ALS

ALS Employee Reviews for Laboratory Assistant

Laboratory Assistant37 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Amazing Job, kind coworkers, confusing experience

I loved working at ALS. Unfortunately, my experience there near the end of it left me scared to go back to the workforce. I have bad anxiety and depression, and I'm guessing that might be the reason I was told I was "giving attitude" and being "unprofessional". I'm not mad, I'm just... So confused.

Get the experience and leave

Only hire people with a degree (and state that in the hiring process that it is required) although they pay you like you don't need one. It isn't even a requirement when you look at the contract (which is why they are allowed to pay you so low). I was bullied in my department on day shift for three months and it was my first job out of university. They train you on day shift even if you are not hired for day shift for no apparent reason other than the team lead on days likes to play favorites and thinks they are superior. If the team lead doesn't like you then expect to be ignored and treated even worse. Extremely cliquey and do not have any sort of proper training system which is frustrating. I can't even describe how terrible my training was, it was not linear whatsoever and you feel terrible if you did something wrong because trainers will make you feel that way. Once I was on afternoon shift things were so much easier and all of my co-workers were nice and wonderful, a complete shift of energy it was like day and night. Had independence in my job and was always trusted that I knew what I was doing and had an amazing team lead. Good job to learn and get experience working in a lab, however the pay is terrible for how hard you work and are rarely recognized for it. Benefits kick in if you aren't laid off which they usually do once winter hits. Have an unfair system of obtaining a full-time role, as some get it after three months and some after nine for no reason whatsoever. They pay is alright if you get the afternoon premium but much too low on day shift and not even worth -

Pros

Nice people (on afternoon/night shift), Independence on the job (once you are trained), Lab experience

Cons

Low pay, No proper training system in place, Favoritism

Good if you are looking for something short term

Fast paced temporary position. Don't expect to become a permanent employee. Repetitive work, but easy once you get used to it. Good if you are looking for something to do for a couple months, but that's about it.

I had awful experience. Manager didn’t bother to meet new hires. I was bullied and felt helpless. Training system is awful.

Awful management. Rude coworker. Confusing training system. Unfair pay based on the amount of work. Dint expect to be compensated if you get injured. Health and safe will make it looks like it was your fault.

Pros

Lab setting work experience

Cons

Poor pay. Poor management. Stressful

It’s definitely a welcoming place to work at.

I have a good time working at ALS. The co-workers make my experience there much appreciated. The managers are also nice and helpful. I mostly have good and productive days.

Bad management, overworked and underpaid

Management was bad they were unsupportive and disorganized while working there different managers wanted me to do different things there was no singular plan. They even wanted me to do tasks I was not hired for and the training was drawn out with a lot of policy readings with little lab time in the beginning. Scheduling was mismanaged despite me making it clear that I was a student and they would need to be flexible with my time slots. In regards to scheduling, management wanted me to call them to make sure I wasn't needed on holidays instead of them knowing they will need me and scheduling me in it's their responsibility to know that. Couldn't trust my lab supervisor/trainer as everything discussed with her would end up with management. This workplace asks for a lot for minimal compensation in return for large workloads and non-flexible work schedules.

Pros

entry level lab experience

Cons

large workload, bad management, minimum compensation

Pays the bills

Can be ok to work in with colleagues alike but management are quick to ruin a person's confidence and they make you always feel small and you'll be told everything you didn't do and not enough of.Targets reached are never mentioned or realised..

Pros

Leaving the building after a hard day

Cons

Coming into the building for more suffering

High school environment

Cliques in every department making it difficult to have a comfortable work environment. Poor management with advancements from favoritism. Overworked and underpaid with little room for advancement.

11 April 2021
We appreciate your feedback. Making ALS a great place to work and continuous improvement are very important to us. We will review your comments with regional management with an eye towards continuous improvement. Thank you for your review and we wish you the best.

Generally toxic and only numbers oriented workplace.

Management doesn't care about anything other then production. Zero training and very hostile working space. But they get upset if you dont know how to do something correctly.

6 March 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience does not match the programs and initiatives we have in place across all of our ALS locations. We pride ourselves in having a strong culture of training to ensure that employees know how to do their jobs and do them safely. We also have a recognition program that identifies and rewards employees for going above & beyond. While we operate in an production environment and have production related targets to meet, we strive to create a culture that is inclusive, fair and respectful to everyone. We will work with the site to look further in to why your experience differed so greatly from the programs we have in place. Thank you again for your comments.

Great company, friendlystaff, and employees

The company is full of employees from diverse different continents,countries, ethnic and religious backgrounds and everyone is like a one big happyfamily, everyone greets the other with a smile always ready,willing and hapy to answer and or help out the other with any question or qerry.very friendly staff and empoyees.

Pros

very friendly coworkers, everyone is always ready to help the other, free tea, bread, fruits

A good place for a new grad but not for a long term career

ALS is a good place to work at if you are looking for a laboratory experience. They offer a lot of environmental services. I have worked there for almost 2 years and I was one of the people to almost get laid off but they changed their mind on the very last day. However, I had to decline and quit due to relocation to another country. On a typical day at work in summer, it gets crazy busy sometimes your break gets late. In winter depending on your department it can also get busy. I learned the basics of laboratory operations and protocols. The management are okay, really sad they have to lay off a lot of their staff in the midst of pandemic but I guess that's business. Job security is nothing at that point. Hardest part of the job is it gets stressful. You're overworked due to amount of workload, understaffed, the pay is really bad, management expects a lot from you, growth doesn't really happen because the opportunity is limited and overtime is expected. Your co-workers make the job enjoyable and there are treats and party too(not free, tho) but nice to see co-workers not in their lab coats.

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Because we are a seasonal industry, things get very busy during the spring/summer months and we realize that this can get stressful for employees, which is why we give out treats and arrange parties (not during Covid) to try and lift people's spirits. I remember the Winnipeg lay-offs last year. With Covid, there was so much business uncertainty and we felt so relieved that we could cancel those lay-offs. Unfortunately, that still resulted in losing a committed employee like you. We hope you are doing well in your job and continuing to stay safe.

Place is an absolute shitshow

As a whole I'd say that ALS Geochemistry wasn't a terrible place to work. The environment was pretty good, the coworkers were mostly cool, they were relatively flexible most of the time.Where I take issue is that the head of the place makes decisions very erratically, there's absolutely no communication even within one department. The only way to actually make the numbers they want you to make is to ignore all of their QC, which if you get caught doing you will get in trouble. The whole job sets you up to fail basically. I would not recommend coming here if you want to be at all passionate about what you do. This place is a paycheck for some, a stepping stone for better jobs for others, since it is possible to work your way into lab experience.If you need a paycheck, this place isn't bad. Just don't make the mistake of caring too much about what you do.

Pros

Easy job, decent pay, decent benefits, can take breaks on your own time in Analytical.

Cons

Management isn't great, communication was awful, general laziness, you're punished for going above and beyond, every day decisions made reached a new low, PPE is for show, masks are not provided.

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review. It is unfortunate that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. In line with our core value of continuous improvement, we will take your comments and engage local management with an eye towards making communication better and reviewing our QC processes. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future career!

Overqualified and Underpaid.

They hire most people with University Degrees for Assistant position at minimum wage. Good for entry level to gain some experience. But not something you can spend your life working. Just get experience and find something that pays you fairly.

Pros

clean organized labs and common areas.

Cons

No advancement

22 October 2020
We appreciate your feedback. Given the seasonal nature of our work, it is a good fit for those who are looking to gain work experience in a laboratory setting. As a result, our compensation structure is designed around this seasonal hiring. However, we also have structured wage increase programs in place for permanent employees and professional development opportunities for those that want to grow their career with us. It appears that there is an opportunity to do a better job messaging this to all employees.We sincerely appreciate your comments and hope you found a role that is more rewarding for you!

Good company to work for

I enjoy working at ALS environmental in Waterloo. The management is good. Cooperative co workers. Good entry level lab. Work is not so stressful. Overall I like working at this lab

Pros

Good entry level company.

24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is rewarding to hear when an employee finds the work culture welcoming and collaborative. Our Waterloo laboratory has done a lot of work in this area through its highly active social committee and engaged management team. We appreciate your feedback; thanks again.

Great people

when I was there in 2012 it was a 4 month contract. I was pregnant with my second child so the contract worked out perfectly. There was some stress because it was the busy season so there was lots of over time. It took me about 2 weeks to really start to get use to the job and after about a month I was comfortable with it. It was mostly run by women and the atmosphere was very friendly and team oriented. Everyone helped everyone else when necessary. I really enjoyed it. I would definitely consider going back if they had an opening for me.

24 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that the temporary contract worked well for you. (And we wish you a belated congratulations on the birth of your second child!). Things do get busy during peak season but it is reassuring to hear that employees in the Thunder Bay laboratory remained friendly and helpful. In fact, we have done a Global Employee Engagement Survey the past three years and working with great co-workers consistently scores at the top across the world!If you are interested in working at ALS again, career opportunities can be found on our website at alsglobal.com. We appreciate your comments and wish you the best.

fun place to work. nice people. good management

definately lot of potentials to grow. very futuristic, goal oriented fun place to work. I learned many new things from work with task and also from the people I worked with as well

24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is encouraging to hear that employees enjoyed working with us and grew their skills while they were at ALS. As a global employer with locations around the world, we have many opportunities for employees to grow their career and develop different skills. And while we do work hard, we also try to inject some fun in to work and recognize employees. It is great to hear when our efforts have an impact. We do appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future!

Get what you want out of it

I went in knowing that this company isn't built to retain talent and even strong work ethic. I just wanted to work to get relevant experience. I didn't get any benefits during my 'casual' employment there but I've had significantly better offers since being laid off due to the nature of their work and their management. I wish people didn't spend as much time speaking ill of other competing companies and gossiping behind others back but it comes with the nature of this company and those that work here. They systematically work to keeping things the same and that's not beneficial for ambitious and intellectual folks so as long as you are aware of what you're getting yourself into and what you want out of your job, it's a totally reasonable place to work. Majority of the folks have low education and poor academic foundations but this is appropriate for the jobs/roles within this company and they do invest in training people thoroughly. They're no different from any other third party testing company. Since they don't compensate people fairly, they emphasize on company-wide group meetings where a few individuals get recognition which is definitely encouraging.

Pros

Location is very easily accessible for those without cars

Cons

low pay

24 June 2020
Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough review about your experience working at ALS. The majority of employees we hire are temporary due to the seasonal nature of our work. It is true that we hire temporary employees at entry level wages and that the work can get routine. However, for employees that remain with ALS, there are opportunities to develop additional skills and grow a career. Sounds like you saw a bit of that in the thorough training you referenced. Fostering a constructive work culture is important to us. It is great to hear about that in your comments around recognition and training. However, it is unfortunate to hear about gossiping and unprofessional comments about competitors. If you would like to share more detail about this, please go to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com and someone in HR will reach out to you. Again, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and are truly happy to hear that you were able to use the experience you obtained by working at ALS to find a better employment opportunity after being laid off. We do wish you the best!

The deal

I work more than 10 years in my opinion that place is the worst place any one can work because they don't care about them employers, they care about the money they don't care about how the employer feels, they don't appreciate what the employers do it, the HR is bad in that place even the supervisors to. they give you a lot of pressure on they want a you work like machine not like a human. IdongEddon't recommend a place for work

27 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We regret to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our efforts of creating a great work environment for our employees. Our employees are important to us, we’ve utilized our employee feedback to create regular social events where employees can interact with each other and have a break from routine production. Due to COVID-19, these events have been halted due to following CDC guidelines recommending social distancing and preventing large gatherings, following this guidance is critical to maintaining the safety and wellbeing of all our employees. We recognize that since ALS is a production laboratory, the fast-paced work is not a good fit for all employees. We wish you the best of luck throughout your career journey.

If you love science ALS is a place for you

ALS is a great place to work, the lab manager is kind and friendly, she was always willing to take time to teach you about what you are doing, not just give you a job and have you do it like a mindless zombie, the GM was always encouraging, and respectful. The managment team always made the work environment feel comfortable. It was honestly a great place to work and I miss it everyday.

24 June 2020
Thank you so much leaving such a heartfelt review. It sad when an engaged employee needs to move on no matter the reason. But is reassuring that the efforts we have done in Reno to engage employees and enhance workplace culture are having an impact. This is largely due to the engaged and committed management team we have at the Reno Laboratory. Thank you for letting us know what a great job they are doing. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best for the future!

Always meeting a certain daily quote

I have learned so much about working in a fast pace environment where you are always working accurately to complete the assigned task or numbers. You need to work really quick, and seat on your desk for hours.

25 October 2019
Thank you for your comments. It is true that our environment is fast paced and accuracy is very important to our customers. We recognize that this environment may not be for everyone; however, we strive to make ALS an engaging place to work through organizing employee activities, giving employees access to ongoing training and providing them with opportunities to share their views. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Productive and fun work place with tennis table

Good people to work with, fun and easygoing environment. Work hours are not great and little room for advancement. Clean work space and good training and safety protocols.

6 May 2019
Thank you for your feedback! It is rewarding to hear that you find your workplace place fun and enjoy working with your team. While it is true that career opportunities may be limited at a particular site, we are a global company with opportunities across different locations within the province, across different provinces or even countries! If you are interested in the possibility of relocating, please speak to your manager or human resources. We also have a variety of training and career development tools available to our employees. Your manager or human resources can help you get started if you are interested.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ALS