Auckland Council Employee Reviews

My Colleagues
Contact Centre Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland, NZ25 January 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Auckland Council - the job itself was challenging (but what job isn't and who would not want to be challenged) because it was dealing with the greater Auckland. Yes! there were times when you wanted to cry, shout or curse because of the mean things people say to you over the phone but at the end of each call, my colleagues and especially my manager/team leader at the time was always there, supporting and encouraging the team to persevere.

Despite the changes and transitions that occurred in the 3 years I had worked there, they were always smooth and the management always notified us of any changes. Although there were some conflict between the senior staff and the newbies, the management still managed to cater to the needs of everyone.

Great bunch of people.
Pros
Professional and family life balance, pay package and benefits, Advancements into other areas of Auckland Council
Cons
Restructures always occurring, no Christmas party, just lunch
I have learned to do great time management by managing the allocate enforcing area.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland5 January 2019
I start the day with freshness and a good briefing in the morning. I have learned how to deal with difficult customers and how to use assertive approach to calm angry people down. I learned how to manage an area with full utilization of time. The work place culture is very strict and official as I worked for a local governing body. The hardest part of the job was to catch up with the 650 tickets quota when time is running out towards the end of the month. The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with my co-workers who comes from different culture group and to exchange the shift with them which make my job more flexible and suited to my lifestyle.
Pros
Free travel on buses when I was in uniform, get pay to get fit.
Cons
Loads of walking, sometimes foot developed foot corns.
Fantastic
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Auckland4 November 2018
Great place to work, nice colleagues, good work/life balance and good pay. There is a real culture of working hard and a fun work culture as well. Highly recommend
Nice place to work
Enterprise Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland21 January 2019
Provide enough time to work a your speed with flexible hours and without much tension. Provide support to grow professionally and academic areas. Workplace culture is very good
Productive organisation with worklife balance
Corporate Performance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand21 August 2018
Auckland Council is an amazing organisation to work for. There are lots of opportunities and room for growth and career development, support for further study and attending courses required to complete the job.
Pros
Worklife balance, flexible hours
Cons
Large organisation, sometime it is difficult to get things done
Records Administrator - Property Records (Current Employee) –  Waitakere, Auckland18 June 2018
A Typical day for myself as things have changed a lot is scanning of hard copy documents and preparing so that documents can be viewed electronically to the public, also ordering of stationery an coffee supply's and sending files offsite to our current storage provider
Pros
job security
Racist
Parks investigator (Former Employee) –  Three Kings, Auckland29 January 2019
Last boss was great although he swore a lot but his commitment to communicate with us was perfect great team , I enjoyed the outdoors working as an individual and as a team member
Pros
Free water
Excellent place to work
Digital Content Publisher (Former Employee) –  Auckland26 January 2019
Great place to work, makes me feel very welcome. Very clean work instruction, but the best is all the friendly colleagues always helps me out to comply with work standards, highly recommended!
Great work[place
Specialist Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Zealand5 October 2017
Very inclusive environment
No micromanagement
The most enjoyable part was community interaction

My role included advising community, advising local community boards(politicians); facilitating workshops with other government and non government agencies. As community development officer, there was no limit to the work area. This had ESL teaching , interpreting, translating, networking and connecting cultures via celebrating Race Relations day type events with community and to the top of it there was a huge element of community empowerment no matter whether it is through ESL support or through funding advice.
Pros
Approachable seniors and managers
Cons
Weekend work
Good people to work with
Emergency Management (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland15 May 2018
My role in Emergency Management was a very rewarding position held for a long period of time. I most enjoyed my role in supporting and assisting our communities during natural disaster events.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Travelling

Want to know more about Auckland Council?

Ask a question
Horrible Inefficient
Management (Former Employee) –  Manukau, Auckland13 August 2018
This place sucks. Regularly work 70-80 hours a week. Once had to work 28 days straight without a day off. Chronically understaffed. Absent senior managers, pay low, have to deal with abusive public. Good riddance.
Cons
Work hard when at work, relax with an exercise or visit friends.
Enforcement Officer/ Food Safety Officer. (Current Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand18 April 2018
Arrive at work, enter last days time sheet recording, check all my emails, respond to it as required. Go onto the work Dashboard, select the job I need to do. Open them, save them and contact customer if required. Plan the route to take with importance in mind.

Around mid morning leave for inspections. Return when job done around mid afternoon. Update the inspection on council system. Check if their is any other important job to attend to. Otherwise wind down to go home.

Love playing pool
Pros
mix around well.
Cons
I can't sit down do nothing
IT department depressing place to work
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland10 January 2018
Workloads are overflowing and some bad managers regularly insult other staff and bully employees. Culture is very conservative. Feels like workplace from 50 years ago. Staff frequently made redundant and remaining coworkers expected to do their work. On the plus side, do get to work on some projects which benefit the Auckland community.
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
Staff treated with contempt
the work place always had a positive vibe and everyone was friendly, caring and helpful
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland6 November 2016
i would get to work reasonably early and everyone would greet me. i would get to work straight away and stay focused until one of my work mates would come and get me to go and get lunch. we would sit int he staff room for about 15 minutes then get back to work. everything was done on time and with a high standard. when i dint understand how to do something my co-workers were very keen to get up and help me. the hardest part about my job was trying to get up at 5am every morning but at the same time it was good because it make me realise that time management is important. the most enjoyable thing about working for the auckland city council was that i felt like going there was my second home and i just loved the feeling of going to work every day.
Pros
good experiences and getting to meet new people
Cons
long hours which lead onto me feeling very lethargic
Server Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland30 September 2017
Some very good people, work culture is good but it has entered into outsourcing so job losses are coming thick and fast. The management looking to fix problem by reducing staff. The projects are mismanaged and so many projects was over spent and heaps over time. It is not safe at all to work for the council now unlike when the legacy council were operating.
Busy and productive
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orewa, Auckland29 January 2017
A typical day involves dealing with people from all walks of life and assisting with everything from book selection to writing CVs.
It is increasingly obvious that usage of e resources is becoming more wide spread and, although I can't imagine the demise of the physical book, digital reading seems to be the way of the future.
Good management and team work are vital to this and every other work place. Excellent and or inadequate performance needs to be acknowledged and dealt with accordingly.
The most difficult part of this job can be dealing with those customers who come into the Library solely to use the public computers. They often expect staff to go beyond the call of duty when helping them with personal and obscure issues.
Interaction with the public and providing them with friendly and helpful service is the most enjoyable part of this job along, of course, with being surrounded by so many wonderful books!
Pros
Access to all manner of books and multi media
Cons
Long hours and low wages
A great place to work
Research (Current Employee) –  Auckland4 February 2018
A great place to work which allows an ideal balance between work and family life.

Many different career opportunities and potential to try new things in different areas of council.
Auckland Council as an employer
Inwards Payments Clerk (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N11 March 2014
The people and the work environment was varied and interesting.
Presently the Council is going through major changes to become the Super City for the Auckland Region.

The continual changes will continue to happen for a few years to come which can be quite unsettling so I decided it was time to change my career path. The management were very understanding and supportive of my decision and helped me, where possible, to decide what I would like to do when I left the Council (after nearly thirty years).
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Continual changes at present can be unsettling.
Terrible Management
Project management (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland8 January 2018
Less is more was the culture of the team. Less team members doing more work. Unfortunately a team of 7 could not do what a team of 15 was supposed to do. Years of struggle have come before and will be ahead for this team.

Other teams with in Auckland Council I had no trouble with.
Good place to work - respectful
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD14 August 2017
Constant work challenges, good relationships, good support.
Poor performance management. Average salary.
I am happy here but am not getting the recognition I feel I deserve financially.