Carter Holt Harvey

Carter Holt Harvey Employee Review

View all Carter Holt Harvey reviews

Challenging, Draining, Unsatifiying
Manufacturing & Annual shut manager - CHH Tasman (Former Employee) –  Tasman12 September 2016
Although I did enjoy my time at the mill, Tasman was an extremely difficult place to work especially between 1999 and 2015 when the business changed owners 5 times with each owner putting some difficult expectations on the business. Due to the high turn over of employees in management, unrealistic work load was distributed with no relief in sight.
I was promoted from production coordinator to manufacturing manager and kept all of the duties of both roles. When more people left and the outsourced maintenance team under performed, I was given the role as annual shut managers role on top of my other duties. When the new mill manager started in 2014, I carried on creating weekly and monthly reports for the CEO and directions team at the mill managers request. My work life balance suffered to the point where I had to leave the business due to many requests for help being ignored.
The hardest part of working at the mill was dealing the a very strong unionised culture and working within the boundaries of the contract whilst trying t achieve the KPI's
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, poor relability, no accountability, unrealistic work expectations

Other Carter Holt Harvey Employee Reviews

Friendly Team
Fork Hoist Operator, Manufacturing worker (Former Employee) –  Mangere, Auckland24 March 2019
Had very good friendly team while working at Carter Holt Harvey. Very supportive. Working as fork hoist operator was not a very easy task for me. But I received encouragement from the colleagues.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Good workplace
Veneer End Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Marsden Point, Northland30 November 2018
Good environment and health and safety standards,
got to work with many different personalities and cultures.

I worked on the floor making my way up to managing my own shift.

The best part is helping the operators with learning and training,
helping them achieve their goals,
eventually working on their pay rises,
and giving them more experience and training.

The hardest part of the job but yet very rewarding,
was helping people through difficult circumstances,
whether that be at home or at work.

The other things that I have enjoyed,
is working on system to help improve health and Safety,
whether that be with tool boxes, updating isolation assessments and training assessments.

I also do fitec units (competenz NZQA),
mark and assess as I have my assessors unit.

I learnt to manage pays by checking and approving worked hours by the operators,
learnt how to organize my time better and manage better with the ongoing courses that my job has allowed me to do to achieve ongoing potential.
Pros
Doing courses such as first line management level 3