Auckland Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Auckland Council Employee Reviews in Auckland City, Auckland

Auckland City, Auckland73 reviews
great job not the best culture
the job culture is not the best, there's no good teamwork culture and a lack of support between co-workers, about security and salary the experience is better
Great working environment. Friendly and supportive work culture.
Amazing learning opportunities and a variety of tasks to keep one busy.

Flexible working to have an excellent work life balance.
The most rewarding part about my job is seeing the difference Auckland Council makes to the lives of Aucklanders. The people I work with are brilliant
All of the Org strategies, behaviours and Charter the ELT is trying to implement are all a sham since they themselves have no accountability and credibility.
Relationships / friendships are crucial here. Frequent restructures can cause stress and council fails to retain good staff. Public sector transparency can be challenging
I went to Auckland council for the no drugs policy only to find that everybody is on drugs. Management will do anything to keep that quiet.

Also, you get paid peanuts.

Stay off the drugs for three days. Then do the TDDA test and if you get in, you'll have a jobs with druggies and alcoholics and people with convictions.
Pros
Promotions for the druggies
Cons
shortage of drugs makes life difficult
Great for working parents due to flexibility. Unfortunately due to the political nature of the organisation I endured several restructures and this caused a lot of stress for both me and my colleagues.

As expected, the nature of the bureaucratic organisation is extremely slow, inefficient and does not adopt innovation easily.
Auckland Council was a great company to work for and I made great friends that I will remain in touch with. I would recommend this company to anybody.
Great place to work, makes me feel very welcome. Very clean work instruction, but the best is all the friendly colleagues always helps me out to comply with work standards, highly recommended!
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Auckland Council - the job itself was challenging (but what job isn't and who would not want to be challenged) because it was dealing with the greater Auckland. Yes! there were times when you wanted to cry, shout or curse because of the mean things people say to you over the phone but at the end of each call, my colleagues and especially my manager/team leader at the time was always there, supporting and encouraging the team to persevere.

Despite the changes and transitions that occurred in the 3 years I had worked there, they were always smooth and the management always notified us of any changes. Although there were some conflict between the senior staff and the newbies, the management still managed to cater to the needs of everyone.

Great bunch of people.
Pros
Professional and family life balance, pay package and benefits, Advancements into other areas of Auckland Council
Cons
Restructures always occurring, no Christmas party, just lunch
Provide enough time to work a your speed with flexible hours and without much tension. Provide support to grow professionally and academic areas. Workplace culture is very good
I start the day with freshness and a good briefing in the morning. I have learned how to deal with difficult customers and how to use assertive approach to calm angry people down. I learned how to manage an area with full utilization of time. The work place culture is very strict and official as I worked for a local governing body. The hardest part of the job was to catch up with the 650 tickets quota when time is running out towards the end of the month. The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with my co-workers who comes from different culture group and to exchange the shift with them which make my job more flexible and suited to my lifestyle.
Pros
Free travel on buses when I was in uniform, get pay to get fit.
Cons
Loads of walking, sometimes foot developed foot corns.
Great place to work, nice colleagues, good work/life balance and good pay. There is a real culture of working hard and a fun work culture as well. Highly recommend
Auckland Council is an amazing organisation to work for. There are lots of opportunities and room for growth and career development, support for further study and attending courses required to complete the job.
Pros
Worklife balance, flexible hours
Cons
Large organisation, sometime it is difficult to get things done
My role in Emergency Management was a very rewarding position held for a long period of time. I most enjoyed my role in supporting and assisting our communities during natural disaster events.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Travelling
Arrive at work, enter last days time sheet recording, check all my emails, respond to it as required. Go onto the work Dashboard, select the job I need to do. Open them, save them and contact customer if required. Plan the route to take with importance in mind.

Around mid morning leave for inspections. Return when job done around mid afternoon. Update the inspection on council system. Check if their is any other important job to attend to. Otherwise wind down to go home.

Love playing pool
Pros
mix around well.
Cons
I can't sit down do nothing
Good employer with a range of opportunities. Lots of unique demands to deal with on daily basis allowing for opportunities to share key learnings. High demand environment.
Pros
Large organisation
Cons
High public scrutiny
Auckland Council has similar problems to all large organisations, silos, issues with management, and so on. However, the satisfaction gained from working somewhere where your work impacts positively on others' lives stands public organisation work apart from other large employers.
A great place to work which allows an ideal balance between work and family life.

Many different career opportunities and potential to try new things in different areas of council.
The work was varied but not suitable for myself. Through it I was able to learn alot about working in a professional environment. I was to also meet a variety of people.
People ,make the place a great place to work however the management not so great. Working in the contact centre everything is timed including toilet breaks
Cons
timed breaks etc