ANCORA PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

ANCORA PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Long-term psychiatric care

Started employment at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic and so, job responsibilities and overall job purpose drastically changed. Documentation and policies constantly change; most, in my opinion, are pointless and/or contradictory to certain job expectations and requirements while some are acceptable / appropriate to the times. Population-wise, it’s long-term psychiatric care so in general, patient progress is slow but still occurs nonetheless. Overall, state job that provides ample opportunity to laterally move to other state jobs, inter- and intra-agency.

Pros

Fair compensation, excellent health insurance, excellent retirement plan

Cons

Contradictory rules and policies at times, conflict between different disciplines at times

Awful staff

The staff members have such a negative attitude about working there and show an extreme lack of empathy to the patients. Patients are scared to ask for water, clothes, etc because of the response from workers.

Pros

hour breaks

Cons

toxic work environment

Rn do not recommend

Favoritism and nepotism. Per diems are treated unfairly hence relief oncoming shift everyone is late. Lack of respect for per diem nurses. Unsafe environment

Pros

Flexible scheduling, some of the staff members are amazing

Cons

More then can I can mention, lack of respect from current staff, relief is frequently late on purpose, inability to keep staff due to these conditions.

Could be so much better

The pay and benefits are very good but the administration is disorganized and basically just reacts to problems rather than developing a strategic plan for improvement. Good employees become frustrated and leave and unfortunately this impacts patient care. It could be so much better with a new administrative team

Pros

Pay and benefit package

Cons

Too many to list

A rewarding place to work

Ancora Psychiatric Hospital is the right place to work if you are looking to develop your skills and enhance your trainings. They offer excellent benefits package to their full-time employees and salary is very competitive. Like every other hospital, Ancora has it's own challenges and demands, but the Nurses and staff are the best that I've worked with in my 29 years of experience as an RN! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hospital if you love Psychiatric Nursing!!

Pros

Excellent benefit package

Cons

Occasional staff shortage

Biased

Ancora has potential to be great. But the staffing is horrible!!!! I also feel like there is a culture barrier and sometimes feel outcasted because of my ethnicity.

Ancora

if and only if you are experienced with working with mental illness then you could try this place out. dont count on management to help most of them are only paper pushers. the union will be your best friend.

Pros

overtime

Cons

mandated overtime

The job gets done at a fast pace.

Managers are willing to help if needed. Coworkers work together to help job go by easier. Work/life is good because you can choose either first or second shift. Yes weekends also.

Many training opportunities

I enjoy working with patients and other clinicians. There are many training opportunities. There is currently a shortage of direct care staff which can be challenging.

Dont do it

20 years meant nothing to them union sucks. No flexibility mandating emergency shifts due to weather. No relief have to stay 2 shifts. Gave my life to ancora and fired me for being late.not finding out what's going on.

Patients

I like helping individuals who need advocacy support their journey to wellness. Every day is different, always be prepare for unusual situations to resolve.

me review summary

The place is a fun place to work and it prepares some of the patients for discharge to the community. The facility offers a lot of activities like volleyball, basketball and playing cards. Clients are taken on trips to different places like the zoo and go shopping monthly. The hardest part of the job is when patients act up and hurt somebody or themselves. It's feels rewarding and enjoyable watching everyone working as a team and the patients being compliant responding well to treatments.

Lack of staff, not up to date with record keeping

It seems like there is always a lack of staff and at a facility like this, it is critical to have staff. About 95% of records are paper, and color coded so bring your old multi colored pen!

Very Rewarding

Learned about patient care and recovery, also while providing a culture of safety. Learned Diets and how to handle mental needs clients. mental first aide training offered.

It's a completely different world Rock stop

Great pay flexible hours only issue is many of the employees then have a supervisory position are downright mean and honestly should go back to their country if they don't like the way it is in America

Pros

Great. Flexible hours

Cons

Many of the employees have bad attitudes from their country

The job is very stressful and the moral is low because of the administration and a very weak Union that don't have courage to stand up for employees r

It's use to be a place where there was team work , that time has past become of the low morale and insensitivity of the administration . You good employees that work there

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

No advancement possibilities

Only apply if your desperate. They do not respect any opinions. I liked the job for a few years but they do not promote and give extra work without extra pay.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Unprofessional leaders

Very good place to work

Very good place to work. Good working environment and wonderful coworkers. I have learned alot about this job and continuing to learn and I love the places you work at.

APH has its good and bad points. In my opinion I think it is time for me to move forward

I enjoy what I do. I enjoy helping people who have been through rough times in their life that have led them to be at a facility like APH. I would like to further my education to possibly find other ways to help such individuals that I work with.

Don’t bother

If you haven’t been there for 10 plus years already don’t bother. Waste of time ok. Too many miserable ppl at that place. It’s not worth your time. They don’t care about staff at all

Working at Ancora was ok.

I was there as a provisional employee. Got to work in a few varied positions within the hospital. I have gained respect for those that worked directly with the patients. They have a tough job. All things being equal I enjoyed my time at Ancora. Depending on where I was assigned, I found some jobs more challenging then others.

Pros

Health Benefits

Cons

Low pay, the time it takes to be moved from a part time &/or provisional employee to a full time employee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ANCORA PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ANCORA PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL