ALS

ALS Employee Reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Hard work

This place will work you to the bone to meet quotas and if you meet them they push even harder, they'll replace you in a heartbeat once you enviable burn out.Training here is like a terrible game of telephone, your trainer doesn't know most of the job, their trainer didn't either and the supervisor definitely doesn't know.Management acts as though they are always right and have all the answers, but when any problems arise they act as though you should know what to do and offer no assistance.

Cons

Mandatory holidays, mandatory overtime, management that cares only about bottom line

They don't care about their employees

Poor management, don't care about employee well being. I raised that I was really struggling working the night shift and living alone. My manager didn't seem interested.

Decent place to work

I worked at ALS for and it is a pretty typical large company to work for. Hard to advance very far within the company and below average pay for what they expect of you.

Pros

Easy going management team

Cons

Terrible Pay

20 May 2021
Thank you for providing feedback and we regret that you felt discontent with your wages. ALS endeavors to pay market rates for the type of work our employees do by completing annual reviews that take into account inflation changes and that benchmark to the location the facility is in. If you would like to provide further details about your pay situation so we can look into pay equity in your specific region, please confidentially email the Corporate HR Management team at ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com. Our goal is to ensure fair wages are paid to all our valued staff, in addition to company benefits and training opportunities so your further insight will help us improve in this area.

It a hard working place

It's a hard working place that requires you to stand on your feet for long periods of time you get really dirty but in the end it's well worth it!!! I loved working for this company!!!

11 April 2021
Thank you for your review of what it is like to work at ALS. We are so happy to hear you loved working for us despite the hard work. Some people have said that they love the workout (saves on the gym membership) and that being busy makes the day go by faster. We appreciate the feedback and hope you found something that you enjoy just as much!

High school environment

Cliques in every department making it difficult to have a comfortable work environment. Poor management with advancements from favoritism. Overworked and underpaid with little room for advancement.

11 April 2021
We appreciate your feedback. Making ALS a great place to work and continuous improvement are very important to us. We will review your comments with regional management with an eye towards continuous improvement. Thank you for your review and we wish you the best.

Though job, low compensation

Do not recommend Fire Assay lab to any university educated jobseeker.The name includes Lab, but the actual place does not look like a lab. More like a production line, all people with full PPE (Even respirator), trying hard to achieve the shift objectives which means non-stop rush during the entire shift.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Dangerous work, very fast pace, no job security

11 April 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. Fire Assay is a very specific type of analysis that is very important to our customers but is not the typical "laboratory job". It is unfortunate that it was not a good fit for you. We do have more traditional laboratory departments at ALS available as well for those that are interested. We appreciate the feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Disrespectful and underpaid

Rude people searched me almost everyday entering work (asked around I was the only one they did it too). Never got a wageslip paid different amount every week, for same amount of hours. Poor management

Pros

Cons

Boring, no social life, paid wrong every week without fail, overworked

Turn up for work to find they changed my shift without telling me

The work was very good, but unfortunately staff communication skills need to be improved and to be looked at , and to look closely to the bully, also need staff that knows what there doing ,

Pros

Nice job

Cons

Communication none, feel cant talk to them about problems, some staff dont wear ppe for chemicals, also staff dont put ppe on to go to red area cross contamination with covid

Horrible Place to work

The management at ALS is horrible and they treat their employees like absolute garbage. I would recommend never working at this place and to avoid it like the plague. Staff that have been there for years have never received a raise. It is very difficult to become permanent unless you are a supervisors favorite. Senior staff come and go as they please because they won't get laid off. You are expected to do crazy amounts of work and rush through it because they are understaffed and refuse to hire help to save money, even during the busy seasons. They keep lots of staff as casual so they don't have to give you benefits, sick days or vacation days and you are easily expendable.

Pros

Cons

Under paid, long hours, under staffed, horrible supervisors and management

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Working in a seasonal industry does present its challenges. We do our best to staff up for peak season but mirroring staffing levels with increasing sample volumes is a tough balance to achieve. When you factor in the training time for new staff, it is understandable that stress levels get elevated. It is true that we hire seasonal employees on as casual and have recently implemented a more structured process to convert long term casual employees to full-time so they can get benefits. I don't know how long you were with ALS, but we do provide structured wage increases every year (except last year because of the business impact caused by Covid). We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future career!

Good people to work with.

Good people to work with and they offered competitive health insurance. Salary was okay. Management was engaged with the employers. They had the latest equipment.

20 May 2021
Thanks very much for your balanced and fair review. Were glad you felt that management was engaged and that we had the latest equipment. It's something we work hard on and we're pleased our efforts resonated with you.

Unreasonable Expectations

Even before the shortages due to COVID each employee is not only expected to complete the work load of 2-3 employees, but demanded. Strong armed into working long days, weekends, without consideration for personal time or outside commitments. There isn't an official scheduled shift, so management will require you to come in for odd hours.The company is withholding all raises due to their losses from COVID, regardless of employees being forced to work in multiple areas of the lab between prep techs, instrument analysts, and front office employees. The managers in the lab on salary are taken advantage of for as many overtime hours as possible without being paid overtime rates. When confronting the lab director about unfair wages, it was said that the company expects the employees to make up for losses due to COVID.The employees are friendly and welcoming, however there isn't one of them that isn't both physically and mentally exhausted. It is not uncommon to see multiple employees working 10-12 hour shifts 5 days a week and still be asked to work weekends.The work itself is not challenging and somewhat engaging, however there isn't much outside of "cookbook chemistry".

Pros

Flexible schedule, coworkers are friendly. Occasionally allowed overtime (but only if approved based on revenue).

Cons

Lab director is the physical embodiment of corporate, lacking empathy. Company uses and and abuses employees. Non-livable wages, long hours.

11 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Our intention at ALS is to create a workplace that is inclusive, where all employees feel valued and appreciated. The COVID-19 pandemic impacted all businesses and industries in various ways, and ALS was not immune from these challenges. I am really sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our goal of creating a great place to work.

Horrible management

It is an insanely easy job but the management is horrid and they value quantity over quality and safety. There are alot of safety violations along with shift favoritism and unfair treatment. Raises and opportunities god to those who have a better relationship with the managers not to those who have good work ethic. If they changes management this would be a dre job but sadly is lack luster

Pros

Easy

Cons

Horrid management and favoritism

6 March 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience of working at ALS is not how we endeavor it to be. We do have a strong safety culture and a structured wage increase program, which is available to all employees. But it is regrettable to hear that there are perceptions of favoritism at the site, we will work with the site to enhance communications around our structured wage increases and how to to report safety concerns. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

na

Hardest part of the job was the amount of responsibility given and pressure to deliver despite not being allowed overtime. Coworkers were great but it was a lot of pressure and few room for mobility.

9 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience did not match our intention of creating a great working environment. We are working toward additional training opportunities for employees to encourage and facilitate career growth.

They don't care about your health

Management gets upset with you if you're exhausted, sick, or have other emergencies. You're constantly pushed to keep going and if any mistakes are made you are written up as a result due to physical and mental exhaustion. Only 2 breaks in an 8 hour shift; 15 minute and 30 minute lunch. You are only allowed to call in sick 2 days in a row, any more than that then your employment is locked out until you get a doctor's note which a lot of us end up losing employment at ALS as a result.

Pros

Decent enough pay

Cons

Standing on concrete all day in steel toe boots

6 March 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS is not as we endeavor it to be. We comply with all employment standards requirements for breaks and require a doctor's after an employee has been sick for three days. While the work is physical, overtime is voluntary as we respect the need for people to have mental and physical rest. We hope you work that is better suited to you and wish you the best in your future endeavors!

Generally toxic and only numbers oriented workplace.

Management doesn't care about anything other then production. Zero training and very hostile working space. But they get upset if you dont know how to do something correctly.

6 March 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience does not match the programs and initiatives we have in place across all of our ALS locations. We pride ourselves in having a strong culture of training to ensure that employees know how to do their jobs and do them safely. We also have a recognition program that identifies and rewards employees for going above & beyond. While we operate in an production environment and have production related targets to meet, we strive to create a culture that is inclusive, fair and respectful to everyone. We will work with the site to look further in to why your experience differed so greatly from the programs we have in place. Thank you again for your comments.

Poorly managed

Departments don’t communicate between each other. Management doesn’t care about anything or anyone as long as they achieve their own personal goals. No appreciation for above average work.

Pros

Steady paycheck

Cons

Poor management

6 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We regret to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our efforts of creating a great work environment for our employees. Our employees are important to us, and we actively seek their feedback through our confidential global employee survey. In prior survey years, communication has not been identified as an area of opportunity in Reno. Having said that, there appears to be a few recent comments relating to poor communication so we will address that with the site. We appreciate you sharing your review.

Great company, friendlystaff, and employees

The company is full of employees from diverse different continents,countries, ethnic and religious backgrounds and everyone is like a one big happyfamily, everyone greets the other with a smile always ready,willing and hapy to answer and or help out the other with any question or qerry.very friendly staff and empoyees.

Pros

very friendly coworkers, everyone is always ready to help the other, free tea, bread, fruits

Horrible company to work with

I worked there for 2 years as a lab technician, and they still owe me money. It's a disgusting company with no principles where you won't see your efforts valued. Demotivating, bad paid and low quality job with no expectations apart from gain some experience to work in better companies.

Empresa dinâmica, competitiva e boa de trabalhar

A empresa é muito boa. No entanto, bastante exigente.

Pros

Vale refeição, plano de saúde, plano odontológico e vale transporte

Cons

O trabalho prejudica a saúde do funcionário

A good place for a new grad but not for a long term career

ALS is a good place to work at if you are looking for a laboratory experience. They offer a lot of environmental services. I have worked there for almost 2 years and I was one of the people to almost get laid off but they changed their mind on the very last day. However, I had to decline and quit due to relocation to another country. On a typical day at work in summer, it gets crazy busy sometimes your break gets late. In winter depending on your department it can also get busy. I learned the basics of laboratory operations and protocols. The management are okay, really sad they have to lay off a lot of their staff in the midst of pandemic but I guess that's business. Job security is nothing at that point. Hardest part of the job is it gets stressful. You're overworked due to amount of workload, understaffed, the pay is really bad, management expects a lot from you, growth doesn't really happen because the opportunity is limited and overtime is expected. Your co-workers make the job enjoyable and there are treats and party too(not free, tho) but nice to see co-workers not in their lab coats.

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Because we are a seasonal industry, things get very busy during the spring/summer months and we realize that this can get stressful for employees, which is why we give out treats and arrange parties (not during Covid) to try and lift people's spirits. I remember the Winnipeg lay-offs last year. With Covid, there was so much business uncertainty and we felt so relieved that we could cancel those lay-offs. Unfortunately, that still resulted in losing a committed employee like you. We hope you are doing well in your job and continuing to stay safe.

Good environment, nice stuff and managers, poor salary.

The staff is nice. I feel it is a nice environment. Whenever resorting to the managers, they are very accesible, the work culture is ok. Foreign staff is welcomed. The hardest part of the job is the salary, it is not according to the responsability and tasks. It is difficult to make the ends meet with it. The location makes you to be dependent on a car, what increases your expenses and the company does not cover your petrol. The most enjoyable part of the job is the job itself and staff, and managers.

Pros

Staff, managers, environments, job itself.

Cons

poor salary, location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ALS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?