Carter Holt Harvey Employee Reviews

It’s a hardworking place yet the workers are friendly you get a lot of snobs from the office workers.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  East Tamaki, Auckland7 April 2018
realistically management and supervisors should ease up on the workers that are actually making the money. For the company, or even better see what it’s like in there shoes. guys sweat everyday yet the rate is shocking. At first your like ok that’s cool but 2years - 15years maybe upwards still the same ohh get outa here. Haven’t quiet met the ceo
Pros
2 - 3times a year free lunch
Cons
Need more hours
supportive and motivational
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Tokoroa, Waikato27 March 2018
Carter Holt Harvey wood products has good benefits for it's staff and is proactive in upskilling personnel. I worked with a great team in the maintenance department servicing equipment ranging from Vintage to highly sophisticated, a good all-round experience.
Productive but Short term Focus
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Onehunga, Auckalnd1 March 2018
The company is privately owned and currently up for sale. While the people are great the sale prospect is causing uncertainty and insecurity. The business can be a fun pace to work at and has a large diverse ethic work force.
Pros
Great people, flexible work hours, able to work from home.
Cons
Business uncertainity
a fun place
Assistant Laminator and Printer, Aperio (Former Employee) –  Christchurch New Zealand1 March 2018
Great management with great wokers. I learned a lot from my friend that I worked with..the best part is when we had lunch and talked about the job. The hardest part is when we worked long hours
Pros
great manage ment
Not worth your time
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Nelson23 January 2018
Pay wasn’t too bad. Management was hopeless. Constant relocating around the site which made it harder to get good at one skill at a time
Came across some employees who thought they were your boss
Was lied too multiple times about my contract and wasted my time on many levels
I’d rate it a two or three out of ten. Wouldn’t recommend working there unless it’s a last resort.
Pros
Bugger all
Cons
Useless management, unrealistic work expectations, lack of respect to employees, to many temps
good place
Forklift Driver, /Inward Good (Former Employee) –  Nelson Road, onehunga12 June 2017
good environment to work and friendly staff. I love how thins are working as they use the latest equipment with folk hoist, reach hoist, computerize programmed to load and unload the product. The biggest paper company in New Zealand.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good hours
A okay place to work but working conditions not the best.
Table hand on dry table (Former Employee) –  Maramarua4 June 2017
Some of the time there was okay but some of the work collegues were hard to get on with.Not the place to be without transport as it was half an hours drive to nearest town.
Pros
had some good lunches from the cookhouse
Cons
Had to live in singlemens hut
Good pay but treated really poorly
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Nelson, Nelson18 May 2017
If below 0 was a rating Carter Holt Harvey would get it threatened like prisoners and even sworn and talked down soon by CEO.they have no interest in hearing what their employees have to say
Pros
Good pay in areas
Cons
Disrespectful unprofessional
Not a company I would recommend to my friends
Supervisor and senior managment (Current Employee) –  South island7 December 2016
Lack of vision and leadership.
Good experienced staff.
Massive turnover of staff (Management)
Don't upgrade on equipment
There seems to be a lack of knowledge in all areas of the business
Pros
medical and pension
Cons
Lack of pride
night shift work
Engineering/ Packing/ Stores (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland24 November 2016
4 nights on 4 days off was a hard shift. Just got back into sleeping nights and it was back to work.The money was good for the hours but impacted on home life too much.
Challenging, Draining, Unsatifiying
Manufacturing & Annual shut manager - CHH Tasman (Former Employee) –  Tasman12 September 2016
Although I did enjoy my time at the mill, Tasman was an extremely difficult place to work especially between 1999 and 2015 when the business changed owners 5 times with each owner putting some difficult expectations on the business. Due to the high turn over of employees in management, unrealistic work load was distributed with no relief in sight.
I was promoted from production coordinator to manufacturing manager and kept all of the duties of both roles. When more people left and the outsourced maintenance team under performed, I was given the role as annual shut managers role on top of my other duties. When the new mill manager started in 2014, I carried on creating weekly and monthly reports for the CEO and directions team at the mill managers request. My work life balance suffered to the point where I had to leave the business due to many requests for help being ignored.
The hardest part of working at the mill was dealing the a very strong unionised culture and working within the boundaries of the contract whilst trying t achieve the KPI's
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, poor relability, no accountability, unrealistic work expectations
Team work and improved Job culture environment equals production
Machine operator. (Former Employee) –  Auckland, NZ15 December 2015
First of all,a typical day would start off with preparing with the work schedule for the day and any emergency order that can be slotted in with production schedule. The work environment was awesome, working with co-workers and Management.learning new skills such as operating other machines and different job tasks. All this can be challenging,satisfying,and enjoyable as a task has been completed
The social club and the end of the year breakups brought the whole work environment to a new level, as you felt you were a part of the company.
Pros
Awesome work social set ups
Cons
had to pay for it and taxed too high
Maintenance Engineer (Fitter and Turner) (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury1 November 2015
Daily checks on all machines.
Doing work which was scheduled for the day.
Shuts on machines.
Full time on standby on any breakdowns.

Learned faultfinding on machines and to get better performanse.

Good team, always willing to help each other.

Satisfaction of finishing a job before the cut off time and to see that a machine is in a good running condition, and better working, after the job is done.
Pros
Shift and meal allowance, Pension and Medical Insurance, overtime
Good people, lots of change
Asset and Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Onehunga, Auckland23 August 2015
The team that I have worked in for the past 3 years has been very united and a great place to work. The team spirit and people makes for a very relaxed and fun culture.
That said, there is significant change now and many of the teams are either relocating or subject to significant change.
This means that the teams I have been working alongside will soon no longer be part of my working day and the management team that I am working with are moving to a different business.
Pros
The people are great to work with
Cons
Significant change now means job no longer the same / relocation further to travel
Good , solid company to work for in New Zealand
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT) (Former Employee) –  Auckland28 July 2015
Underpaid comparative to market. Good work / life balance, would have had to wait till someone left for a promotion. Not a great culture outside of work.
Likeable workplace
Weighbridge Administrator (Current Employee) –  Onehunga, N2 June 2015
I pretty much new everything else except uploading run sheets using excel and uploader and also data analyse which is something that I never had done it before so these are the two things I have learnt from this company.
Pros
half an hour lunch
Cons
yes long hours when it comes to month end.
Good work culture and safety.Good roster
Maintenance Fitter (Former Employee) –  Brightwater, S20 May 2015
10 hour day over 4 day roster
Work was varied and support good
Good team work and easy work enviroment.
the variety of machinery and work was interesting and rewarding.
Pros
Work roster, Job satisfaction
Cons
Travel time from home
Good and Safety work place
Corrugator Stacker Operator (Current Employee) –  mahunga Drive, Mangere27 January 2015
Every working night is like any other job need to work hard and be responsible for what you are doing learned how engaged in some cases that you have to make proper decision to make the job done safely especially how to interact to other people with good management who always care for safety friendly co-workers sometimes you have to work double to cover some absentees but at the end of the shift you feel happy because you've get the job done.
Pros
bring your own
Cons
normal hours
provide a good workplace
Machine & Fork Operator (Former Employee) –  Ruakaka, N12 August 2014
my typical day at work was long and standing on your feet for 12hours.What i learnt was different types of the trees and sheets that were made by the tree.management was good but hard but they made our work place safe.the hardest part of the job was paperwork every shift you do.co-workers were good because they were there to help you alot.enjoyable part to the job was going home from a long day
Pros
no hot meals for the night shift
Cons
It is a very productive and we always have fun but everyone wish to have that company back because its close down (redundancy)
Quality Controller (Former Employee) –  Auckland, N1 July 2014
I love my job I worked 12hrs a night that means 4on and 4off in other words 4days @ work and 4days off. Anyway the beauty of my job is filling in report and ready for the next shift just to let them know if there is an on going problem during our run. Hardest part of the job when our packer went for her break and I have to cover her. I worked with friendly bundle of team nice people with good attitude
Pros
Yes company offered free lunch if our team reached the target of the month
Cons
Yes long hours