Auckland University of Technology
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Auckland University of Technology Employee Reviews

A very happy rewarding experience in 2008.Collaborative colleagues and student colleagues took studying very seriously between 2003 and 2008when I was at AUT,
Pros
Many.
Cons
None.
Auckland University of Technology has a friendly and well-balanced and respected team culture among international business employees, which is a well-mixed culture.
As I came in on temp contract was only supposed to work for the summer, they ended up keeping me on for another year, all staff I worked with were great however certain management was poor.
A great bunch of people, no real pressure and lots of good benefits.
There are really busy periods of work and then really slow periods. Happy to recommend.
good experience working here it was okay worked for a little while but i need to be paid more so give me more money when i work for this company please
Teaching is high quality, but staff are overworked. Not much work/life balance is expected. Some great pockets of valuable research and researchers. Generally, a good place to work.
The working culture in AUT was very well managed and secure. The team leader and manager were very supportive and creative. came across many difficulties during work both was well prepared to managed it.
It's a good place to work with a good life/work balance.
Got opportunities for professional development. But not fairly recognizing the efforts of contract staff. Govt. rules say that if you have been working on a contract basis for two years you should be offered a permanent position. But usually, managers play all the games by moving you in and out from a fixed-term to causal basis and no one is looking over this. This caused a lot of frustration and feeling of insecurity to the contract employees
I found this to be a collaborative, supportive, and relaxed environment to work in. I was surrounded by smart capable people which I found stimulating. The largest downside was administrative overheads that come with being a large university.
A usual day involves taking calls from multiple sources phone, email, new jobs in the job logging system and internal chat. The team life varies from constant to fast.
Extremely busy and work focused staff members. However, everyone is always open for a moment to share a joke and collaborate ideas. Respectful environment with diversity.
2 September 2019
Many thanks for your feedback and insights, much appreciated
Aut is a fun and exciting place to study and volunteer for, you get the freedom to really explore you capabilities and learn experiences that help in the read world. event planning was highly fun working in team enviroment.
2 September 2019
Many thanks for the comments, great to see you had the freedom mentioned to make the most of your role here!
Great people to work for, lots of opportunity to progress and study too.
I learned different systems and tech to apply to my role.

Seconded to Board of Studies as admi istrator
Pros
Free study
Cons
Training team overworked
2 September 2019
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Great to hear you've been able to upskill during your time at AUT!
A typical day at work is creating a safe work environment and culture through wearing the correct uniform clothing such as correct hard hat, colour of uniform, right foot wear and advance planning and conducting security and safety checks before during and after bulding,dismantling or altering scafolder in commercial sites and residential sites with coo or workers and sypervisors.
I learn to look out for each other while working. Good leadership is key to management of human resource, material,environment and money. I Also learned that our workplace culture is safety and security for one another in short a love one another culture suits the nature and strategic intent of our work. The hardest part of the job is when we are tied to a post and we risk our life heads down hanging and screwing scafolder at high levels legs up and heads down hanging to a post. The most enjoyable time of the job is when all is completed well before time and we still paid full pay and knock off early. We are paid based on completion of a scafold build,errect or alter at a time agreed builders. As a team we are always making a difference. Compliance to safety and security regulation is part of our culture and is a must with high risk jobs like scafolding.
Pros
We get high pay, free accomodation, free lunch, dinner
Cons
Unpaid Lunch and Low Pay rate Long hours and Paying our own tax and super as contractors
Good working environment to gain ICT experience.
Able to work in a team environment.

Flexible in working in any environment.

Team player.

My Role involves assisting AUT staff and students with ICT queries regarding their accounts in person or over the phone, printer maintenance, and making sure the computer labs are operating smoothly every shift.
Pros
Management supportive
3 April 2019
Many thanks for the feedback, great to hear you're enjoying your role in ICT!
It was a highly academic job and had a lot to learn, Since i was fresh out of University, I thoroughly enjoyed the job to begin with but soon got over as it was a fixed-term job.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Fixed term job
19 November 2018
Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed the experience with us.

Keep an eye on the Careers site (https://www.aut.ac.nz/about/careers-at-aut) and ensure you're registered for job alerts for permanent opportunities as they are advertised, which may be of interest in the future.
A fun place work to in with great colleagues. great work place culture and was a joy to work in. There was no pressure from the management and you were at liberty to come up with creative ideas to engage the students.
Pros
no pressure
Cons
nothing
19 November 2018
Many thanks for the positive feedback - and fantastic to hear you embraced the flexibility available to create and come up with new ideas for student engagement.
A typical day is when I deal with less English speaking person with an angry attitude, I need a lot of patience and communication according to the client like writing down needs instead of talking. The workplace has a flexible management in further helping to search for a language connect person who speaks the same language. It helps lessen the time and serve the client within the time frame.
The enjoyable time at work is that I can interact often with a range of diverse people and learn about different cultures and different language every day
Pros
Free coffee and tea and socialize environment or getting to know who you work with
11 November 2018
Many thanks for the feedback. Pleased to hear you've seen first hand the positive way in which AUT engages and embraces diversity as an organisation, we appreciate your positive contributions to the University!
It was a great experience working there.
The best part about working there was the fact that i got to meet with students and other departments, helping me realize that the work i did was actually meaningful as i got the feedback from the end users.
11 November 2018
Thanks for the great feedback. Fantastic to hear you've enjoyed the student engagement and were able to get an understanding of the real impact your work made on end users.
AUT has a good culture and good management as well, it is flexible with international staff and they're always there to help you and follow up any inquiry
30 September 2018
Thanks for the positive feedback, great you're enjoying your experience here.
I was on a contract and it was a very stressful workplace: cutthroat, lack of training and professional development, lack of inclusion, poor management.
11 September 2018
Thank you for your feedback. This is not the experience we would want any of our staff at AUT to experience. One of our key themes is that AUT is a great place to work and study, and we have many initiatives in place to support this. We hope you raised your concerns with your line manager or your relevant HR representative during your time with us, but if not then we’d welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with us so that we can make improvements.