Carter Holt Harvey
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Carter Holt Harvey Employee Reviews

New Zealand34 reviews
Friendly Team
Had very good friendly team while working at Carter Holt Harvey. Very supportive. Working as fork hoist operator was not a very easy task for me. But I received encouragement from the colleagues.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Work somewhere else if you can
They treat you like a number. Expect 200% from you on minimum wage when someone on their first day does nothing on same pay rate. Very hard to get pay rises, always promised never given. Management is useless, no idea how to run a company. You only move up by treading on other people.
Very excellent
Will I must say this was the best company I have ever worked for.Best bunch of workers.good community. Probably was I stayed therefore 30 years.Good amenityies
Pros
Allgood
Good workplace
Good environment and health and safety standards,
got to work with many different personalities and cultures.

I worked on the floor making my way up to managing my own shift.

The best part is helping the operators with learning and training,

helping them achieve their goals,

eventually working on their pay rises,

and giving them more experience and training.

The hardest part of the job but yet very rewarding,

was helping people through difficult circumstances,

whether that be at home or at work.

The other things that I have enjoyed,

is working on system to help improve health and Safety,

whether that be with tool boxes, updating isolation assessments and training assessments.

I also do fitec units (competenz NZQA),

mark and assess as I have my assessors unit.

I learnt to manage pays by checking and approving worked hours by the operators,

learnt how to organize my time better and manage better with the ongoing courses that my job has allowed me to do to achieve ongoing potential.
Pros
Doing courses such as first line management level 3
Enjoy my job and the people i work with
I am at my work station at 0515/1715 to prepare myself and my crews equipment EG tools, sap and data sheets. talk to previous operators from out going shifts about any breakdowns jams or quality problems they might have had during there shift. get along well with operations manager and the maintenance department, try to give them as much information about machine centres as I can so work can be carried out on designated maintenance day. enjoy the challenges of drying low density logs very difficult job. Best part of the job is knowing I am going home satisfied that I have produced the highest quality of veneer possible and my fellow work mates are going home safely to there family.
It’s a hardworking place yet the workers are friendly you get a lot of snobs from the office workers.
realistically management and supervisors should ease up on the workers that are actually making the money. For the company, or even better see what it’s like in there shoes. guys sweat everyday yet the rate is shocking. At first your like ok that’s cool but 2years - 15years maybe upwards still the same ohh get outa here. Haven’t quiet met the ceo
Pros
2 - 3times a year free lunch
Cons
Need more hours
supportive and motivational
Carter Holt Harvey wood products has good benefits for it's staff and is proactive in upskilling personnel. I worked with a great team in the maintenance department servicing equipment ranging from Vintage to highly sophisticated, a good all-round experience.
Productive but Short term Focus
The company is privately owned and currently up for sale. While the people are great the sale prospect is causing uncertainty and insecurity. The business can be a fun pace to work at and has a large diverse ethic work force.
Pros
Great people, flexible work hours, able to work from home.
Cons
Business uncertainity
a fun place
Great management with great wokers. I learned a lot from my friend that I worked with..the best part is when we had lunch and talked about the job. The hardest part is when we worked long hours
Pros
great manage ment
Not worth your time
Pay wasn’t too bad. Management was hopeless. Constant relocating around the site which made it harder to get good at one skill at a time
Came across some employees who thought they were your boss

Was lied too multiple times about my contract and wasted my time on many levels

I’d rate it a two or three out of ten. Wouldn’t recommend working there unless it’s a last resort.
Pros
Bugger all
Cons
Useless management, unrealistic work expectations, lack of respect to employees, to many temps
good place
good environment to work and friendly staff. I love how thins are working as they use the latest equipment with folk hoist, reach hoist, computerize programmed to load and unload the product. The biggest paper company in New Zealand.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good hours
A okay place to work but working conditions not the best.
Some of the time there was okay but some of the work collegues were hard to get on with.Not the place to be without transport as it was half an hours drive to nearest town.
Pros
had some good lunches from the cookhouse
Cons
Had to live in singlemens hut
Good pay but treated really poorly
If below 0 was a rating Carter Holt Harvey would get it threatened like prisoners and even sworn and talked down soon by CEO.they have no interest in hearing what their employees have to say
Pros
Good pay in areas
Cons
Disrespectful unprofessional
Not a company I would recommend to my friends
Lack of vision and leadership.
Good experienced staff.

Massive turnover of staff (Management)

Don't upgrade on equipment

There seems to be a lack of knowledge in all areas of the business
Pros
medical and pension
Cons
Lack of pride
night shift work
4 nights on 4 days off was a hard shift. Just got back into sleeping nights and it was back to work.The money was good for the hours but impacted on home life too much.
Challenging, Draining, Unsatifiying
Although I did enjoy my time at the mill, Tasman was an extremely difficult place to work especially between 1999 and 2015 when the business changed owners 5 times with each owner putting some difficult expectations on the business. Due to the high turn over of employees in management, unrealistic work load was distributed with no relief in sight.
I was promoted from production coordinator to manufacturing manager and kept all of the duties of both roles. When more people left and the outsourced maintenance team under performed, I was given the role as annual shut managers role on top of my other duties. When the new mill manager started in 2014, I carried on creating weekly and monthly reports for the CEO and directions team at the mill managers request. My work life balance suffered to the point where I had to leave the business due to many requests for help being ignored.

The hardest part of working at the mill was dealing the a very strong unionised culture and working within the boundaries of the contract whilst trying t achieve the KPI's
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, poor relability, no accountability, unrealistic work expectations
Team work and improved Job culture environment equals production
First of all,a typical day would start off with preparing with the work schedule for the day and any emergency order that can be slotted in with production schedule. The work environment was awesome, working with co-workers and Management.learning new skills such as operating other machines and different job tasks. All this can be challenging,satisfying,and enjoyable as a task has been completed
The social club and the end of the year breakups brought the whole work environment to a new level, as you felt you were a part of the company.
Pros
Awesome work social set ups
Cons
had to pay for it and taxed too high
Daily checks on all machines.
Doing work which was scheduled for the day.

Shuts on machines.

Full time on standby on any breakdowns.

Learned faultfinding on machines and to get better performanse.

Good team, always willing to help each other.

Satisfaction of finishing a job before the cut off time and to see that a machine is in a good running condition, and better working, after the job is done.
Pros
Shift and meal allowance, Pension and Medical Insurance, overtime
Good people, lots of change
The team that I have worked in for the past 3 years has been very united and a great place to work. The team spirit and people makes for a very relaxed and fun culture.
That said, there is significant change now and many of the teams are either relocating or subject to significant change.

This means that the teams I have been working alongside will soon no longer be part of my working day and the management team that I am working with are moving to a different business.
Pros
The people are great to work with
Cons
Significant change now means job no longer the same / relocation further to travel
Good , solid company to work for in New Zealand
Underpaid comparative to market. Good work / life balance, would have had to wait till someone left for a promotion. Not a great culture outside of work.
Likeable workplace
I pretty much new everything else except uploading run sheets using excel and uploader and also data analyse which is something that I never had done it before so these are the two things I have learnt from this company.
Pros
half an hour lunch
Cons
yes long hours when it comes to month end.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carter Holt Harvey. Our community is ready to answer.