Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Culture is less than desirable. Lots of turnover in call center. Training material is heavily archaic and minimal. Leadership is not present day to day- most managers work remotely from home so do not express interest for day to day operations. They do not treat staff as adults. Example of this: many signs posted in bathrooms and elsewhere reminding staff to wash hands. ??
Benefits
Cons
No career path long term, poor atmosphere
This place has the potential to be great, but is run by a bunch of greedy self-centered people. They want to get numbers and look good on paper; they could care less about their people. They see everyone as extremely disposable and often play favorites with the few people they do like. There's always something going wrong with the building we are in. Really a sad, sad place to work at. No upward mobility and very low morale. I could go on, but I will keep it short out of respect for the company.
They treat their employees well- suspiciously well considering they hire just about anyone who has an elementary school typing speed. Its boring and monotonous but great time spent if you're an avid reader. The only reason they can afford 6mo raises and health insurance after 3 for an unskilled employee base is because they systematically terminate employees over time. The only employees who last longer than 4-8 months there are the 10 or so people who are willing to advance to management. The turnover rate is extremely high and the primary mechanism in place to push older employees out is the rigorous and unyielding tardiness point system.
Pros
good pay, benefits
Cons
capitalist hellscape
The job is super easy once you get past the learning curve. You are micromanaged down to the minute, so your 15 min break or 30 min lunch break starts the second you log out of your computer. They kick you off the computer when your scheduled time is up but expect you to stay efficient with your timing, so don’t take bathroom breaks. They drag you away from your computer to tell you your score on a monitor and then you’re short a couple minutes of efficiency. They over staff on all holidays even though those are always the slowest days. You will work every single holiday, you are not allowed to ask for them off, it’s like they expect their staff to not take vacations. Every time off request I submitted that weren’t holidays were denied with no reason given. Upon turning in my two weeks notice I was told I would receive an email for an exit interview, I requested an in person exit interview and neither one happened. They have a very high turnover rate and don’t seem bothered by it. Seems like it’s designed that way on purpose. If you need something temporary, go for it but keep looking elsewhere. And the bathrooms are gross, huge gaps in the stalls so you can see everyone doing their business.
Pros
Easy job, can read in between calls
Cons
No scheduled time off, work every holiday, breaks are a joke, bathroom is terrible
This place works around my school schedule and pay is very good. The perks are real. The pay is great, raise within 6 months of working there. Scheduling is wonderful
This was the most ridiculous job I have ever had!! It is almost impossible to keep a job at this place and very little of it has to do with the actual job. It's petty things that have nothing to do with if you're doing your job correctly or not. They actually have a person who sits all day and monitors how many times you use the bathroom and if it doesn't meet their standards you get written up. If you have a pen in your hand- not writing but have a pen in your hand- when a supervisor walks by you're written up. If there is a huge accident on the highway and all lanes are shut down, you get written up unless 9 other people are late. If you have a straw in your drink you get written up. If you ask for time off and it's not approved (on the schedule you get a couple days before it starts) you get written up for taking your time. If you dont call in 12 hours in advance, write up. If you put your foot up on the chair that you sit in and dont move from for 8 hours a day, write up. If you want bedbugs this is the place to work. The company has had them since fall. But they "wipe doen the computers and sweep" so that should take care of it. This place does NOT care about its employees at all. If you need a job for a few weeks for a little added income i guess apply, but you wont have the job longer than a couple of months.
Pros
The actual job itself is cake
Cons
Literally everything else. Mgt, lies, schedules, bedbugs
typical day of work is sitting at chair all day and angry customers and poor management , the hardest part is sitting in same spot all day long with minimal breaks
I thought that this would be a great and meaningful job but it turns out, it's just boring repetitive work. You really don't get much of a break and there's this time card that you have to have with you all the time. When you punch in, punch out, you have to write in the times and as well as when your going to the bathroom. It was annoying because the time that you would work wouldn't be added because of the time card. You would even get reduced time on your lunch because you had to punch out, log off the computer, and write on the time card, and even then you would have about 20 minutes to eat and not the full 30. Everyone watches you like a hawk and the computers and desks are always broken. It's dirty and always cold. Would not recommend this place!!
Cons
I started out working a earlier shift and had some issues with a male supervisor grabbing me around my neck from behind, putting me in a choke hold and cursing at me while I was preparing to take a call. Things were occurring prior to the incident but when he put his hands on me that's when I started documenting. I started sitting to the front to keep him away from me. Then things kept occurring and one day I lost it and I told him he is lucky that I did not report him and he said he did not care because he has 3 jobs. So I went to human resources. I don't think anyone believed me. I seeked legal advice but decided not to pursue due to them changing my schedule. I requested that my shift be changed and I went from working 8 hours and 30 minutes a day, which was broken down to 36 hours a week full time on my check, to working 6 hours a day to avoid this man. I was picking up shifts every day, working 7 days a week to make up for what I was not getting paid. There was confusion with my schedule every day even on my days off. At the beginning of the new year my hours were cut to 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week. I asked was it a mistake and was told no this is your schedule and let me know if you have any problems with it going forward. So, right then I knew I was being retaliated against for reporting the issue. I typed 4 resignation letters placed them in envelopes and passed them out and resigned effective immediately, giving them all what they wanted. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and I know I don't deserve to work under those type of circumstances.
Pros
nice, clean building and nice captioning assistants
Cons
Management was not very welcoming, favortism, scheduling, pay
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Communication Service for the Deaf?
CSD was a great workplace! There was a great culture of friendship and communication, with the biggest drawback being the low-pay. However, if I could afford it I would gladly go back.
I was employed as a Captioning Assistant at CSD in the USC Innovista Building in downtown Columbia. Training lasts 4 weeks and you have to pass a work assessment at the end of each week in order to proceed to the next week of training. The cool part about this job is that you get to help other people in need. The Uncool part about this job is the management. As a worker, you ARE replaceable. There is a high turnover with Training Classes for new workers commencing approximately every 4 to 6 weeks. Basically, you are only as good as your last call. You can score high on all of your survey/monitored calls and that 1 call you get that you aren't on top of your game can mean the end of your job. CSD sets their standards too high for what they pay. Meaning your percentage error rate in processing calls has to be low. This job is not for everyone. CSD in Columbia is mostly looking for part-time workers to work in the evenings and weekends. I didn't like the fact that as a Full Time worker that my hours were capped at 36 hours per week. I would not have accepted the job and went through training had I known that. Some people need 40 hours a week! Also, your work schedule changes every 2 weeks. My experience with CSD was a bad one. I went through training in the evening. The training was unorganized and I felt as though the trainer could care less about me succeeding as a worker at CSD. When schedule preferences came out, I was not instructed as to how to put in MY preference on their company computer and was randomly assigned a work schedule. The supervisors/team - more...
Pros
Pto
Cons
Scheduling, Limited Work Hours, Center Management Team
I can't find a real reason to complain about this job except to possibly say that it's too easy. There are times when it can get boring, but overall it's a good job. They are not difficult, there is no dress code, and no matter where you come from or what you look like you are welcome to work there.
Pros
Great work environment, Good Insurance
Cons
Can be boring, don't really have any team work, kind of lonely...
I recently left CSD due to the automated scheduling system that went into effect this month. It was a great place to work when I could pick my hours and was nice since I could do my school work and read, color or work on puzzles in between calls, then I had to choose classes over the schedule I was given so it was a bummer. Management is okay. At times they have no clue what is going on nor do they communicate well with the employees in my opinion. I met some really good friends during my time there and overall, I recommend if you are open to a flexible schedule. It really is the easiest job.
Pros
Benefits were ok, nice people
Cons
Short breaks, not so great pay
So yeah, everything being said below about the insanity is true. If you're on the clock and not logged on, it's counted against you. "Relief Time" outside of breaks is a nasty drag on your "efficiency". So if you have to go to the bathroom more than once every 2 hours (or more) then your efficiency will drop seriously. The management is a joke. Most of the supervisors are maybe 25. They're nice people, but they're terrible supervisors. Their only job is to catch you breaking rules - and this is often fabricated for some reason. If you're not "chummy" with the supervisors (i.e. inviting them to hangout and supreme brown nosing) then they will pick on you more. The scheduling is a riot. Flexible is not what I would call it. It's supposedly based on seniority, except for when it's based on "maybe I don't like you that much". Getting holidays off is a nightmare. The scheduling is not done in a balanced or fair way in that sense; one CA could be forced to work every holiday even if they requested one off, while another gets every holiday off just because. Changing your schedule is also a mess, since they wait to the literal last second to reveal if your request was granted or not, forcing some people to leave. On the subject of fair, chew on this: every day you get a monitor. If you're above 95 on that monitor, you are GOLD. Below a 90? Not so much. But wait! What if you average out to a 99 over a period of months? It doesn't matter. You can score a 100 on every. single. monitor. and the day you score an 89 they knock your status down. One bad day can absolutely ruin - more...
Pros
Great for immediate short term work
Cons
Did you read what I just wrote?
I enjoyed the experience I had while working at CSD. The management is well and fair, great work environment, you are able to move up quickly, and the benefits are good as well.
Nothing to tip. Everything was nice. Managers were nice and fair. Good working environment. Easy job to do.clean working conditions. Quick and easy training process.
So the job itself really isn't all that hard. Listen to what the client is saying, and then caption it as it is happening. The difficulty comes from the fact that you are forced to use an unreliable voice recognition program to do it, and you aren't ever allowed to properly train it. Most of the management is borderline useless, doing nothing more with their day than wasting oxygen or making sarcastic comments. There are bonuses to be had, if you are willing to put up with the nonsense that they foist on you to do it.That said, they are working on trying to strip all bonus types back quite a bit and replace it with meaningless things like decorating the call center with coloring book pages that they let the employees color. Every single thing you do is micro-managed as well. You have a percentage of time you are expected to be logged into the computer and available to take calls.If that slips below 98%, you get coached the first time, and fired the next. The catch is that any time logged off the computer while you are still clocked in counts against you. Have to go to the bathroom? That's time against you. Need a drink of water from the fountain? Time against you. Supervisor forgets that they asked you to come to their desk to talk to you? It's on you.All told, there's a hundred ways to get fired, and no way to really succeed. Promotions are on a suck-up basis, so if you aren't a golden child, you have no hope.
Pros
Healthcare benefits are somewhat good, decent starting pay considering the type of work, overtime is optional
Cons
breaks are a joke, supervisors are lazy, and bonuses are a lie
If you can type over 70 wpm then you are golden. You get your own locker, can sit at any vestibule, and some of the time crochet at your desk or do a word puzzle or even color while waiting for calls.
Okay for starters the management is really horrible, they do nothing but talk all day when they are suppose to be working and dump a load on you. Also, it’s so hard to advance I just recently quit because I was told I would not get a slight raise until at least 3 years there which is crazy and the pay is not even worth your time.
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Previous center manager was fabulous. She was promoted and subsequently they brought in a new person, who I feel is prejudice against those of us who are handicapped and have medical situations to deal with. Get rid of her and relay would be great!
Pros
Easy work once you get past the training
Cons
Training classes are tough
I served as a Project Manager for a little over a year at CSD. While, I can't say enough great things about my manager, the compliments end there. The company allows long-standing tenured employees to be bottle necks and verbally abuse co-workers. The technology staff is wildly understaffed. The technology department is a joke, using archaic technology, ineffective leadership and poor communication. Senior leaders constantly bicker and verbally abuse each other. Leadership has vision but lacks any ability to progress from there. The mission to help the deaf and hard of hearing community is a wonderful cause but CSD has lost sight of this mission, rather instead focusing on growth and $$'s. Call centers are ran like daycare centers with managers watching over employees like children. If you say something, do something or don't kiss up to upper management, they let you go without warning. Senior management is very lacking here and they act like children at a toy store when they don't get there way. It functions like a club and if you've been in the club a long time, your place is secure. New employees are treated as outsiders and dubbed "not a great fit" when they express individualism.
Pros
Flex time, PMO Director
Cons
Upper management, Hr, technology, overall mission, pay, benefits, juvenile/childlike culture