Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews for Assistant

Great when it comes to available hours. Relaxed work environment. Slow in response to COVID-19, which I turn can cause stress with the amount of frequent positive cases.
This place works around my school schedule and pay is very good. The perks are real. The pay is great, raise within 6 months of working there. Scheduling is wonderful
I thought that this would be a great and meaningful job but it turns out, it's just boring repetitive work. You really don't get much of a break and there's this time card that you have to have with you all the time. When you punch in, punch out, you have to write in the times and as well as when your going to the bathroom. It was annoying because the time that you would work wouldn't be added because of the time card. You would even get reduced time on your lunch because you had to punch out, log off the computer, and write on the time card, and even then you would have about 20 minutes to eat and not the full 30. Everyone watches you like a hawk and the computers and desks are always broken. It's dirty and always cold. Would not recommend this place!!
Cons
I started out working a earlier shift and had some issues with a male supervisor grabbing me around my neck from behind, putting me in a choke hold and cursing at me while I was preparing to take a call. Things were occurring prior to the incident but when he put his hands on me that's when I started documenting. I started sitting to the front to keep him away from me. Then things kept occurring and one day I lost it and I told him he is lucky that I did not report him and he said he did not care because he has 3 jobs. So I went to human resources. I don't think anyone believed me. I seeked legal advice but decided not to pursue due to them changing my schedule. I requested that my shift be changed and I went from working 8 hours and 30 minutes a day, which was broken down to 36 hours a week full time on my check, to working 6 hours a day to avoid this man. I was picking up shifts every day, working 7 days a week to make up for what I was not getting paid. There was confusion with my schedule every day even on my days off. At the beginning of the new year my hours were cut to 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week. I asked was it a mistake and was told no this is your schedule and let me know if you have any problems with it going forward. So, right then I knew I was being retaliated against for reporting the issue. I typed 4 resignation letters placed them in envelopes and passed them out and resigned effective immediately, giving them all what they wanted. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and I know I don't deserve to work under those type of circumstances.
Pros
nice, clean building and nice captioning assistants
Cons
Management was not very welcoming, favortism, scheduling, pay
I was employed as a Captioning Assistant at CSD in the USC Innovista Building in downtown Columbia. Training lasts 4 weeks and you have to pass a work assessment at the end of each week in order to proceed to the next week of training. The cool part about this job is that you get to help other people in need. The Uncool part about this job is the management. As a worker, you ARE replaceable. There is a high turnover with Training Classes for new workers commencing approximately every 4 to 6 weeks. Basically, you are only as good as your last call. You can score high on all of your survey/monitored calls and that 1 call you get that you aren't on top of your game can mean the end of your job. CSD sets their standards too high for what they pay. Meaning your percentage error rate in processing calls has to be low. This job is not for everyone. CSD in Columbia is mostly looking for part-time workers to work in the evenings and weekends. I didn't like the fact that as a Full Time worker that my hours were capped at 36 hours per week. I would not have accepted the job and went through training had I known that. Some people need 40 hours a week! Also, your work schedule changes every 2 weeks. My experience with CSD was a bad one. I went through training in the evening. The training was unorganized and I felt as though the trainer could care less about me succeeding as a worker at CSD. When schedule preferences came out, I was not instructed as to how to put in MY preference on their company computer and was randomly assigned a work schedule. The supervisors/team - more...
Pros
Pto
Cons
Scheduling, Limited Work Hours, Center Management Team
I recently left CSD due to the automated scheduling system that went into effect this month. It was a great place to work when I could pick my hours and was nice since I could do my school work and read, color or work on puzzles in between calls, then I had to choose classes over the schedule I was given so it was a bummer. Management is okay. At times they have no clue what is going on nor do they communicate well with the employees in my opinion. I met some really good friends during my time there and overall, I recommend if you are open to a flexible schedule. It really is the easiest job.
Pros
Benefits were ok, nice people
Cons
Short breaks, not so great pay
So yeah, everything being said below about the insanity is true. If you're on the clock and not logged on, it's counted against you. "Relief Time" outside of breaks is a nasty drag on your "efficiency". So if you have to go to the bathroom more than once every 2 hours (or more) then your efficiency will drop seriously. The management is a joke. Most of the supervisors are maybe 25. They're nice people, but they're terrible supervisors. Their only job is to catch you breaking rules - and this is often fabricated for some reason. If you're not "chummy" with the supervisors (i.e. inviting them to hangout and supreme brown nosing) then they will pick on you more. The scheduling is a riot. Flexible is not what I would call it. It's supposedly based on seniority, except for when it's based on "maybe I don't like you that much". Getting holidays off is a nightmare. The scheduling is not done in a balanced or fair way in that sense; one CA could be forced to work every holiday even if they requested one off, while another gets every holiday off just because. Changing your schedule is also a mess, since they wait to the literal last second to reveal if your request was granted or not, forcing some people to leave. On the subject of fair, chew on this: every day you get a monitor. If you're above 95 on that monitor, you are GOLD. Below a 90? Not so much. But wait! What if you average out to a 99 over a period of months? It doesn't matter. You can score a 100 on every. single. monitor. and the day you score an 89 they knock your status down. One bad day can absolutely ruin - more...
Pros
Great for immediate short term work
Cons
Did you read what I just wrote?
I enjoyed the experience I had while working at CSD. The management is well and fair, great work environment, you are able to move up quickly, and the benefits are good as well.
Nothing to tip. Everything was nice. Managers were nice and fair. Good working environment. Easy job to do.clean working conditions. Quick and easy training process.
So the job itself really isn't all that hard. Listen to what the client is saying, and then caption it as it is happening. The difficulty comes from the fact that you are forced to use an unreliable voice recognition program to do it, and you aren't ever allowed to properly train it. Most of the management is borderline useless, doing nothing more with their day than wasting oxygen or making sarcastic comments. There are bonuses to be had, if you are willing to put up with the nonsense that they foist on you to do it.That said, they are working on trying to strip all bonus types back quite a bit and replace it with meaningless things like decorating the call center with coloring book pages that they let the employees color. Every single thing you do is micro-managed as well. You have a percentage of time you are expected to be logged into the computer and available to take calls.If that slips below 98%, you get coached the first time, and fired the next. The catch is that any time logged off the computer while you are still clocked in counts against you. Have to go to the bathroom? That's time against you. Need a drink of water from the fountain? Time against you. Supervisor forgets that they asked you to come to their desk to talk to you? It's on you.All told, there's a hundred ways to get fired, and no way to really succeed. Promotions are on a suck-up basis, so if you aren't a golden child, you have no hope.
Pros
Healthcare benefits are somewhat good, decent starting pay considering the type of work, overtime is optional
Cons
breaks are a joke, supervisors are lazy, and bonuses are a lie
Okay for starters the management is really horrible, they do nothing but talk all day when they are suppose to be working and dump a load on you. Also, it’s so hard to advance I just recently quit because I was told I would not get a slight raise until at least 3 years there which is crazy and the pay is not even worth your time.
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Management is very unorganized and does not communicate effectively with employees. During the training they pretty much tell you that you can and will be fired any little thing on any given depending on the managers mood that day. They fired half the call floor with no warning the beginning of the holiday season. These people are horrible and evil and I really don't know how they live with themselves leaving so many people and families wondering how they will make it through the holidays. They do not care about people at all unless you are best friends with management. Really wish I never would have accepted this job, the only thing thing I learned is how cruel and horrible people can be.
Pros
paid time off schedule flexibilty
Cons
management
What you would expect is a typical office job that follows the books exact. dont go if you expect something different and new and exciting. i would have to say the hardest part of the job to deal with is the scheduling and hours. a lot of things are changing with management however and new rules and so on so it might be completely different by the end of the year
this is my first time ever reviewing a job or taking time out to warn others. I started with CSD September 2018. The interview : The interview for the captioning assistant consisted of a spelling, revoicing, and typing speed test, also a one on one interview. The whole process took about an hour and I was given a contingent offer upon completion . The interview process was overall easy. But they told a lot of lies. First day: On the first day of employment with Csd we went straight to work with barely an introduction to the basics of the job such as pay, benefits, etc (things important to employees). We sat down and went straight to superior introductions and the training segment, no real orientation. Scheduling: In the job description for the captioning assistant as well as in your interview with them you will be told that this job allows for flexible scheduling (like you make your own hours) but that is absolutely not the case so don't be fooled. The center management informed us almost two weeks into training that scheduling would be done on a "preference" system but that you may or may not actually receive the hours you ask to work so if you have a full time job, children with specific schedules, etc. Then you need not apply here because they are not working in your favor. They say the scheduling is done by a computer program. Schedule "preferences" are based off a list of 4 to 5 different scheduling options that THEY make you choose from (you still might not get what you chose). Which obviously is not flexible. This would not have been a problem had they not - more...
Pros
Nice coworkers, OK Pay
Cons
Bad management, boring training, strict rules, micromanaged
23 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.We are happy to discuss your concerns with you directly. While we’d like to respond to all of your concerns via this platform, our experience has been that these issues are best resolved directly with individuals. Please email talent@csd.org and we’ll set up a time for a member of our team to meet with you.There are many comments in your review that do not accurately represent our organizational processes, so we look forward to the opportunity to address these with you.
There are many rules to everything at CSD and they are not listed in the employee manual so you have to learn them along the way when you do something and later learn it was wrong. Get written up for many things, which can be nit picky. Rules are more important than being a good worker. Good place to get some experience and to know the Deaf culture. Bad place to build experience over long haul. People often leave because of being lied to or through promises not being kept or by being treated badly. Disappointment is common. Also a place of double standards.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, some of the supervisors are helpful.
Cons
Being lied to. Rules are more important. Broken promises. No transparency.
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. CSD takes these issues very seriously and we want to improve this type of behavior. As you may know, Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to talent@csd.org and we can discuss your concerns in detail.
The job itself is the easiest thing in the entire world. However the admin and management team will make you pull your hair out. They literally walk around with a clipboard looking for problems. They get on you for every little thing you do. They are all unorganized, for example if you ask 1 supervisor some she might say it's correct and the other might say it's not. They are not on the same page and it's annoying. THEY ALSO HAVE BED BUGS!! THEY TALKED TO AN EXTERMINATOR BUT NEVER HIRED ONE. THE BUGS ARE IN THE CUBICLE WALLS!!!!
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Bed bugs, and terrible management.
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:1) Management - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that the messaging provided is consistent.2) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team walks the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.3) CSD invests heavily in the maintenance of our Centers. Most of our Centers have been operating for over 15 years, so in addition to daily cleaning, we also provide Center upgrades when necessary. In any instances where bugs are reported, we immediately contact an extermination company. CSD does not announce to employees when extermination services are being provided so the assertion that CSD “never hired one” just because this reviewer never saw one is untrue. We are also always open to suggestions to get ahead of any issues before they become real problems.Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.
They have a high turn over rate if you are perfect on monitors. Always having team leads walk around trying to catch people on their phones or reading. Very hard to get raises and nearly impossible to get the fond points unless you skip breaks. Good for a temporary job until you find something with better pay.
Pros
Paid time off, good hours, relaxed
Cons
Difficult calls & getting penalized for it, treated like kids
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:1) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team including Team Leads walk the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.2) Wage Increases - Employees are eligible for salary increases twice a year upon completion of their 90-days of employment with CSD and meeting the certain performance criteria such as work performance, attendance, and quality surveys. 3) Employee Recognition - CSD partners with an employee recognition platform, Fond, for Center Leadership to recognize good performance unique to our Contact Center operations including attendance, efficiency, and quality survey results. Fond Rewards are awarded for doing a job well-done and can be used to redeem things that are memorable, meaningful, and significant to our employees. 4) Treated like Kids - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that all employees are treated with respect and as adults.Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.
I was hired through a Temp Agency and told I would have 3 weeks of training before I started. I found out on my first day that if I did not pass a test they would not keep me. I wish the Temp Agency would of mentioned this to me, as I would of passed on this job. The training was unrealistic, too fast paced, no power point, not enough computer practice and then the test, the first week. Unrealistic goals in training. I left after the first week.
Pros
The friends I met while in training
Cons
The training, pay
20 August 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience. CSD is always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of your feedback. We will reach out to the agencies to ensure that the proper information is being shared with potential staffing employees.
It was a great environment. Everyone was very friendly. I would have stayed, but management was unable/unwilling to work my schedule around my kids. I didn't like how it seemed to be my fault entirely - or at least that's how it was played - but other than that, working there was fantastic. It was easy to conversate and make friends when you weren't working, and the work was easy as pie. As long as you don't rock the boat, things are pretty chill and okay there. Follow the rules to a fault and you'll do just fine.
Pros
Free cappuccinos
Cons
short breaks, no lunch in the beginning
Working at this place was a very dark time. Everything there is broken. Depressing phone calls. Bed bugs. Fleas. Eww. Do not work here unless desperate!
Pros
PTO every two weeks
Cons
environment
answering calls all day and re-voicing what you hear in your mic accurate. So that the person who is deaf or hard of hearing gets the correct caption on the CapTel phone. The hardest part of the job is being patient when you have calls that last for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job is that they are very flexible with hours and scheduling
Pros
frequent breaks, located right by downtown
Cons
none really