ALS

ALS Employee Reviews for Technician

Technician54 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Hard work

This place will work you to the bone to meet quotas and if you meet them they push even harder, they'll replace you in a heartbeat once you enviable burn out.Training here is like a terrible game of telephone, your trainer doesn't know most of the job, their trainer didn't either and the supervisor definitely doesn't know.Management acts as though they are always right and have all the answers, but when any problems arise they act as though you should know what to do and offer no assistance.

Cons

Mandatory holidays, mandatory overtime, management that cares only about bottom line

Productive with the right management

Less favoritism would be nice. All should be appreciated. All work hard. Rewards for hard work I'd like to see more of. But for most part a great job. Benefits could be better.

Good place to start career, poor path long term.

Pros of work:Good place to start career. Lots to learn. Solid team depending on office you end up in.Cons of work:Low wages, poor growth. Not long term.

Depends on your personal goals

If you want to gain experience and then make a move to another company it's the place for you. Just don't stay too long because it's a toxic environment

Pros

Work life balance

Company Asks to much

As someone who has worked here for years, as a tech, lead, etc. i would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. The pay is really bad, same type of companies paying $5 more an hour to do the same thing. Inconsistent raises. No opportunity to move up, unless your cool or friends with Management, even people who are more qualified for positions, get overlooked. If they don't like you or don't think your a good enough worker, they will build up a case of info/portfolio of things against you, no matter how petty, just so they can get rid of you. Human Resources department gossips and talks about your private problems with other front office employees. They do not address your problems or issues , they just sweep it under the rug. They expect you to do more than what is required of you of your job, even if it means putting your work on hold and doing someone else’s. Currently working here, and currently feeling abused!!

Pros

Nothing much, if anything at all

Cons

Management, benefits, pay

No chance at success

I needed some quick cash (the pay is slightly above fast food store) and they ALWAYS have “now hiring” signs flying, so that should have been my first sign…but u live n learn right? There is no advancement, no promotions except for the good ole boys, and i developed a pretty nasty rash while i was there in the 110 heat in dark warehouse with air quality of a truck muffler… it’s a quickie relationship there, they wont let u get comfortable anyway….

Excellent place to work for those willing to work

I have worked here for over 5 years and I have no complaints. I feel like it is a great and rewarding company for individuals willing to work. The pay is good, the benefits are great and the company overall does a good job in showing they care about their employees.

Get ready to work hard!

Overall, my experience working as a Sample Prep Technician was very positive. I got to login samples received from mines all across BC and the world (drill core, pulp, soil, vegetation). Management does care about safety. The team is great, and as long as you work hard you will succeed at ALS. While the work is dusty and labour-intesive, it is still good, honest work and I would recommend this job for anybody who wants a shot at getting into the mining/mineral exploration or geochemistry industries. Do not apply if you are afraid of hard work.

Pros

Hard, honest work. Great team.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

11 April 2021
Thank you for your review and it is great to hear that working at ALS was a 5 star experience for you! It is true, in Sample Preparation you get good exposure to the mining industry and work hard. While the opportunity for advancement may be more limited in one location, we are opening 4 new locations in Canada & the US this year which means we have management positions available for those who are interested in relocating. As a global organization, we have opportunities elsewhere as well! It's too bad we couldn't keep you but we do hope you found something you enjoy!

They don't care about your health

Management gets upset with you if you're exhausted, sick, or have other emergencies. You're constantly pushed to keep going and if any mistakes are made you are written up as a result due to physical and mental exhaustion. Only 2 breaks in an 8 hour shift; 15 minute and 30 minute lunch. You are only allowed to call in sick 2 days in a row, any more than that then your employment is locked out until you get a doctor's note which a lot of us end up losing employment at ALS as a result.

Pros

Decent enough pay

Cons

Standing on concrete all day in steel toe boots

6 March 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS is not as we endeavor it to be. We comply with all employment standards requirements for breaks and require a doctor's after an employee has been sick for three days. While the work is physical, overtime is voluntary as we respect the need for people to have mental and physical rest. We hope you work that is better suited to you and wish you the best in your future endeavors!

It is good just if you do not have other option

I worked in the Tribology division (oil and gas). Small laboratory in a huge corporation with a lot of stress and workload, very fast pace. Regional manager is so racist , lab supervisor is so rude and impolite and they cover for each other. The environment is not healthy at all, oily and full of dangerous odors from chemical solvents that there is no willing to fix the issues.

Pros

You will have full time job and if you are permanent benefits

Cons

Weak and very weak management

23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It is unfortunate to hear the comment about racist management as we are a global employer, embrace diversity and practice equity & inclusion in our workplace. If you would like to provide additional information regarding this statement, we can look in to it further. You can do so by contacting the Integrity Hotline or leaving a message through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com.Because we work with chemicals and other toxic substances, ALS not only meets but exceeds all H&S regulations. H&S underlies everything we do and it is consistently scored in our employee engagement survey at the top of what we do best for our employees. It is surprising to hear that you felt the work environment was not safe and we would love to understand more about it. If you would kindly leave additional information through one of the two avenues above, it would be greatly appreciated!

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ALS?

They tell you one thing then back stab you with lie's

Going through HR do to there false accusations with no steps taken on matter but false accusations and dismissal they tell you employees matter but they don't I was sick and not at work the two days they say I did someting I never did and I will take lie detector test to prove it they know that I was taking steps to go thru there HR to get the people that where bullying me and the three other people

23 October 2020
It sounds like there was a lot happening for you when you were separated from ALS. If you feel that there is additional information that you would like to be considered or if you would like these circumstances to be reviewed further, please contact our Integrity Hotline or send us a message through the Contact US link on alsglobal.com.

Poor communication skills

Management there have poor communication skills and they like to like, denie and twist words to make you look bad at times in order to get production out of their workers.

24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear about your experience at our Sudbury location as it is not aligned with the work environment that we strive to create for our employees. If you feel comfortable, we would appreciate having more detailed information so we can look into this matter further. You can submit your concern to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com. Someone in HR will then contact with you. We hope to hear from you and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Good work place to learn.

Good work place to learn and gain skills and training. I am very thankful that I worked at ALS as i'm now benefiting with all the training and skills I've got.

24 June 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We love to hear how working at ALS helps people. Because of the seasonal nature of our work, we often find that there is a good fit for people who are looking to gain work experience. This provides a great opportunity to gain valuable experience and helps us get through our busy peak season. We are happy it worked out for you!

Good and bad

The pay is decent, management are good to you and you get to work on your own. The bad is sometimes you go somewhere to fix something and there’s no of getting because of the gate.

Great company

I have no complaints despite being laid off. Work load is work load, aside from that I was paid good and given plenty of breaks on hot days with full PPR gear on, and the company provided Gatorade in the summer, and hand warmers in the winter. You felt like they actually cared about you. Being laid off sucks, but like I said, that's the nature of the mining industry.

24 June 2020
Thank you so much for such a balanced review. We do put a lot of effort into making our employees comfortable because we recognize Sample Prep is a physical job and gets some exposure to those hot Arizona temperatures in the summer and colder weather during the winter months.Being a vendor to the mining industry does have its ups and downs; particularly with the seasonality of the work but we focus on treating employees right so they want to come back to us when the work picks up again. Regardless of where your career takes you, we wish you the best and appreciate the feedback.

Good team atmosphere with great employees. Hard Physical work

The employees are fun to be around and there is a genuine sense of family. However, for the amount of physical labour required, employees are not paid enough. Standing for the entire shift, while lifting 25-70 pounds, constantly. It is also very hot and dirty work, unless you work the graveyard shift, in which case you can make a little more money.

23 June 2020
Thank you for the feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the team you worked with at ALS! The job is physical and we do try to vary tasks to give people a break from the physical work. We will review your comments with local management and see if we can take further steps to improve in this area. Again, we do appreciate your comments and wish you all the best.

I would not recommend this company for anyone interested in employment.

MGMT offered me training for other opportunities in the office and never followed up with it. Also the supervisor was a terrible role for work by example.

21 January 2020
Thank you for the feedback. We apologize that you were not given the opportunity that was discussed. Our Learning and Development team is working hard to ensure that we have development opportunities for all employees regardless of position or location. If you could send additional information regarding the supervisor we would be happy to look into the situation. You can reach out to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

I liked it there

Roles vary wildly. Prep is very hard physical labor at times, analytical is focus intensive, weigh room is much easier once you have fluency, and fire assay is hot af.

2 January 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your views on the different roles at ALS! Yes, there is a lot going on in each of our locations and some of our areas have more extreme conditions (we do try to keep employees as comfortable as possible but those Fire Assay furnaces give off a lot of heat!). Because we are a global company, performing many different functions in our locations all over the world, there are literally hundreds of different jobs someone can do. This makes ALS the perfect place to develop your skills and grow your career!

Productive and team oriented work place.

Productive and team oriented work place. i would recommend Als to anyone. the work environment is very stress fee and there is always new ways to learn and further you education.

7 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your time with ALS, and are able to learn a lot while working with us.

good work place

i do appreciate the workplace .good condition of working but the paid is low the job is a little bit hard the fact you are in the same place for a long time.

25 October 2019
We appreciate your review. It is rewarding to hear that your had an overall positive experience working at ALS. Some aspects of our roles can become routine but we try to instill task variety by introducing rob rotation and giving people access to training so they can learn new skills and complete different tasks. We hope you found a role better suited to what you want and thank you for your contribution to ALS.

Ok

Ok, lots of new employees because people leave. There have been many people that have left since I began in June 2016. I've become friends with many people and keep in touch with the ones that left

31 July 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We apologise that your experience did not match our intended workplace experience. If you would like to provide additional feedback, please reach out to us on ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ALS