AMD

AMD Employee Reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Good stocks and money

Great place to make friends Lots of things to learn GPU complexity is very high Require overtimeManager didn’t have much power to grow you in career.Sometime East in your private time

Poor management

Currently ahead due to intel's mis-steps. Too many people hired from outside with inflated titles. Making the same mistake as we done in the past during the Opteron boom time.

Fun Place

Good place to work at with lots of opportunity to grow. Lots of people willing to help and give advice. Typical day at work varies a lot but expect to think on your feet.

Lot's of learing

Good start for a New graduate.People are incredibly good. Takes time to get the full picture of your job. Not good at documentation. Many learning opportunities

Pros

good start for a New graduate

Cons

too many meetings every day

Supportive people

AMD has very supportive people, people are nice and willing to help. Many new stuffs to learn. Work life balance is good. very flexible and you can work remote or hybrid or at the office

Pros

Good culture, supportive people, work life balance

Cons

Low pay compared to other tech companies

Worst compensation, poor WLB and bad management

Too many meetings in early morningWorst compensation in Bay areapoor WLB and bad managementThey pay new hire with higher salary so lots of well-experienced employee are leaving

Muy buena empresa recomendada 100%

Buena empresa se trabaja con calidad buscando siempre la mejora.

Pros

Muy buenas prestaciones

Cons

Turnos de un mes de duracion.

Work/life culture is bad, no excitement and management is poor

AMD makes very good products are making strides right now but they have a long way, especially their GPU products. It seems they are overly focused on their CPU lines and don't focus as much on the graphics side. The pay is a bit unfair imo because you are expected to work long working hours (12+ hours) even on weekends with no overtime pay. You can find better pay with more benefits at other companies.

'D' in AMD stands for Disorganization

There is a clear lack of organization and very poor management. Your everyday schedule is filled with wasteful meetings that could have been avoided with better organization and a few emails. Instead of addressing the fundamental issues, we waste more time in even more meetings looking for band-aid solutions.Routinely multiple teams get assigned with the same task. It is not unusual for a closed task to be redone because no one bothered to check whether it was already completed. And then we have meetings to discuss why we have multiple people doing the same thing. Followed by meetings to follow up on the meeting. And more meetings when it happens again. And again. And again.All the disorganization translate to constant scrambling around trying to meet deadlines, resulting in lacking work quality, which is evident from your first week of working at AMD.Expect to be involved in never-ending fire drills resulting in constant 60+ hour work weeks. There is no overtime pay, and zero appreciation or recognition of you wasting your entire weekend working on yet another fire drill.

Pros

Connection building

Cons

Disorganization, no work-life balance, lack of recognition, poor benefits

Buen ambiente de trabajo

Es una buena empresa tiene muy buen ambientes y muchas facilidades yo me sali por cosas personales pero no porque la empresa no me allá gustado sino todo lo contrario lastimosmente solicite volver a entrar pero no pude pero la recomiendo

Pros

Tiene buen salario y oportunidad de crecer

Cons

Ninguno

decent

decent pay, alright work culture, manager wasnt the best but was only there for a little while. if you can find another place to work, id recommend picking the other place if the pay is better.

Fast-paced, competitive environment (our biggest competition was Intel)

It was a great place to work. I learned a lot about capital equipment and services procurement and about the semiconductor manufacturing industry. Strong, focused leadership.

Secure job, poor work life balance, unfair pay and promotion system

An old giant organization with rigid process. Bureaucratic every where. You are promoted fast if you are the boss' favourite. If you are not your management's most favorite, they need you to perform 120% to be considered. Promotion system is ridiculous. Only 2 to 3 are promoted every year for a 30-people team.Pay is extremely unfair. I was lowballed when first hire because i needed a job at that time. Never got adjusted. They pay new hire 30% or even 40% more than I currently do. Work life balance not existed in many teams, especially those who are forced to work with geographic distributed teams. Almost every project involves Asian teams. Saying "no" to consistent evening calls is considered "not performing", not going above and beyond.

Pros

Job is secure if the company is doing well. Still a choice to work flexible hours, like leaving work early for families/kids Flexibility on remote, depending on your manager

Cons

Everything mentioned No gut in firing consistently non performing employees

Fun place to work at!

I loved my time at AMD and I had a great time there and the culture in AMD was great. It was a good learning experience for me. I had gained knowledge and experience.

Very supportive culture

I have worked at AMD for a year now. Everyone is very willing to help and provide support when needed. I feel like the work/life balance is well maintained and is an important aspect of the culture of the company. The onboarding process was easy and the resources and contacts provided to me set me up to quickly and easily learn my role so I could be independent and knowledgeable within the first month. I was assigned an amazing trainer who was very compassionate and made me feel confident and knowledgeable fast within my new role so that I could be independent quickly.

Pros

Gifts given to team to celebrate wins, great culture and sense of being able to be yourself.

Cons

None at the moment

Stimulating environment, great culture, but some frustrations and crunch.

ProsYou'll be working with and making meaningful contributions towards getting cutting edge technology into the market. The culture is collaborative and some of your coworkers are leaders in their area. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow while building cool stuff.ConsSchedules can be pretty aggressive, and resourcing tends to be lean. Unfortunately, past crunch or missed deadlines don't always lead to institutional learning for the next project, which can be frustrating.Advice to ManagementTreat any late-caught issue or schedule near-miss as a planning failure. Invest in unit-level tests as early in development as possible for every features failing late in development. You will save people from getting pulled into emergencies, improve morale, shorten development schedules, and save cost on man-hours to deliver a project.

Lots of learning opportunities.Work life balance is best here.Management is very focused and alignment with company goals

Lots of learning opportunities.Work life balance is best here.Management is very focused and aligned with company goals.Good for a fresher to start his career.Other perks and benefits are less compared to industry standard.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Compensation is less if you stay for long, Other perks and benefits are less, compared to industry standard.

Buen ambiente de trabajo.

Es buena empresa logre aprender muchas cosas entre como practicante de mantenimiento.

Pros

Seguro medico

Cons

NO hay Muchos break

toxic culture at the finance/accounting department

long hours and stressful work environment,no work-life balance,toxic culture from the top management (in finance org),high turn over rate,compensation is lower than the market

Pros

AMD is a cool company, stock is going up

Cons

no work-life balance, no stock/little bit stocks for finance people

Great Place to Work

Great experience working at AMD. Diverse work place, management is willing to work with you if you want to move up and advance your career. They take care of their employees.

Pros

Work environment, diverse.

No work life balance

The company may be doing good from outside, but employees are taking the hit. Work life balance is non-existent, with majority of the employees working 60 to 80 hours a week, even during the weekend. The management is still unappreciative of the effort and expects the engineers to push harder.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AMD
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?