AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE

AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE Employee Reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Great mission with kind and driven people

I loved working here. I had great bosses and there is a true sense of community and joy in the AFSC mission. I would recommend this job to anyone passionate about social justice.

N/a

Worked with nice people within the department. Work:life balance was a plus. Health benefits were extremely high for a family plan. Pay could be better.

Act on your passions -- But don't burn out

AFSC lets you put your values into action. Benefits and good, but salaries are often much lower than in comparable NGOs. The complex management system and ostensible consensus decision making can be hard to navigate.

Pros

Acting on your values, benefits

Cons

Burnout, fractious internal culture

Work place was very good

Everyone at the work place cooperated and job site was highly diverse. The had lots of opportunities by referring you further. It was an internship that found by the school

Pros

Professional

Cons

Wasn’t hired as a full time employee

Great internship experience!

Great internship experience! Friendly work environment and opportunity to contribute to impactful community service. Very educational, as well as challenging.

Great working for American Friends Service Committee

The Company assist immigrant and refugee communities in South Florida and it is nice to work for a company that cares for those that are most vulnerable.

Potential for powerful change work

AFSC is a national organization with a high potential to connect the various sectors of community and social change work. With a stronger infrasrtucture AFSC can lead transformational initiatives that can improve the lives of many therefore creating generational change and progress.

Most Enjoyable Part

Helping grow the Mar Vista Community's Garden. I would go there twice a week and promote a healthy diet through helping grow beets, cucumbers, lemons, etc.

Flexible and productive place to work at

Productive place It has a soul; committed to the betterment of humanity Listens; care about opinions expressed Good healthcare and benefits Flexible schedule for parents Remote work

Incredibly friendly supervisors and relaxing workplace/environment

I worked as a two year intern and has one main supervisor and a second that is also very helpful. But both are excellent people. very understanding, loving and caring people who wants people exceed in whatever they do. They are very supportive and always looking for ways to help me improve and develop both in my professional life and as a person. Both are filled with great moral values! Lovely organization to work for and great supervisors.

Pros

Very flexible work hours

Cons

monthly staff reports

Horrendous management

The corporate management in Philadelphia was wildly out of touch with the regional and local offices. They have consistently driven it towards insolvency in the last 10-15 years.

Pros

Good salary and benefits

Cons

Terrible culture

Interesting place to work

Learn valuable information about the reality of our country, but the work environment was often disorganized. Management cared for their employees and are passionate about their purpose.

Pros

relaxed environment

Cons

disorganized work environment

review

management is not great, learned very little during the job, workplace culture is not ideal, the most enjoyable part i would say is having the opportunity to help others

Idealistic and hard working organization for social justice

AFSC has 100 years of dedication to social justice and advocacy for marginalized groups to its name. For a small organization it covers a lot of territory both in the US and abroad with numerous small offices working tirelessly on issues like community peace building, immigration reform, ending mass incarceration, and human rights.

Pros

Being part of a dedicated staff working in communities

Cons

Budget instability

Productive and Fun

We protested important issues to the city council. Mosaics were made from old furniture to be sold on the internet. We also protested immigration laws that we felt were unreasonable.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

Getting glass cuts on your hands.

Connections

The most enjoyable part of working for AFSC was the connection made with the students. You really got to know everyone on a personal level that felt genuine.

Great Internship!

Very hands-on internship experience. Worked with various cultures and diverse people in order to create a better community!

Social justice oriented service

Devoted to creating a more socially just environment for people to live. This organization focuses on organizing communities around various social justice issues to impact the life outcomes of constituents.

Great co-workers

The Friends Committee provided me with an abundance of knowledge pertaining culture, society and health. My years there were exciting and very informative.

Pros

network

Cons

benafits

Great work environment

I loved my coworkers and the work. It was great to go out into the community and see the impact that our work made. My supervisor was amazing and very understanding.

dont want to write nothing

Rate this company*required Overall rating* Job Work/Life Balance Compensation/Benefits Job Security/Advancement Management Job Culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE