Christchurch City Council

New Zealand16 reviews

Clear
4.2Work–Life Balance

Fast-Paced, Hard Working Environment

A typical day at work would be logging in to the phone system to answer all types of calls from the Christchurch public. No two days were the same in this role and it always kept you on your toes. Management was great when you had the right manager and support. Hardest part of the job was not always having the answers for customers as soon as they called in.

Fantastic team and management

Though it can depend on which library you are mainly situated in, I have found the team and management to be absolutely superb in the Libraries segment of CCC. There's a real sense of family between coworkers and management is genuinely caring about you as a person, with your work-life balance etc, not just your work output. Best work culture I have worked in.

Good people, councils have too many conflicting demands

Long hours and demanding but satisfying. Very hard to get the resources needed for operations as so many conflicting demands.

Variety, fun, educational

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the Botanic Gardens in customer service. I had such a varied work day which included providing information to customers face to face over the phone and electronically. Taking bookings for weddings, planning events, retail sales and stock ordering/control, daily banking, design briefs, creating artistic props. I also had an opportunity to work in the field cultivating, weeding and planting within several different garden sections. Our team often held events both internal and external, which involved both administration, creative outlets. I regularly attended internal training to gain further knowledge within the industry. Excel, Publisher, booking systems, Handling Challenging Customers and Internal Job Application courses. Management style was relaxed. But communication between management and our department was continually being challenged. Most difficult would be the days during winter months when visitor numbers decreased resulting in less customer contact and subsequently less to accomplish in the Information Centre. I enjoyed the support of co-workers who taught me a great deal in every day operations. They had vast and eclectic skills to pass on to me. Staff were mostly long term which gave a feel of being in a family with laughs along the way

Pros

Lunch provided when we had worked extra hard

Cons

No advancement within the role that I held

First get trolly from Mail Room go to different departments get mail bags, go back to mail room, sort mail into the right boxes then put them into allocated bags with the right names on them, next load the van ready to go there is a correct route to go and also time management comes into the equation with Area Knowledge and with good driving skills, collect from all the service stations in the morning collect their mail and deliver back to base, have lunch then same thing all over for the afternoon run, then finish. I learnt that the management were fair, and my co-workers were very supporting the hardest part of the job was the traffic on the road, the most enjoyable part was interacting with people.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Not having enough time to do courses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christchurch City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Christchurch City Council Reviews by Location