Auckland Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Auckland Council Management reviews

New Zealand111 reviews
Excellent Work Place
Excellent management team,
Great team, great benefits, the beat job without a doubt.
The hardest part of the job was getting in touch with building inspectors.
Kind environment
Working there was good. Management was good and helped out where they could. The department I was a part of was a bit unorganized at times however I had a good experience overall
Work Place
As a customer service team leader, I worked with an amazing team, every day was very cruisy as I had so much support from my team. management wasn't really supportive, i believe
Good work life balance
Relationships / friendships are crucial here. Frequent restructures can cause stress and council fails to retain good staff. Public sector transparency can be challenging
Community Focused and Passionate
Every day you go to work backed up by Council to do your best for the community. Varied work day as working with the public, but it was generally in a very positive way.

Council management works with the PSA and supports staff to participate fully in their duties as a delegate.

The living wage means that even part time roles are sustainable for a lot of people.
Pros
Living wage, high union participation
Cons
Small teams can feel isolated among the rest of council.
Druggies welcome
I went to Auckland council for the no drugs policy only to find that everybody is on drugs. Management will do anything to keep that quiet.

Also, you get paid peanuts.

Stay off the drugs for three days. Then do the TDDA test and if you get in, you'll have a jobs with druggies and alcoholics and people with convictions.
Pros
Promotions for the druggies
Cons
shortage of drugs makes life difficult
My Colleagues
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Auckland Council - the job itself was challenging (but what job isn't and who would not want to be challenged) because it was dealing with the greater Auckland. Yes! there were times when you wanted to cry, shout or curse because of the mean things people say to you over the phone but at the end of each call, my colleagues and especially my manager/team leader at the time was always there, supporting and encouraging the team to persevere.

Despite the changes and transitions that occurred in the 3 years I had worked there, they were always smooth and the management always notified us of any changes. Although there were some conflict between the senior staff and the newbies, the management still managed to cater to the needs of everyone.

Great bunch of people.
Pros
Professional and family life balance, pay package and benefits, Advancements into other areas of Auckland Council
Cons
Restructures always occurring, no Christmas party, just lunch
Horrible Inefficient
This place sucks. Regularly work 70-80 hours a week. Once had to work 28 days straight without a day off. Chronically understaffed. Absent senior managers, pay low, have to deal with abusive public. Good riddance.
Cons
Good people to work with
My role in Emergency Management was a very rewarding position held for a long period of time. I most enjoyed my role in supporting and assisting our communities during natural disaster events.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Travelling
IT department depressing place to work
Workloads are overflowing and some bad managers regularly insult other staff and bully employees. Culture is very conservative. Feels like workplace from 50 years ago. Staff frequently made redundant and remaining coworkers expected to do their work. On the plus side, do get to work on some projects which benefit the Auckland community.
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
Staff treated with contempt
Fun workplace
People ,make the place a great place to work however the management not so great. Working in the contact centre everything is timed including toilet breaks
Cons
timed breaks etc
Poor Management
Enjoyed the job in the beginning, not so much towards the end due to management issues. I worked alongside good people, but the management team were poor
Pros
Use of gym, team members
Great work[place
Very inclusive environment
No micromanagement

The most enjoyable part was community interaction

My role included advising community, advising local community boards(politicians); facilitating workshops with other government and non government agencies. As community development officer, there was no limit to the work area. This had ESL teaching , interpreting, translating, networking and connecting cultures via celebrating Race Relations day type events with community and to the top of it there was a huge element of community empowerment no matter whether it is through ESL support or through funding advice.
Pros
Approachable seniors and managers
Cons
Weekend work
Some very good people, work culture is good but it has entered into outsourcing so job losses are coming thick and fast. The management looking to fix problem by reducing staff. The projects are mismanaged and so many projects was over spent and heaps over time. It is not safe at all to work for the council now unlike when the legacy council were operating.
Good place to work - respectful
Constant work challenges, good relationships, good support.
Poor performance management. Average salary.
I am happy here but am not getting the recognition I feel I deserve financially.
Productive and fun colleagues to work with
Colleagues were fun to work with. Very warm welcoming team. Work was easy to do once you knew the systems. Management was ok. Overall was really happy with my job.
I learn't the systems of SAP, Hansen, PeopleSoft and Pathway. from a day to day basic I completed Notices of Sale's where changes of ownerships for houses were done and also full time data cleansing for the NAR Team.
Pros
Auckland Council Perks: Free Coffee at Coffee Club (buy 1 + Free)
Cons
Management was slack
Fun, great supportive management
Joined this company,when i do not have any other opportunity and also nobody else gave any opportunity. Excellent supportive management give consideration to your personal values along with your work and gives a way to succeed.
Pros
Easy work / Fun
Cons
need to start work very early morning
excellllent workplace and team management
, management is good and supportive
good team to work with
supportive and organised

Good amount of customer service and also delivering technical solutions to problems
Busy and productive
A typical day involves dealing with people from all walks of life and assisting with everything from book selection to writing CVs.
It is increasingly obvious that usage of e resources is becoming more wide spread and, although I can't imagine the demise of the physical book, digital reading seems to be the way of the future.

Good management and team work are vital to this and every other work place. Excellent and or inadequate performance needs to be acknowledged and dealt with accordingly.
The most difficult part of this job can be dealing with those customers who come into the Library solely to use the public computers. They often expect staff to go beyond the call of duty when helping them with personal and obscure issues.

Interaction with the public and providing them with friendly and helpful service is the most enjoyable part of this job along, of course, with being surrounded by so many wonderful books!
Pros
Access to all manner of books and multi media
Cons
Long hours and low wages
Good old Council
Working for a Council that has leadership that resides locally and therefore understands its issues and direction to a better future.
Fun workplace, Professional and Good working environment
- A very supportive management team
- Daily task is processing dog registration payments and data entry
- Analyzing and solving rates payment

- Great and supportive co-workers

- Weekly update meetings improves the work environment which resulted to good results and solutions. It gained confidence to each and everyone in the team
Pros
Free Coffee, Juice and Milk. Weekly Team Meeting and Friday Team Building