ALS

ALS Employee Reviews for Laboratory Technician

Laboratory Technician48 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Fast paced

Is a good job but many issue's with the way management would handle things late nights and busy evenings depending on the whole shift to work hard in order to get out on time

Pros

Can get 4 days on and 4 days off

Cons

Late nights

Was brilliant as Alcontrol but ALS ruined it.

This company has no respect for people. You’re expected to do more and more for less. There’s no appreciation from management and no support for anything. Management have only got where they are because no one else wants the job. Expected to act as management for months with no money.

Not a good workplace

Management is awful. Toxic work environment in multiple departments. You're expected to work a large amount of overtime with no appreciate for the work the employees give.

Was great as G&T..

If you don't crawl up the correct alley or family member you'll likely find yourself laid off when push comes to shove. Join the boys club or be laid off. Be mindful they mathematically lay people off, your 3 months probation period is added to the year so 15 months before they start matching RRSPs great right? Wrong add 3 years to that so four years and 3 months they don't have too pay you what they have match for the Deferred RRSP program. The mass layoffs are simply math you climb the ladder position 1-5 potentially salary years of service etc only to be told there's life after ALS when they heard everyone to the boardroom for the layoff ceremony with others. Highly professional.

Pros

Fun coworkers

Cons

Transparency

10 January 2022
It is unfortunate to hear that your experience with ALS was not as positive as we endeavor it to be. Our work is highly seasonal which means that we do need to staff for the busy months and then reduce levels during the slower months. We will step up our messaging to ensure that employees hired for seasonal work fully understand that. Regarding other concerns you have raised, it would be helpful to have more information in order to further review them. Please email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further into your concerns.

Terrible soul destroying place

Avoid at all costs. Terrible management. Terrible pay. No rewards or loyalty shown. No employee benefits. No maternity pay. The more useless you are, the better you will get on. Hard workers are punished. Management team I.e. lab manager are a disgrace. The worst employers I have ever had.

Pros

Cons

Pay. Management. Communication. Benefits.

Work here if you want to hate your life

They have no training program, so they'll just throw new hires into the hustle and bustle of the laboratory operating at full strength and just hope the new hire will understand everything quickly.I was rushed to certify some methodologies despite never have even seeing the entire procedure from start to finish, or with no extensive help with LIMS or the complexities of data entry and how to format and save everything. The desktop is a mess and I can't find anything I need quickly, which is not good for a job that is time-sensitive.My coworkers who were tasked with "training" me become increasingly impatient day by day and raise their voices at me when I made a mistake, even if it's the first of its kind. I think professionally rather than raising voices to someone who is clearly in a new environment and doesn't understand every little detail, maybe better corrective action can be taken such as making it easier for the new hire to understand what's going on, where things go, why things happen, etc. in a detailed training program. This place is toxic and is perpetually understaffed, leading to a bitter and hostile work environment because the company is too cheap to get more help, and when they do (ie. a temporary position, like me) they throw me in with minimal training and expect me to learn complex databases or "just know" where samples come from and what type of samples they are based on random labels that have inconsistent codes and no regularity to them. The company also is very cheap and we use lab equipment that is so dated and breaks down. Not to mention, I'm not -

Pros

They're so desperate, they'll probably hire you without even interviewing you

Cons

You dread coming in to work, no training, no benefits, constantly understaffed, you get belittled by coworkers for making an error, I could go on for days.

Was a good experience as an entry level job, but I was eager to move on.

Working at ALS Tribology is tough. There’s a high turnover, low wages, and a lot of overtime that you’re either pressured to take on or you need to to earn enough income. I look back somewhat fondly as the experience humbled me for the rest of my career. However I would not recommend anyone staying here long. Working in this lab was an entry level job that led to an opportunity at a manufacturer for an industry that is related to tribology.

Pros

A lot of the coworkers were good hard working people, if you try you can gain a lot of valuable lab experience that can transfer over to other jobs, hence this is a good entry level company if you don’t have many options after school

Cons

Bad work life balance - a lot of overtime; low wages; safety measures need improving

20 May 2021
We’re sorry to hear you didn’t receive the level of career support you were hoping for and we are working towards improving our offering in this space. Currently our Learning & Development team are designing an internal career planning and mentoring framework soon to be launched.

It a hard working place

It's a hard working place that requires you to stand on your feet for long periods of time you get really dirty but in the end it's well worth it!!! I loved working for this company!!!

11 April 2021
Thank you for your review of what it is like to work at ALS. We are so happy to hear you loved working for us despite the hard work. Some people have said that they love the workout (saves on the gym membership) and that being busy makes the day go by faster. We appreciate the feedback and hope you found something that you enjoy just as much!

Horrible management

It is an insanely easy job but the management is horrid and they value quantity over quality and safety. There are alot of safety violations along with shift favoritism and unfair treatment. Raises and opportunities god to those who have a better relationship with the managers not to those who have good work ethic. If they changes management this would be a dre job but sadly is lack luster

Pros

Easy

Cons

Horrid management and favoritism

6 March 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience of working at ALS is not how we endeavor it to be. We do have a strong safety culture and a structured wage increase program, which is available to all employees. But it is regrettable to hear that there are perceptions of favoritism at the site, we will work with the site to enhance communications around our structured wage increases and how to to report safety concerns. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

na

Hardest part of the job was the amount of responsibility given and pressure to deliver despite not being allowed overtime. Coworkers were great but it was a lot of pressure and few room for mobility.

9 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience did not match our intention of creating a great working environment. We are working toward additional training opportunities for employees to encourage and facilitate career growth.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ALS?

all round good company

als is a pleasant company to work for. management can improve in taking feedback from workers and managing the business but apart from that, great company to work for.

Pros

7/7 roster, team environment, always something new to learn

Cons

management

Worst management I've ever seen

Manager calls you racist and a lier when you speak up for your rights, gave out perm lay offs to workers due to covid-19 just to hire new ones 2 weeks later.

Pros

Cons

Worst management

22 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. It would be helpful to have more information in order to further review the concerns you raise. Please call our Integrity Hotline or email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further in to your concerns.

Overall horrible

I worked at ALS Fort Collins and left due to the fact that the manager will laugh in your face if you ask for a raise, (even after 2 years here). They make it easy to get a job here but don't allow anyone to move up since they would rather hire new people. No room for growth, many people have left recently due to the horrible management.

5 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. We take on board your comments and seek areas to improve.

Would not recommend.

Would not recommend. Little room for advancement. Little chance of making career wages. Quality of test work is of little priority. Not recommended.

24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is true that we do hire new employees in at entry level wages; however, we offer wage increases to those employees who demonstrate proficiency in their roles and provide regular cost of living increases.We are concerned about your comment on quality because it is such an foundational piece to the service we provide to customers. In fact, we have a Quality team at our regional office whose purpose is to address any quality issues brought to their attention. If you feel comfortable, we encourage you to leave a comment in the "contact us" link on our website: www.alsglobal.com.Thank you again for the feedback and take care.

Mediocre.

This company does a very poor job of training new workers. The company culture is such that they throw new workers into the grind right from the start. This isn't an issue because of the science or technical aspect of the job; it's an issue because there are so many company-specific practices that are poorly introduced (if at all) to new workers. On top of that, management makes it very clear that they treat their lab technicians as basic lab grunts. They will rarely, if ever, consider the input of lab workers on improvements that could be made. Workers here are frequently working overtime and there is very little acknowledgement or credit for that. Finally, the chance of moving up in this company is effectively nil. This isn't simply me saying this; it's the general thinking of most of the people that work here that aren't upper management. This contributes to the poor atmosphere here and the ridiculously high turnover rate.

21 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We apologize that you feel as though our training and development is lacking for new employees. We have identified a need for consistent new hire training and made it a focus on our GlobALSay action plan. The plan was the result of the feedback from our annual employee survey. If you have additional information to add regarding your review please contact us on ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

Seemed like a nice job at the time...

When I started working at ALS I was working on a part-time basis as a balance operator, this involved weighing out small amounts of customers' samples in order for them to be analysed. Without asking for more hours or a change of job, I was slowly integrated into the copper lab team and I enjoyed working in a team with my colleagues and I felt I had a good relationship with my co-workers. I was asked to do full time and to start doing some overtime, which I saw as a positive sign that ALS where happy with my performance and I took them up on the offer. Ten months into the role, and with no major criticism of my performance being raised, I felt I had settled into my role and was happy with my work/life balance. However, after suffering panic attacks related to personal problems, I needed to take 2 days off work. After which I was asked to speak to HR. The following week I was given a harsh and impersonal review in which my performance was criticised to the point of character annihilation.This was from 2 people who I had never worked with (one of whom had blanked me in the past when greeted), and a member of my team who remained suspiciously quiet despite me taking the blame for problems which were caused by him. It seemed that, despite the abundance of mental health support posters in the gents, this company does not have any mental health policy in place and will dish out blame to new employees even if they are completely oblivious to having done something wrong. It's upsetting as I was enjoying the job and had felt like I had settled in, but having self-respect I -

You can do better.

ALS, is great for recent college graduates who need experience to build up their resumes, but not much else. The work itself is not stressful or difficult, just tedious. Unless you move around to different stations (which you should in order to gain experience so you can get out), you will be preforming the same tasks ad nauseum for the rest of your days. This can be frustrating because the work is not doled out equally. There are people on staff who basically get paid to sit around and do nothing (the current supervisor comes to mind) while others are expected to work their fingers to the bone (mainly the second shift). The workplace culture also makes ALS a difficult company to work at. As of Sep. 2019, the current manager is the worst part of working at this location. If you are considering working here, be prepared for her to routinely talk down you, belittle you, and on occasion threaten your job. Don't bother calling HR because they won't do anything about it. Just quietly gain your experience, build up that resume, and move on to bigger and better things. It's not all doom and gloom, though. Most of your coworkers are amazing individuals who have been working at the company for 10+ years and will be right there in the trenches with you to help you out. Interacting with them is easily the best part of the job. As far as pay goes, you could do better but for an entry level job it's about what you'd expect.

1 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you haven’t enjoyed your time working with us. We would be interested in hearing more information regarding your experiences at the Atlanta laboratory. All reports are investigated and while we do not disclose the findings of the investigation with the employees to maintain confidentiality, we do put measures in place when we find inappropriate behavior is taking or has taken place. Please send through your concerns to HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com.

Good place to gain lab experience, but don't expect to advance

It's an ok place to work if you don't need much money or are lazy. Management was poor and the trouble-making techs got free passes to do whatever they want. It is a stressful and discouraging place for those that worked hard and actually cared about their job. All they did was take advantage of you and lie to you for their benefit.

Pros

Potlucks, Decent benefits and paid overtime

Cons

Toxic people, Unsupportive management, Poor pay/raises, No advancement opportunities

1 October 2019
Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you had an uncomfortable working experience with ALS. To help us better understand the issues you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the issues you faced. We can be reached at HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com. ALS prides itself on being a diverse company with labs in more than 55 countries worldwide, with global policies on appropriate workplace behaviors that are communicated in our mandatory training programs. Our culture aims to be inclusive, respectful and supportive of differences every single day.

Get in, get your experience, get out.

Working with ALS would be a good opportunity if the training was consistent among all who are hired. 3 new people were hired. 1 person (no college, but related to Lead Lab Tech) was trained and passed very quickly. The other 2 (college degrees) “Just wait. We’ll get to you.” I was nagged about my daily performance. No review from the manager, not sure of my job performance. There was a core group of 4. The other 2 were ignored. The manager was very immature and had no training. She had to call someone before she could make a decision. She spent a lot of her time in the office looking at the internet or her phone.

14 August 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. We are taking your advice and feedback seriously and if you would like to share more about your experience please contact the HR team confidentially by emailing ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

Local management and coworkers were fantastic people to work with. Company provided solid compensation and benefits. Would highly recommend to others.

6 May 2019
It is very rewarding that you enjoyed your time working at ALS! We do our best to make ALS a great place to work. While we don't always get it right, it is encouraging to hear when we do for an employee. Good luck in your future career and thank you for your contribution to ALS.

Nice place to gain experience and knowledge in this field and for a fresh out of college student.

The atmosphere is great. The vibes are all positive. Of course they’re times where it do becomes stressful but the other co workers don’t mind giving a helping hand. The pay is okay but needs to be raised over a period of time. Over time is needed sometimes to be able to pay bills on time. Everyone there tries their best to make sure everyone voice is heard.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Pay

2 May 2019
Thank you for your feedback. I would agree that we have a wonderful group of employees at the Jacksonville laboratory, and I'm glad you had a positive experience with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ALS