AF Blakemore logo
AF Blakemore
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AF Blakemore Employee Reviews

2.5Work–Life Balance

Would only recommend for experience

When starting blakemores I realised within 2-4weeks they have there favourites. If you moan you get better runs etc. Pay is OK but way too much paper work to get paid extra for empty etc, also handball at drops isn't exactly worth it for what they pay. Pay structure is not the best. Staff at the time were not organised one single bit.

Pros

Discount, experience

Cons

Pay structure, trucks are a mess, management

Bullying managers and horrible environment to work in

Worst job I’ve ever had. Management seem to be so unhappy with their own lives that they enjoy taking it out on everyone around them. Toxic environment with no progression and zero regard for your personal life. Expected to drop everything at a phone call and come into work because the company runs on minimal staff - then the management act like they are doing you a favour bringing you in to work on your day off because you’re getting paid for it. Expected to work “charity days” for a few hours A.K.A. Working for free on your day off and you are heavily criticised for not wanting to participate which is ridiculous. Second shift is always late in so you end up working for free there too if you work mornings. If there are stock checks, you’re also expected to work for free to make up for the massive amount of work required to get everything counted. Getting holidays in is nearly impossible as you have to give 4 weeks notice for ONE day off and if you’re not their favourite they’ll give the day to someone else instead. There were several instances of bullying I witnessed where management were picking on regular staff - when reported to higher up nothing was done. The only good thing about working there was the relief of quitting.

Pros

Leaving

Cons

One of the worst companies ever to work for

Well what can I say there's isn't much to be honest.The management tell you what you think you want to hear just to get you to join the company, however when you step foot into the warehouse it's another story. They sell you dreams and fake hope but let me be real they forget to tell you that you will be working for next to nothing whilst being moaned at if you are not hitting the bonus target on a weekly bonus.They don't take into consideration others well being in regards to the picking heavy items or not picking on time or even if you are ill ( could be seriously ill and they would ask you to come into work ) or have a family emergency you are expected to work. Yet they can have days off and it's all fine.Basically the company is a joke and I would never step foot back into the company and leaving was the best thing I ever done as I constantly felt stressed all time and very under appreciated - couldn't even get a day off on the weekends due to the rota.Management don't care about anyone but themselves as if is to say we don't have lives of our own and all they care about is production and money. They spoke rudely to staff constantly especially to do with the bonus target.Pay was rubbish for what the job entailed as it's paid on bonus target and if you don't hit the target the management are constantly on your case - they need to pay hourly and call it a day.

Pros

Leaving the company

Cons

Everything about the company

Not the best place

Overworked and underpaid, lazy staff so you end up doing 3 people’s work while supervisors sit out back with coffee and rags and don’t respond when you need help! Also having to run a post office ontop of the shop is stressful! Not to mention the rude and smelly customers and all the equipment breaking down!

Pros

Paid 30 min break

Cons

Long hours, huge workload

Friendly Colleagues & Enjoyable Work

Great place to work with really friendly down to earth people. No day is the same and can be challenging but very rewarding.The culture and management are fairly relaxed and does feel like you can talk to them if you ever have any issues.A lot of staff have really long service which shows what a good place to work it is.

Pros

Good Pay & Benefits

Cons

Can be stressful at times - but what job isnt?

Fun place to work

Great place to work, lots of help and advancement via training etc. if you want it. Friendly culture and great staff. Would highly recommend working here.

Pros

Caring company, great ethics

Awful management

The manager was a miserable lady, set on making everyone’s day as horrible as possible, no matter how hard you tried to do your best . The supervisors were more qualified than our manager to do her job, and they helped me in most problems. Customers made my job bearable.

Pros

Lovely supervisors and friendly customers

Cons

Unfair rota, unless you was managers best friend

Avoid at all costs!

Unfortunately the promises and hype made in the interview never happened. Absolutely no training or structure in place like I was promised. Shifts changed at the drop of a hat with no warning so you either ended up late or short staffed because they hadn’t logged into the rota. Outdated systems and technology, for a large company I expected better. The workplace culture was by far the worst I’ve ever seen, everyone was miserable there and it was a depressing place to be. Don’t be fooled by what you’ll hear in the interview because the reality is very different.

Pros

I honestly can’t think of one.

Cons

Depressing workplace. Long hours. No training given. Poor staff discount scheme.

Hard work and stressful

Working for Blakemores is hard work with a lot of shops being handball deliverys. You get treated like rubbish by shop owners and then by management on your return. Transport management are a waste of time as none of them have a clue about the job and the difficulties you face on the road. If you have a bump your reassessed and disciplined. Only good thing about this company is getting experience. Always new drivers here as people are constantly leaving.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Long hours, management. Company in general.

Can be a good place to work if your face fits.

Training is minimal, you just learn on the job. If your face fits you will be fine but if the manager doesnt like you you will be isolated until they find someone else to pick on. Even when reported the area manager just tells the manager who said what and nothing is done. Most of the other staff and customers are great. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers and working on a shift with good people. The worst part is when the manager has it in for you.

Pros

Handy part time hours

Cons

Made to work ridiculous hours

On salary forced to work 45hours a week when worked out by the hour get paid less than minimum wage not family oriented at all go on about getting bonus lucky to have one a year no breaks as most of the time we are short staffed

Pros

Staff discount I suppose

Cons

Long hours no breaks

Avoid

If you like getting up all hours of the morning anywhere from 02:30 to 06:00 and not being told until 7/8pm by text the night before then this is the job for you! It’s not just “pushing cages” either, you’ll be handballing cages into shops and fuel stations with really any help from staff. Make no mistake you earn every penny of your wages! Oh and not forgetting having to listen to longer serving drivers drone on about how it’s gone down hill etc

Pros

Cons

Never knowing what time you start until last thing the night before

Worst company ever!!

They protect the ones who been there for years for some reason they seem to do as they are told by them, no matter what is said or done, you get bullied, staff lie to get you out, so much favouritism, terible mangers as they all listen to one idiot who thinks he a know it all, worst company ever. Prepare for the certain staff and the company to lie about anything.

Pros

not one

Cons

worst company you could ever work for no matter how long you worked

There’s a lot worse companies to work for.

I worked ther for 10 years so it can’t be too bad. Like a lot of companies in ever changing times, they’ll squeeze every minute out of you. But a lot of time it is actually quite fun.

Would never work there

The management are always trying to get you for any little mistake you make they will never come and help if you need it the targets for flt are a health and safety hazard and the trailers were never washed inside regularly so they always smell the best part about the company was the people that you worked with

Pros

good pay once year work trip

Cons

management

Appalling place to work

The boss karen is horrible to all her staff. If you dont mind having holidays refused, being made to come in when you are ill, being refused days off for emergencies, being spoke to and treat like something on the bottom of her shoe this is the place for you.

Terrible company

Outright terrible company, constant staff cuts to meet a budget. Constant changes in work hours, lazy management. Expectations and reality are two entirely different things.

I wouldn’t work there, if I would have a choice

I can’t say that the job is bad - on itself it’s not. The problem is definitely with management. I guess due to the hierarchy in the company everyone is trying to cover their own a**, therefore regular staff is being treated really badly. As others mentioned, managers are forgetting about booked holidays and it is usually your fault, you’re being judged if you don’t want to do extra time (even if you have kids), very stressful environment due to the lack of healthy management. Some people there are crazy about their career (in retail shop? Can’t wait to become a manager/duty manager for just over £8), therefore they don’t hesitate to stab you in the back or complain about you to the management. Too much stress for not enough pay. Working all bank holidays and no bonuses for staff...well there are some... 10% discount excluding tobacco, alcohol and fuel and only in your store. Fun. No staff parties, like most businesses have at the end of the year. Add to it being understaffed, responsible for shoplifters (with no security on site) and blamed for everything at all times - this is work at Blakemore retail.

Working at AF Blakemore (Spar)

Easy work. Rolling cages on and off the trucks. They take new passed drivers class 1 or class 2. Usually did on average 5 drops a day either local or long distance. They want you to work 5 days one week the 6 days the next. I worked through jobsworth recruitment in Halesowen. So I worked Mon-Fri ÂŁ10 pH, Sat - ÂŁ11 pH and Sunday ÂŁ13 pH.

Wouldn't recommend

I have worked at a SPAR store for a year now and I honestly do not like it. Even as a sales assistant this job has caused me so much stress due to short PPE supplies, being shorted of staff and awful management. Just one of many examples I that they can't get the rota done without many problems occurring such as forgetting that a member of staff has booked time off, being short of staff during the manic days where you don't even have time for a break or leaving it till last minute (on a Saturday night) to out the rota up which means that some times you have to guess whether you are working Sunday (not good if you're doing the early shift 6 am till 3 pm). And yet after writing this, there is still loads more bad comments I can make.

Blakemores

Don't ever work there management don't know what they are doing nothing is in the right location when picking Awful company The hygiene is disgusting and your working with food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AF Blakemore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5