Auckland Council Employee Reviews

Test Consultant (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD NZ1 February 2019
Loved working here, the people were great, the role was interesting, challenging and satisfying. It was close to the shops! :-) If I wasn't relocating overseas, I could've stayed here.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Racist
Parks investigator (Former Employee) –  Three Kings, Auckland29 January 2019
Last boss was great although he swore a lot but his commitment to communicate with us was perfect great team , I enjoyed the outdoors working as an individual and as a team member
Pros
Free water
Excellent place to work
Digital Content Publisher (Former Employee) –  Auckland26 January 2019
Great place to work, makes me feel very welcome. Very clean work instruction, but the best is all the friendly colleagues always helps me out to comply with work standards, highly recommended!
My Colleagues
Contact Centre Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland, NZ25 January 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Auckland Council - the job itself was challenging (but what job isn't and who would not want to be challenged) because it was dealing with the greater Auckland. Yes! there were times when you wanted to cry, shout or curse because of the mean things people say to you over the phone but at the end of each call, my colleagues and especially my manager/team leader at the time was always there, supporting and encouraging the team to persevere.

Despite the changes and transitions that occurred in the 3 years I had worked there, they were always smooth and the management always notified us of any changes. Although there were some conflict between the senior staff and the newbies, the management still managed to cater to the needs of everyone.

Great bunch of people.
Pros
Professional and family life balance, pay package and benefits, Advancements into other areas of Auckland Council
Cons
Restructures always occurring, no Christmas party, just lunch
Nice place to work
Enterprise Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland21 January 2019
Provide enough time to work a your speed with flexible hours and without much tension. Provide support to grow professionally and academic areas. Workplace culture is very good
I have learned to do great time management by managing the allocate enforcing area.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland5 January 2019
I start the day with freshness and a good briefing in the morning. I have learned how to deal with difficult customers and how to use assertive approach to calm angry people down. I learned how to manage an area with full utilization of time. The work place culture is very strict and official as I worked for a local governing body. The hardest part of the job was to catch up with the 650 tickets quota when time is running out towards the end of the month. The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with my co-workers who comes from different culture group and to exchange the shift with them which make my job more flexible and suited to my lifestyle.
Pros
Free travel on buses when I was in uniform, get pay to get fit.
Cons
Loads of walking, sometimes foot developed foot corns.
Fantastic
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Auckland4 November 2018
Great place to work, nice colleagues, good work/life balance and good pay. There is a real culture of working hard and a fun work culture as well. Highly recommend
Productive organisation with worklife balance
Corporate Performance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand21 August 2018
Auckland Council is an amazing organisation to work for. There are lots of opportunities and room for growth and career development, support for further study and attending courses required to complete the job.
Pros
Worklife balance, flexible hours
Cons
Large organisation, sometime it is difficult to get things done
Horrible Inefficient
Management (Former Employee) –  Manukau, Auckland13 August 2018
This place sucks. Regularly work 70-80 hours a week. Once had to work 28 days straight without a day off. Chronically understaffed. Absent senior managers, pay low, have to deal with abusive public. Good riddance.
good money
Animal Management Officer (Former Employee) –  South Auckland29 July 2018
-worked to the bone everyday
-good perks
-good money
-not friendly "customers"
-no growth in the company
-very cliquey.
-nice truck
-work phone
-petrol card...
Records Administrator - Property Records (Current Employee) –  Waitakere, Auckland18 June 2018
A Typical day for myself as things have changed a lot is scanning of hard copy documents and preparing so that documents can be viewed electronically to the public, also ordering of stationery an coffee supply's and sending files offsite to our current storage provider
Pros
job security
Good people to work with
Emergency Management (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland15 May 2018
My role in Emergency Management was a very rewarding position held for a long period of time. I most enjoyed my role in supporting and assisting our communities during natural disaster events.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Travelling
Work hard when at work, relax with an exercise or visit friends.
Enforcement Officer/ Food Safety Officer. (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand18 April 2018
Arrive at work, enter last days time sheet recording, check all my emails, respond to it as required. Go onto the work Dashboard, select the job I need to do. Open them, save them and contact customer if required. Plan the route to take with importance in mind.

Around mid morning leave for inspections. Return when job done around mid afternoon. Update the inspection on council system. Check if their is any other important job to attend to. Otherwise wind down to go home.

Love playing pool
Pros
mix around well.
Cons
I can't sit down do nothing
Good employer
Change Manager - People and Capability (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland19 February 2018
Good employer with a range of opportunities. Lots of unique demands to deal with on daily basis allowing for opportunities to share key learnings. High demand environment.
Pros
Large organisation
Cons
High public scrutiny
Reasonable place to work, fulfilling projects
Policy Analyst; Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland15 February 2018
Auckland Council has similar problems to all large organisations, silos, issues with management, and so on. However, the satisfaction gained from working somewhere where your work impacts positively on others' lives stands public organisation work apart from other large employers.
A great place to work
Research (Current Employee) –  Auckland4 February 2018
A great place to work which allows an ideal balance between work and family life.

Many different career opportunities and potential to try new things in different areas of council.
IT department depressing place to work
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland10 January 2018
Workloads are overflowing and some bad managers regularly insult other staff and bully employees. Culture is very conservative. Feels like workplace from 50 years ago. Staff frequently made redundant and remaining coworkers expected to do their work. On the plus side, do get to work on some projects which benefit the Auckland community.
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
Staff treated with contempt
Terrible Management
Project management (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland8 January 2018
Less is more was the culture of the team. Less team members doing more work. Unfortunately a team of 7 could not do what a team of 15 was supposed to do. Years of struggle have come before and will be ahead for this team.

Other teams with in Auckland Council I had no trouble with.
Varied work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland7 January 2018
The work was varied but not suitable for myself. Through it I was able to learn alot about working in a professional environment. I was to also meet a variety of people.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auckland2 January 2018
People ,make the place a great place to work however the management not so great. Working in the contact centre everything is timed including toilet breaks
Cons
timed breaks etc