Burger King
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Burger King Employee Reviews for Crew Member

Crew Member72 reviews
New Zealand72 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

Found 72 reviews matching the searchSee all 47,229 reviews

Good crew, bad management

Enjoyed working with my crew but the management caused a lot of issues ( with its lack of) and the lack of crew on the floor was detrimental. There was a lot of drama, sometimes felt like highschool.

Stressed and under scrutiny by unprofessional and incompetent management

The best part of the day after any shift is leaving. There is a constant culture of hating the job. People are envious of people who have resigned because the management has a bad habit of not letting people quit, threatening to fire them if they asked again. The work is consistently stressful with small mistakes being constantly pointed out and compliments from customers ignored. The wages are minimal and stay minimal. The only raise i ever received after working there for 4 years was a 30 cent increase for doing the morning maintenance which was exponentially more involved and stressful. i am currently looking for a new job and its the best decision i have made in 4 years. Wish me luck

Pros

One free meal just big enough for you to not die on shift

Cons

Management and work culture in general

Under staffed and not fun

I had worked here for a decent amount of time and I know from the first week It would be rough. there was no team effort and very judgemental towards staff. I would like to say I enjoyed it but it was difficult. the workplace culture was that no one would help in front-drive or production and it was man for themselves. Customers were rude there as this store is in the heart of Papatoetoe. I would at least expect the management to be kind but in the first week I was told off for a customer not having any money in their account. The hardest part of the job was when my shift had ended and I was about to leave, they swore and forced me to stay back to the point I am doing more than 12 hours a day while studying. I wished they would have more staff and no problems would simply occur. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

rude staff, Long hours, low staffed

Never again

Work itself was ok. Learnt lots of skills on drive thru and front counter. Would recommend for students but career advancement is limited and management at my store were derogatory at times and demeaning. Was fast tracked for management pretty quick but the pay is average and they expect you to be available for a huge amount of hours a week whenever they feel like it.

Pros

Fast paced, busy, cool co workers

Cons

Limited income, rude management, long hours

Very busy doing graveyard shifts and was not worth it

This job is only necessary if you need money, not a really good job for full-time. Managers are always angry even when you try your best to appease them while working.

Avoid

Minimum wage all throughout. Very demanding job. You need to be able to learn quick only through verbal instructions. No comprehensive training documents to support you (not even an ingredient and procedure list for the various burgers). Disgusting and sometimes dangerous workplace. Bosses do not employ effective security personnel to protect those working during night shift hours.

I will not return

It was a ongoing process of different shifts. No promises to a successful outcome or job benefits. Previous qualifications and experience were not taken into account.

productive workplace

although my experience at Burger King was limited it was an overall good experience, love the friendly vibes that the other works radiated truly special. However, i have felt that working at Burger King wasn't for me.

Was great with the people I worked with except a couple

Was targeted by the main manager for anything that went wrong, was never in the right with her, threatened to have me done for fraud at one time......

workplace culture

Overall made some great friends there and gained some workplace experience. There was no room for growth because it was limited and couldn’t swap shifts.

fun workplace

the workplace is really fast paced and fun when you get the hang of everything and have a great team to help out. I learnt so much from , cooking, making burgers , taking orders, running them, cleaning , maintenance, and a lot more

It was a good work place

The work place is okay, The worker are amazing people to work with they make your day brighter and more easier to work with. The customers can be a pain sometimes but that alright

Stressful environment

I"ve worked in Two different Burger King stores now the first was great the management team there not only taught me how to do the job and do it well but the ethic people should have towards a job The second however the management there was nasty to its workers putting way to much pressure on some of their workers and slack on others also allowing to store to run in unsafe work practice for the staff themselves

Meh

BK (as well as other fast food places) is a good place to start if you need a job or experience. However i would not reccomend staying for a long time or if you are able to find something better. Starting with the negative, Some managers can be difficult, to work with. When managers make changes to your weekly roster (especially if its last minute changes) they sometimes do not give you any warning. They may not care about your educational or non-work related priorities (i've had a manager asked or made me work extra hours when i've told them numerous times that i needed to do an assessment nearly due). As for the positives, they do provide a free meals (albiet a limited menu for crew meals) for every working day. it is quite flexable at times so it's good if you have uni, school or other priorities. Training is pretty decent they will teach you the basics and have you work with a manager or experienced staff untill you get the feel for the task. Keep note that this is based on my experience in the multiple BK branches i've worked in over the years. Your experience may differ. Howerver my experience working with BK overall is mixed leaning slightly towards negative.

Pros

Free food, good team building, decent training.

Cons

Communication needs improving, time management need improving, some people can be difficult to work with.

Fun workplace but a bit hard at time

The work was incredibly fun to work at but sometimes they make you do all 3 positions at once and its sometimes hard to keep up. But I would recommend it

Pros

Free Lunch and free food at the end when shop is closing!

Fun workplace

Everyday at work you need to be prepared and ready for the rush, never know what time it can get busy. It's good to meet new people and make good friends at work. Sometimes we don't get all our breaks which is annoying. Need to be stocked up and full of energy to be fast and fresh service to the customers.

Pros

Free crew meals

Cons

doing long hours

Fun workplace

Burger King was my very first job, they taught me how to work at a fast pase, manage the front counter stock, make delicious burgers & manage difficult situations and customer complaints.. The hardest part was keeping up with the drive thru orders at such a fast pase during our lunch/dinner rush hours when i first started, and the most enjoyable part is interacting and working with my colligues / work partners and treating eachother as our own. Also enjoyed the odd laughs with different customers was something to look forward to.

Pros

Free Meals

Cons

Long Hours

was ok

It was my first official job had its ups and downs as every job does, the hours were very full on as I am a hard working very valued team member. It is a goo first time job but not a job as a career

Sometimes a fun workplace

When I first started working at Hillcrest Burger King it was a great workplace but it then went downhill, the manager cut my shifts down for pathetic reasons like being on ACC as I hurt my knee at work but then when I was fit for work again he cut me down to one shift a week which isn't even enough to live on, I wasn't the only one he was doing it to either. The other staff members that I worked with most the time were fun to work with and we all got along really well. Hillcrest Burger King overall was an okay workplace but I definitely wouldn't recommend working there to be quite honest.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Difficult Manager

productive, fun experience

hard work satisfying the hungry. people can be picky and fussy, but you can not let that get in the way of your customer service. People skills is needed when working in a busy fast food company. i have learned that you are expected to be clean, tidy and ready for each shift. sometimes it can be stressful but your team mates will carry you if you let them help. don't be shy to ask for help or you wont get far. management were firm and fair in every decision made. the day goes faster when you are having fun. nothing is hard in the work place if you have the right attitude. my most enjoyable part of the job was customer service on the front till. taking peoples orders and handing them their food.

Eh

Had to fight for my pay rise for over the two years that I was there for as well as had to fight to take time off over this time period. they made me put the job above all else including studies that I was doing at this time.

Pros

Free uniforms and Food on breaks

Cons

Long Hours with no breaks sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burger King. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

12.3K
11.7K
12.6K
5.1K
5.5K

• Burger King
  • Crew Member
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?