AMD logo
AMD
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AMD Employee Reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

good company to work, good projects

good company to work, latest technology. if you are tech lover. I will recommended AMD.stock option is goodmarket is growing. all products are in good shape and well manageed by USA

Pros

good tech

Cons

less salary, Indian managers are not grood

Terrible culture, Chaotic environemnt, horrible middle management

Good:- Base pay above industry average.- Decent benefits- Coworkers are good.Bad:- Management cannot be trusted.- Finger pointing culture.- Status quo cannot be challenged.- Toxic work environment, raised to HR nothing happened. Was told to suck it up and focus on work.- Broken tools, new issues pop up at the moment you least expect.- No processes & structure, fire fighting everyday.- Global Operation is treated as cost center, no manager (including VP & SVP) dare to challenge their counterpart in Business Unit. - Tribal knowledge & silo mentality. Left hand do not talk to right hand.- Poor work life balance, most people work 50~60 hrs every week.

Pros

Base pay above industry average.

Cons

Toxic work culture

Competent leadership, lots of great learning opportunities, and room to grow.

AMD is finally out of the shadows of the other x86 company and leading the industry. It is also doing well in the GPU market. Employees are motivated and among the best in the industry. The compensation could be better, but this is probably true for all non-FAANG companies. Good work-life balance, good quality of work, and still the attitude of a hungry underdog.

Pros

Quality of work

Cons

Compensation

One of the best company to work for

I am working in AMD as a product engineer for the past 3 years. Under Lisa Su's leadership, I can strongly feel this company is growing at a rapid speed and a lot of positivity in the environment. Employee trust the management. Finally, AMD is back on the track after some downturn faced during the 2013-2014 time frame. Honestly, I wasn't surprised because I met many people who possess brilliant minds. Compensation is fair compared to the other semiconductor companies and trusts me, this company does take care of their employees. However, with good business, stress level also going up gradually, which may impact work/life balance sometimes. Also, after some time, you may work more on repetitive stuff, which at some point will get boring. But, I believe, every company will have that issue, no matter how good is that company. Job security is satisfactory since the business is skyrocketing. I'm loving it!

Pros

Decent health benefits, insurance coverage

Cons

Canteen food

Great place to learn - Difficult to maintain work-life balance

Loved the work and the people at AMD. Lots of opportunity to learn and be challenged. Supportive managers. The volume of work made it difficult to successfully manage work and home life.

A management supported balance between what needed to be done and self-directed projects to study

It was very common for management to allow for 20% of workhours to go toward self-directed areas of interest. You found something interested and you were encouraged to draft a project plan, including budget, to study that interest, at least as the yield improvement manager for semi-production, that's how I treated my people.

Pros

Career advancing interests supported

Cons

It's a factory so many repetitive tasks required to keep the product moving, and to improve the process was always a pressure on time.

Work like balance

Work life balance is good, career development opportunities , i get to work on while i like and never feel burdened , teammates are always helpful and there is healthy competition

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

stock options

Highly disorganized

This company is always one step ahead of dying There is little guidance and there was zero development There also seems to be little that management does to implement any learning it gets from employees

Pros

Paycheck

Cons

Zero culture

Excelente trabajo

Soy un operador de tracto camión foráneo responsable honesto dedicado y me gusta mi profesión

Pros

Estabilidad laboral ganancias

Cons

No ay

Beautiful work environment, good work-life balance, so-so senior leadership

In general, AMD is a big computer hardware company permeated with an overwhelmingly sense of "hero worship" of senior management during my time there. My immediate manager was nurturing and helped me advanced to the next level of my career progression. My coworkers were smart, easy-going and fun people you want to hang out with after work. Advice to senior leadership: Hire great leaders, not good people. Leaders that are forward-looking with great vision, not tunnel vision that don't miss out on opportunities (i.e. tablet industry).

Pros

Free coffee and tea, fun coworkers, beautiful work environment

Cons

Over-worship of senior management, tunnel vision of leadership

Pay is very good and paid time off is very generous. Informal work environment especially with working from home due to covid. But this company is a total market leader.

Fast pace and interesting technologies with some caveats

AMD has great technology, a lot of smart engineers, interesting area to work in technicality. If that was the entire view of a company, then I would have given it 5 stars. The issues at AMD has more to do with its compensation and reward culture than on the technical front. Management don't hire enough competent engineers who are doing the actual work, instead, they hire "senior" members that actually don't do the day to day work. You are not rewarded based on the amount of work you do or the quality of work you do, instead you get rewarded for "politics". There are some great engineers but they are often not rewarded for their work vs mediocre senior engineers that don't do anything other than code reviews or filing jira tickets.Work-life balance: Due to lack of management, any issue becomes a priority one issue and you're expected it solve it yesterday. As a result, "unexpected" work on weekends happen quite often.It's hard to say about compensation since the stock has gone so well in the past few years but it remains to be seen if AMD will be able to sustain it. But don't expect tier one general compensation.I actually like the CEO, she has saved AMD from the abyss of 2012/2013. The direction and technical work is definitely interesting if you put in the time to learn and in large part is due to her leadership to shift the focus of AMD into areas and beating Intel at the same time.

Pros

Great and interesting technology.

Cons

Promotion culture and bad management with engineers.

challenging, fast paced work environment

worked in the labs for over 20yrs.. the environment is a mix of good+bad.the good: cutting edge equipment and tech. never boring. constant learning curve and opportunities to problem solve. you never know what is waiting for you when you come inthe bad: very stressful. poor support and training. did i say stressful? high pressure work environment. everything needed done last month.

Pros

people and benefits. never boring.

Cons

too stressful.

Great Place to work

A typical day as an engineer will be switching between tasks and priorities. Less is more is the philosophy and management makes the employees feel critical in driving AMD goals. Highly invested employees who live and breathe AMD. Co-workers become like family and friends and being understaffed compared to bigger peers, working smart is rewarded. Lots of long hours but never saw anyone complaining as AMDers know how to make work fun.

Pros

Workplace culture, knowledge base, growth opportunities

Cons

work-life balance

Great

Best work ethics. Everyone around is helping each other. The staff is good. The food could be better.. Gym is there ........................................................

Productive place with ping pong table

A typical day at work starts at 830 and ends at 530. Learn to do programming and testing. Culture is decentHardest part of the job is learning on your own

Pros

Console Gaming

Cons

Stressful

Good company with not-so-good middle managers

AMD in itself is a good company with great products and a great CEO. However, my experience as an engineer was not so great. The main problem lies with middle management. Unfortunately, my manager had no regard or interest in my professional growth -- he wouldn't provide any meaningful feedback on my performance even after multiple requests, no one-on-one meetings, kept me working on the same things for 6 years with no scope of learning anything new even though I kept on requesting, minimal raise and absolutely no recognition. Favoritism and politics are rampant. People are generally nice on the surface, but cold. I felt like a cog in the wheel and ultimately ended up leaving the company (or more correctly, my manager).On the plus side, benefits are good and the pay is okay. The company has been doing well and is under capable leadership. The work environment isn't bad in general and quite often HR would host fun events and stuff. While work-life balance isn't that great, I have had far worse experiences. However, AMD works on cutting edge technology and products, so while there is potentially opportunity to learn new and interesting things, almost all tasks are very partitioned and made limited in their scope. I guess that's kind of the nature of a big and mature company, but chances are that one will probably end up getting assigned a small part of the design and not learn a whole lot. Overall, it's not a bad place to work at, as long as you are lucky enough to get a manager who actually cares.

Pros

Interesting technology, good benefits, good leadership

Cons

Bad middle management

Bien

Es un ambiente laboral y se puede tener crecimiento

Pros

crecimiento laboral

Cons

Competencia

Nice

Everything is great about work.and things go so well and everything get completed on time. This job is seasonal but still goes great. There is lots of people here. We get alone well.

Pros

Cons

Less money

Good company

Great team to work with Great products to sell Great technology to develop Super friendly culture Supportive management Good equity value Benefits can be improved

Ambiente de trabajo rápido con café gratis

Se pasa el tiempo rápidamente, te toman en cuenta en la resolución de problema. Se aprende rápido.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AMD