Canterbury District Health Board
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Canterbury District Health Board Employee Reviews

New Zealand18 reviews
Huge job with huge satisfaction assisting our health consumers to access health services relevant to their health and well-being. Have been able to increase management/financial/health service/people development skills - empowering and guiding staff to develop professionally to best their 'best' workplace self whilst understanding the importance of their contribution to the NZ healthcare system. Love being able to work within budget and to health targets delivering tangible benefits to consumers. Really enjoy positive colleague vibes and seeing how we contribute our little bit the CDHB values of care and respect. There are good people working here.
Workplace culture has declined over the years with a lot of talk but not 'the walk' with internal accountability decreasing and no awareness of some poor management and real leadership skills lacking. Ask good questions at interview about the culture in the team you're interested in. Great nurses sometimes being put into leadership roles without support training or boundaries of what leadership actually is. Lack of management skill has resulted in convert bullying in my particular area e.g insufficient staffing, undermining and lack of resources to do our jobs. Pretty exhausting. HR systems to resolve/complain doesn't work unfortunately. Some areas better/worse that others. Upper management just ignore it. Just wish it could be fixed in my neck of the woods! Best part of the job- making sure our unit produces top quality healthcare, cost effectively by happy staff. The hardest part (and the only part I hate) is the soul
 - more...
Pros: some friendly and fun staff.

Cons: Manager is wolf in sheep's clothing, Inflexible and ineffective in their approach. Is a passive/aggressive bully ++++.
The patient comes first and providing the best service you can to patient and family should be the focus. This is the focus with a lot of admin support staff. People are at the heart of the CDHB - unfortunately the CDHB culture demonstrates that staff are not considered as people.

No flexibility in working hours for picking kids up from school or attending to sick kids. I am made to feel guilty about not being at work when caring for sick child with snide comments from boss (and other office staff) of how I let the team down. Not parent friendly.

Racism is allowed and not acted upon when reported.

Bullying accepted part of the culture at every level.

Favouritism - if you are a friend with the boss there are perks. If your boss doesn't like you then watch out! Very very cliquey.

Class system obvious.

Pay not in line with roles.

Bring your own food, canteens too expensive, unless you are a doctor as they get fed for free.

No staff parking.

After reading my comments above you may ask why I am working here - it is for the patients. I know that I provide them with a great service.

Like some of my co-workers, I value the customer.

Job

Enjoy the actual work!! Can be hectic and fast paced but I quite like that.

Face to face patient interactions are rewarding.

Seeing a patient be discharged and leave the clinic setting smiling is why we do this.

It's very busy and demanding with clinics needing to be cancelled and patients rebooked at the drop of a hat so need to be able to adjust quickly.

The job itself is challenging yet rewarding - the
I am working as a Registered Nurse,
I am happy about the culture in the ward I am working for and there are a bunch of lovely people out there. But I would say it completely depends on who are you working with.
The DHB itself is a great employer. However there are areas in the hospital that requires attention by the big wigs. Ward 17 is a great example of this; this ward has seen massive exodus of staff every few months or so. The lack of management effort to retain staff is appalling. Employees are often prosecuted on what they do but the management can easily get away with it.
Pros
Banter with in the MDT
Cons
Heavy work load and many more
i worked as a casual admin. Very calm place with people ready to help you anytime you need them. flexible place to work and you get to learn new stuffs everyday. Was a total pleasure to work with the team as a whole.
As a result of my employment with the Public Health Nursing Service (PHNS) over several years in various roles I have gained extensive experience and a thorough understanding of all aspects of the administration roles relating to the department. I have also developed planning, training and leadership skills during my time working on secondment with IT service development team for new IT/system initiatives for the CDHB
I enjoy working for Canterbury District Health Board in Public Health. I am passionate about working with our up and coming Tamariki and I learn so much from them. It is unfortunate that 24hrs a week is maternity cover; however, I see this as a positive opportunity to find another role that is just as fulfilling.
Pros
Public Health Nurses are so lovely
I enjoyed my time working in the CDHB Payroll Department as every day was quite different and brought about new challenges.
I was employed to manage the help desk and took all incoming calls in to the Payroll Department.

I did my best to sort the Payroll Queries myself but if that wasnt possible I would put them through to the appropriate Payroll Officer who could help further.

I also helped with processing of the timesheets coming in and in particular the Doctors and RMO's so that was always a challenge and provided alot of calculating of hours and call back hours.
Pros
Glide Time
Cons
Very Busy Workplace
The start was great, but quickly it became apparent that middle management had no idea what priorities were. When asking for help and resources, it was hardly heeded.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Under resourced, people in wrong roles.
I loved that you never could anticipate what the day would bring. It could be a challenging workplace for those who were unconventional or a bit "different". Many of my colleagues were at school together and so it could be a little "cliquey".and hard for an outsider.Also many staff dated or married each other.
The hardest part of the job was the pressure to always being "ready"-ready for any event.the documentation requirements can be overwhelming.Ditto the legislation we have to adhere to.then add to this the constantly changing policies and procedures.It can feel like just as you get'to grips" with them and feel you truly understand them they change.

Workplace bullying was endemic too.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing patients recover and return to daily life
Pros
Drug company presentations-incredible lunches
Cons
working overtime
Medical Records Officer

* A typical day involves the tracking of incoming and outgoing patient Mental Health medical records. These records are usually sent to either one of two hospitals, the first is Hillmorton hospital and the second is for the Princess Margaret Hospital. Also records can be sent to hospitals all around New Zealand.

* I have learned how to process confidential information in a timely manner, to meet set deadlines and ensure all the patients information is accounted for and correct.

*I am able to manage my own time, and meet deadlines, also I am able to complete extra work when it is asked of me.

* My workplace is on a black site, so patients and the public do not know where their records are stored. This is for the security of many patients information. The age range at my workplace is varied, there are people who are retirement age, and there are people who are fresh out of university.

* Some departments I send files to can hold onto files for longer then they should, so when another hospital in New Zealand asks for their files back it can be a pain to retrieve the files from them.

* Every patient is different so every record has a different way of it being processed, so the challenge of maintaining these records is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Helps patients, helps make connection to other hospital boards, has exercised my keen eye for detail, great communication between co workers
Cons
The vast age range can be an issue, patients who phone in can be hostile
The CDHB is a large employer. Working in a hospital was busy. The work was steady and routine. There was a lot of opportunity to move into different jobs.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Poor pay
Love working with my colleagues and also having a rapport with the patients. My job gives me a variety of skills whether it is administration or helping the nurses as an aide. To be able to put a smile on someones face and know at the end of the day I have done a good days work.
Pros
Rotating 8 week roster based on day shifts only
Cons
Travelling to Christchurch and finding a park
CDHB is great work place where you can excel yourself and learn more about the subject

The knowledge which I have gained is vast and varied like (Networking Concepts, Hardware, Application Support, User Support, L1 & L2 Support)

The management style is different to other companies as it is a government organization

Lack of team work and team spirit

Configuring and deploying Windows 7 Operating System using Configuration Manager Console (SCCM 2007)

Adding assets to the respective collection groups of SSCM

Handling SCCM Client installations & uninstallations and troubleshooting various on SCCM Client

In depth knowledge of how collection have been created in console for the location

Maintaining SCCM Patch activities

Maintaining Software distribution and SCCM log file auditing activities

Adding the Users and Machines to a respective collection group in an Active Directory

Backing Up of .pst files and other user related data to a safer location before rolling-out to windows 7

Assisting the users in order resolve the hardware and software compatibility issues

Managing the functionality and efficiency of a desktop proactively and reactively by responding to Jobs raised by the users in service desk queue

Assisting the users remotely in order to solve their issues (remote desktop)

Configure, deploy and explain the infrastructure of “Thin client” devices (Virtual Desktop Units) to the users

Adding the users to respective groups in Active Directory so that users can access the applications on VDI’s

Installing the printers and scanners
 - more...
Pros
Meeting new people in our daily work life
Cons
Lack of team work
Great environment
Good people

I learned what is SCCM

Windows rollout imaging Windows XP - Windows 7

Deployment through SCCM
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Overtime
great place to work and not too stressful. enjoyed my time working here
Pros
great team to work with miss them a lot
Cons
hated leaving when i did
Typical day at working is collecting and send information to health professionals, Gp's, Specialists and Hospitals all around Nz and Australia.
I have learned alot of information on medical terms etc while working here.

Our Manager is just fantastic and listens to everything you say and doesn't make you feel under valued.
Pros
great working environment, great people
Cons
not any cons that i can think of at this moment