ALS

ALS Employee Reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Hard work

This place will work you to the bone to meet quotas and if you meet them they push even harder, they'll replace you in a heartbeat once you enviable burn out.Training here is like a terrible game of telephone, your trainer doesn't know most of the job, their trainer didn't either and the supervisor definitely doesn't know.Management acts as though they are always right and have all the answers, but when any problems arise they act as though you should know what to do and offer no assistance.

Cons

Mandatory holidays, mandatory overtime, management that cares only about bottom line

Was great as G&T..

If you don't crawl up the correct alley or family member you'll likely find yourself laid off when push comes to shove. Join the boys club or be laid off. Be mindful they mathematically lay people off, your 3 months probation period is added to the year so 15 months before they start matching RRSPs great right? Wrong add 3 years to that so four years and 3 months they don't have too pay you what they have match for the Deferred RRSP program. The mass layoffs are simply math you climb the ladder position 1-5 potentially salary years of service etc only to be told there's life after ALS when they heard everyone to the boardroom for the layoff ceremony with others. Highly professional.

Pros

Fun coworkers

Cons

Transparency

10 January 2022
It is unfortunate to hear that your experience with ALS was not as positive as we endeavor it to be. Our work is highly seasonal which means that we do need to staff for the busy months and then reduce levels during the slower months. We will step up our messaging to ensure that employees hired for seasonal work fully understand that. Regarding other concerns you have raised, it would be helpful to have more information in order to further review them. Please email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further into your concerns.

Run away!

Poor work environment and horrible management! Poor pay and you will be doing the work of multiple people without any additional pay or help.

Bad management, overworked and underpaid

Management was bad they were unsupportive and disorganized while working there different managers wanted me to do different things there was no singular plan. They even wanted me to do tasks I was not hired for and the training was drawn out with a lot of policy readings with little lab time in the beginning. Scheduling was mismanaged despite me making it clear that I was a student and they would need to be flexible with my time slots. In regards to scheduling, management wanted me to call them to make sure I wasn't needed on holidays instead of them knowing they will need me and scheduling me in it's their responsibility to know that. Couldn't trust my lab supervisor/trainer as everything discussed with her would end up with management. This workplace asks for a lot for minimal compensation in return for large workloads and non-flexible work schedules.

Pros

entry level lab experience

Cons

large workload, bad management, minimum compensation

Often fast paced, great people and friendly management

The people really made the job. The work could be repetitive and sometimes stressful but there was always opportunities to conduct a project/do some quality improvement. The management were very friendly/approachable. Great team lead who was very accommodating, easy to talk to and open to suggestions. Very flexible so great work life balance. Amazing mental health awareness and an excellent mental health first aid team & team lead. Detailed pay reviews and clear progression structure but the pay was far too low given the high pressure at times.

Pros

Excellent mental health support, highly flexible, amazing team & management

Cons

Low pay, stressful at times

Terrible soul destroying place

Avoid at all costs. Terrible management. Terrible pay. No rewards or loyalty shown. No employee benefits. No maternity pay. The more useless you are, the better you will get on. Hard workers are punished. Management team I.e. lab manager are a disgrace. The worst employers I have ever had.

Pros

Cons

Pay. Management. Communication. Benefits.

Don’t waste your time!

Manager is clueless, arrogant and lazy! Management is terrible in general. No room for advancement. They definitely have favorites. You can basically go above and beyond for this place and you will get no appreciation for it. The pay sucks. Be prepared to do the job of three people. Work environment is not team based. It’s basically every man for himself. I don’t know how they are still running. Oh, and be prepared to have your schedule changed about 10 times in a year and you will have no say in it.

Pros

Health Insurance

Cons

No breaks, overworked, underpaid, management is clueless

You are disposable

The company does not care for it’s employees at all, and the management has the belief that everyone is disposable. You will work an unbelievable amount of overtime for no recognition, and are expected to only care about your job-

24 August 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience of working at ALS is not how we endeavor it to be. We are constantly working on improvement and will take your feedback onboard.

No chance at success

I needed some quick cash (the pay is slightly above fast food store) and they ALWAYS have “now hiring” signs flying, so that should have been my first sign…but u live n learn right? There is no advancement, no promotions except for the good ole boys, and i developed a pretty nasty rash while i was there in the 110 heat in dark warehouse with air quality of a truck muffler… it’s a quickie relationship there, they wont let u get comfortable anyway….

Excellent place to work for those willing to work

I have worked here for over 5 years and I have no complaints. I feel like it is a great and rewarding company for individuals willing to work. The pay is good, the benefits are great and the company overall does a good job in showing they care about their employees.

Routine tasks and unusual shifts, lack of job security and very low salary

The lab analyst position is a very basic job without any engaging challenges. It is more like working in a line of production of a factory. Might be good for people without any specific education. Do not think of it as anything which is even remotely close to a scientific job.

Pros

Flexible in changing shifts, nice and respectful people.

Cons

Poor work place condition; e.g., cold over nights and extremely hot in hot days.

Only bad here

Management is horrible. Period. Terrible people skills and will not interact with people working on the floor unless they like you. Unless you like working in a maze it's cool.

Poor management

This place is a complete chaos, they don’t order supplies on time and then expect workers to work hard, that lab is a mess with no sign of any cooling system for summer, (if you like super humid weather then this is the best place for you). They over hire in summer only to layoff 50% of them later on. Career advancement in based on if the manager “likes” you or not. Pay is not that good (which isn’t news anymore) Most of the department managers are egoistic and rude. Avoid if you can, or come join the Chaos

Pros

Can’t think of any

Cons

Too many to list

Work here if you want to hate your life

They have no training program, so they'll just throw new hires into the hustle and bustle of the laboratory operating at full strength and just hope the new hire will understand everything quickly.I was rushed to certify some methodologies despite never have even seeing the entire procedure from start to finish, or with no extensive help with LIMS or the complexities of data entry and how to format and save everything. The desktop is a mess and I can't find anything I need quickly, which is not good for a job that is time-sensitive.My coworkers who were tasked with "training" me become increasingly impatient day by day and raise their voices at me when I made a mistake, even if it's the first of its kind. I think professionally rather than raising voices to someone who is clearly in a new environment and doesn't understand every little detail, maybe better corrective action can be taken such as making it easier for the new hire to understand what's going on, where things go, why things happen, etc. in a detailed training program. This place is toxic and is perpetually understaffed, leading to a bitter and hostile work environment because the company is too cheap to get more help, and when they do (ie. a temporary position, like me) they throw me in with minimal training and expect me to learn complex databases or "just know" where samples come from and what type of samples they are based on random labels that have inconsistent codes and no regularity to them. The company also is very cheap and we use lab equipment that is so dated and breaks down. Not to mention, I'm not -

Pros

They're so desperate, they'll probably hire you without even interviewing you

Cons

You dread coming in to work, no training, no benefits, constantly understaffed, you get belittled by coworkers for making an error, I could go on for days.

Favorites

This company plays favorites. If you are not in the inner circle, you are looked down upon. Long unnecessary hours. The owner is a true con artist with his customers

Pros

Travail répétitif - risque grave de blessures

Seulement 2 postes de travail possible: broyage des roches ou pulvérisation. Dans les 2 cas, il s'agit d'un travail très physique dans un environnement chaud, bruillant et poussiéreux.La charge de travail et considérable et le type de travail répétitif avec de fortes chances de développer des tandinites, bursites et maux de dos.Les employés ont droit aux avantages seulement après 9 mois de travail, le temps supplémentaire et les possiblilitées d'avancement sont inexistants.

Pros

Gestionnaire sympathique

Cons

Mouvement répétitif, pas d'avancement

Petite entreprise d aide a la personne

Entreprise d aide a la personne. Avec peu d heures de travail a la clé

Pros

Travail en autonomie

Cons

Peu de matériel

Pays the bills

Can be ok to work in with colleagues alike but management are quick to ruin a person's confidence and they make you always feel small and you'll be told everything you didn't do and not enough of.Targets reached are never mentioned or realised..

Pros

Leaving the building after a hard day

Cons

Coming into the building for more suffering

Was a good experience as an entry level job, but I was eager to move on.

Working at ALS Tribology is tough. There’s a high turnover, low wages, and a lot of overtime that you’re either pressured to take on or you need to to earn enough income. I look back somewhat fondly as the experience humbled me for the rest of my career. However I would not recommend anyone staying here long. Working in this lab was an entry level job that led to an opportunity at a manufacturer for an industry that is related to tribology.

Pros

A lot of the coworkers were good hard working people, if you try you can gain a lot of valuable lab experience that can transfer over to other jobs, hence this is a good entry level company if you don’t have many options after school

Cons

Bad work life balance - a lot of overtime; low wages; safety measures need improving

20 May 2021
We’re sorry to hear you didn’t receive the level of career support you were hoping for and we are working towards improving our offering in this space. Currently our Learning & Development team are designing an internal career planning and mentoring framework soon to be launched.

Get ready to work hard!

Overall, my experience working as a Sample Prep Technician was very positive. I got to login samples received from mines all across BC and the world (drill core, pulp, soil, vegetation). Management does care about safety. The team is great, and as long as you work hard you will succeed at ALS. While the work is dusty and labour-intesive, it is still good, honest work and I would recommend this job for anybody who wants a shot at getting into the mining/mineral exploration or geochemistry industries. Do not apply if you are afraid of hard work.

Pros

Hard, honest work. Great team.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

11 April 2021
Thank you for your review and it is great to hear that working at ALS was a 5 star experience for you! It is true, in Sample Preparation you get good exposure to the mining industry and work hard. While the opportunity for advancement may be more limited in one location, we are opening 4 new locations in Canada & the US this year which means we have management positions available for those who are interested in relocating. As a global organization, we have opportunities elsewhere as well! It's too bad we couldn't keep you but we do hope you found something you enjoy!

Terrible place to work

If you can at all help it, avoid this place at all costs! In several years of work experience, this place hands down has the worst corporate culture I have ever come across and it's not even close. It all starts from a completely insane CEO who could care less about employees and works it way down. The job/life balance is beyond atrocious and job security is nonexistent.

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

EVERYTHING else

20 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. We are taking your advice and feedback seriously and if you would like to share more about your experience please contact the Corporate HR management team confidentially by emailing ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ALS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?