AMITA Health logo
AMITA Health
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AMITA Health Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Showing all 1,510 reviews

Decent place to work

I worked there when the company was going through a merger. It was hectic and they didn't keep their employees updated about the status of our jobs! We were left in the dark!

Pct/cna

Like all hospitals settings,unstaffed and unpaid but still expected to complete job on time ..Employees we’re leaving in all departments and they seem to not know why

Pros

The fellow coworkers

Cons

Pay, benefits, management

28 July 2021
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your coworkers. We take your concerns very seriously and will reflect upon them. We wish you well in your next endeavor.

Value yourself.

I think it's important to find value in the work that you are doing each day without validation from peers or upper management. I love my coworkers. When we are understaffed, we figure it out because we have no other choice. I do not feel that management helps or is able to help solve that issue by calling someone in? Having a registry pool? No solid back up plan for coverage. When someone calls off, we are down an essential nurse and the whole team works harder that day. I have seen management come out to the floor on many occassion and work along side us. That is impressive and uplifting. The positions are there, they just dont seem to be consistently occupied. 1 pct or nurse will quit and just as they are replaced, another one will be quitting. It's a revolving door at times and it really drains the standing staff over time to where they also want more stability in their daily work life and look for other places to work. On our fully staffed days, It mostly runs well. No complaints. On our understaffed days, supplies arent stocked, rooms have to be cleaned by nursing staff, the overall mood can be uptight, providers still expect the same times and hardly realize the understaffing and how it effects the team as a whole from where they stand, the ambulance bay and ER doors never close and we can get a major influx of patients at the drop of a dime. Certain patients acuity may require 1 nurses full attention for hours and there is no compensatory plan for that. That nurses other rooms still get filled with patients. Breaks are not a priority, even though it is the law. It is -

Pros

Pay, friendly atmosphere, job security, growth

Cons

Short breaks, poor planning, lack of support staff, staff is not prioritized

28 July 2021
Thank you for your thoughtful review. When you join AMITA Health, you are joining a team of caregivers who are inspired by faith to bring commitment, dedicated care, dignity, hope and a sense of family to each patient. We take your concerns very seriously and will reflect upon them. We appreciate all that you do. Thank you for your service and commitment.

Go with the flow

The best part about the job is the experience, coworkers, and the pay! Other than that, the job is not long term because it will burn you out within a few years! AMITA accepts all types of patient behaviors, so you have clients with different behaviors triggering others which becomes challenging. Going in for work shift, I had to tell myself to just go with the flow because if too much focus is given then you will burn yourself out. Not much value in Behavioral Health Technicians from management, in spite of them working with clients all day! There are also some great nurses that do go above and beyond. I worked my shifts here with little or nothing to eat until I got the opportunity to take a break which was an hour before my shift ended. I recommend not working more than your required shift in order to address self care needs, and just going with the flow every day.

Pros

Money, Coworkers, Parking, Experience, Teamwork (BHT & Nurses)

Cons

Breaks, Easy burn out, No value in workers, Fast pace

21 July 2021
Thank you for your balanced and thoughtful review. AMITA Health’s greatest strength is our associates so we are encouraged to work together, collaborate and ensure each and every associate has a positive experience. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. Thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

Very busy environment

Very busy environment would be better if they had less number of patient to Worker ratios. Overworking their workers and hardly any seen raises or bonuses. Always working short

15 July 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide exceptional work life balance as well as support growth for all associates. We will reflect upon your additional feedback. Thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

Nurse

I worked as a staff nurse and while I learned a lot on the job, the culture and management was just awful. We were always understaffed, nurses were stressed out and fearful of management, and the patient load was extremely heavy.

14 July 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We regret to hear that your experience was not a positive one. We take your concerns very seriously and will reflect upon them. We wish you well in your next endeavor.

Good company

The job isn’t bad but isn’t great either. The wage I’m paid is not a livable wage and overtime is needed to even get a decent amount of a paycheck. For the most part colleagues I work with are great. The management could be a lot better, as well as communication

14 July 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide a collaborative work environment and are glad to hear you enjoyed working with your coworkers. We appreciate your feedback and will reflect upon this. Thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

Decent

Decent place to work. Great experience. Pay could be better, given how large Amita is. Management is great. Like many other hospitals, we are at the mercy of insurance and joint commission. Everything comes down to money.

Pros

Steady

Cons

Administration

14 July 2021

A good place to start as a RN

AMITA health is an ok place to start as a RN. It has been difficult moving within the company into a position that truly interests me. Pay is standard for the area, but raises are small or non-existent.

14 July 2021
Thank you for your review. You became a nurse to make a difference. We are thrilled that you continue to choose to serve your community with us. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. Thank you for all that you do and your commitment to our mission.

Decent workplace with decent pay. Typical nursing job with issues with management and staffing. Most nurses older generation, but easy to get along with.

1 July 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide a collaborative work environment and support growth for all associates. We appreciate your comments and we will reflect upon them. Thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

Great work life balance, but nothing else.

I worked in the medical group and work life balance was great. Unfortunately, pay is much lower than hospital work and no room for advancement. I loved my coworkers, but after finishing my MSN, I decided to leave for other opportunities.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

No advancement, low pay, Poor leadership and communication.

29 June 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide exceptional work life balance as well as support growth for all associates. We will reflect upon your additional feedback. We wish you the best in your next endeavors and hope you will consider AMITA again in the future.

Busy unit, lots of learning opportunities

Co workers are like family. Very close knit unit. Made very good friends at work. Great team atmosphere. However when there is no staff, there is no support. Basically left to fend for yourself. Can be unsafe at times.

Pros

Busy. Ability to learn

Cons

Short staffed at times, poor management

28 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed working with your coworkers. At AMITA Health, we cultivate an environment that strives to be accountable to both our patients and to one another. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. If you would like to continue this dialogue, we would welcome that discussion. Please feel free to email us at Careers@ascension.org.

Too many e-learnings (my learnings) and other miscellaneous requirements

Very rigid scheduling, too many e-learnings (sometimes doing the same/similar e-learning a few times a year), and more responsibilities added on constantly like re-arranging furniture, setting up surveys, etc when there is not time to do these.

Pros

Decent pay, somewhat supportive leaders

Cons

Excessive and repetitive e-learnings, more requirements added on every day.

21 June 2021

Amita health is agood place to work. The hours can be ling depending on the unit you work atm. There is a lot of great people at Amita health. Wonderful

Pros

People

Cons

Hours

21 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear your experience working with AMITA Health has been a positive one. We strive for all of our associates to experience our culture. We thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

Fair work environment

They do what they say they will and provide a reasonable level of support. The compensation is fair but not extraordinary. There is scheduling flexibility.

17 June 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide exceptional work life balance as well as support growth for all associates. We will reflect upon your additional feedback. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Bad experience

From Day 1 I was disappointed. I was given a huge amount of work that could not be done in 8 or even 10 hours. They expected me to work at home every day after my shift. Not a very professional place and people were not nice.

Pros

Cons

Poor management.

15 June 2021

Food service

Very bland job. No room for advancement people are nice though. Hours kinda suck but they’re ok. Maybe a good starter job for high school kids just graduating

26 May 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. AMITA Health’s greatest strength is our associates so we are encouraged to work together, collaborate and ensure each and every associate has a positive experience. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. We appreciate your service and dedication to our mission.

Management needs to improve

Stressful environment with hardly any support. Management made it seem like they actually help and they don't. One time I had the nurse manager yell at me infront of my patient and patient's family. So unprofessional! The only good thing that came about this position is how much I learned, but the environment is very rigid.

Pros

Learned many skills

Cons

Rigid environment, lack support, horrible management

17 May 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide exceptional work life balance as well as support growth for all associates. We regret to hear that your experience did not meet expectations. We will take your comments and reflect upon them. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

Good company to work for

Pay is what it is. If you like interacting with patients, fast paced work, and working in a hospital setting, this job is for you. High turnover rate. Building is old and needs a serious upgrade. Understaffed at times.

Pros

Workplace culture, benefits

Cons

Short breaks, understaffed at times

10 May 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we aim to provide exceptional benefits that provide generous PTO, tuition reimbursement and an exceptional work-life balance. We take your comments very seriously and will reflect upon them. Thank you for your dedication to our mission to extend the healing ministry of Jesus.

Lots of changeover right now

We are so understaffed in nursing in so many departments. Nurses are just leaving one after another and with no experienced nurses to help train and mold the new nurses..well thats not a good receipe for success.

11 May 2021
Thank you for your balanced review. At AMITA Health, we strive to provide a collaborative work environment and support growth for all associates. We manage the resources entrusted to us with the utmost care and responsibility. We take your concerns very seriously and will reflect upon them. Thank you for your service and dedication to our mission.

Great co workers and direct supervisors. Upper management is only about the bottom line of finances. Benefits have gotten worse

I’ve worked for AMITA health for 5 plus years. Amazing staff and co workers, the PTO is also some of the best I’ve heard of in healthcare. However other benefits keep getting worse such as insurance and retirement. Pay is low and everyone seems to know that AMITA is more about money than employee satisfaction (which translates to quality patient care)

Pros

Pto, co workers

Cons

Insurance, no raises, pay is below standard

30 April 2021
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying working with your coworkers. We strive for our culture at AMITA Health to foster a relational experience where management is approachable and easy to work with. We appreciate your comments and we will reflect upon them. Thank you for your dedication to our mission to extend the healing ministry of Jesus.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMITA Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AMITA Health