Christchurch City Council Employee Reviews

CCC A place of constant change
Public Advice Officer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury7 November 2018
CCC is a workplace where change is constant. Be it new computer systems or change of staffing numbers. The big thing I found was that these changes were not always trialled beforehand so when something crashed, delays were caused because retraining in the replacement system needed to take place.
Staffing changes were not always notified and I know in my role on the Front Desk of several cases where customers came in to discuss status of their Building consent with their claim handler only to find that they had left the employment of CCC and no one knew who had taken over their claim
Building Inspector
Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  christchurch, new zealand30 July 2018
All support structures are in place to perform your duties as required. Great atmosphere in the office, able to perform duties independently. Always received help when needed.
Part-Time contract role.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury29 July 2018
Enjoyed working for this employer. Only spent a few months here as a contract worker prior to maternity leave. Would recommend to others & would happily return to part-time work for them again if the opportunity arose.
lifeguard and Store-man Alsco/fresh and Clean
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury5 December 2017
beaning a lifeguard for 12 year was not bad when a had all i can do in that job i had to move on so i start as a Store-man at Alsco/ fresh and clean for 3 year enjoyable of the job was working with good Staff
Good people, councils have too many conflicting demands
Various roles (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury13 July 2016
Long hours and demanding but satisfying.
Very hard to get the resources needed for operations as so many conflicting demands.
Variety, fun, educational
Customer Service Rep/Visitor Host Botanic Gardens (Former Employee) –  Botanic Gardens Christchurch25 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the Botanic Gardens in customer service. I had such a varied work day which included providing information to customers face to face over the phone and electronically. Taking bookings for weddings, planning events, retail sales and stock ordering/control, daily banking, design briefs, creating artistic props.

I also had an opportunity to work in the field cultivating, weeding and planting within several different garden sections.

Our team often held events both internal and external, which involved both administration, creative outlets. I regularly attended internal training to gain further knowledge within the industry. Excel, Publisher, booking systems, Handling Challenging Customers and Internal Job Application courses.

Management style was relaxed. But communication between management and our department was continually being challenged.

Most difficult would be the days during winter months when visitor numbers decreased resulting in less customer contact and subsequently less to accomplish in the Information Centre.

I enjoyed the support of co-workers who taught me a great deal in every day operations. They had vast and eclectic skills to pass on to me. Staff were mostly long term which gave a feel of being in a family with laughs along the way
Pros
Lunch provided when we had worked extra hard
Cons
No advancement within the role that I held
Productive Fun place to work easy going.
Consents Assistant (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, New Zealand3 December 2014
Typical day would be entering large amounts if Data, discussing with my team the days plan, my co workers were great, nice and friendly.

I enjoyed every part of this job.

The hardest part of the role was the amount of work that needed to be done, but I enjoyed that part, as it was a challenge.
Pros
Free coffees every week.
A job I enjoyed
Technical Assistant, Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Christchurch16 April 2014
Enjoyed all my positions with this Company. Very friendly and assisted with the Companies Social Club which involved with family outings, sports.
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S31 July 2013
First get trolly from Mail Room go to different departments get mail bags, go back to mail room, sort mail into the right boxes then put them into allocated bags with the right names on them, next load the van ready to go there is a correct route to go and also time management comes into the equation with Area Knowledge and with good driving skills, collect from all the service stations in the morning collect their mail and deliver back to base, have lunch then same thing all over for the afternoon run, then finish.

I learnt that the management were fair, and my co-workers were very supporting the hardest part of the job was the traffic on the road, the most enjoyable part was interacting with people.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Not having enough time to do courses
An interesting and challenging environment. very committed people
IT Investment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, New Zealand26 September 2012
As part of a small team the focus was on delivering accurate results quickly and efficiently. This new team is intended to pave the way for further improvements in IT processes. Due to recent events the work was more varied and interesting than any similar roles anywhere else.
The people are very committed to ensuring they deliver, their work is an extremely high quality and standard, and they are professional in every sense.
The workplace was also committed to balancing seriousness with humor, to ensuring people worked in a quality workplace. Overall a very pleasant, even enjoyable place to work.
Pros
local cafe, great people