ALS

ALS Employee Reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Hard work

This place will work you to the bone to meet quotas and if you meet them they push even harder, they'll replace you in a heartbeat once you enviable burn out.Training here is like a terrible game of telephone, your trainer doesn't know most of the job, their trainer didn't either and the supervisor definitely doesn't know.Management acts as though they are always right and have all the answers, but when any problems arise they act as though you should know what to do and offer no assistance.

Cons

Mandatory holidays, mandatory overtime, management that cares only about bottom line

Nice supervisor and manager

The worst thing is that there is no job security in this company and at any time you can get laid of with no reason.Some coworkers are nice and some really mean and destructive.The work stress is manageable.

Pros

Nice supervisor and manager

Cons

No job security at all

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thoughtful review. It is true, we work in a seasonal industry which means that we hire at the beginning of the season and need to adjust staffing levels when the season starts to slow down. We are honest about this when recruiting to fill seasonal roles but we do acknowledge that lay-offs have an impact on the employee group. We hope you were able to find alternate employment with minimal delay and wish you the best with your future employment!

Place is an absolute shitshow

As a whole I'd say that ALS Geochemistry wasn't a terrible place to work. The environment was pretty good, the coworkers were mostly cool, they were relatively flexible most of the time.Where I take issue is that the head of the place makes decisions very erratically, there's absolutely no communication even within one department. The only way to actually make the numbers they want you to make is to ignore all of their QC, which if you get caught doing you will get in trouble. The whole job sets you up to fail basically. I would not recommend coming here if you want to be at all passionate about what you do. This place is a paycheck for some, a stepping stone for better jobs for others, since it is possible to work your way into lab experience.If you need a paycheck, this place isn't bad. Just don't make the mistake of caring too much about what you do.

Pros

Easy job, decent pay, decent benefits, can take breaks on your own time in Analytical.

Cons

Management isn't great, communication was awful, general laziness, you're punished for going above and beyond, every day decisions made reached a new low, PPE is for show, masks are not provided.

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review. It is unfortunate that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. In line with our core value of continuous improvement, we will take your comments and engage local management with an eye towards making communication better and reviewing our QC processes. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future career!

Productive work place to learn apply skills

A typical day at work involved sample collection, testing, and submission of data.I learned a lot about environmental compliance and how that applies to different business practices. Management was very supportive and enforced a strong safety culture. Workplace culture was very professional and collaborative. The hardest part of the job was long hours sometimes required for certain tests. The most enjoyable part of the job was people I worked with and potluck lunch days.

Pros

Strong safety culture, good training program, lots of opportunity for overtime for those interested

Cons

Long hours, occasional understaffing

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and balanced review. Your comments about safety, training and lunch potlucks really highlight the workplace culture we strive to create. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience working at ALS and wish you all the best in your future career!

Productive and fun workplace

Working at ALS was fun and rewarding, the staff was friendly and good to get along with, great leadership with clear vision, great experience and highly recommendable...

23 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is a pleasure to read when the work we do to engage our employees and create a strong work culture has hit the mark for an employee. We wish you the best and appreciated the feedback.

Outstanding Leadership, Great Co-Workers - Data Entry Dept.

My five year tenure at ALS Tribology was the best working environment I've ever experienced. The management was incredibly accommodating when any of us had personal and/or health problems arise. There is ongoing training, the opportunity to learn several proprietary software applications, and the customers we served were a joy to work with.I would have stayed until retirement, but due to family members' health issues I had to leave.

Pros

Weekly potlucks, Christmas celebration with white elephant gift party, leadership, management

Cons

Non

2 October 2020
THank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with ALS. We are sorry to hear that your family member is having health issues.

all round good company

als is a pleasant company to work for. management can improve in taking feedback from workers and managing the business but apart from that, great company to work for.

Pros

7/7 roster, team environment, always something new to learn

Cons

management

It is good just if you do not have other option

I worked in the Tribology division (oil and gas). Small laboratory in a huge corporation with a lot of stress and workload, very fast pace. Regional manager is so racist , lab supervisor is so rude and impolite and they cover for each other. The environment is not healthy at all, oily and full of dangerous odors from chemical solvents that there is no willing to fix the issues.

Pros

You will have full time job and if you are permanent benefits

Cons

Weak and very weak management

23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It is unfortunate to hear the comment about racist management as we are a global employer, embrace diversity and practice equity & inclusion in our workplace. If you would like to provide additional information regarding this statement, we can look in to it further. You can do so by contacting the Integrity Hotline or leaving a message through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com.Because we work with chemicals and other toxic substances, ALS not only meets but exceeds all H&S regulations. H&S underlies everything we do and it is consistently scored in our employee engagement survey at the top of what we do best for our employees. It is surprising to hear that you felt the work environment was not safe and we would love to understand more about it. If you would kindly leave additional information through one of the two avenues above, it would be greatly appreciated!

Horrific management, poor culture, rampant nepotism, No respect for employees

This place is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Upper management bullies and intimidates employees and plays favorites with certain long term employees who do not pull their weight. It's management by exception for favorite employees. Employees are not valued. No training for corporate staff; project plans, schedules, timelines get revised weekly at whilm of senior management who have no clue what it takes to run a company or manage employees fairly. Turnover is high due to certain senior manager's poor communication and management skills who is known as the intimidator or bully company wide. I can't express how horrific it is to work at this company's Houston location.

Pros

Free parking in very bad area of town (high crime)

Cons

Terrible management, bad Houston location, Low moral

2 October 2020
Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you had an uncomfortable working experience with ALS. To help us better understand the issues you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the issues you faced in Houston so we can explore improvement opportunities. ALS prides itself on being a diverse companyand our culture aims to be inclusive, respectful and supportive of differences every single day. Please reach out to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

Awful managemnet

Toxic managers make your days miserable while not contributing anything useful. The co workers outside of management were quite intelligent. This is a chemical lab version of a sweat shop. Stay away.

Pros

Not the worst starting wage.

Cons

Toxic, zero advancement.

23 October 2020
We appreciate our feedback. It is true that we do experience high sample volumes during our busy season which do increase workloads. It is unfortunate to hear the reference about toxic management. If you would like to provide more information, we can review this situation further. You can leave information through the Integrity Hotline or by messaging us through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com. Thank you for your comments about ALS.

If you want to live at a place of employer that does not appreciate you this is a place for you

No opportunity for advancement. Expected to do the work of 3 people. Management does not listen or helpout. Expect everything and get nothing. Come early and stay late. Terrible pay. If you want a job here get hired thru the temp agency to secure time off and have then mediate time off for you. Do NOT continue on with company as you take a bump in pay. Poor management and communication. Everything is a secret at this facility. The manager is lazy and arrogant. In addition, he has a huge ego problem. Also, enjoys picking favorites and making others suffer that are not HIS favorite.Employees do not get proper breaks. Equipment is broken or out of service for months or years. If I were you id RUN and not waste your time on applying.

Pros

Insurance benefits?

Cons

No breaks, come early stay late, work on days off, live at facility, management is terrible, company is aweful

23 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. ALS has a culture of promoting from within where possible. With locations across the globe, there is always an opportunity for the advancement of qualified employees. Employees are given the appropriate break times as listed in our Employee Handbook, which follow State and Federal guidelines. We have already done an analysis of the employee hours/overtime and have not found evidence to corroborate your claim. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with management at the site where you were located. Please reach out to the HR group with additional information regarding your experiences. You can send information through to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

I loved working here it was a lot of fun

I enjoyed my time working here staff was friendly and made it a positive working environment I recommend this job to anyone that is looking into the company

They tell you one thing then back stab you with lie's

Going through HR do to there false accusations with no steps taken on matter but false accusations and dismissal they tell you employees matter but they don't I was sick and not at work the two days they say I did someting I never did and I will take lie detector test to prove it they know that I was taking steps to go thru there HR to get the people that where bullying me and the three other people

23 October 2020
It sounds like there was a lot happening for you when you were separated from ALS. If you feel that there is additional information that you would like to be considered or if you would like these circumstances to be reviewed further, please contact our Integrity Hotline or send us a message through the Contact US link on alsglobal.com.

Worst management I've ever seen

Manager calls you racist and a lier when you speak up for your rights, gave out perm lay offs to workers due to covid-19 just to hire new ones 2 weeks later.

Pros

Cons

Worst management

22 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. It would be helpful to have more information in order to further review the concerns you raise. Please call our Integrity Hotline or email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further in to your concerns.

Overqualified and Underpaid.

They hire most people with University Degrees for Assistant position at minimum wage. Good for entry level to gain some experience. But not something you can spend your life working. Just get experience and find something that pays you fairly.

Pros

clean organized labs and common areas.

Cons

No advancement

22 October 2020
We appreciate your feedback. Given the seasonal nature of our work, it is a good fit for those who are looking to gain work experience in a laboratory setting. As a result, our compensation structure is designed around this seasonal hiring. However, we also have structured wage increase programs in place for permanent employees and professional development opportunities for those that want to grow their career with us. It appears that there is an opportunity to do a better job messaging this to all employees.We sincerely appreciate your comments and hope you found a role that is more rewarding for you!

Good place to get experience

Most people hired as casual with no guarantee to make it to the end of the year but if you get hired full time its a great place to start out your career to get experience then go somewhere they will pay you properly

24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Given the seasonal nature of our work, we find that it is a good fit for people who are looking to gain work experience or try out something new. It helps us with our seasonal staffing needs and provides a good opportunity for job seekers to gain that experience. We are happy to hear that it worked so well for you. ALS has also been focusing on employee career development for those employees who remain with ALS and want to grow their career with us. As a global company, we have numerous areas for employees to take that next step; such as management, quality assurance, health & safety and business development. While we do largely employ seasonal employees, we also want people to know that there are career opportunities available at ALS and that we make it a priority to find internal candidates to fill those opportunities first.We thank you again for your feedback and wish you luck in your career!

Good company to work for

I enjoy working at ALS environmental in Waterloo. The management is good. Cooperative co workers. Good entry level lab. Work is not so stressful. Overall I like working at this lab

Pros

Good entry level company.

24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is rewarding to hear when an employee finds the work culture welcoming and collaborative. Our Waterloo laboratory has done a lot of work in this area through its highly active social committee and engaged management team. We appreciate your feedback; thanks again.

Great people

when I was there in 2012 it was a 4 month contract. I was pregnant with my second child so the contract worked out perfectly. There was some stress because it was the busy season so there was lots of over time. It took me about 2 weeks to really start to get use to the job and after about a month I was comfortable with it. It was mostly run by women and the atmosphere was very friendly and team oriented. Everyone helped everyone else when necessary. I really enjoyed it. I would definitely consider going back if they had an opening for me.

24 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that the temporary contract worked well for you. (And we wish you a belated congratulations on the birth of your second child!). Things do get busy during peak season but it is reassuring to hear that employees in the Thunder Bay laboratory remained friendly and helpful. In fact, we have done a Global Employee Engagement Survey the past three years and working with great co-workers consistently scores at the top across the world!If you are interested in working at ALS again, career opportunities can be found on our website at alsglobal.com. We appreciate your comments and wish you the best.

fun place to work. nice people. good management

definately lot of potentials to grow. very futuristic, goal oriented fun place to work. I learned many new things from work with task and also from the people I worked with as well

24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is encouraging to hear that employees enjoyed working with us and grew their skills while they were at ALS. As a global employer with locations around the world, we have many opportunities for employees to grow their career and develop different skills. And while we do work hard, we also try to inject some fun in to work and recognize employees. It is great to hear when our efforts have an impact. We do appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future!

Poor communication skills

Management there have poor communication skills and they like to like, denie and twist words to make you look bad at times in order to get production out of their workers.

24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear about your experience at our Sudbury location as it is not aligned with the work environment that we strive to create for our employees. If you feel comfortable, we would appreciate having more detailed information so we can look into this matter further. You can submit your concern to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com. Someone in HR will then contact with you. We hope to hear from you and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Go elsewhere

Don't expect a raise, no room for improvement, schedule changes and your not asked but demanded to work that shift, your only useful as long as you don't question anything. If your laid off during slow times you wont get called back and they expect you to reapply and start at the bottom. You only retain your job (even if your bad at it) if your hooking up with a boss or their relative. Go somewhere else where you will be treated with respect and dignity

24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience at ALS did not match the programs we have in place to create an engaging work environment. For example, we do offer regular wage increases to employees who demonstrate proficiency in their jobs and provide cost of living increases. ALS also has a forum for employees to provide confidential feedback about the company through the annual employee engagement survey. This allows us to identify trends and highlight the areas to improve on. We will take your feedback and review further to determine the reason(s) why your experience was so different from the programs we have in place in Reno. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ALS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?