Canterbury District Health Board Employee Reviews

Great staff..poor management.
Senior Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury2 December 2019
Pros: some friendly and fun staff.

Cons: Manager is wolf in sheep's clothing, Inflexible and ineffective in their approach. Is a passive/aggressive bully ++++.
People at the heart of what we do (unless you are a staff member)
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  CDHB8 November 2019
The patient comes first and providing the best service you can to patient and family should be the focus. This is the focus with a lot of admin support staff. People are at the heart of the CDHB - unfortunately the CDHB culture demonstrates that staff are not considered as people.

No flexibility in working hours for picking kids up from school or attending to sick kids. I am made to feel guilty about not being at work when caring for sick child with snide comments from boss (and other office staff) of how I let the team down. Not parent friendly.
Racism is allowed and not acted upon when reported.
Bullying accepted part of the culture at every level.
Favouritism - if you are a friend with the boss there are perks. If your boss doesn't like you then watch out! Very very cliquey.
Class system obvious.
Pay not in line with roles.
Bring your own food, canteens too expensive, unless you are a doctor as they get fed for free.
No staff parking.

After reading my comments above you may ask why I am working here - it is for the patients. I know that I provide them with a great service.
Like some of my co-workers, I value the customer.

Job
Enjoy the actual work!! Can be hectic and fast paced but I quite like that.
Face to face patient interactions are rewarding.
Seeing a patient be discharged and leave the clinic setting smiling is why we do this.
It's very busy and demanding with clinics needing to be cancelled and patients rebooked at the drop of a hat so need to be able to adjust quickly.

The job itself is challenging yet rewarding - the
  more... culture and management at the CDHB needs an overhaul  less
It is a good place to work
Registered Nurse (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Burwood, Canterbury6 May 2019
I am working as a Registered Nurse,
I am happy about the culture in the ward I am working for and there are a bunch of lovely people out there. But I would say it completely depends on who are you working with.
A Sinking Ship
Former Staff (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury17 April 2019
The DHB itself is a great employer. However there are areas in the hospital that requires attention by the big wigs. Ward 17 is a great example of this; this ward has seen massive exodus of staff every few months or so. The lack of management effort to retain staff is appalling. Employees are often prosecuted on what they do but the management can easily get away with it.
Pros
Banter with in the MDT
Cons
Heavy work load and many more
Was a professional workplace with friendly and helpful people
Data Administration (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury5 February 2019
i worked as a casual admin. Very calm place with people ready to help you anytime you need them. flexible place to work and you get to learn new stuffs everyday. Was a total pleasure to work with the team as a whole.
My Career
Programme Administrator Public Health Nurses (Current Employee) –  Christchurch8 January 2019
As a result of my employment with the Public Health Nursing Service (PHNS) over several years in various roles I have gained extensive experience and a thorough understanding of all aspects of the administration roles relating to the department. I have also developed planning, training and leadership skills during my time working on secondment with IT service development team for new IT/system initiatives for the CDHB
I enjoy working with children. My collegues are all very committed and passionate in what they do
Hearing and Vision Technician (Maternity Cover) (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury3 January 2019
I enjoy working for Canterbury District Health Board in Public Health. I am passionate about working with our up and coming Tamariki and I learn so much from them. It is unfortunate that 24hrs a week is maternity cover; however, I see this as a positive opportunity to find another role that is just as fulfilling.
Pros
Public Health Nurses are so lovely
Very busy and Productive Workplace
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury27 November 2018
I enjoyed my time working in the CDHB Payroll Department as every day was quite different and brought about new challenges.
I was employed to manage the help desk and took all incoming calls in to the Payroll Department.
I did my best to sort the Payroll Queries myself but if that wasnt possible I would put them through to the appropriate Payroll Officer who could help further.
I also helped with processing of the timesheets coming in and in particular the Doctors and RMO's so that was always a challenge and provided alot of calculating of hours and call back hours.
Pros
Glide Time
Cons
Very Busy Workplace
Started off great
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, NZ4 November 2018
The start was great, but quickly it became apparent that middle management had no idea what priorities were. When asking for help and resources, it was hardly heeded.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Under resourced, people in wrong roles.
Not always a supportive employer.It depended on the management structure of the time
I loved that you never could anticipate what the day would bring. It could be a challenging workplace for those who were unconventional or a bit "different". Many of my colleagues were at school together and so it could be a little "cliquey".and hard for an outsider.Also many staff dated or married each other.
The hardest part of the job was the pressure to always being "ready"-ready for any event.the documentation requirements can be overwhelming.Ditto the legislation we have to adhere to.then add to this the constantly changing policies and procedures.It can feel like just as you get'to grips" with them and feel you truly understand them they change.
Workplace bullying was endemic too.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing patients recover and return to daily life
Pros
Drug company presentations-incredible lunches
Cons
working overtime
A role I enjoy doing, with many different challenges
Medical Records Officer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, New Zealand3 July 2018
Medical Records Officer

* A typical day involves the tracking of incoming and outgoing patient Mental Health medical records. These records are usually sent to either one of two hospitals, the first is Hillmorton hospital and the second is for the Princess Margaret Hospital. Also records can be sent to hospitals all around New Zealand.

* I have learned how to process confidential information in a timely manner, to meet set deadlines and ensure all the patients information is accounted for and correct.

*I am able to manage my own time, and meet deadlines, also I am able to complete extra work when it is asked of me.

* My workplace is on a black site, so patients and the public do not know where their records are stored. This is for the security of many patients information. The age range at my workplace is varied, there are people who are retirement age, and there are people who are fresh out of university.

* Some departments I send files to can hold onto files for longer then they should, so when another hospital in New Zealand asks for their files back it can be a pain to retrieve the files from them.

* Every patient is different so every record has a different way of it being processed, so the challenge of maintaining these records is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Helps patients, helps make connection to other hospital boards, has exercised my keen eye for detail, great communication between co workers
Cons
The vast age range can be an issue, patients who phone in can be hostile
Great people, very friendly
Clinical Coder (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury20 June 2018
The CDHB is a large employer. Working in a hospital was busy. The work was steady and routine. There was a lot of opportunity to move into different jobs.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Poor pay
Great place to work and great team environment
Ward Clerk/Aide (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, S14 October 2015
Love working with my colleagues and also having a rapport with the patients. My job gives me a variety of skills whether it is administration or helping the nurses as an aide. To be able to put a smile on someones face and know at the end of the day I have done a good days work.
Pros
Rotating 8 week roster based on day shifts only
Cons
Travelling to Christchurch and finding a park
Government Organisation
Systems/Service Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch18 November 2014
CDHB is great work place where you can excel yourself and learn more about the subject

The knowledge which I have gained is vast and varied like (Networking Concepts, Hardware, Application Support, User Support, L1 & L2 Support)

The management style is different to other companies as it is a government organization

Lack of team work and team spirit

Configuring and deploying Windows 7 Operating System using Configuration Manager Console (SCCM 2007)

Adding assets to the respective collection groups of SSCM

Handling SCCM Client installations & uninstallations and troubleshooting various on SCCM Client
In depth knowledge of how collection have been created in console for the location

Maintaining SCCM Patch activities

Maintaining Software distribution and SCCM log file auditing activities

Adding the Users and Machines to a respective collection group in an Active Directory

Backing Up of .pst files and other user related data to a safer location before rolling-out to windows 7

Assisting the users in order resolve the hardware and software compatibility issues

Managing the functionality and efficiency of a desktop proactively and reactively by responding to Jobs raised by the users in service desk queue

Assisting the users remotely in order to solve their issues (remote desktop)

Configure, deploy and explain the infrastructure of “Thin client” devices (Virtual Desktop Units) to the users

Adding the users to respective groups in Active Directory so that users can access the applications on VDI’s

Installing the printers and scanners
  more... over the network or locally (on VDI)

Packaging and Testing the functionality of applications(App-v packages like Delphic) which are active directory
Pros
Meeting new people in our daily work life
Cons
Lack of team work
Fun job and enjoyable work place
Systems Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Level 1, 33 St Asaph Street, Christchurch20 October 2014
Great environment
Good people
I learned what is SCCM
Windows rollout imaging Windows XP - Windows 7
Deployment through SCCM
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Overtime
fun workplace with fun co workers
Medical Secretary - Mental Health/Alcohol and Drug (Former Employee) –  christchurch11 November 2013
great place to work and not too stressful. enjoyed my time working here
Pros
great team to work with miss them a lot
Cons
hated leaving when i did
Porductive and Rewarding Job
Health Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch Hospital11 April 2013
Typical day at working is collecting and send information to health professionals, Gp's, Specialists and Hospitals all around Nz and Australia.
I have learned alot of information on medical terms etc while working here.
Our Manager is just fantastic and listens to everything you say and doesn't make you feel under valued.
Pros
great working environment, great people
Cons
not any cons that i can think of at this moment