Carter Holt Harvey
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Carter Holt Harvey Culture reviews

Had very good friendly team while working at Carter Holt Harvey. Very supportive. Working as fork hoist operator was not a very easy task for me. But I received encouragement from the colleagues.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Good environment and health and safety standards, got to work with many different personalities and cultures. I worked on the floor making my way up to managing my own shift. The best part is helping the operators with learning and training, helping them achieve their goals, eventually working on their pay rises, and giving them more experience and training. The hardest part of the job but yet very rewarding, was helping people through difficult circumstances, whether that be at home or at work. The other things that I have enjoyed, is working on system to help improve health and Safety, whether that be with tool boxes, updating isolation assessments and training assessments. I also do fitec units (competenz NZQA), mark and assess as I have my assessors unit. I learnt to manage pays by checking and approving worked hours by the operators, learnt how to organize my time better and manage better with the ongoing courses that my job has allowed me to do to achieve ongoing potential.
Pros
Doing courses such as first line management level 3
Great management with great wokers. I learned a lot from my friend that I worked with..the best part is when we had lunch and talked about the job. The hardest part is when we worked long hours
Pros
great manage ment
Cons
Although I did enjoy my time at the mill, Tasman was an extremely difficult place to work especially between 1999 and 2015 when the business changed owners 5 times with each owner putting some difficult expectations on the business. Due to the high turn over of employees in management, unrealistic work load was distributed with no relief in sight. I was promoted from production coordinator to manufacturing manager and kept all of the duties of both roles. When more people left and the outsourced maintenance team under performed, I was given the role as annual shut managers role on top of my other duties. When the new mill manager started in 2014, I carried on creating weekly and monthly reports for the CEO and directions team at the mill managers request. My work life balance suffered to the point where I had to leave the business due to many requests for help being ignored. The hardest part of working at the mill was dealing the a very strong unionised culture and working within the boundaries of the contract whilst trying t achieve the KPI's
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, poor relability, no accountability, unrealistic work expectations
The team that I have worked in for the past 3 years has been very united and a great place to work. The team spirit and people makes for a very relaxed and fun culture. That said, there is significant change now and many of the teams are either relocating or subject to significant change. This means that the teams I have been working alongside will soon no longer be part of my working day and the management team that I am working with are moving to a different business.
Pros
The people are great to work with
Cons
Significant change now means job no longer the same / relocation further to travel
Underpaid comparative to market. Good work / life balance, would have had to wait till someone left for a promotion. Not a great culture outside of work.
Always busy. PLC programming. Management well organised. Co-workers very friendly and hard working. It was always good on the job. trouble shotting was most enjoyable.
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
nil
Never know what the day will bring. Plenty of action around the plant. A lot of ground to cover. Many "customers" to satisfy. Excellent team & team spirit. Good relationship with management.
Pros
Staff sales
Cons
Weekend work & call-outs
very healthy work enviroinment so friendly it's awesome place to work.
Pros
good envinroinment to work.
Cons
very poor health and safety envinroinment
Get feedback throught out the whole machine from opperators. Do improvements or strip parts just to get a more of and understanding of how it works. I have learned that the operators are the key to me making my job successful as they hold the most information and experience on the machines and us as engineers need them. The hardest part of my job is to get management and the opperators to be aligned. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see my machine run continously at a high speed without any mechanical breakdown.
Pros
i have full responsibility of the corrugator
Cons
i have no one to fill in for me when i go on holiday which i always come back to lots of work, that was not completed while i was away