Auckland Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Auckland Council Employee Reviews

New Zealand116 reviews
great job not the best culture
the job culture is not the best, there's no good teamwork culture and a lack of support between co-workers, about security and salary the experience is better
Great working environment. Friendly and supportive work culture.
Amazing learning opportunities and a variety of tasks to keep one busy.

Flexible working to have an excellent work life balance.
Being in Auckland you usually have to commute at least an hour to get to job sites. I worked with many members of the general public. There was a friendly and relaxed work culture. Great to work in the outdoors.
The most rewarding part about my job is seeing the difference Auckland Council makes to the lives of Aucklanders. The people I work with are brilliant
All of the Org strategies, behaviours and Charter the ELT is trying to implement are all a sham since they themselves have no accountability and credibility.
Loved every minute working here. Was such a great place, the people are friendly and there are many opportunities to build a career in this company. Would highly recommend.
Excellent management team,
Great team, great benefits, the beat job without a doubt.

The hardest part of the job was getting in touch with building inspectors.
Workload is challenging, fast paced and high demanding, which is good for those who like to keep busy. You learn a whole new level of patience as this role is diverse and you are constantly dealing with very busy high demanding internal and external parties who need everything "yesterday".
Working at the Auckland City Council was a great experience and It has helped me gain experience to succeed in other jobs. I worked with a great staff and we have remained friends even today. I would go back if a great opportunity came available there.
Pros
Great staff members to work with.
Cons
Long hours but enjoyable.
Working there was good. Management was good and helped out where they could. The department I was a part of was a bit unorganized at times however I had a good experience overall
As a customer service team leader, I worked with an amazing team, every day was very cruisy as I had so much support from my team. management wasn't really supportive, i believe
Great place to contract. Lots of restructuring but still a good place for contractors. IS very supportive if you do your job well and very good place for work-life balance and working remotely when necessary.
Relationships / friendships are crucial here. Frequent restructures can cause stress and council fails to retain good staff. Public sector transparency can be challenging
depending on the season work loads do vary.
having the right people in your team made work more enjoyable.

Being the driver of the rubbish truck was a lot to take on but knowing that i was responsible to clear the rubbish and also the safety of the public and my runner was a job i took seriously.
Every day you go to work backed up by Council to do your best for the community. Varied work day as working with the public, but it was generally in a very positive way.

Council management works with the PSA and supports staff to participate fully in their duties as a delegate.

The living wage means that even part time roles are sustainable for a lot of people.
Pros
Living wage, high union participation
Cons
Small teams can feel isolated among the rest of council.
I went to Auckland council for the no drugs policy only to find that everybody is on drugs. Management will do anything to keep that quiet.

Also, you get paid peanuts.

Stay off the drugs for three days. Then do the TDDA test and if you get in, you'll have a jobs with druggies and alcoholics and people with convictions.
Pros
Promotions for the druggies
Cons
shortage of drugs makes life difficult
Great for working parents due to flexibility. Unfortunately due to the political nature of the organisation I endured several restructures and this caused a lot of stress for both me and my colleagues.

As expected, the nature of the bureaucratic organisation is extremely slow, inefficient and does not adopt innovation easily.
Open space concept of working with full working flexibility for young families! Located right on the train station door step! Happy to have been a part of such a great work culture!
My experience at Auckland council gave me a taste of working life and helped me to become more confident in the area of communicating with other staff and the customers. Auckland council really helped me to come forward and step up to task that I wasn't comfortable with at first going through with but in the end it really helped me to understand how crucial confidence is in this line of work.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Becomes stale if standing in the same location
Auckland Council was a great company to work for and I made great friends that I will remain in touch with. I would recommend this company to anybody.
Loved working here, the people were great, the role was interesting, challenging and satisfying. It was close to the shops! :-) If I wasn't relocating overseas, I could've stayed here.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing