Carter Holt Harvey logo
Carter Holt Harvey
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Carter Holt Harvey Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Friendly Team

Had very good friendly team while working at Carter Holt Harvey. Very supportive. Working as fork hoist operator was not a very easy task for me. But I received encouragement from the colleagues.

Pros

free coffee

Stressful and long hours

Not a very good place to work.no money spent on new machinery.no overhead gantry to help with the heavy lifting of trusses and frames.Low wages had to wait for the min pay rate to go up to $20hr.got ripped off annual leave to use during covid lockdown 2020.Quantity not quality to get your cube out every week.Long hours hard on the body sore backs and shoulders.High absenteism due to getting sick or body is sore.need a day off.No incentives lack of direction by management.Wages could be way higher for what you do better off being a hammerhand or building apprentice.Carters executive management don't really care your just a number you work hard to fatten there pockets.Carters need to be investigated can be quite a toxic enviroment.

Pros

Southern Cross discounted Healthcare, you need it when your body breaksdown, Good mates there they the ones who do the real work.

Cons

Long hours.always tired.no incentives.no free lunches.low pay.

Work somewhere else if you can

They treat you like a number. Expect 200% from you on minimum wage when someone on their first day does nothing on same pay rate. Very hard to get pay rises, always promised never given. Management is useless, no idea how to run a company. You only move up by treading on other people.

Very excellent

Will I must say this was the best company I have ever worked for.Best bunch of workers.good community. Probably was I stayed therefore 30 years.Good amenityies

Pros

Allgood

Good people

Awesome place to work loved the job. Always a good day at cater Holt harvy. Miss the boys. I hope I find the opportunity to work in a place like that again.

Hard work great people

The work was hard, the people where fantastic, they really made the place. Everyone would band together to make sure the work was done. People looked out for other people and where friendly.

Doesn't care anymore for community

It used to be good to work there but when they changed management the community went out of the place , some of the supervisors are womanisers and you can't get time off around Christmas also alot of favouritism

dryer opperator

lovely people great place to work. excellent money for wat's expected. rotating roster lots of prese when a good job is dun. very excepting of different people.

Good workplace

Good environment and health and safety standards, got to work with many different personalities and cultures. I worked on the floor making my way up to managing my own shift. The best part is helping the operators with learning and training, helping them achieve their goals, eventually working on their pay rises, and giving them more experience and training. The hardest part of the job but yet very rewarding, was helping people through difficult circumstances, whether that be at home or at work. The other things that I have enjoyed, is working on system to help improve health and Safety, whether that be with tool boxes, updating isolation assessments and training assessments. I also do fitec units (competenz NZQA), mark and assess as I have my assessors unit. I learnt to manage pays by checking and approving worked hours by the operators, learnt how to organize my time better and manage better with the ongoing courses that my job has allowed me to do to achieve ongoing potential.

Pros

Doing courses such as first line management level 3

Enjoy my job and the people i work with

I am at my work station at 0515/1715 to prepare myself and my crews equipment EG tools, sap and data sheets. talk to previous operators from out going shifts about any breakdowns jams or quality problems they might have had during there shift. get along well with operations manager and the maintenance department, try to give them as much information about machine centres as I can so work can be carried out on designated maintenance day. enjoy the challenges of drying low density logs very difficult job. Best part of the job is knowing I am going home satisfied that I have produced the highest quality of veneer possible and my fellow work mates are going home safely to there family.

Jobs at Carter Holt Harvey

See more jobs

It’s a hardworking place yet the workers are friendly you get a lot of snobs from the office workers.

realistically management and supervisors should ease up on the workers that are actually making the money. For the company, or even better see what it’s like in there shoes. guys sweat everyday yet the rate is shocking. At first your like ok that’s cool but 2years - 15years maybe upwards still the same ohh get outa here. Haven’t quiet met the ceo

Pros

2 - 3times a year free lunch

Cons

Need more hours

supportive and motivational

Carter Holt Harvey wood products has good benefits for it's staff and is proactive in upskilling personnel. I worked with a great team in the maintenance department servicing equipment ranging from Vintage to highly sophisticated, a good all-round experience.

Productive but Short term Focus

The company is privately owned and currently up for sale. While the people are great the sale prospect is causing uncertainty and insecurity. The business can be a fun pace to work at and has a large diverse ethic work force.

Pros

Great people, flexible work hours, able to work from home.

Cons

Business uncertainity

a fun place

Great management with great wokers. I learned a lot from my friend that I worked with..the best part is when we had lunch and talked about the job. The hardest part is when we worked long hours

Pros

great manage ment

Not worth your time

Pay wasn’t too bad. Management was hopeless. Constant relocating around the site which made it harder to get good at one skill at a time Came across some employees who thought they were your boss Was lied too multiple times about my contract and wasted my time on many levels I’d rate it a two or three out of ten. Wouldn’t recommend working there unless it’s a last resort.

Pros

Bugger all

Cons

Useless management, unrealistic work expectations, lack of respect to employees, to many temps

it was good

The staff were freindly and the job was hard but the supevisor was encouraging us to do. the salary was ok and the shift was 8 hours The company is ok

Great People, Teamwork, Equal Opportunity

I enjoyed the team environment with this company. Training was up to standard Safety Values. Clean Environment Production was monotonous alot of the same product.

Pros

Great Team Environment

Cons

Shift Work

was ok at start

Worked there for six years, no opportunity for advancement, now they are closing, and lm being made redundant. Expected to do the impossible, always under stress

Pros

Cons

don't really care about the workers

closing down

closing down, hate It, working with a lot of good blokes, a lot of good workers here, working here has been a great experience and ive met a lot of good people

Pros

good workers

Cons

closing down

Working as a supervisor

As an supervisor in the sawmill my day would taken up by people management, keeping the mill on budget and making sure safety come first. I would have to plan daily cut pattern to suit orders for the site and external orders.

Pros

built up many skills

Cons

The site is closing

They do not care about their employees

I have never worked for such a company that has little or no respect for their employees. They expect so much more from staff and with no incentive. We have all been made redundant at end of September.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carter Holt Harvey. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Carter Holt Harvey