Carter Holt Harvey logo
Carter Holt Harvey
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Carter Holt Harvey Management reviews

New Zealand35 reviews

Clear
3.5Work–Life Balance

a fun place

Great management with great wokers. I learned a lot from my friend that I worked with..the best part is when we had lunch and talked about the job. The hardest part is when we worked long hours

Pros

great manage ment

Stressful and long hours

Not a very good place to work.no money spent on new machinery.no overhead gantry to help with the heavy lifting of trusses and frames.Low wages had to wait for the min pay rate to go up to $20hr.got ripped off annual leave to use during covid lockdown 2020.Quantity not quality to get your cube out every week.Long hours hard on the body sore backs and shoulders.High absenteism due to getting sick or body is sore.need a day off.No incentives lack of direction by management.Wages could be way higher for what you do better off being a hammerhand or building apprentice.Carters executive management don't really care your just a number you work hard to fatten there pockets.Carters need to be investigated can be quite a toxic enviroment.

Pros

Southern Cross discounted Healthcare, you need it when your body breaksdown, Good mates there they the ones who do the real work.

Cons

Long hours.always tired.no incentives.no free lunches.low pay.

Work somewhere else if you can

They treat you like a number. Expect 200% from you on minimum wage when someone on their first day does nothing on same pay rate. Very hard to get pay rises, always promised never given. Management is useless, no idea how to run a company. You only move up by treading on other people.

Good workplace

Good environment and health and safety standards, got to work with many different personalities and cultures. I worked on the floor making my way up to managing my own shift. The best part is helping the operators with learning and training, helping them achieve their goals, eventually working on their pay rises, and giving them more experience and training. The hardest part of the job but yet very rewarding, was helping people through difficult circumstances, whether that be at home or at work. The other things that I have enjoyed, is working on system to help improve health and Safety, whether that be with tool boxes, updating isolation assessments and training assessments. I also do fitec units (competenz NZQA), mark and assess as I have my assessors unit. I learnt to manage pays by checking and approving worked hours by the operators, learnt how to organize my time better and manage better with the ongoing courses that my job has allowed me to do to achieve ongoing potential.

Pros

Doing courses such as first line management level 3

It’s a hardworking place yet the workers are friendly you get a lot of snobs from the office workers.

realistically management and supervisors should ease up on the workers that are actually making the money. For the company, or even better see what it’s like in there shoes. guys sweat everyday yet the rate is shocking. At first your like ok that’s cool but 2years - 15years maybe upwards still the same ohh get outa here. Haven’t quiet met the ceo

Pros

2 - 3times a year free lunch

Cons

Need more hours

Not worth your time

Pay wasn’t too bad. Management was hopeless. Constant relocating around the site which made it harder to get good at one skill at a time Came across some employees who thought they were your boss Was lied too multiple times about my contract and wasted my time on many levels I’d rate it a two or three out of ten. Wouldn’t recommend working there unless it’s a last resort.

Pros

Bugger all

Cons

Useless management, unrealistic work expectations, lack of respect to employees, to many temps

Good pay but treated really poorly

If below 0 was a rating Carter Holt Harvey would get it threatened like prisoners and even sworn and talked down soon by CEO.they have no interest in hearing what their employees have to say

Pros

Good pay in areas

Cons

Disrespectful unprofessional

Not a company I would recommend to my friends

Lack of vision and leadership. Good experienced staff. Massive turnover of staff (Management) Don't upgrade on equipment There seems to be a lack of knowledge in all areas of the business

Pros

medical and pension

Cons

Lack of pride

Challenging, Draining, Unsatifiying

Although I did enjoy my time at the mill, Tasman was an extremely difficult place to work especially between 1999 and 2015 when the business changed owners 5 times with each owner putting some difficult expectations on the business. Due to the high turn over of employees in management, unrealistic work load was distributed with no relief in sight. I was promoted from production coordinator to manufacturing manager and kept all of the duties of both roles. When more people left and the outsourced maintenance team under performed, I was given the role as annual shut managers role on top of my other duties. When the new mill manager started in 2014, I carried on creating weekly and monthly reports for the CEO and directions team at the mill managers request. My work life balance suffered to the point where I had to leave the business due to many requests for help being ignored. The hardest part of working at the mill was dealing the a very strong unionised culture and working within the boundaries of the contract whilst trying t achieve the KPI's

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours, poor relability, no accountability, unrealistic work expectations

Team work and improved Job culture environment equals production

First of all,a typical day would start off with preparing with the work schedule for the day and any emergency order that can be slotted in with production schedule. The work environment was awesome, working with co-workers and Management.learning new skills such as operating other machines and different job tasks. All this can be challenging,satisfying,and enjoyable as a task has been completed The social club and the end of the year breakups brought the whole work environment to a new level, as you felt you were a part of the company.

Pros

Awesome work social set ups

Cons

had to pay for it and taxed too high

Jobs at Carter Holt Harvey

See more jobs

Good people, lots of change

The team that I have worked in for the past 3 years has been very united and a great place to work. The team spirit and people makes for a very relaxed and fun culture. That said, there is significant change now and many of the teams are either relocating or subject to significant change. This means that the teams I have been working alongside will soon no longer be part of my working day and the management team that I am working with are moving to a different business.

Pros

The people are great to work with

Cons

Significant change now means job no longer the same / relocation further to travel

Good and Safety work place

Every working night is like any other job need to work hard and be responsible for what you are doing learned how engaged in some cases that you have to make proper decision to make the job done safely especially how to interact to other people with good management who always care for safety friendly co-workers sometimes you have to work double to cover some absentees but at the end of the shift you feel happy because you've get the job done.

Pros

bring your own

Cons

normal hours

provide a good workplace

my typical day at work was long and standing on your feet for 12hours.What i learnt was different types of the trees and sheets that were made by the tree.management was good but hard but they made our work place safe.the hardest part of the job was paperwork every shift you do.co-workers were good because they were there to help you alot.enjoyable part to the job was going home from a long day

Pros

no hot meals for the night shift

Very good boss

Always busy. PLC programming. Management well organised. Co-workers very friendly and hard working. It was always good on the job. trouble shotting was most enjoyable.

Pros

Supportive team

Cons

nil

Excellent team

Never know what the day will bring. Plenty of action around the plant. A lot of ground to cover. Many "customers" to satisfy. Excellent team & team spirit. Good relationship with management.

Pros

Staff sales

Cons

Weekend work & call-outs

Productive but very challenging.

Get feedback throught out the whole machine from opperators. Do improvements or strip parts just to get a more of and understanding of how it works. I have learned that the operators are the key to me making my job successful as they hold the most information and experience on the machines and us as engineers need them. The hardest part of my job is to get management and the opperators to be aligned. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see my machine run continously at a high speed without any mechanical breakdown.

Pros

i have full responsibility of the corrugator

Cons

i have no one to fill in for me when i go on holiday which i always come back to lots of work, that was not completed while i was away