Auckland Council Employee Reviews

Productive organisation with worklife balance
Corporate Performance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand21 August 2018
Auckland Council is an amazing organisation to work for. There are lots of opportunities and room for growth and career development, support for further study and attending courses required to complete the job.
Pros
Worklife balance, flexible hours
Cons
Large organisation, sometime it is difficult to get things done
Horrible Inefficient
Management (Former Employee) –  Manukau, Auckland13 August 2018
This place sucks. Regularly work 70-80 hours a week. Once had to work 28 days straight without a day off. Chronically understaffed. Absent senior managers, pay low, have to deal with abusive public. Good riddance.
Cons
Records Administrator - Property Records (Current Employee) –  Waitakere, Auckland18 June 2018
A Typical day for myself as things have changed a lot is scanning of hard copy documents and preparing so that documents can be viewed electronically to the public, also ordering of stationery an coffee supply's and sending files offsite to our current storage provider
Pros
job security
Good people to work with
Emergency Management (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland15 May 2018
My role in Emergency Management was a very rewarding position held for a long period of time. I most enjoyed my role in supporting and assisting our communities during natural disaster events.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Travelling
Work hard when at work, relax with an exercise or visit friends.
Enforcement Officer/ Food Safety Officer. (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand18 April 2018
Arrive at work, enter last days time sheet recording, check all my emails, respond to it as required. Go onto the work Dashboard, select the job I need to do. Open them, save them and contact customer if required. Plan the route to take with importance in mind.

Around mid morning leave for inspections. Return when job done around mid afternoon. Update the inspection on council system. Check if their is any other important job to attend to. Otherwise wind down to go home.

Love playing pool
Pros
mix around well.
Cons
I can't sit down do nothing
Good employer
Change Manager - People and Capability (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland19 February 2018
Good employer with a range of opportunities. Lots of unique demands to deal with on daily basis allowing for opportunities to share key learnings. High demand environment.
Pros
Large organisation
Cons
High public scrutiny
Reasonable place to work, fulfilling projects
Policy Analyst; Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland15 February 2018
Auckland Council has similar problems to all large organisations, silos, issues with management, and so on. However, the satisfaction gained from working somewhere where your work impacts positively on others' lives stands public organisation work apart from other large employers.
A great place to work
Research (Current Employee) –  Auckland4 February 2018
A great place to work which allows an ideal balance between work and family life.

Many different career opportunities and potential to try new things in different areas of council.
IT department depressing place to work
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland10 January 2018
Workloads are overflowing and some bad managers regularly insult other staff and bully employees. Culture is very conservative. Feels like workplace from 50 years ago. Staff frequently made redundant and remaining coworkers expected to do their work. On the plus side, do get to work on some projects which benefit the Auckland community.
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
Staff treated with contempt
Terrible Management
Project management (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland8 January 2018
Less is more was the culture of the team. Less team members doing more work. Unfortunately a team of 7 could not do what a team of 15 was supposed to do. Years of struggle have come before and will be ahead for this team.

Other teams with in Auckland Council I had no trouble with.
Varied work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland7 January 2018
The work was varied but not suitable for myself. Through it I was able to learn alot about working in a professional environment. I was to also meet a variety of people.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auckland2 January 2018
People ,make the place a great place to work however the management not so great. Working in the contact centre everything is timed including toilet breaks
Cons
timed breaks etc
No 2 days were ever the same
Call Centre / Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland6 December 2017
Some complex calls, very fast paced, great culture and good laughs with good colleagues. I do miss working here and would have liked to stay on and gain more knowledge and skills.
Pros
Collegues were very helpful
Poor Management
Pool Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland24 November 2017
Enjoyed the job in the beginning, not so much towards the end due to management issues. I worked alongside good people, but the management team were poor
Pros
Use of gym, team members
Great work[place
Specialist Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Zealand5 October 2017
Very inclusive environment
No micromanagement
The most enjoyable part was community interaction

My role included advising community, advising local community boards(politicians); facilitating workshops with other government and non government agencies. As community development officer, there was no limit to the work area. This had ESL teaching , interpreting, translating, networking and connecting cultures via celebrating Race Relations day type events with community and to the top of it there was a huge element of community empowerment no matter whether it is through ESL support or through funding advice.
Pros
Approachable seniors and managers
Cons
Weekend work
Server Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland30 September 2017
Some very good people, work culture is good but it has entered into outsourcing so job losses are coming thick and fast. The management looking to fix problem by reducing staff. The projects are mismanaged and so many projects was over spent and heaps over time. It is not safe at all to work for the council now unlike when the legacy council were operating.
Fun workplace
IS Service Desk Analyst/ Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland20 September 2017
Very organised and peaceful. people are nice and fun loving. They are helpful and cooperative. Permanent offers are very less but not impossible. had a good time working there.
Secure and reliable work.
CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland6 September 2017
I really enjoyed my time at the Auckland Regional Council. If i had not travelled, I may still be working there. I also enjoyed being part of the union. The benefits were great.
Pros
Reliable, and flexible with un-paid leave.
Cons
Night shifts and weekends.
Very productive, outgoing and family orientated work place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland17 August 2017
The first time I laid foot in West Wave I felt a family orientated sort of vibe. I loved working there and I had so much pride in the place that I would tell everyone that I work at West Wave athough I did have a few downfalls but in the end I enjoyed my time there. Managers, Team Leaders were all nice and friendly people, my fellow colleagues were all amazing people. Even though I was mainly the only male Receptionist there, they made me feel special in a way.
Pros
Pay was very good.
Good place to work - respectful
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD14 August 2017
Constant work challenges, good relationships, good support.
Poor performance management. Average salary.
I am happy here but am not getting the recognition I feel I deserve financially.