagees not already on system, wrote the insurance process for multi unit buildings for the Wellington insurance team, managing escalations and urgent claims.
A typical day for me at ACC, would involve meeting with key stakeholders, providing updates on any relevant projects, and developing business relationships. There was also a large amount of report writing and developing. Creating requirements documentation, making recommendations and developing standardized business reporting. Providing insights into data.

I learnt a lot about developing relationships and different ways to communicate.

The Management team were always great. All feedback was constructive. Opportunities are there for anyone who wants to take them and is willing to work hard to meet key deliverables.

I really enjoyed working with all my colleagues, we developed a really strong team environment and knew each others strengths and weakness which we leveraged to work more effectively.

Like in every role people can always be a challenge. I found that one size doesn't fit all and you have to constantly change your approach to get the best from your relationships. Different people require different forms of communication and it's important to develop strong relationships in order to achieve business goals. Developing these relationships is both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the role.
Pros
Opportunities are there for those who wish to take them
Cons
Change can some times be difficult to achieve due to legislation.
Very Positive, pleasant and workable environment. People / co workers are very friendly and helpful. Job is very technical and challenging but helping clients in need brings a satisfaction that I am doing great in my job. Everyday brings new challenges and I seek challenges as new learning experiences.
A government organisation where no 2 days are ever the same. High workloads and busy environment. Engaged staff who strive to provide excellent customer service to clients that have been involved in an accident, ensuring the right entitlements are administrated to enable the client to return to independence.

Dedicated colleagues and management who create an empowering environment where staff can exceed their potential through an encouraging learning and development environment.

The hardest part of the job is being able to set realistic expectations with clients who are in a vulnerable situation (both financially and socially) due to an accident and not always being able to meet those expectations due to government legislation and policies.

The most rewarding part of the job is when you have been able to assist and provide rehabilitation and entitlements that have enabled an injured person to return to full independence. This is most satisfying when the injuries are serious - spinal injuries, traumatic brain injuries etc.
Pros
Employer pension scheme
Cons
Busy roles but great supports. The business is committed to staff development and "growing their own" into various roles.
A well co-ordinated and cohesive ELT.
Pros
Busy, no two days are the same, passionate staff
I loved working at ACC. The staff and leadership team were amazing. The culture was friendly and inviting and everyone got along both in and outside work. The hardest part of my job was hearing about all the struggles the clients went through and not having the ability to follow the client from the beginning to end of their injury as it gets passed onto a case manager. I loved speaking with people on the phones and working with the staff. I learnt so much more about empathy and to understand others circumstances. Typical day at work was answering the calls and update clients details and files.
Pros
Staff, management, structure
Cons
Not being able to see the client through from finish to end.
Our Team leader was always creating different competitions and I seemed to excel and thrived on achieving team and individual goals. My competitive nature was rewarded and I loved the job.
I wanted to move to the Complex Team, but the feed back was not the same with what I was being rewarded on.

I love challenging myself and pushing for higher honours, but I also had difficulties in dealing with negative staff who would set us up to fail. I am a forgiving person and have moved on, so I have learnt my lesson and will keep pushing for better opportunities.

Pros
Commitment and Dedication.
Cons
I have always worked overtive when asked and was hardly sick.
Great company to work for. Typical work day starts off with logging into your phone, making polite conversation with the doctors or specialists admin officer regarding medical fees etc.

Management are great. Very helpful and supportive.

The co-workers are just as helpful and supportive not to mention have great laughs with, during work and break times.

The hardest part of the job is trying to answer calls when the system is almost always down for what ever reason. Other than that the most enjoyable part of the job is being acknowledged by the manager for the great work that not only you but your team does every day.
Pros
Awesome office location for lunch if you don't like the cafeteria food.
Cons
No free parking.
Forward thinking organisation, fast paced and customer focussed.
Great colleagues.

A learning organisation who values its staff and provides excellent training.
Calculating weekly compensation. Meeting clients in the office and at their own home. Implementing aids and appliances to assist their daily living. Salary was excellent.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Very long hours
A typical day is to prioritise your work and re prioritise your work as new work comes in to make sure you will meet all your deadlines, which change with each new piece of work the comes in.

It is a great team to work with, with great ideals and processes. The team is very supportive of each other in assisting each other to ensure the team meets all of or as many of the deadlines set.

The hardest part was sometimes being able to meet unrealistic deadlines eg weekly compensation set up received at 3pm and being able to get the required information to make a payment by 4pm.

For me the most enjoyable part of the job was to assist people after injury to receive their weekly compensation payment as soon as possible to avoid financial stress due to injury.
having been a newbie to this environment it was a challenge for me
also trying to keep all the numbers and codes in my head boggles the brain so they designed a new storage system

which i hardly ever used which in hind sight i probably should have

the chairs were uncomfortable but the staff was nice

the only thing i think was disconcerting was the staff spoke nearly no english and their accent was hard to comprehend, eg(bender number)??? Vendor number

after a while i started to drift away into a daydream of robots and flowers, because of the lack of understanding multi cultural language, i don't know if i learnt much, but i did learn that there are fields and i adapted, since i had done previous courses in data entry i figured it out, in my opinion there should only be people in NZ lecturing in plain kiwi english for us who can hear it right, so we can comprehend more appropriately,

hardly any proper communication with anyone unless asked, upon which after training, they say ask but act angry when you ask often, to me it was difficult because they had asians taking all the easy work while everyone went home and found them there the next day sleeping on the floor from a all nighter, leaving it impossible for normal Kiwi staff to achive goals because the only work left was the slowest, and most difficult to find codes

while the staff spoke of country wide changes, this was informative, i barely could grasp what she was really on about, i tested the world at that place, but it seems to me that they have a bunch of mischiefs there who muck up things for staff who want to
 - more...
Pros
i liked helping people and they helped me
Cons
not everthing was positive, some staff had bad attitudes
My administration skills were tested at this position. It was basically full on from the get go. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here if only it were a permanent role. I absolutely loved it here due to the flexible hours, As long as I completed by given task list for each day and was able to prep for the next day, ensuring my 8hours for the day were completed, I was off home. I gained so much experience in this clerical/case administrative role. My written communication skills improved very much. My attention to detail was definitely challenged. What I loved the most was our Administration Team. We had Management from Heaven. They were so supportive, very family orientated. They were excellent in ensuring each team member was given a voice and having that voice heard. Team Meetings were regular ensuring all matters were covered throughout the office. It was such a great role. Best part was our shared group lunches. Everyone and anyone's birthday was celebrated. We always put on great spreads for the entire unit. A very united team and we showed it through our targets shown at the end of each month.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Temporary Role
Everyday was important, to me, its was not just a job but I was helping people at the same time.
It was so encouraging especially when I went through the process of injured peoples' claims, it broke my heart how some people went through so much pain.

The most enjoyable part of this job for me was when these claims or applications got approved, it made my day and always put a smile on my face.
I really enjoyed working here although the reason I left was to study and find a more mentally stimulating job. However, I have very fond memories of The Baby Factory and sometimes call in and say hello again.
As a Claim Officer accuracy is very important to process invoices.
Pros
Sharing Lunch
Cons
A lot of junk mail
Assessing short term claims. Speaking with clients and employers over the phone, encouraging claimants to return to work. I was not at ACC for a great length of time, but during the short term that I was employed there, I found the staff and Management very helpful, sociable and supportive