Bank of New Zealand
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bank of New Zealand Employee Reviews

New Zealand36 reviews
We had a lot of meetings and tasks that took us away from our job, but still expected to meet daily targets, overtime not always approved to get work done. They started allowing work from home but not suited to all people and if targets not met then required to work back at office, I was fortunate that my productivity increased with no in office distractions so only had to go into office once a month, meetings were done via video link. I enjoyed my time at BNZ and would return if offered the opportunity, I always worked in the back office, the jobs were routine, but good variety tho we didn't have sale targets we did have KPI's and productivity & core tasks to meet daily...enjoyed the fruit baskets, chocolate & hot cross buns at Easter and of course bonus at Christmas if met performance review criteria....
The work s a senior project manager in the cards and payments area is always challenging and ever changing. At moments stressful and, as in any dynamic environment, can be frustrating. But if you are up for the challenges and are able to cope with the dynamics of managing complex projects then it's a great place to work.
Productive, Fun, and Fast space workplace. Great company culture. Family like feel. Great co-workers. It can be stressful sometimes (Depending on the calls you get) but there are health and safety actions in place to help with that.
Sorry but in 2020 you are asking for a review that happened in 1986, I think this may be a bit redundant So in 1986 they were a typical kiwi employer for the then time, sub par by todays standards in so many ways.
The BNZ values its staff and has a ver supportive culture. This job had its challenges, specifically in having hard conversations with those in financial stress. However, the most enjoyable part was being able to support the clients through this by finding solutions that best suited their needs and applying a prudent level of risk on behalf of the bank.
Needs a shift in culture, especially in regards to how risk is viewed...some great people in the team and alot of opportunity to learn, but lack of time and organisation for individuals to thrive.
It's a great bank with great morals, but the management is so poor and the room to make error is incredibly large. I wouldn't work there again at all.
Amazing and incredible place to pursue your career. Staff benefit is incredibly amazing compared to the rest of the banks in New Zealand.very professional organisation and head of departments will always value your contribution towards the company. Bnz has a great diversity of culture and everyone is so helpful.
Good culture albeit usual issues of change of executive that lead to uncertainty for staff in career direction, support for projects in flight or in the pipeline.
Flexible work hours, lots of interesting technologies to work with, great colleagues and understanding leadership. Unfortunately security is often not given the importance it requires.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bank of New Zealand?
Day at work is spent managing customers wanting loans to purchase houses or other financial needs such as renovations or car/boat purchases.

Management advises us to recommend solutions that best fit the customers needs, but still follow up with you if your sales drop.

The culture tries to be there, but often you are too busy with your work to participate during business hours.

Hardest part emotionally is telling people no for loans who are going through hard times, such as stricken with cancer or had a partner die. Hardest part physically is making sure that every deal meets regulations and the customer is not lying and you arnt losing the bank money. If you lose the Bank money, you are fired.

Helping customers into their first ever house is always the best part of the role and having excited conversations with them about it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
One error can cost you your job
BNZ was a a great place to work with lovely people and great opporunities. I would recommend any of my friends to work there and gain much experience.
Great flexible working arrangements, majority of the legal team work on a part time basis and it works well. A lot of talented team members but often lacking support from leadership.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Lack of culture or encouragement to advance
Pros: wonderful people who help and care, easy to work remotely, agile project management
Cons: open office with no assigned desks; really noisy at times
You are learning something new everyday to be up to date with the constant changes that comes with banking and technology. Therefore, upskilling is a huge component in the job.
generally a great place to work, however the targets and sales goals seem at times to be totally out of reach.

Over time I found the senior management seemed a bit out of touch with front line staff.
Pros
fantastic staff
Cons
stress over targets
Good to learn comprehensive knowledge about business. Pay fee for professional study, however, the management team is not that strong in some department, personal development counts on yourself more than you team leader.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Unstable business structure
The business unit (Digital) I worked in was a great place to work and I'd highly recommended it. There are many skilled and passionate people who actually care about they they do and are who amazing to work with.
It is a bit difficult to advance within BNZ unless you are prepared to stay for a long time and often get hired because they have been there the longest not the best fit. Managers tend to stay in their roles for years and it is easy to hit a ceiling.
Great company to work for. Very employee satisfaction oriented. Offers employee enrichment options. Ensures workers are well rested and not mentally drained,
Bank of New zealand has been a very great place to work,it have given me an opportunity to learn a lot about banking system and a great exposure towards conversations guidelines and financial sales.It was an environment involving work with fun.
Pros
Free week end nights mainly friday nights.
Cons
Nothing to mention.
Its a good company to work with. they give you lot of flexibility options to work like work from home but not everyone is lucky though. they have good number of sick leaves etc, and good working culture
Pros
flexible in hours, free food and drinks every fridays
Cons
bad management practices in some departments