Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Culture is less than desirable. Lots of turnover in call center. Training material is heavily archaic and minimal. Leadership is not present day to day- most managers work remotely from home so do not express interest for day to day operations. They do not treat staff as adults. Example of this: many signs posted in bathrooms and elsewhere reminding staff to wash hands. ??
Benefits
Cons
No career path long term, poor atmosphere
Management is very unorganized and does not communicate effectively with employees. During the training they pretty much tell you that you can and will be fired any little thing on any given depending on the managers mood that day. They fired half the call floor with no warning the beginning of the holiday season. These people are horrible and evil and I really don't know how they live with themselves leaving so many people and families wondering how they will make it through the holidays. They do not care about people at all unless you are best friends with management. Really wish I never would have accepted this job, the only thing thing I learned is how cruel and horrible people can be.
Pros
paid time off schedule flexibilty
Cons
management
What you would expect is a typical office job that follows the books exact. dont go if you expect something different and new and exciting. i would have to say the hardest part of the job to deal with is the scheduling and hours. a lot of things are changing with management however and new rules and so on so it might be completely different by the end of the year
this is my first time ever reviewing a job or taking time out to warn others. I started with CSD September 2018. The interview : The interview for the captioning assistant consisted of a spelling, revoicing, and typing speed test, also a one on one interview. The whole process took about an hour and I was given a contingent offer upon completion . The interview process was overall easy. But they told a lot of lies. First day: On the first day of employment with Csd we went straight to work with barely an introduction to the basics of the job such as pay, benefits, etc (things important to employees). We sat down and went straight to superior introductions and the training segment, no real orientation. Scheduling: In the job description for the captioning assistant as well as in your interview with them you will be told that this job allows for flexible scheduling (like you make your own hours) but that is absolutely not the case so don't be fooled. The center management informed us almost two weeks into training that scheduling would be done on a "preference" system but that you may or may not actually receive the hours you ask to work so if you have a full time job, children with specific schedules, etc. Then you need not apply here because they are not working in your favor. They say the scheduling is done by a computer program. Schedule "preferences" are based off a list of 4 to 5 different scheduling options that THEY make you choose from (you still might not get what you chose). Which obviously is not flexible. This would not have been a problem had they not - more...
Pros
Nice coworkers, OK Pay
Cons
Bad management, boring training, strict rules, micromanaged
23 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.We are happy to discuss your concerns with you directly. While we’d like to respond to all of your concerns via this platform, our experience has been that these issues are best resolved directly with individuals. Please email talent@csd.org and we’ll set up a time for a member of our team to meet with you.There are many comments in your review that do not accurately represent our organizational processes, so we look forward to the opportunity to address these with you.
There are many rules to everything at CSD and they are not listed in the employee manual so you have to learn them along the way when you do something and later learn it was wrong. Get written up for many things, which can be nit picky. Rules are more important than being a good worker. Good place to get some experience and to know the Deaf culture. Bad place to build experience over long haul. People often leave because of being lied to or through promises not being kept or by being treated badly. Disappointment is common. Also a place of double standards.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, some of the supervisors are helpful.
Cons
Being lied to. Rules are more important. Broken promises. No transparency.
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. CSD takes these issues very seriously and we want to improve this type of behavior. As you may know, Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to talent@csd.org and we can discuss your concerns in detail.
The job itself is the easiest thing in the entire world. However the admin and management team will make you pull your hair out. They literally walk around with a clipboard looking for problems. They get on you for every little thing you do. They are all unorganized, for example if you ask 1 supervisor some she might say it's correct and the other might say it's not. They are not on the same page and it's annoying. THEY ALSO HAVE BED BUGS!! THEY TALKED TO AN EXTERMINATOR BUT NEVER HIRED ONE. THE BUGS ARE IN THE CUBICLE WALLS!!!!
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Bed bugs, and terrible management.
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:1) Management - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that the messaging provided is consistent.2) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team walks the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.3) CSD invests heavily in the maintenance of our Centers. Most of our Centers have been operating for over 15 years, so in addition to daily cleaning, we also provide Center upgrades when necessary. In any instances where bugs are reported, we immediately contact an extermination company. CSD does not announce to employees when extermination services are being provided so the assertion that CSD “never hired one” just because this reviewer never saw one is untrue. We are also always open to suggestions to get ahead of any issues before they become real problems.Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.
They have a high turn over rate if you are perfect on monitors. Always having team leads walk around trying to catch people on their phones or reading. Very hard to get raises and nearly impossible to get the fond points unless you skip breaks. Good for a temporary job until you find something with better pay.
Pros
Paid time off, good hours, relaxed
Cons
Difficult calls & getting penalized for it, treated like kids
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:1) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team including Team Leads walk the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.2) Wage Increases - Employees are eligible for salary increases twice a year upon completion of their 90-days of employment with CSD and meeting the certain performance criteria such as work performance, attendance, and quality surveys. 3) Employee Recognition - CSD partners with an employee recognition platform, Fond, for Center Leadership to recognize good performance unique to our Contact Center operations including attendance, efficiency, and quality survey results. Fond Rewards are awarded for doing a job well-done and can be used to redeem things that are memorable, meaningful, and significant to our employees. 4) Treated like Kids - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that all employees are treated with respect and as adults.Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.
I worked as a Spanish agent and it was actually amazing. The coworkers are great and so was the pay and hours. Only down side is that it’s hard to change your work preference hours. But overall a great place to work, had I not had to leave do to personal reasons I would still be there
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Hard to change time preference
11 September 2018
We are happy to hear that this position was such a great fit for you. Thank you for taking such good care of our customers!
I was hired through a Temp Agency and told I would have 3 weeks of training before I started. I found out on my first day that if I did not pass a test they would not keep me. I wish the Temp Agency would of mentioned this to me, as I would of passed on this job. The training was unrealistic, too fast paced, no power point, not enough computer practice and then the test, the first week. Unrealistic goals in training. I left after the first week.
Pros
The friends I met while in training
Cons
The training, pay
20 August 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience. CSD is always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of your feedback. We will reach out to the agencies to ensure that the proper information is being shared with potential staffing employees.
Not exactly a great place to work for if your looking to advance up. I enjoyed working for the company with different challenges every week. I was just shocked in the end when they decided to let me go because of bad reasons.
Typical day at work would include taking calls as they come in no interaction with customers. I learned how to be alert to callers and to have very good listening and verbal communication. The management was changing often but feel did ok with what interaction I had. Hardest part was hearing difficult conversations day in and out.
Bathroom breaks can literally only be 7 minutes.Very easy to get a write up. The stations where you work at are always filthy dirty every single day. 9/10 people always quit within the second week because it’s so boring. They have this point system where you accumulate points (being late,not online for your entire shift, missing a shift) and if you hit 8 points your automatically fired. Monthly times where you have to be online 98% of the day, for every single month which is the entire shift literally! If you score under you get a write up. This job is NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
Celebrate holidays
Cons
Watched 24, 7/Treat you like little kids, No freedom
I have worked with the company for the past 6 months. The company when I first started felt welcoming and worked with me and supported me. Now the company has grown exponentially and does not care about its employees. It is next to impossible to get off work even when it comes to my kids. They will "let " you off but you get pointed. The sad thing is that the supervisors have so much to do and they dont pay them enough for what is forced upon them. If given the opportunity to advance to administration I would never by any means accept it much less apply. 6 months ago they looked happy, but now they are always just stressed and defeated. Dont work here.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management, dont work with schedules
11 September 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of the items you listed that need to be reviewed. At CSD we believe it is important to have the right people in the right roles at all levels who are committed to our core values. It also means we remain responsive to constant changes in the industry while being strategic about our growth and mission. Sometimes this can result in unexpected organizational changes, however, we continue to provide ongoing opportunities for employees to grow, learn and succeed.
I rnjoyed this position because I loved what I was doing. The call center closed and I would have still had a job if I coukd have relocated to New York or Hawaii
Pros
Great people- great service for the deaf
Cons
Company closed in this area
I loved the place, everything and everyone was simply perfect to work with. I usually kept to myself so, I didn't get to talk to many people. While I loved the job. I had family issues going on and was one of the reasons I had to leave. This job was my bubble of freedom!
Pros
Early leave
Cons
Schedules are some-what flexible seniority heavily applies. Great job to improve typing and communication skills. Great community of associates. Most enjoyable part of the job is reading, drawing, etc. between phone calls. Some deaf callers can be very verbally abusive towards you. Little chance for pay increase or advancement unless employed for several years. Coffee machine in break room never worked. Required 15 minute break every 2 hours helps pass the day quickly. Overnight and holiday shifts are not enjoyable but inevitable if you're new at the company. The point / disciplinary system in place for CSD employees is very juvenile.
Pros
15 minute breaks every two hours
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunities. Disciplinary system needs improvement.
In the beginning, I really enjoyed working for this company and what it stood for. After a few years, I got promoted and realized this company is not what I thought it was. The management is so poorly run where it makes the work environment pretty unbearable. The "quality" supervisor is an absolute pervert. I felt so violated being in his presence and any new hire that was female would feel the same way. It came to a point where I did not enjoy going to work and ended up leaving. I will say if you are looking for something part-time, this job would be well suited especially if you are a student. You are allowed to read and do homework in between calls and if you work later on in the evening call traffic slows down significantly so you don't have to deal with much plus management is gone in the later evening so you don't have to deal with any of them unless you get surveyed. The management and how they run things are what makes the job not worth the time in my opinion. If you are looking for something for job advancement this would not be a good job for you since they only care about body count.
Pros
Can leave a little earlier if call traffic dies down
Cons
quality supervisor is a perv
It was a great environment. Everyone was very friendly. I would have stayed, but management was unable/unwilling to work my schedule around my kids. I didn't like how it seemed to be my fault entirely - or at least that's how it was played - but other than that, working there was fantastic. It was easy to conversate and make friends when you weren't working, and the work was easy as pie. As long as you don't rock the boat, things are pretty chill and okay there. Follow the rules to a fault and you'll do just fine.
Pros
Free cappuccinos
Cons
short breaks, no lunch in the beginning
By far, this was the most rewarding place I have worked. By working here, I was able to hone and develop skills I need for further advance in the workforce. Of course, there are some callers that don't respect your, and there are some businesses that hear "relay call" and don't understand that a deaf individual is trying to reach them. It is important to remain calm while working at Relay. Typically, try to arrive a few minutes prior to the start of your shift so the computers can boot up and start working. You'll get to choose a cubical, read quietly, talk quietly, or do homework. I highly recommend this job for those that want to work through school. MN Relay is a 24/7 hour operation, so there are plenty of options for schedules. The downside to this, however, is that MN Relay is on a sonority-first basis. The people that have been there the longest get to pick what schedule they want. The new hires have to take what is given to them. Swapping shifts is easy, though.
Pros
relaxed environment, supportive staff
Cons
low pay, poor advancement opportunities
Working at this place was a very dark time. Everything there is broken. Depressing phone calls. Bed bugs. Fleas. Eww. Do not work here unless desperate!
Pros
PTO every two weeks
Cons
environment
answering calls all day and re-voicing what you hear in your mic accurate. So that the person who is deaf or hard of hearing gets the correct caption on the CapTel phone. The hardest part of the job is being patient when you have calls that last for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job is that they are very flexible with hours and scheduling
Pros
frequent breaks, located right by downtown
Cons
none really