Auckland Council

Auckland Council Employee Reviews

Interesting varied role
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand28 February 2015
Starting my role processing high volumes of data entry made use of my eye for detail. Management then asked me to perform other tasks such as data cleansing, building Excel spreadsheets for stats and contacting customers to inform them on their applications. I found this role very rewarding and when the 3 month contract had ended I was offered a role with the council on a permanent basis while my visa lasted in New Zealand. Management were very encouraging with me by giving me more responsibility and I would have very much liked to stay for longer.
Pros
Responsibility, Wage, Good work atmosphere
Cons
No New Zealand sponsorship opportunities
A great place to work with commited people
Auckland Council Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland city25 February 2015
A very busy area, being Environmental Services. I was the PA to the manager and to the total unit. No day was ever the same, and one had to be flexible, consistent and reliable. Always with a smile. I learnt the role quickly and made friends even more quickly,
Pros
A flexible day if required
Cons
No room for advancement
community trust and people friendly
Recreation programmer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N15 February 2015
Incredible team to work with, management was always on top of our work making sure we meet targets. best thing was enjoying the company of our afterschool care meeting new kids, new cultures. overall best team iv ever been apart of . hardest thing is to get people who have been there for more years than others to use their initiative and do things without being told.
Local Government
Manager, Business Development and Support (Former Employee) –  Auckland27 January 2015
The Auckland Council model of local government helps meet both regional and local needs, and gives Auckland the resources it needs to grow and develop.
Auckland Council has two complementary decision-making parts, the governing body and local boards.
The governing body and the local boards are autonomous and make decisions as Auckland Council within their respective areas of responsibility.
Although they make different types of decisions, it is critical that there is an effective working relationship between the governing body and the local boards.
Productive and fun place to work
SAP BI BO Delivery Lead (Former Employee) –  Auckland21 October 2014
Good cultural environment with full of professional vibrations around.

Technologically ahead in game which puts us in competitive to stand and learn
No opinion
Independent Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N10 September 2014
As an independent contractor in Auckland Council, I have no opinion
Fine for short term work
Waterfront Auckland Development Agency (Former Employee) –  Auckland1 September 2014
My job with Waterfront Auckland was within the purchasing department to ensure invoices were paid on time and to help manage the budget for various projects. I accepted the job with Waterfront Auckland as at that point in time I needed work and was open minded to what it was - I had never worked within an accounts payable team before. The work itself was relatively straight forward and I was kept busy however it wasn't challenging enough for me. It was a 4 month fixed term contract which ran to conclusion.
Pros
Nice atmosphere, kept busy
Cons
repetitive, easy
My current position in Council is Good.
NAR Analyst (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N24 August 2014
I love my job - it's very satisfying knowing that we make people's lives a little less hectic and stressfull when we have helped them with their queries and updated their details both within the Name and Address Register and property database.
I love the team I work with - we are all very supportive of each other and we manage to maintain very good friendships within out team.
It gets very frustrating when a team leader or manager treats people differently within a team - I don't like favouritism or work team pets - I am a staunch believer that everyone should be treated the same. The hardest part of the job is being dependent on modern technology - it a server goes down there is absolutely nothing we can do and none of our tasks can be done - it's frustrating.
The best part of the job is customer satisfaction both internal and external - Customer Service skills are hugely important so we can ensure everyone has what they need and we can give them what they require in a quick and efficient manner.
Pros
Helping the public
Cons
The New Management
Challenging work environment
Planner (Current Employee) –  Auckland Council12 August 2014
Interesting work depending what department you work in, be aware you will be going into an environment of constant structural change with many departments suffering from very low morale.
Pros
Relatively good salary
Cons
Constaint change and restructuring, poor management and leadership
Enjoyable
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland2 July 2014
Being here had certain times where it would be busy all at once. The busiest crowd would usually be early mornings and evening times. t had advantages working here as this is my very first job where I first entered the work force. My cash handling skills and customer service skills were perfected from here. I worked with amazing people my managers and colleagues are such a wonderful bunch of people.
Pros
Free end of year work dinner
Cons
Not as busy as I would have liked it to be
A great place to work
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Auckland16 April 2014
A great work-life balance in a team handling complex joint land use and subdivision resource consent applications.
Fun work place, team was very supportive and helpful.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Auckland,8 April 2014
I enjoyed my time at Auckland Council, I was hired as temp because of the time the new rates strike. So the calls I took from a day to day basis was just rate calls. A typical day at Auckland Council I would answer customers queries, update accounts. My co workers were very supportive when I couldn't find something on the database, they would show me where to go or explain something I didn't understand. The hardest part of the job was learning about the new layout of the rates bill and putting it into context as there was a 10% rise on most rates. The most enjoyable part was helping customers get the information they needed, and working in a great team.
Pros
Working Mon-Fri, Manager would give the department baked goods from home
Cons
No Cons
Productive and effective work place
Process Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  Auckland6 April 2014
It is a great company to work for as everyone is a pleasure to work with and work life balance is considered a very important value.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
It's The Council
Diverse and challenging workplace
Project Design Manager, CMS (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N27 March 2014
Been difficult and a challenge working across AC Stormwater Infrastructure & Environmental Services and Auckland Transport with the numerous (seven) local authorities having brought their own " best practices".
Dealing with different things daily
Weighbridge Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N12 March 2014
checking we balanced daily
Sending daily reports to those concerned
Auckland Council as an employer
Inwards Payments Clerk (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N11 March 2014
The people and the work environment was varied and interesting.
Presently the Council is going through major changes to become the Super City for the Auckland Region.

The continual changes will continue to happen for a few years to come which can be quite unsettling so I decided it was time to change my career path. The management were very understanding and supportive of my decision and helped me, where possible, to decide what I would like to do when I left the Council (after nearly thirty years).
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Continual changes at present can be unsettling.
Productive/relaxed environment
Financial Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD3 March 2014
-Easy/fun place to work.
- Learned a lot about financial modelling, the business structure and various projects.
- Reported progress to management on a regular basis.
- Friendly, very supportive and encouraging.
- Understanding the complex business models.
- Working with the people in my team and getting to know them. Working on challenging projects.
New organisation
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Auckland24 February 2014
A newly amalgamated organisation with hundreds of different legacy systems in use. Reporting was initially challenging and a big learning curve caused by data and information not directly accessible and main reporting system not fully capable. Improvements on systems and processes were gradually implemented to overcome these obstacles.
Pros
Achieved excellent skills in different systems
Cons
Lack of skilled resources
challenging and sometimes fun
Greenkeeper (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N8 December 2013
The best part of this job is meeting and talking to people from all areas of life on the golf course.
I have been able to work here most of my life.
I have learnt many skills [on-going]
You can stay busy all day, there is so much variety.
It can be hard when its very busy, you deal with people who can be stressed in their game and you might be their target. But you have to manage how to work around them without disturbing them too much.
Pros
Good variety of work
Cons
Can be very busy at times, you need to watch youback [and your head]
Not All Council Departments are the Same
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N18 November 2013
While there is a great culture in the council, some departments have a distinct lack of leadership and direction. If your proactive person who likes to stop problems before they start, you might be frustrated. Pay is under the market value for skilled workers in the Business Analyst field, at about the lowest 20% of the market.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Lack of Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Auckland Council. Our community is ready to answer.