Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

This work environment was unique in that maybe 4 employees sit at work stations waiting for a call. Well you are waiting for a call you cannot use the Internet or a cellphone. Only read. You may go an entire shift with no call/work. This explains the very low hourly pay.
Pros
Lots of free time, good if you're a student with homework.
Cons
Nothing to do all shift, no work. Low pay, strange work environment. No access to internet or phones all day.
Enough said in the Review Summary. They talk a good game, but do not walk the walk, for there new employee's. If there are the same supervisor's, you really do not want to go and work there. Bad on the acceptance of diversity. You have to demonstrate that you have to follow there direction of firing good employees. I hope that this has helped someone, needing a job but not wanting to waste there time with a company that is really trying to have "warm seats" and "bodies".
The work that is done through CSD is fulfilling, and it's great to know you are helping people that really need it and providing a way for clients to stay in contact with their loved ones, as well as assisting with their professional needs. The most difficult part of the job was the office politics, including ineffectual management and the lack of appropriate compensation to do multiple aspects of the job above your pay grade.
Pros
Ability to assist people in need.
Cons
Lack of applicable compensation for additional responsibilities.
Relaxed environment management is good opportunity for advancement not much though you can get to a lead position and then it’s not much after unless a supervisor quits or gets fired not a bad place to be though overall could use more hours definitely if overtime was available would be great
It’s a stepping stone job! Until, you get where you truly want to be in your career. There’s a lot I could say about csd but, I was taught if you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all! Some things are better left unsaid.
Loved the work itself. Management was unprofessional, rude, and just looking for reasons to write you up. Getting anything on your schedule changed is the end of the world. They knew they had bed bugs and continued to do nothing about it.
The only good this about this place was the hours. Everything else was awful. Management were just same level employees who got a title upgrade. Electronics policy was an absolute crock. Saw people get fired when the person next to them was on their phone constantly (but because they were friends with managers, they didn’t get fired). They treat you like a number and not a human being. Avoid working here! Or... go through the super easy training and leave. Waste their time!
I enjoyed the days I spent there: 18 years. I had good friends there and learned a lot about people skills. I was quiet at first. The people were kind to me. It is constant typing which I enjoyed. We got breaks every two hours. There were a lot of meal celebrations on some holidays. Good pay for working certain holidays.
If you are a CA, its an ok place to work. You can clock in/clock out and the day is over. Never have to take work home. AND as long as you do what is expected (work and dont goof off and dont miss work), it is easy, You may never really have to deal with supervisors. You may rarely even see them. so this is a big plus. It is very hard, though, to be up paid time off.
But any advancement comes with little job security and not much more in pay or benefits. Plus, you have to deal with a management culture where goals continuously change, sometimes reversing themselves in a week. The corporate officers do not seem to have a coherent plan on what they want to do to achieve goals.

Advice to management is to appreciate the staff at the call centers and recognize what they bring to the business, the money that you make to pay for all the great products and services that you want to provide. Increase pay and paid time off.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Communication Service for the Deaf?
Management and supervisor are not on the same page. I was fired for listening to my supervisor and told “you should’ve asked me”, racist employees and management, lie about flexibility , HR sucks and will just repeat what management said and not listen to your complaints. Then they’ll say we wish you luck and stop responding. Lastly, they don’t fully even train you but expect you to know everything. They’re favorites and if you can work anywhere else DO
I've worked here for close to a year and a half as a captioning assistant. Rarely do they invest in CAs past training, raises are bi-yearly but have a nearly impossible criteria, Thw job itself is cake, but the administrative hoops and inefficiencies handed down from HQ to tge Ohio call center constantly throws wrenches in the gears and frustrates everyone. Local management is nice, but it's very clear that they work in the exact same cold, rigid, non-malleable system you do.
It's the most mind-numbing job, but it's also the easiest thing ever. You literally just repeat old people conversations 90% of the time, and correct the mistakes the computer makes.
***If you have a bad work ethic or are lazy, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU.***
Most calls were fine, mundane even, but some were risque and raunchy. Overall it is a balance between good and bad calls. Easy work. Can read or color on downtime between calls.
Management is desperate to keep employees yet doesn't respect the veterans it has. Work policies are poorly communicated throughout the center and you can be graded badly on reviews for things you didn't even know about.
Very rarely there is call content that can be very triggering for victims of trauma or people with high sensitivities, but when you bring this up all you're ever told is "you were told of this in training!" and little to no accommodations are made for you.

Customers will verbally abuse you if they aren't happy with things out of your control and management will do nothing about it.

They promote people will SIGNIFICANTLY less experience (2-3 months of working at a job that requires at least a year to really feel comfortable in) into supervisory jobs over people who have worked there for years and years but are just a LITTLE too outspoken for their tastes.

If you need decent money and very specific, reliable hours, then yeah go for it. But don't go for long term, or you'll need a psych, which their insurance probably won't pay for.
Pros
Good hours, easy job.
Cons
Mentally taxing, bad management.
My biggest challenge was that, as a hearing person, I haven't been able to advance into roles I believe I am well qualified for even though I've learned ASL.

100% remote is nice, but summits every 6 months isn't often enough.
Pros
100% remote, work life balance, the people are wonderful
Cons
the unwritten rule of not advancing those who are hearing is a bit much for me
Management was a joke, SO much drama, place was infested with bed bugs and anytime you brought it to managements attention they would try to deny that it was bed bugs.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Bed bugs, drama
Monotonous work. Micro manage of employees to the max. Minuscule or non existent salary increases. Extremely high turnover. Typical day is hooked up to a monitor screen and given a piece of paper where you have to account for every second that you are away from your workstation. Too many bathroom breaks and you get penalized.
I worked here for about 6-7 months and I would never recommend anyone work here longer than that. I still know some people who work there and, unfortunately, things have gotten even worse.
The job itself is incredibly dull. You sit at a computer all day listening to phone calls that can be mind-numbing. You are randomly tested everyday by one of the supervisors or team leads. Some of them are very lenient while others give you 0 benefit of the doubt and cut no slack. You are also tested monthly to ensure your speed and accuracy are good enough.

You are practically glued to your seat. Anytime you log out (aside from 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch) that time counts against you. Breaks start as soon as you log out so they are really 10 minute breaks (if that).

They advertise that you will have some down time to read/color/do puzzles/etc. but you don't because staffing is horrible. The turnover rate is absolutely astronomical. During my time, no less that 100-150 people came and went. People are treated as if they are incredibly disposable - even the ones who are good at the job. Some are fired due to poor performance but many leave because of all of these other factors. They use a point system for attendance. Its relatively fair but, if you call in and the person forgets to write you down, you could get slapped with a no-call no-show.

Schedules are unpredictable. You fill out a days off and start time preference sheet but you might as well not because it doesn't really matter unless your seniority is extremely high. All schedules are computer generated so you can
 - more...
Pros
decent pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
high pressure, poor morale, absent upper management, poor schedule system
This job isn’t the worst I have had. It is a very unorganized company. Supervisors in the beginning of your shift will tell you one thing and the supervisors at the end of your shift will tell you another. Most people don’t clean up after themselves, there is alcohol to wipe down your computers so that’s good. As soon as you log off your computer that’s when your break starts and if you’re not back in exactly the amount of time your break is you will get talked to( if it happens again written up) . You get tested every day, and another test once a month that depends on if you keep the job or not . Overall not bad but very stressful.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Have to work every weekend, parking lot is far from building, management
This place has the potential to be great, but is run by a bunch of greedy self-centered people. They want to get numbers and look good on paper; they could care less about their people. They see everyone as extremely disposable and often play favorites with the few people they do like. There's always something going wrong with the building we are in. Really a sad, sad place to work at. No upward mobility and very low morale. I could go on, but I will keep it short out of respect for the company.
They treat their employees well- suspiciously well considering they hire just about anyone who has an elementary school typing speed. Its boring and monotonous but great time spent if you're an avid reader. The only reason they can afford 6mo raises and health insurance after 3 for an unskilled employee base is because they systematically terminate employees over time. The only employees who last longer than 4-8 months there are the 10 or so people who are willing to advance to management. The turnover rate is extremely high and the primary mechanism in place to push older employees out is the rigorous and unyielding tardiness point system.
Pros
good pay, benefits
Cons
capitalist hellscape