Al's Sporting Goods

Al's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Kind Managers

Al's Sporting Goods creates a great environment for employees by having great managers. A job well done doesn't go unnoticed and mistakes are seen as growth opportunities.

Pros

Soda machines

Cons

No structured raise system

Regular retail work

Tough mindless work, got put into a department that didn’t fit my knowledge or interests. Just folded t-shirts for 8 hours. It’s not much different than other retail jobs so can’t be mad about it. Just found out retail just isn’t for me.

Decent job for college students

Higher management and managment say two different things which leads to confusion and backstabbing one another to show higher authority. They barely want to pay you and is very hard to get a raise. They will do everything they can to not spend money.

I've worked at Al's Sporting Goods for many years now and overall I've had a great experience.I learned many different skills and have had to opportunity to work with and learn from many different co-workers.The managers are easy to talk to and work with. Whenever I've had a problem or needed help, I have always been able to communicate my concerns. The response I've gotten is always very understanding and they've done what ever they could to work around my needs without making me feel like a burden. I would highly recommend working here.

Lots of room to grow

Al's I would say is a very old - but very new company. They've been around since 1921 but only in recent years they've started to expand and with that there are a lot of new job opportunities and ways to grow the company. They're very good at finding something within the company that you'll like or move to, or even try to build a job around what you can bring to Al's.

Pros

Flexible schedule when it isn't around a holiday

Cons

Have to work holidays

Amazing place to work at with people who care about you!

Al's Sporting Goods is an amazing place to work at. Everyone is kind and quick to help. The managers are great and care about the people who work here. My coworkers are amazing and easy to get along. This is a safe and comfortable place to work. Our customers are amazing!

Flexible and Uplifting Work Enviornment

*my thoughts relate to working in the corporate office. I can't speak for the sales floor employees, since their work day functions very differently.*Al's is a nice place to work. Management is kind and they are quick to reward good work when they see it. I received two raises within the first year of working there. The number one thing I love about Al's is how flexible the schedule is. They really do want you to have a good home and work-life balance. If you are looking for a secure job with management that will treat you well, Al's corporate office is a good choice.

Al's Sporting Goods working experiance

I love working for this company, they have taken very good care of me over the years. I have learned a lot of new skills at this company and there has been plenty of opportunity to use these skills in active roles. Management here is fantastic from HR to the General Manager and floor management. We have a tightly knit team and have developed a great working environment that has only gotten better over the last year. We definitely value our employees happiness and work/life balance. Despite being a salaried employee, they specifically do not want me working outside of the office if possible, and made it clear that my free time is my own. Which is a great quality.We have great upwards mobility for those willing to put in the effort. If you are driven here and remain dedicated, you will move up and be given more responsibilities and benefits that go with them.Our culture is our main drive. We have an amazing employee happiness specialist, a very helpful HR that protects both employees and the company.For an example, I'm a trans-woman who came out this year. Not only did this go over well, it was immediately embraced and celebrated, which is an absolute godsent gift. The hardest part of my job is remaining constantly vigilant about what I can do for my team to make their jobs better, and appropriating what they need in a timely manner.The best part of this job is the people. Our crew works so well together, and we are a very close team right now.Just like any retail job, i started at the bottom, but quickly progressed through multiple positions. Al's is doing a great -

Pros

Workplace Culture, Discounts, Special industry deals, events.

Cons

Just like in any retail position, you need to prove yourself to progress here. Not necessarily a con.

Good people, easy work.

I live working at Al’s, mainly because of the people, management is pretty good. They are always looking for feedback and you get good discounts. Also flexible with my school schedule.

Excited to Continue to Work Here

I have to say I was impressed! The current HR Manager is awesome! He not only knows how to be personable and friendly, but remains professional while doing so! Hiring process was smooth, and I feel like I'm getting paid fairly for what I do. Pretty much everyone here have good vibes and are all around nice people! The work is pretty straightforward and simple, but can be a little tedious or boring sometimes, which for me was to be expected.

Pros

One Hour Lunch Periods, Amazing Employee Discount, Friendly Co-Workers, Full Time Opportunities

Cons

Work can be Tedious or Boring at times, Vending Machine doesn't have Prices on the Items inside

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Al's Sporting Goods?

Fun place to work, no way of going up

I loved my coworkers there. Everyone was super nice and fun to work with. But the main manager would not let you grow. I was there for almost 3 years and I wasn’t able to grow, I was stuck as being a cashier. On top of that, I had high schoolers and new hires making more than I was. I had to fight to be able to get at least a dollar raise.

I would not recommend working full time here.

I worked for them for a year and 4 months but me getting fired was the was the best thing that happened to me because i was so sick of their bs for example during the Christmas weekend we had almost nothing to all the lists for all 3 stores were picked and still keep us doing a lot of stupid things to do instead of sending us home for the the day I would only recommend this job if you are going to school but other than that it's not worth going full time their not to mention the employee appreciation meal is something you have show up to or tell the HR manager you are going to show up in order to take part of it and it's only during the day and if you are going to school during the day you will miss out and the pay raise is not a lot I.

Poor management but fun environment

Management often cares more about frantically filling positions than making quality hires. They also end up paying brand new employees the same as those who have been working for a year or more. Their pay raises are a joke and hardly make it worth staying with them long term. The people you work with are fun and the deals are great. If you can get past the fact that management doesn’t care at all about its employees then it’s not a bad place to work.

Pros

Industry discounts

Great place!

Als is a family owned business and that makes everything there feel more important. The coworkers and people who work there will be friends that you will hold dear for the rest of your life. Great work environment!

Loved it. Miss it!

By far my favorite job working in the gun industry. Nothing but positive things to say. I miss working at the IF location in the Gun department. Great coworkers

Family owned company that does not have any ceilings. Culture is excellent.

The culture is excellent at Al's. They do believe in working hard and playing hard. Al's is growing at a phenomenal rate and has plenty of opportunity for growth in the company.

Pros

Healthcare, Paid Time Off, Culture

The best job I've had

Al's is an excellent place if you are looking for opportunity. If you work hard and strive to make a difference they will find a way to promote you or give you other opportunities. It's a great company to start with and grow alongside. There are no limits to how far you can go, and they are rapidly growing. Any time I have needed anything from the management team they have always been more than happy to help me, in and out of work.

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Competitive Pay, Positive Environment, Family Oriented

Great place to work!

Al's is a great place to work. There are tons of opportunities to learn new skills and be part of a quickly growing company. Those who work hard are rewarded with great pay and opportunities for promotion. Al's does a great job of promoting from within.

Pros

Employee Discount, Flexible Schedule

Productive, fast paced, & always improving.

I really enjoy my job here. The new ideas I present are always tried out and implemented when successful. Al's is continuously growing and with that comes regular changes which can sometimes be difficult to keep up with. However, it is fun and exciting to get to be a part of something that is growing and getting to grow with it.

Energetic, team-oriented, and fun place to work

I really like working at Al's! There are routine things I have to do every day, but there is also variety in my work so I appreciate that. Al's has given me a good foundation of expectations and then they've given me room to grow creatively and professionally. I've worked with both mid-level and top-level management and my experience is that they've been understanding and receptive to feedback and suggestions I have made. I've seen positive changes and improvements in company culture and procedures and it's very encouraging to see the grow. Al's is growing exponentially and it's a cool experience to grow with the company. Like any customer service job, it's not fun when customers call in and yell at you, however, my supervisors are very much on the "side of the employee" and they expect us to be professional and helpful, but they do not expect or allow us to be belittled or disrespected. Their support makes me feel valued as an employee and as a person.

Great place for driven employees

I worked here through college and there were many opportunities for advancement. In my experience, the employees who don’t like working at Al’s either don’t work hard, or have really negative attitudes. The hours are retail hours but it’s a busy company which helps me make more money than I would make elsewhere. Super satisfied.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Al's Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Al's Sporting Goods
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?