Christchurch City Council logo
Christchurch City Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Christchurch City Council Employee Reviews

4.2Work–Life Balance

Fast-Paced, Hard Working Environment

A typical day at work would be logging in to the phone system to answer all types of calls from the Christchurch public. No two days were the same in this role and it always kept you on your toes. Management was great when you had the right manager and support. Hardest part of the job was not always having the answers for customers as soon as they called in.

Most bureaucratic place I have ever worked!

I enjoyed my time at the council but was very frustrated by how slow everything was, how many people it took to make any decision and the huge cost to taxpayers for what was often poor outcomes. I do not recommend working here apart from their flexibility for work life balance.

Pros

Flexible work life balance, nice people

Cons

Nothing gets done

Fantastic team and management

Though it can depend on which library you are mainly situated in, I have found the team and management to be absolutely superb in the Libraries segment of CCC. There's a real sense of family between coworkers and management is genuinely caring about you as a person, with your work-life balance etc, not just your work output. Best work culture I have worked in.

Excellent culture

Its really happy to work with that environment and culture. Understanding the teams and the support If i get a chance to work as a permanent employment i prefer City council first

use as a fill in job

Great training good team but team leaders could not be trusted to have your back, Computer systems old and would crash, too much old wood there on too much money, hard to contact people for updates for rate payers.

Christchurch City Council

Christchurch City Council has approximately 3000 employees and is one of the largest employers in the South Island. There are multiple opportunities as council operations encompass many different areas

CCC A place of constant change

CCC is a workplace where change is constant. Be it new computer systems or change of staffing numbers. The big thing I found was that these changes were not always trialled beforehand so when something crashed, delays were caused because retraining in the replacement system needed to take place. Staffing changes were not always notified and I know in my role on the Front Desk of several cases where customers came in to discuss status of their Building consent with their claim handler only to find that they had left the employment of CCC and no one knew who had taken over their claim

Building Inspector

All support structures are in place to perform your duties as required. Great atmosphere in the office, able to perform duties independently. Always received help when needed.

Part-Time contract role.

Enjoyed working for this employer. Only spent a few months here as a contract worker prior to maternity leave. Would recommend to others & would happily return to part-time work for them again if the opportunity arose.

lifeguard and Store-man Alsco/fresh and Clean

beaning a lifeguard for 12 year was not bad when a had all i can do in that job i had to move on so i start as a Store-man at Alsco/ fresh and clean for 3 year enjoyable of the job was working with good Staff

Jobs at Christchurch City Council

See more jobs

Good people, councils have too many conflicting demands

Long hours and demanding but satisfying. Very hard to get the resources needed for operations as so many conflicting demands.

Variety, fun, educational

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the Botanic Gardens in customer service. I had such a varied work day which included providing information to customers face to face over the phone and electronically. Taking bookings for weddings, planning events, retail sales and stock ordering/control, daily banking, design briefs, creating artistic props. I also had an opportunity to work in the field cultivating, weeding and planting within several different garden sections. Our team often held events both internal and external, which involved both administration, creative outlets. I regularly attended internal training to gain further knowledge within the industry. Excel, Publisher, booking systems, Handling Challenging Customers and Internal Job Application courses. Management style was relaxed. But communication between management and our department was continually being challenged. Most difficult would be the days during winter months when visitor numbers decreased resulting in less customer contact and subsequently less to accomplish in the Information Centre. I enjoyed the support of co-workers who taught me a great deal in every day operations. They had vast and eclectic skills to pass on to me. Staff were mostly long term which gave a feel of being in a family with laughs along the way

Pros

Lunch provided when we had worked extra hard

Cons

No advancement within the role that I held

Productive Fun place to work easy going.

Typical day would be entering large amounts if Data, discussing with my team the days plan, my co workers were great, nice and friendly. I enjoyed every part of this job. The hardest part of the role was the amount of work that needed to be done, but I enjoyed that part, as it was a challenge.

Pros

Free coffees every week.

A job I enjoyed

Enjoyed all my positions with this Company. Very friendly and assisted with the Companies Social Club which involved with family outings, sports.

First get trolly from Mail Room go to different departments get mail bags, go back to mail room, sort mail into the right boxes then put them into allocated bags with the right names on them, next load the van ready to go there is a correct route to go and also time management comes into the equation with Area Knowledge and with good driving skills, collect from all the service stations in the morning collect their mail and deliver back to base, have lunch then same thing all over for the afternoon run, then finish. I learnt that the management were fair, and my co-workers were very supporting the hardest part of the job was the traffic on the road, the most enjoyable part was interacting with people.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Not having enough time to do courses

An interesting and challenging environment. very committed people

As part of a small team the focus was on delivering accurate results quickly and efficiently. This new team is intended to pave the way for further improvements in IT processes. Due to recent events the work was more varied and interesting than any similar roles anywhere else.The people are very committed to ensuring they deliver, their work is an extremely high quality and standard, and they are professional in every sense.The workplace was also committed to balancing seriousness with humor, to ensuring people worked in a quality workplace. Overall a very pleasant, even enjoyable place to work.

Pros

local cafe, great people