AO-Drivers logo
AO-Drivers
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

AO-Drivers Employee Reviews

2.4Work–Life Balance

Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Alot of stress, pushed to cut corners due to the load, loaders made life hard (mixed vans, missing goods). The better you do, the harder it gets. Which in my opinion is quite a flawed system, I quite enjoyed the job in the beginning; starting at 6am, finishing at 1pm/2pm.We took pride in our jobs, always had 100% (if you dont get 100%, you won't get days, that's just how it works). Unfortunately this led to us getting the hardest days. (35 deliveries, including connecting 4/5 washing machines aswell as collecting scraps which there was never space on the van for, along with multiple American Fridge Freezer connections) meaning we were working minimum 12 hour days but only getting paid for the 'route hours' which always seemed to be like 6-8 hours, you can try to get paid for your hours, but you won't get them. Worked multiple 70+ hour weeks, only got paid for 40 odd hours. Shame, I enjoyed the job for the most part in the beginning, alot of satisfaction, just a shame about the management!

Pros

Good with the right team mate

Cons

Long hours, dont get paid for the amount of hours you do.

5 May 2021
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We always want our self-employed drivers to benefit and enjoy the model we operate, and it is disappointing to learn when we don’t fulfil expectations. If you were able to email us at driverdisputes@ao.com with further information, it would be much appreciated.

27 April 2021
We take pride in the healthy work/life balance we offer our staff, so I’m disappointed to read your review. With regards to the points you have risen in your review, we’d appreciate you getting in touch with us to elaborate and we can investigate. Thanks - AO

Poor environment-large turnover of staff

It’s a poor example of a logistics firm, there is little to no guidance from management and the manner in which they operate the way you are enabled to work is open to abuse , and often is, thus leaving you unsure if you will have any work or not.They get away with this by having all drivers on a self employed basis and operate under a subsidiary company called Expert logistics. It’s an old boys club type environment where new starters are seen as a threat by other drivers and thus just makes it a bad working atmosphere.The high turnover of staff supports this.

Pros

Free drinks and snacks some days

Cons

No security, unknown if you will be working enough to support your family

Fair place to work

As a driver i find AO a good place to work, you can earn some good money if the effort is put in, hours and availability are flexible, payed per route but if you make time then you will be job and finished still payed your route time, yes sometimes they have trailer issues which causes some days to be late out but the majority is early finish payed routes, the depot staff are very helpful and friendly, overall a good place to work, i have worked for many company's as this company if by far the most chilled out

Pros

fun place to work

Cons

can be long hours

pre loaded vans, uniform, fuel, no up front cost to work, no lease on van, excellent chance to earn extra money by doing a good job, no pressure and friendly staff

Pros

free stacks and flexible working days

8 June 2021
Thanks for your glowing review! We've worked hard to prepare contractors with all the things they'll need to carry out steller service for AO customers, and we're so glad you highlighted that in your review. Thank you again, and all the best.

Firm but fair place, really happy staff at the depot

Really friendly company has a family feel, from the early days of the open-days to being out on the road the staff were always there to support you. The facilities on site are maintained very well along with there fleet. they order shopping in for the drivers which is a nice touch and there is always someone on the end of the phone to speak to. Overall I have had a great experience with AO would defiantly recommend to a friend.

Pros

Friendly people that care, good support for the drivers

Cons

some days can be long.

9 June 2021
Thank you for your kind words! You’ve got it bang on, we try to create a family feel in all aspects - Drivers included - and we're so thrilled that you feel this way. All the best - AO Drivers

Great depot atmosphere, although very busy a fun place to be

A general day is very busy and very full on, especially being Management based but still a great work atmosphere to be involved in and very engaging with all co workers and crews.There has been many changes and improvements at our site and are now seeing the results and benefits all-round for each department.Such a mixed culture but that's what makes it interesting everyday there is always much to learn.The best part for me is seeing where we was as a depot previously to what we are now achieving together. Some great results and Teamwork.

Pros

Snacks available to staff and crews

8 June 2021
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us – it was lovely to read. Wishing you all the best!

5* Drivers

5* drivers are rewarded with additional payment for delivering excellence. Work what days suit your life style so you can be off during the week for your kids and work weekends or swap it round ! AO is a fantastic company to contract for.

Pros

Rewarded for excellent customer service

8 June 2021
What an amazing review - thank you for taking the time to write it! We're always making that sure we’re rewarding you fairly for the great work contractors do for us, so it’s great to hear that you think we’re hitting the mark. Thank you again.

Fun, good work like balance

Fun place to contract to, get paid to travel and see the country. Flexible days, work when you want. Hard work but the benefits outweigh this, happy customers means more work , would definitely recommend

Pros

Work when you like, vehicle and fuel paid for.

Cons

Hard work but worth it

1 June 2021
Thanks for your review. As you have mentioned, while it is hard work being a self-employed driver, we've introduced benefits that outweigh that and we're so glad you can enjoy them! All the best - AO.

Changes are happening glad I came back

I worked here about 2 years ago, the place was not the best but the money was good and flexible working was what i wanted due to other commitments.I have recently came back to supply my services and wow what a difference the place and buzz around the place is loads better than it used to be, money is still really good and i can pick and choose the days i want to work now on a app on the phone which makes life so much easier, there is also now a chance to earn even more money by getting good positive feedback so as long as you are great with the customers have a laugh and a joke you are rewarded for this..... Some days are hard but you are paid well for them so can't moan

Pros

flexible working, great money can be earned

Cons

none really

1 June 2021
Welcome back! We're so pleased to hear that you have seen massive improvements since the first time around. We've tried to make Drivers lives as easy as possible with the app to allow for them to be as flexible as they like. Thank you for your review and all the best.

Flexible and loads of work

I love the flexibility. Doesn't suit everyone but for me and my family its perfect. I was trained well and love the focus on customers rather than just drop and go. Always been one for a challenge and some days certainly are! Good pay and the new 5* payments are a real bonus too! Some days can be long but I just think of the money Im earning !

Pros

own boss, customer focused, loads of work

1 June 2021
We're so glad to hear that the flexibility of being a self-employed Driver for AO works for you. The 5* service scheme was put in place for Drivers such as yourself - the ones going above and beyond for AO's customers and we're so grateful for all the hard work you put in! Well done - AO

Great pay if you are prepared to work hard

This is the best self employed driving job I've ever had. Great opportunity to earn money if you are prepared to put the days in.Just implemented a bonus scheme called 5*, basically I can earn an additional £80 per day if my customers rate me as delivering a great service.For me this is a no brainer as I treat all my customers in a pleasant respectful manner and earn the bonus 4 days out of 5 regularly.

Pros

Good pay including 5* bonus payments for delivering 5* service

Cons

Physically demanding

1 June 2021
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I'm so pleased to read that you enjoy your time as an AO Driver. It sounds like you've mastered the 5* scheme and are doing an excellent service for AO's customers. So well done, and thank you for all your hard work!

Self employed, rewarding, money to earn if you work hard

I've been a driver for this company for a number of years now and have seen it change a lot in this time. This year there have been massive changes to how the self employed are paid though and it is now a pretty stable job.I get to choose which days I work. They're sometimes quite long but other days if everything is going right, I can cut a couple of hours off. If you do a good job and make sure you don't get any customer complaints you can get extra payments for each day you are out. Its not easy to do, because some customers just complain for the sake of it even if you have done nothing wrong. But it makes you try your hardest on every delivery.It can be really hard work, but i'm not afraid of a bit of graft. I just get on with my day with a smile, have a bit of banter with my mate and earn myself some money.

Pros

Flexibility, own boss, potential earnings if you are good

Cons

Some long days

24 May 2021
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. You've summed up what it's like to be an AO Driver really well and thank you for all your hard work with us over the years. All the best - AO

Keeps getting better

I have worked as a self employed driver for a few years now and over the last few months they have brought in a new 5*payment scheme which has really helped to boost my earnings. This can be a really difficult role and there is alot of manual work involved but now you get rewarded for great customer service it makes it all worth while.

Pros

Great customers

Cons

can be long hours

24 May 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're so glad to hear that your time as an AO Driver keeps getting better, as you reap the benefits of being an AO ambassador and delivering a 5* service to AO customers. Thank you for all your hard work.

Works around my family Life

Days are pre organized so I can work around my wife's shift work, hours are long but rewarding, earn good money to carry out deliveries, new incentive called 5 Star means I can earn more money just for being myself with the customers, I have always found if you have an issue depot are very approachable

Pros

flexible working, livable income

24 May 2021
Hi, thank you for leaving your review. We're so pleased that the shift patterns work for you and we're so glad that you mentioned it here. We like to offer Drivers flexible working hours that suit them, as finding a healthy work/life balance is very important. You've summed up the 5 Star service really well too, and it sounds like you have it down to a tee. Thank you again.

Get what you put in

To be fair this place is spot on. I've had up and downs but just part of any job. Really flexible that suits me down to a tee. Work when I want not when someone tells me to. Just started issuing more payments for good customer feedback and its looking like a bumper start to this years earnings ( as long as the customer are bothered to reply).

Pros

Flexible, job and knock, get paid what you're worth.

Cons

6am starts, sometimes long hours and some miserable people.

19 May 2021
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We take pride in being able to offer AO Drivers a healthy work/life balance, and we're so pleased that the flexibility of your role works for you. Thank you for all your hard work!

Good pay

Since the company has introduced a new payment scheme called 5*, my potential earnings has really increased & its really clear what I need to do to achieve the extra money which makes the job better paid than any other that I've done before. We are treated fairly as self employed drivers. I enjoy meeting new customers every day. The work is hard initially whilst you get up to speed with the different deliveries but I found that after that initial period, it was fine.

Pros

Earning potential

17 May 2021
Hi, thank you for leaving this amazing review! We think our 5* driver scheme is a great way to up your revenue whilst being a brilliant, stand-out AO ambassador, and it sounds like you have nailed it! Thank you for all your hard work

Additional pay available for being an amazing driver

Have been with AO for about 2yrs now. Being self employed I can chose when I work and have always managed to fit it around my family life. The rate of pay has always been ok but in March AO launched 5 star which has given me the opportunity to increase my earnings from positive feedback received from customers and have certainly started to see this come through.

Pros

Ability to earn more

17 May 2021
Hi, thank you for your kind words! We pride ourselves on providing a flexible work/life balance that works for each and every Driver and their circumstances. We're pleased to hear this works for you around your family life. Thank you again.

Flexible job and great customers

I've been driving for them for about a year now since the pandemic hit and its been an interesting switch. The work can be tiring but customers seem to love AO and you are usually welcome which makes it a lot easier. Best part is its really flexible and now they have started giving payments for 5* service I have seen my money go up each week just for being extra polite and helping where I can. I'd definitely recommend it if you want a flexible lifestyle and the chance to earn more than just an hourly rate

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

You need a lot of energy

17 May 2021
What a great review! We introduced the 5* Drive payment scheme to recognise the hard work that our drivers do on behalf of AO. So thank you and all the best - AO

Things are changing

I have worked as a delivery driver at AO for a few years. It is a tough job with high expectations so I can understand some of the reviews as it isn't for everyone. If you care though and are willing to give good customer service then its pretty easy. Its long days but I have the choice and flex to work when I want and now they have changed the way in which drivers are paid there is an opportunity to earn really decent money. The hardest part of the job is traffic but that is to be expected in a driving role, the best part is working with the customers and receiving great feedback which means you earn more!

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Traffic

17 May 2021
As an AO Driver, it pays to go the extra mile for our customers, and you are proof of just that! We think it's all about having the right attitude and communication is key. Thank you for your review - all the best

Flexible and the chance to make decent money

I've been driving for AO for about 10 weeks now at Spennymoor branch. You put down on the app what days you want to work and then they let you know if you have a run or not. You get a text the night before with your start time then go and collect the van with the products. Its really flexible and most of the time I get the days I want. The job is great driving around, talking to customers - it is heavy lifting (american fridges especially) and long days but you have a drivers mate with you to help. If you get back early you still get paid for the hours which I really like but I don't like odd the days when I get back late.If your customers give you 5 stars you get an extra payment which is fantastic, sometimes as much as £60 extra per day between you and your mate and its easy to get the customers to give you a good score if you are nice to them. Staff at the depot are helpful if you have any issues. Paid weekly as well.

Pros

Flexible, talking to customers, work with your mate, weekly pay and extra payments on top of rate

Cons

Long hours, heavy lifting

17 May 2021
We pride ourselves on giving our customers a brilliant experience, and it sounds like you have it mastered - it truly does pay to go the extra mile. 5* drivers like yourself don't go unnoticed. Thank you for your glowing review, and thank you for all your hard work.

Flexible Working and Great Team

I've been working out of the Crewe depot for a few months now. The depot staff are really helpful. Work is normally always available to me and really flexible. Apart from the heavy lifting, which I have a mate to help with, I can't really complainNo day is the same and get to meet lots of different people every day. Recently introduced a scheme where there is opportunities to earn more money based on customer feedback which is great and really boosting my pay.Overall would recommend to a friend.

Pros

Flexible Work, Availability of Work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AO-Drivers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5