Carter Holt Harvey
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Carter Holt Harvey Employee Reviews

Had very good friendly team while working at Carter Holt Harvey. Very supportive. Working as fork hoist operator was not a very easy task for me. But I received encouragement from the colleagues.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
They treat you like a number. Expect 200% from you on minimum wage when someone on their first day does nothing on same pay rate. Very hard to get pay rises, always promised never given. Management is useless, no idea how to run a company. You only move up by treading on other people.
Will I must say this was the best company I have ever worked for.Best bunch of workers.good community. Probably was I stayed therefore 30 years.Good amenityies
Pros
Allgood
Cons
Awesome place to work loved the job. Always a good day at cater Holt harvy. Miss the boys. I hope I find the opportunity to work in a place like that again.
The work was hard, the people where fantastic, they really made the place. Everyone would band together to make sure the work was done.
People looked out for other people and where friendly.
It used to be good to work there but when they changed management the community went out of the place , some of the supervisors are womanisers and you can't get time off around Christmas also alot of favouritism
lovely people great place to work. excellent money for wat's expected. rotating roster lots of prese when a good job is dun. very excepting of different people.
Good environment and health and safety standards,
got to work with many different personalities and cultures.

I worked on the floor making my way up to managing my own shift.

The best part is helping the operators with learning and training,

helping them achieve their goals,

eventually working on their pay rises,

and giving them more experience and training.

The hardest part of the job but yet very rewarding,

was helping people through difficult circumstances,

whether that be at home or at work.

The other things that I have enjoyed,

is working on system to help improve health and Safety,

whether that be with tool boxes, updating isolation assessments and training assessments.

I also do fitec units (competenz NZQA),

mark and assess as I have my assessors unit.

I learnt to manage pays by checking and approving worked hours by the operators,

learnt how to organize my time better and manage better with the ongoing courses that my job has allowed me to do to achieve ongoing potential.
Pros
Doing courses such as first line management level 3
I am at my work station at 0515/1715 to prepare myself and my crews equipment EG tools, sap and data sheets. talk to previous operators from out going shifts about any breakdowns jams or quality problems they might have had during there shift. get along well with operations manager and the maintenance department, try to give them as much information about machine centres as I can so work can be carried out on designated maintenance day. enjoy the challenges of drying low density logs very difficult job. Best part of the job is knowing I am going home satisfied that I have produced the highest quality of veneer possible and my fellow work mates are going home safely to there family.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Carter Holt Harvey?
realistically management and supervisors should ease up on the workers that are actually making the money. For the company, or even better see what it’s like in there shoes. guys sweat everyday yet the rate is shocking. At first your like ok that’s cool but 2years - 15years maybe upwards still the same ohh get outa here. Haven’t quiet met the ceo
Pros
2 - 3times a year free lunch
Cons
Need more hours
Carter Holt Harvey wood products has good benefits for it's staff and is proactive in upskilling personnel. I worked with a great team in the maintenance department servicing equipment ranging from Vintage to highly sophisticated, a good all-round experience.
The company is privately owned and currently up for sale. While the people are great the sale prospect is causing uncertainty and insecurity. The business can be a fun pace to work at and has a large diverse ethic work force.
Pros
Great people, flexible work hours, able to work from home.
Cons
Business uncertainity
Great management with great wokers. I learned a lot from my friend that I worked with..the best part is when we had lunch and talked about the job. The hardest part is when we worked long hours
Pros
great manage ment
Cons
Pay wasn’t too bad. Management was hopeless. Constant relocating around the site which made it harder to get good at one skill at a time
Came across some employees who thought they were your boss

Was lied too multiple times about my contract and wasted my time on many levels

I’d rate it a two or three out of ten. Wouldn’t recommend working there unless it’s a last resort.
Pros
Bugger all
Cons
Useless management, unrealistic work expectations, lack of respect to employees, to many temps
The staff were freindly and the job was hard but the supevisor was encouraging us to do. the salary was ok and the shift was 8 hours
The company is ok
Cons
I enjoyed the team environment with this company.
Training was up to standard

Safety Values.

Clean Environment

Production was monotonous alot of the same product.
Pros
Great Team Environment
Cons
Shift Work
Worked there for six years, no opportunity for advancement, now they are closing, and lm being made redundant. Expected to do the impossible, always under stress
Pros
Cons
don't really care about the workers
closing down, hate It, working with a lot of good blokes, a lot of good workers here, working here has been a great experience and ive met a lot of good people
Pros
good workers
Cons
closing down
As an supervisor in the sawmill my day would taken up by people management, keeping the mill on budget and making sure safety come first. I would have to plan daily cut pattern to suit orders for the site and external orders.
Pros
built up many skills
Cons
The site is closing
I have never worked for such a company that has little or no respect for their employees.
They expect so much more from staff and with no incentive.

We have all been made redundant at end of September.
Unable to comment on a range of issues at this plant due to being employed as a contractor only.

Employees that undertook training and assessment were very keen to share ideas on how they could improve things at the Tumut facility.

Management were keen for their employees to complete their training so as to b ring new skills to the shop floor level, especially those that would enhance productivity improvements.

Meeting new people in a totally different manufacturing environment.