AMT Coffee Ltd

AMT Coffee Ltd Employee Reviews

2.7Work–Life Balance

Good Job for temporary basis

I worked in AMT for about a year in an Irish site, management from England never contacted our branch, worked mostly by myself which I didn’t mind but got tedious some days.

Pros

Free Coffee

Cons

Poor Management

One of the worst jobs I've ever had

I couldn't be promised full time hours so was hired as part time - then given full time hours. Very sure this was to avoid certain full-time worker benefits. Might as well have just given me a 0 hours contract. Expected to work alone on 90% of shifts (not good when banking needs to be done, or if there is a medical emergency or accident). Supervisor gave preferential treatment to certain members of staff in regards to authorizing holidays, etc. No air conditioning and windows are sealed shut - no fresh air, no way to cool down in summer. Hit 34c in there on more than one shift. Company didn't process any of my paperwork for 3 months so I didn't get paid until after already having worked 3 penniless months. Only got paid after I personally raised the issue with the area manager, who is based in Cambridge and almost never bothers coming down to check up on Stevenage. Then when I got my first payslip it was for a name completely different to my own. TERRIBLE. Management appeared to not care whatsoever about improving or even visiting to check up on staff - much more comfortable staying up in Cambridge I suppose. The Stevenage branch is much neglected by management and treated like an afterthought. Disciplinary actions were carried out poorly as well and terrible members of staff were allowed to keep working while others were reprimanded over minor issues. Preferential treatment given to supervisors and not ordinary staff - uniform seems to not matter for supervisors but the policy is strict for normal baristas. tl;dr - poor hands-off style management, terrible pay, terrible -

Pros

Discount, 2 free drinks per shift

Cons

Long unstable hours, poor pay (minimum wage), poor management, poor HR, poor site, poor staff levels

They have a good coffee!

I worked in AMT coffee while I was a student. I was lucky because it was super hard to combine work and studies and this job let me do it. On a typical day at work you have busy hours and not busy hours. Busy hours are in the morning an dthen unch time. So, on these hours you need to be concetrated and fast in order to keep everyone happy. On other times you have time to chit chat with customers and be more relaxed. When I was working there, we had people from everywhere as our staff. It was fun experience. The hardest part of this job for me used to be that early waking up. I had to be at work at 6am to be able to opent the place at 6:30am. Some of the shops are open 24hrs so I guess night shifts are not easy. Other than that it is pretty easy as long as you follow the rules and know how to do customer service (be polite, smile, answer the questions).

Laid back and easy

AMT Coffee is a good place to work as a part-timer, thus, recommend to students. Management can sometimes be passive regarding suggestions and improvements.

demanding but ok pay

the job requires lots of dedication for a small shop. things need to be exact and follow specific rules that we all need to comply to. the management in my shop is poor as my manager does not always give everyone their required hours and he usually doesn't listen. The workers are usually very nice to work with but lots of people leave after a week or so because of the management. the hardest part of the job is closing, the manager usually makes one person close and clean the whole shop by themselves which is unfair and no one likes to do it. the only enjoyable part of the job is that we can have regular short breaks, two free hot drinks per shift and 50% off food. also because i am a student, receiving 7.20 an hour is okay and the pay is every two weeks.

Pros

paid every two weeks

Management poor

Management could be better and staff are friendly, the owner of the place is a very nice and understand person but the management is just poor and are not qaulified.

joke of a company

AMT is not a place you want to work in for a long period of time. Unsocial hours were you get an extra £1.20 only until 6am. illegal working practices for example single staffing for 9hours+, Breaks what breaks? Bonuses, what bonuses? High turnover of staff, poor training, dead cafe... come on guys clearly you need to look at this and think what are you doing wrong. Opened bars in the wrong location within Edinburgh airport and expect staff to have to deal with this. It speaks wonders when a new manager lasted a matter of weeks! avoid at all costs! no health and safety, no food hygiene training, no barista training!

Pros

Cons

hours

A place to learn

It's a very stressing job but on the other hand there are many opportunities to meet new people and learn new things. You need to push yourself really far to make the difference. I have learned a lot how to deal with situations before asking my manager or assistant manager. I would say that the hardest part of the job is to deal with costumer that is sick most of time (because the job is inside a hospital), and because it they are not in a good mood. But every day we learn how to deal with this situations and this make us better human beings, and for sure, this is the most enjoyable part of the job.

Pros

Work with a good team

Cons

very hard job

Not great

One is expected to do an unrealistic amount of work in a very short time when closing and opening the bar- this way they want to ensure we do not waste time and work quickly. What it really does is makes us skip important parts or do it anyhow to fit what needs to be done in certain time frame and overall quality of everything goes right down, for example people handle food without gloves just to make it faster,don't check actual temperatures of fridges and products,but write made up ones and so on. The whole day is mostly stressful as you need to clean,serve customers,do paperwork,stock and you need to do it very fast as everyone is in a rush as bars are mostly in the stations,hospitals are less stressful. Break is 30 minutes, unpaid. One is allowed 2 drinks free (not bottled though and not OJ) and 3 food items half price. The co-workers and immediate managers were always cool.Be ready to have countless co-workers though, cause staff rotation is immense,people leaving on average every second week. The most enjoyable part of work is communication with people and meeting many interesting characters. The hardest part of the job is juggling many things at once and handling unrealistic expectations of Head Office and some of the customers,who want the most complicated drink made in under a minute ,cause they want to make their train,which is about to leave and when among all that your new inexperienced colleague spills a jug of hot milk,or the bar gets flooded or electricity goes off,or some essential machine breaks. Also Head Office is hard to deal with as they always right -

Pros

2 free drinks, easy to get employed, easy to get extra hours

Cons

very hard work physically and mentaly

It's the airport's fault, but still

Working in an airport isn't fun. Shifts starting at 3am can get tae [deleted] to put it bluntly. A typical days starts at about 3am when you have to struggle with nightbuses to get in to work. If you don't drive you can never be right on time, so you just have to accept getting time off your pay or sleeping in the store room until your shift starts. It's a thankless job, with thousands of people pouring in to buy a coffee then after two sips abandon it on a table as they have to go through security and can't take it with them. That means cleaning up after people, constantly. There's always the weird smelling guy that always seems to brush your bum on his way past you and asks you weird questions about your love life, and the co-worker who just without warning never shows up. You'll have short hour shifts every night and spend your whole day sleeping. All the food is nasty and frozen. The hardest part is just being awake and cheerful doing something so soul-sucking at such an early hour, and not even getting paid extra for doing it. And cleaning the mouldy "fresh" oranges. The best part about the job is the beverages. I can whine all day about how awful it is working for these guys but they do make decent coffee and milkshakes. Don't get the OJ though. Cleaning those things can put you off orange juice for life

Pros

two free drinks per shift, half price on food

Cons

annoying coworkers, early starts, short shifts, transport, long wait for pay

Friendly workplace. For using our own initiative makes us feel even more creative.

Its quite busy running business. and I mostly like the busy hours. it keeps my body active and brain switched on all the time. Management and co-workers are great personality to work with. I like to plan my day ahead, arrange myself and achieve the target given. Only thing I do not like if anyone is not following the workplace rules and standard. But also my main strength is to make sure that the business is running smoothly.I am very good at adopting and adjusting myself with any situation or make the situation better.

Pros

Bonus scheme.

Cons

Long hours.

In need of improvement

this company need too much improvement within themselves need operations straight, need to control company staff leaver which is 42%. from top management to the lower management just wants to put blames on others rather than take responsibility for something went wrong. Every 3 months new HR manager, new finance department staff, new procurement manager. Need a lot of improvement

Pros

Store Managers have right to choose their own hours to work

Cons

call on days off, no career progression, no career/staff improvement plan, low wages compare to other competitors

ambiente lavorativo stimolante e flessibile con possibilità di crescità

Ottima organizzazione turnistica rispetto reciproco. un'esperienza indimenticabile.

very good team

Interaction with customers Management skills, staff allocating skills Management lacked decision making skills and staff management skills. My co-workers were very hardworking and puctual. The hardest part of the job was allocating co-workers their jobs. The most enjoyable part was interacting with customers.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

short of staffs

Perfect for students

A relatively easy and pleasant place to work at, however the company itself is poorly run by the management, which reflects in high staff turn over and as well as unsatisfied employees.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Unsociable working hours

Every day bring something new

Working as a barista teached me to be very patient and open person. Everyday i´ve met new interesting people some of them vere very nice but sometimes we had customers which were very difficult. This teached me how to handle with very hard samples and how to be resistant for lack of culture. Now there is nothing what can surprise me or scare me. After more than 1 year at London I have met all kinds of people and I know that everything can happend so im trying to be prepared for unexpected all of the time.

Pros

free coffee

Cons

no break

Fun and team work

A typical day consisted of providing the customers with hot drinks and other products offered for selling. While working with AMT, I was able to get a certificate in Business Management based on the experience with the above mentioned company. The most important part of the job was when I managed to create a relaxed relationship with the customers and to know their needs. I had the chance to meet interesting and funny co-workers with whom I was one the same page when it came to work and general aspects.

Pros

Relaxed working style

Cons

Low wages

productive environment

There were shifts with very early hours and the orders had to be prepared really quick as Birmingham New Street Station is the busiest of all stations in Birmingham. The management had some difficulties when our shop manager was trying to communication with regional manager as the people working in the shop know better how this business is functioning and the management of it. Therefore the environment was under fast paced and had to be highly skilled and productive in order to do the job.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

No free lunches, Minimum wage for a lot of duties .

Fast paced work environment

At AMT, I learnt all the required skills to be a confident barista. The environment was busy, and fast-paced, as it was located in the centre of Eastbourne train station. My job required that I handled performing all of the required tasks by myself, enabling me to develop the skills the produce the products for multiple customers at a time, whilst performing the task quickly, and to a high standard. I was also entrusted to close the business, on the evenings that I worked, and cash- up the evenings takings. It could sometimes be trying when there were a long line of customers, all requiring their drinks in less than a minute each, as they were in a rush to catch the train. However, this gave me the practice to hone my skills, and pick up speed, without retracting from the quality of the products I was making.

Pros

Free Lunched

Cons

Productive and demanding, friendly workplace.

Some times it can be very busy there, due to trainstation-location. Management and collegues are both correct, so to speak, we are on friendly term. The work is mostly going on smoothly. The most enjoyable part is to meet interesting customers there-I like deal with people.

It's a good place to work for

It's a good company to work at. Please refer to current work place.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMT Coffee Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AMT Coffee Ltd