ANZ

New Zealand94 reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Found 94 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,194 reviews

Stressful but fulfilling job

In all honesty this job was a great job all round, the managers were very supportive but it could get quite stressful sometimes. Had the best support and training, just wasn’t the job for me

Pros

Good support, training and development

Cons

Can be stressful

This company has lost its way - sad.

When I first started at ANZ, the company was thriving, a good office culture and management that at least on a basic level tried to show interest in each individual and reward/acknowledge hard work and did quirky things like pizza once a month or shouting the teams lunch etc. Progressively over the years however management have cut back on hiring, infrastructure and property investment is dire (some of the buildings except corporate are really showing their age) and staff retention is at an all time low - I have NEVER seen it this bad. STILL using the "Covid Excuse" workplace culture has been gutted, no-one comes into the office anymore because their is no incentive to and every team whether it be frontline bankers or technology teams are soooo under-resourced. Management are either wilfully ignorant or simply don't care anymore, so long as the profits keep rolling in. We have lost SO many staff recently (entire teams disbanded due to lack of staff or stealthy redundancies as others have pointed out) to competitors who are willing to pay people their worth, offer more favourable terms of employment and overall a better place to work. I have worked across many areas of the bank from frontline, to behind the scenes and I do not blame my colleagues for looking after themselves and leaving. From having atrocious hours in the contact centre continuously for years (Which destroyed my social life - was quite literally only sleeping on my days off) on end and terrible stagnant pay with a top down micromanagement senior leadership team, to the cumbersome and autocratic back office teams -

Good pay, poor management

ANZ about a year ago was a very vibrant, fun workplace with good culture. However constant company restructures, moving backwards with engineering practices, and redundancy by stealth has caused a lot of resignations in 2022 and left the Auckland tech teams a husk of what they were.Pros:- Good pay- Generally good work/life balanceCons:- Convoluted and wasteful management structure- Leadership makes decisions without seeking input/feedback from its engineers- Backwards engineering process/funding model (waterfall, expect to not write code for months)- You could well face redundancy by stealth (put in a team in another city so that you become fully remote) if another restructure happens in a period of tight budget

Great job if you have what it takes!

It was a fun experience for me, though it can be hard at times. Great people in general to work with and for. The hours can be difficult to work if you have children.

Pros

Pays the bills

Cons

High expectations, micro management

Leadership really supports hard work and work-life balance. They want to see you succeed and will work with you.

The best part of the job is the team I work with, they are all really competent, really friendly and definitely enjoy working together. It makes it easier to come to work and to work through the hard stuff.

Pros

Worklife balance, flexible working

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit of top-down approach when it comes to decision making.

Favouritism

Not a proffesional recruitment teamFavouritism work for getting jobHire person reffered by staff onlyGood place to work with less salaryFormality interview to waste other person's time

Good employer if you find the right job

My time at anz was pretty good. the contact centre is kinda average though. The amount of support and training they can give you is amazing. The pressure to succeed... not some much

Pros

Salary, amazing resources to support you

Cons

Expectations

Not recommended

Trainers were quick to bully new employees. When we tried to speak out or question something with learning aspects, we were shut down and told to take on feedback more.

Pros

My friends

Cons

Bullying

Great place to work at. Fantastic facilities and a great social atmosphere

Everyday was a busy day and that made for full and fun times. Some stress but that's only to be expected in the role I had. I learnt lots of technical stuff and really enjoyed my time there

Pros

Lots of free food. Great support

Cons

With cutting edge technology, we had to learning on the run - so had to learn fast

Productive and Busy workplace

Working for ANZ Bank was a very fast pace job. You deal with many customers during your day and process a lot of requests. I enjoyed meeting new people on the daily

Competitive, stressful place to work

The team culture changed a lot over the time that I was employed by ANZ driven by targets and share of wallet that often it breed a culture of dog eat dog. The team moral often dipped as a result when those who had worked extremely hard never quite made the often fluid shifting of the goal posts and their good was never deemed good enough and thus missed out on the inaugural bonus or team perks. Sometimes just recognizing and rewarding ones efforts for what they are regardless of how they measured against their counterpart does more for ensuring staff loyalty and building trust and confidence that continually flogging dead horse.

Fun workplace

A typical day at the Bank will start with staff meeting then checking for incoming mail and prioritizing work for the day. Start with easy tasks first then get on with the rest in order of priority. One thing I learned that time management by utilizing your calendar is very important to achieve your tasks for the day. There will be a lot of interruptions i.e. phone calls and emails during the day but if you keep to your time management and make time for planning for the next day then your day will always be fun and enjoyable because of our workload are managed

Is a good company to work with

Great place for work and coffees. Good team. Great work life balance and very accommodative. Amazing site manager. On the whole a good place to work in a long run.

Pros

Good atmosphere and great people

stressful and poor training

The call center is one of the bottoms lines, Training was just trying to meet the deadline, instead of quality training. Soon you will be pushed into the deep end. Employee retention is very low. If you want to suicide your career here is the place.

Good

Overall Good. Culture has been a focus and has improved significantly. A range of opportunities are avaialble if you look for them. Managers are a mixed bag, generally they are good at what they do and the higher management and Executive level welcome communicating with them personally

fun and challenging

I enjoyed working for ANZ, we had our busy day and relax days and also very challenging as their were so much different products to learned and remember to easily make a sale and complete the sale. The hardest part of the job is when I don't keep up knowing my products, so it was hard for me to sell and answer the customer's enquiries, so I think outside the box and refer the customer to an appropriate consultant, and hopefully the consultant will get a sale. Management excellent, we get on well and helpful in any difficult situation arises within my part. The most enjoyable part of the job is towards the end of the day when we all balanced and enjoy a laugh with our Manager and colleagues. Typical day when the door opens in the morning and a customer walked in not happy with their bankings. But of course we are trained to deal with unhappy clients. So they walk in their way and walk out in our way. So another word they walk in unhappy and walk out with a happy smile.

Stressfull targets

Was a goodplace to work 10 years ago , now it just looks after share holders not staff. Would never work there again . Management not experienced and rely on older staff then treat them badly so they leave.

Awesome place to work

Apart from few exceptions, This place is awesome to work at. The Work life balance is really good. Overall the working culture is awesome.Good place to stay for long term.

productive

This place allows a lot of things to recreate and sharpen up your talents and then to move around in the oraganisation and move foward in this banking system.

Great employer in New Zealand

Great employer who is forward thinking in regards to work life balance. There seems to be a lot of room for career progression if you stand out and outperform as an employee.

Pros

Flexibility, supportive leadership

Cons

Bureaucratic processes, slow moving

Great culture

My experience at ANZ New Zealand was that it is values focused, with respect, collaboration and open communication driving an excellent culture. It also supported an excellent work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ANZ. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• ANZ
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?