AO-Drivers

AO-Drivers Employee Reviews

2.4Work–Life Balance

Worked at far better places

Went into work every day without fail with absolutely no problems, did every job to the best of my ability. However arriving to work one morning and the van had a puncture. Waited for that to be fixed (2 hours) and went out with the 10 hour run, tried to fail a delivery for an American Fridge freezer due to being given 12 minutes to complete the job, and it needing doors to be taken off which would take around an hour, with already being 2 hours behind. Depot organised for another crew to sort it out, we finished the run and got back at 19:30. And the very next day got told that they wouldn’t need my services anymore because of that ONE delivery out of 100’s of great delivery’s.

great team, lots of opportunity

work in your own crew so nice and friendly, depot managers nice tooroutes can feel long at times but that comes with the jobthey've done lots to improve things recently at AO and definitely made a massive difference to the culture

Ao

not paid enough you have work few hours extra for free also when you work they don’t give you enough time you have to do rush and damage any thing you must pay your self.my Recommend stay away with AO drive.

Pros

1star

Cons

Long hour

good guys, work was mostly ok but had some drawbacks, long hours etc

as abovegood guys, work was mostly ok but had some drawbacks, long hours etc.pay was ok as own crew, multi crew took a large chunkmanagement at depot friendly - higher up not so much

It’s hard and you don’t get paid well for the hours

Routes are pre-plannned by a computer or a sadist … say you get paid a “route” 8 hours … it doesn’t include delays, traffic, your drive home which could and regularly is 2-3 hours after the run. 5 star bonus scheme is a joke set up to fail… a customer can say you’re amazing and click 4 stars not 5 and you don’t get a payment from it no matter how many 5 stars you have already accrued… joke. It also isn’t accurate it’s based on say a washing machine to be Plummed in sterile conditions perfect fitting at AO base… but in real life every job is longer and different but you aren’t paid to reflect that.Calculate the hours worked and the pay you are always below minimum wage. Better jobs out there I wouldn’t do it if you don’t have to.

Pros

Weekly pay, own boss to a point

Cons

Not paid in balance to the hours of work you actually do

3 November 2021
Many thanks for leaving the review. Expert Logistics will pay you for Services provided by you at the rate multiplied by Expert’s estimation of the time required to complete the Services. However, we do appreciate that there may be times where the load is not available at the correct time which can be discussed directly with the depot. If you wish to discuss any of these points further then please do not hesitate to contact us further at driverdisputes@ao.com

Stay away.

Do not believe what you are told at the interview. You will not get paid anything near what they advertise. They decide before you get into the van how long it will take you to do the day's work.... well add another 2-3 hours, but you won't get paid for the extra hours.Expect to work 50 -60 hours per month for free.... yes free.The routing system(s) they use is absolutely useless, it estimates the time from point A to B hours when the roads are quiet.There is No allowance for temporary speed restrictions, road works, rush hour traffic, issues at customers property, eg customer still in bed, customers on school run, customers pipe work is behind cupboards, customers pipe work is leaking etc etc.If you have American fridge freezer to install you have 17 minutes to get it off the back of the van, ( you may have 8 scrap appliances to offload first before you can get to it) unpack it remove the doors, get it in the customers house.Then you need to replace the doors reconnect the electrical components.Unscrew the back panel get the water pipe and filter out and connect to the water mains, remove all tape and packaging from inside the appliance, test the water is going through, clean up remove tools etc etc, and get back in the van , all in 17 minutes. Now if you can do this in this time you are going to do well, but 99% of the time this is impossible You will see you schedule fall further behind has the day progress.Once you get behind your schedule you will never catch up.When you do encounter problems you are expected to phone " Driver line" majority are lovely people, -

Pros

You decide what days you want to work.

Cons

Poor routing, long hours without pay. Scruffy bashed up vans.

7 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We've got a lot of ground to cover from your words which would be difficult to discuss in our response. So we urge you to reach out to us directly via driverdisputes@ao.com so that we can discuss your review in more detail and in full confidence.

Fairly good job, some issues

Been a self employed driver for AO (expert logistics) for a few months now. Generally an enjoyable job, good wage, good bonus prospects and pretty easy work if you've done anything manual before. Always had all shifts put in for so far. Only issues for me are 1-start times. 10am for a 10 hour shift is daft. Also 2-often unrealistic job times and inaccurate driving times between jobs meaning its very easy to work well over your paid hours. Simple things such as traffic, parking, customer answering door and even traffic lights are not accounted for in ETA's. Overtime can be claimed however, but sometimes difficult to actually get

Pros

Flexibility, bring a friend on board, good bonus opportunities

Cons

Late starts, unrealistic job times and travel times.

31 August 2021
Hi, thank you for your review and for the 4 stars! We're glad that you enjoy the work you do and are enjoying some of the benefits of being a self-employed driver with AO. Our routing system takes into account road speeds (for example we have recently added time to deliveries since lockdown has eased) and where we have relevant information from customers we will allow extra time for steps. We constantly review our return times to ensure that the time allocated to deliver the service is fair. With that said, we'll feedback on your points to the relevant teams so that we might make these improvements in the future. All the best, AO

Poor environment-large turnover of staff

It’s a poor example of a logistics firm, there is little to no guidance from management and the manner in which they operate the way you are enabled to work is open to abuse , and often is, thus leaving you unsure if you will have any work or not.They get away with this by having all drivers on a self employed basis and operate under a subsidiary company called Expert logistics. It’s an old boys club type environment where new starters are seen as a threat by other drivers and thus just makes it a bad working atmosphere.The high turnover of staff supports this.

Pros

Free drinks and snacks some days

Cons

No security, unknown if you will be working enough to support your family

9 August 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We work closely with Expert Logistics who help us find the very best self-employed drivers up and down the country to deliver excellent customer service to AO customers. I am deeply concerned about the serious allegations in your review and would like to investigate your accusations further with the utmost confidence. I encourage you to contact us directly at driverdisputes@ao.com with your crew ID and confirm whether you hold a contract with us or contact us via a multi-crew so that this can be investigated in more detail. All the best, AO

Fair place to work

As a driver i find AO a good place to work, you can earn some good money if the effort is put in, hours and availability are flexible, payed per route but if you make time then you will be job and finished still payed your route time, yes sometimes they have trailer issues which causes some days to be late out but the majority is early finish payed routes, the depot staff are very helpful and friendly, overall a good place to work, i have worked for many company's as this company if by far the most chilled out

Pros

fun place to work

Cons

can be long hours

27 July 2021
Thanks for the 4 stars and the glowing review! We think you've summed up what's it's like being a subcontractor with AO really well and we value your honesty and kind words. Thanks again, all the best!

pre loaded vans, uniform, fuel, no up front cost to work, no lease on van, excellent chance to earn extra money by doing a good job, no pressure and friendly staff

Pros

free stacks and flexible working days

8 June 2021
Thanks for your glowing review! We've worked hard to prepare contractors with all the things they'll need to carry out steller service for AO customers, and we're so glad you highlighted that in your review. Thank you again, and all the best.

Firm but fair place, really happy staff at the depot

Really friendly company has a family feel, from the early days of the open-days to being out on the road the staff were always there to support you. The facilities on site are maintained very well along with there fleet. they order shopping in for the drivers which is a nice touch and there is always someone on the end of the phone to speak to. Overall I have had a great experience with AO would defiantly recommend to a friend.

Pros

Friendly people that care, good support for the drivers

Cons

some days can be long.

9 June 2021
Thank you for your kind words! You’ve got it bang on, we try to create a family feel in all aspects - Drivers included - and we're so thrilled that you feel this way. All the best - AO Drivers

Great depot atmosphere, although very busy a fun place to be

A general day is very busy and very full on, especially being Management based but still a great work atmosphere to be involved in and very engaging with all co workers and crews.There has been many changes and improvements at our site and are now seeing the results and benefits all-round for each department.Such a mixed culture but that's what makes it interesting everyday there is always much to learn.The best part for me is seeing where we was as a depot previously to what we are now achieving together. Some great results and Teamwork.

Pros

Snacks available to staff and crews

8 June 2021
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us – it was lovely to read. Wishing you all the best!

5* Drivers

5* drivers are rewarded with additional payment for delivering excellence. Work what days suit your life style so you can be off during the week for your kids and work weekends or swap it round ! AO is a fantastic company to contract for.

Pros

Rewarded for excellent customer service

8 June 2021
What an amazing review - thank you for taking the time to write it! We're always making that sure we’re rewarding you fairly for the great work contractors do for us, so it’s great to hear that you think we’re hitting the mark. Thank you again.

Fun, good work like balance

Fun place to contract to, get paid to travel and see the country. Flexible days, work when you want. Hard work but the benefits outweigh this, happy customers means more work , would definitely recommend

Pros

Work when you like, vehicle and fuel paid for.

Cons

Hard work but worth it

1 June 2021
Thanks for your review. As you have mentioned, while it is hard work being a self-employed driver, we've introduced benefits that outweigh that and we're so glad you can enjoy them! All the best - AO.

Changes are happening glad I came back

I worked here about 2 years ago, the place was not the best but the money was good and flexible working was what i wanted due to other commitments.I have recently came back to supply my services and wow what a difference the place and buzz around the place is loads better than it used to be, money is still really good and i can pick and choose the days i want to work now on a app on the phone which makes life so much easier, there is also now a chance to earn even more money by getting good positive feedback so as long as you are great with the customers have a laugh and a joke you are rewarded for this..... Some days are hard but you are paid well for them so can't moan

Pros

flexible working, great money can be earned

Cons

none really

1 June 2021
Welcome back! We're so pleased to hear that you have seen massive improvements since the first time around. We've tried to make Drivers lives as easy as possible with the app to allow for them to be as flexible as they like. Thank you for your review and all the best.

Flexible and loads of work

I love the flexibility. Doesn't suit everyone but for me and my family its perfect. I was trained well and love the focus on customers rather than just drop and go. Always been one for a challenge and some days certainly are! Good pay and the new 5* payments are a real bonus too! Some days can be long but I just think of the money Im earning !

Pros

own boss, customer focused, loads of work

1 June 2021
We're so glad to hear that the flexibility of being a self-employed Driver for AO works for you. The 5* service scheme was put in place for Drivers such as yourself - the ones going above and beyond for AO's customers and we're so grateful for all the hard work you put in! Well done - AO

Great pay if you are prepared to work hard

This is the best self employed driving job I've ever had. Great opportunity to earn money if you are prepared to put the days in.Just implemented a bonus scheme called 5*, basically I can earn an additional £80 per day if my customers rate me as delivering a great service.For me this is a no brainer as I treat all my customers in a pleasant respectful manner and earn the bonus 4 days out of 5 regularly.

Pros

Good pay including 5* bonus payments for delivering 5* service

Cons

Physically demanding

1 June 2021
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I'm so pleased to read that you enjoy your time as an AO Driver. It sounds like you've mastered the 5* scheme and are doing an excellent service for AO's customers. So well done, and thank you for all your hard work!

Self employed, rewarding, money to earn if you work hard

I've been a driver for this company for a number of years now and have seen it change a lot in this time. This year there have been massive changes to how the self employed are paid though and it is now a pretty stable job.I get to choose which days I work. They're sometimes quite long but other days if everything is going right, I can cut a couple of hours off. If you do a good job and make sure you don't get any customer complaints you can get extra payments for each day you are out. Its not easy to do, because some customers just complain for the sake of it even if you have done nothing wrong. But it makes you try your hardest on every delivery.It can be really hard work, but i'm not afraid of a bit of graft. I just get on with my day with a smile, have a bit of banter with my mate and earn myself some money.

Pros

Flexibility, own boss, potential earnings if you are good

Cons

Some long days

24 May 2021
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. You've summed up what it's like to be an AO Driver really well and thank you for all your hard work with us over the years. All the best - AO

Keeps getting better

I have worked as a self employed driver for a few years now and over the last few months they have brought in a new 5*payment scheme which has really helped to boost my earnings. This can be a really difficult role and there is alot of manual work involved but now you get rewarded for great customer service it makes it all worth while.

Pros

Great customers

Cons

can be long hours

24 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're so glad to hear that your time as an AO Driver keeps getting better, as you reap the benefits of being an AO ambassador and delivering a 5* service to AO customers. Thank you for all your hard work.

Works around my family Life

Days are pre organized so I can work around my wife's shift work, hours are long but rewarding, earn good money to carry out deliveries, new incentive called 5 Star means I can earn more money just for being myself with the customers, I have always found if you have an issue depot are very approachable

Pros

flexible working, livable income

24 May 2021
Hi, thank you for leaving your review. We're so pleased that the shift patterns work for you and we're so glad that you mentioned it here. We like to offer Drivers flexible working hours that suit them, as finding a healthy work/life balance is very important. You've summed up the 5 Star service really well too, and it sounds like you have it down to a tee. Thank you again.

Get what you put in

To be fair this place is spot on. I've had up and downs but just part of any job. Really flexible that suits me down to a tee. Work when I want not when someone tells me to. Just started issuing more payments for good customer feedback and its looking like a bumper start to this years earnings ( as long as the customer are bothered to reply).

Pros

Flexible, job and knock, get paid what you're worth.

Cons

6am starts, sometimes long hours and some miserable people.

19 May 2021
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We take pride in being able to offer AO Drivers a healthy work/life balance, and we're so pleased that the flexibility of your role works for you. Thank you for all your hard work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AO-Drivers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• AO-Drivers
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?