BurgerFuel Employee Reviews

Depends on the franchisee you get
Part-time staff (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland10 January 2020
Work is fine, pretty demanding and overworked at times. But I believe this might come down to which at re you work at. Some have a fun culture encouraged, others are more regimented and run poorly with owner participating in gossip and encouraging poor behaviour.
Enjoyable but stressful
Store Staff member (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury29 December 2019
BurgerFuel is a Great first job for anyone who wants to get in the workforce. It can be hard to balance school and work. Give you good opportunities, not a long term job.
Fun working environment
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland13 December 2019
Having our own radio station that plays banging music really uplifts employee spirits. Burgerfuel is not an easy place to work, you need to bring your A game every day and I feel like we shape a lot of kids into adults by showing them how to work hard and how to reap the rewards.
Amazing staff and environment... Horrible management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Mt. Wellington, Auckland3 November 2019
Summary:
+ Staff is great and fun to chill with
+ Lax environment, not much for strictness and by-the-book rules
+ Get to develop communication skills and multi-tasking
+ Nice food
- Higher ups are all a bunch cucks that don't care about you or your team
- Large workloads, small rewards
- Very stressful

Full:
Always understaffed, with the same rotation of workers on for whole days at a time. Managers are worse off than regular crew working essentially the entire week for not much better pay.

Staff when in a good mood are all friendly and fun to be around, gets quite tense during lunch and dinner rushes as everyone is stretching themselves to handle unbearable workloads.

Staff meals are great, as long as you're a fan of their food.

Stores are encouraged to be extremely competitive, and there's constantly inter-store competitions that result in a store-wide cash reward based on rank placements. Cash is split based on working hours and generally decided by store manager.

Can expect a whole lot of stress all the time with minimal reward. However if you're looking for an intimate work space that keeps you extremely busy and has you working yourself to death in a team this might be the one for you.
Hated this job
Kitchen Hand (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 July 2019
I did not like working for burgerfuel management was unfair to part timers and the owner of the store gave out empty promises throughout the year and a bit that I worked there.
After organising trainings and workshops for the local farmers of my community,they started to target the good farming methos which made them more pro
Assistant farmer maneger (Former Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland11 June 2019
I have got a certificate from yali network in USA for my active participation and engagement in the training of the local farmers of my community. My effort helped many local farmers to be competitive and engage in their farming activities. They become more productive after following my methods taught to them.
Pros
Free lunch
Fun workplace
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Parnell, Auckland28 January 2019
I've learned a few things about myself while working at Burgerfuel, my strengths and weaknesses. I was able to identify them and improve on them simultaneously while enjoying the busy work flow and gaining new skills.

The culture around BurgerFuel workplace in Parnell is vibrant and fun , even when working on one of the busiest nights of the week which is either friday or saturday night. You could never stress about anything at work because tasks are always delegated to each staffs, accordingly to their experience and management level. Workload is fairly shared around.

The hardest part of the job for me personally would be managing a customer's complaint or frustration. I could easily get flustered by this however, I overcame this by experiencing more of customer complaints. I grew more confident and handled almost every situation with care by the system's rules and policies. It was both scary and fun because I was learning how to step out of my comfort-zone.
Pros
yummy staff meals (burgers)
Cons
not enough hours/shifts are only 2-3hrs long, 15 mins break only
Productive environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland16 January 2019
Working at BurgerFuel gave me the confidence to be a peoples person, and be able to multitask. The job can be very stressful for newbies, as you have to complete tasks to a required standard.

Physically demanding on your emotional and physical health at times, as it is difficult to find cover, resulting in sickness

Poor management - Store manager seemed to only have dollar signs in their eyes and did not actually have a passion for the culture or franchisee, which sucks because BurgerFuel values family and individualism. Would do anything to make more money, even if that included jeopardising customers health.

We would not get a staff party at the end of the year, rarely got any perks besides burgers. Most of the staff were friendly, some sabotage your work, and make you feel undervalued. Some shift managers were not given a pay rise either after working there for over a year.
Pros
cool people, skills to develop, free food and darts
Cons
poor management, unrealistic hours esp 12 hour shifts if they are back to back
Nice... at the start
Normal worker (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington18 October 2018
It’s a good place but hard to get cover and gets you very tired. A lot of work for a newbie. Older staff don’t work as hard/aren’t expected to work as hard. They get paid more than me so? Not enough workers on at one time. Staff are fun, but grumpy when busy. I do like it, don’t get me wrong. Just isn’t for me. Sadly I wanna quit after 3 months...
Pros
Free food after 5 hours
Cons
Long nights and stress
fun workplace
Sales + Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty27 September 2018
it was thoroughly enjoyable until new management stepped in and ruined the workplace culture and the most enjoyable part of the job, which was the reason for my resignation
Fun environment - Not the best management: Hastings
FOH staff. Hotline crew (Former Employee) –  Hastings, Hawke's Bay25 September 2018
It was a fun environment and people to work around.. But you make one mistake, you get a grilling. Doesn't have to be that big. The management isn't the best/ that reliable. Hours are sometimes ridiculous and ask you to cover a lot.
Pros
Free burger and drink every 5 hours. 25% discount
Cons
Hours. Management. Can be stressful.
Burgerfuel review
Lower Hutt, Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt, Wellington1 September 2018
A typical evening during a shift required me to manage and look after a team of 6-11 staff members. Positioning them in areas they could excel in and also progress which included customer service, stacking burgers,chippie stacking to bagging the orders and food delivery instore. I believe that there is always room for progression no matter the gender or nationality. My role was very fulfilling knowing that my staff could trust me and themselves no matter the situation I gave me. I would say the hardest part of the job was delivery the greatest service under pressure of a full restaurant and packed docket orders as well as keeping a staff up and running under control. The most enjoyable part was having a fun shift with co-workers that verbally spoke and showed they enjoyed their time while working and leaving feeling like they done the best they could and what they needed to improve on the next shift. Helping my co-workers was the best part of being apart of this company.
Fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland30 August 2018
Extremely fun workplace, great fro uni students looking for part time work. Great work culture and you learn a lot about the hospitality industry things like food prep, making burgers, customer service etc.
Pros
Great staff
good sense of community and teamwork
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, Auckland20 July 2018
a fun and different place to work. fast paced and usually cheerful. good work is rewarded. having such a young management team means that occasionally personal issues get in the way.
Fun place to work
night closer and morning set up employee (Current Employee) –  Napier, Hawke's Bay4 April 2018
Great place to work, fun and always busy, hours can be long and tiring but nothing to bad if you can handle it. management is nice but sometimes difficult to talk to
Aimless, full of drama, and idiotic management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Riccarton, Canterbury15 March 2018
It took them a year to finally train me on other positions, despite being considered one of their best employees. There is almost no such thing as a salary increase. Lots of freeloading lazy staff or staff causing drama. Certain positions such as the Chippie and hotline staff depending on the setup are constantly under pressure. Hours are typically short and drawn out over multiple days making work and normal life balance terrible. There is a lack of mid-management and lack of training. Current/new management does not care about quality at all. Hours can fluctuate and you can find them promising you hours and then cutting you down to under 10 hours a week. Lots of pressure to 'upsell' despite sometimes upselling bad combinations of food or to the point where a customer is extremely upset. They will make you close every day if they can. They will also try to shorten your hours so they do not have to give you any food. There is no such thing as a break
Fun work place, management of store and staff could do with more improvements
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington20 January 2018
hardest part of the job is constantly working under pressure for little to none rewards and very little pay.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working close with other team members who get along well share same interests and know when to work hard when required
Cons
hours and time of hours
Hard job not to fall in love with
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, Auckland24 July 2017
Really amazing place full of heartfelt potential. Amazing customer service required and they will drill it into you. Great training system, everything is very black and white.
Amazing work environment
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Timaru, Canterbury26 June 2017
Friendly people encouraging environment. They helps me become so much more confident with customers because I was quite a shy person and now I have no problem
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Late nights
Great Place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand16 April 2017
I loved working at Burgerfuel as it taught me a lot about the general running of a restaurant. With a great team and great management I was able to progress and have confidence in the workplace. My most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be meeting all the people and engaging with the regular customers.
Pros
Free Lunches, Good progress opportunities