Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Culture is less than desirable. Lots of turnover in call center. Training material is heavily archaic and minimal. Leadership is not present day to day- most managers work remotely from home so do not express interest for day to day operations. They do not treat staff as adults. Example of this: many signs posted in bathrooms and elsewhere reminding staff to wash hands. ??
Benefits
Cons
No career path long term, poor atmosphere
I would not recommend anyone ti work there unlesss they arw faast paced I havent worked in over 30 years and passed but was dismissed cause I wasnt fast enoigj
Pros
Good paying job
Cons
Hars to get hirwd
It is very laid back unless the calls are pouring in. You get to read or write and do almost anything you wanted between calls. I would recommend the job because it is very easy and if you want to sit in one spot all day and stay quiet its perfect.
Pros
Break every 2 hours
Cons
confined to one spot, not much coworker association
Very laid back enviroment for the most part. A typical day is punching in, picking up your offline sheet, then taking relaying phone calls all day for hearing impaired people with a few breaks and a lunch in between. They're very flexible with hours and accomodating individuals needs. Quick note though, If you decide to work here, pick the night shift. The morning managers are petty and almost unnapproachable. (If they even decide to show up to work that day). Seems like they're on vacation 6 days out of the week livin the life. Must be nice.
Pros
Laid back, easy, overtime, weekend and night differential
Cons
Management is very deflective and in their own worlds most of the time
I worked for CSD Ohio Relay from May until September 2017. I enjoyed my job even though the customers were rude at times and can cuss you out. Sometimes the conversations are questionable. But you cannot help that. The side by sides will stress you out. They can be done right beside you or electronically so you won't know when it's being done. Two times a month you are surveyed. LOTS of misdials, people arguing that they dialed the right number but didn't. My coworkers were friendly, I can say I made some honest to good friends there. The managers were kind and helpful. But don't call out unless you can do so 12 hours ahead of time. Be back from breaks and lunches on time or be pointed. They add up fast and eight points is terminated. All in all taking and placing calls weren't so bad once you learned the macros. Keep the typing speed and grammar good. Follow a flow of conversation and be transparent.
Pros
Reading or coloring down time, flexible work schedules, incentive overtime, plenty of overtime to grab
Cons
Rude customers, stressful fast pace calls, unrealistic call off time
value timeliness, unlimited paid time off. learned to relay calls. customer service provided to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. too many mis-dialed numbers
This job is very simple once you get the hang of the macros. It's super flexible with when you want to work, but other than that there's not much keeping people here. The pay is low and if you are going to be on the phone you may as well just take a job that pays $5 more at another call center in the area.
Pros
Co workers, easy, can read/etc. on downtime
Cons
Management, no electronics allowed (even calculators), low pay
take inbound call to find right phone to meet clients needs, Had nice supervisors the hardest part is changes to system.Helping the clients either choose a phone or if phone is not working helping them trouble shoot it and making it work correctly.
Pros
benefits, pto and medical benefits
Cons
CSD is a company that is a relaxing, easy job that provides a service that is both necessary and inspiring. It's a great job...or it would be if they could figure out how to run a business. The company doesn't understand morale and company culture is completely aggressive, strangely so for a job that is completely independent. CSD needs to work on its understanding of policy and enforcing it across the board before I could recommend anyone working there.
Pros
free coffee. Insanely flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor management. Aggressive environement.
I only worked here a short time but they will only accommodate you in training and on the floor. If you are visually impaired you'll be expected to pass a test as if you are totally blind. You WILL NOT be accommodated for testing AT ALL. It is stressful so you need to be mentally prepared to be surveyed and tested all the time for the FCC.
Pros
kind coworkers, understanding management
Cons
stressful, mentally draining, uncertain hours, lack of accommodations, for the disabled unable to tell the difference between light disability and severe
Management is unaproachable and unfriendly. Bathroom breaks are not excused time off of the call floor which is ridiculous. Tedious work but compensation doesn't really match what is expected of you. Basically they sell you a dream when you start then rip it away after training. May the odds be ever in your favor.
Cons
The people at work are nice (your coworkers and management), but the callers rarely are. They take you for granted, quite often swear at you, and you have to relay everything exactly as said and typed (which is easier said than done). I love helping people and doing basic customer service, but you really don't seem to feel like you can do that here. If you're going to work for CSD, apply as a Captioning Assistant. You can't transfer until both departments are at capacity, and with such a high turnover rate, they never are. If you like to be robotic and just do the same thing over and over and over again, and things don't get to you? Take this job. But if you like to feel like you're helping people, and like you're actually a person, and like you're doing something worthwhile (and if callers -- more often than not, honestly -- getting incredibly annoyed and angry at you can get to you)? Don't take this job. Please.
I'm able to work full time and go to school full time due to the ease at which CSD does their schedules. They're open 24 hours, and you can work anywhere between 16 and 40 hours a week. There are also overtime hours often available.
a typical day there is clocking in and sitting there for hours captioning calls with only either two 15 minute breaks or 1 30 minute break, restroom breaks have to be no longer than 5 mins total and the restroom there is always dirty. there you learn to repeat what is being said through your headset, management is okay, they do try to help the best they can but it takes them forever to get back to you, adn if your sick or kids are sick good luck not getting points unless you have a note to cover each day gone or days gone on one note, it also uses a sick day so theres that, they have rules they dont really explain in training so be sure to ask alot of questions. co workers are okay but if you dont take a shift for them they dont take shifts for you its hard to find someone to take shifts or cover for you. nothing was hard about it nothing was enjoyable about it besides the pay which you could get a good check if you work 24/7 and have no life outside work, if you do dont expect a giant check just enough to pay your bills and thats it.
Cons
rules
this company was easy to work with and had a great tech interface to work scheduling and billing. i was grateful for the seamless experience
I wouldnt recommend anyone to work here, it was very dangerous on sundays & management was very unorganized.
A typical day is to take anywhere between 100-200 calls in a working day, for me it was more like 200-300 because I was also taking Escalation (supervisor) calls. The job was hard, had some really rough people to deal with. I was a billing and technical support specialist in the Comcast Video department. In the mornings I would answer calls for trouble shooting mostly. People who couldn't get their TV's to work. I would promptly fix their issue, or send out a technician. In the afternoons the calls were mostly billing issues, this was when all the hard and rough to deal with people called in, needing help with their bills or their services restored, needing payment plans and extensions. I also helped floor support and Pride as well. The management is not good. They are hard on their employees, and a lot of them just didn't care, gave really bad attitudes and such. The employees were great, a lot of really great people worked there. The most enjoyable part of the day was either lunch time or when I got off.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
management.
The disabled and handicapped are still forgotten by some in society. Im proud to be able to help these people as well as also having the opportunity to educate others.
I have worked at CSD for a short time now and everyday I look forward to a new day here. My previous job was not accommodating; CSD has provided that understanding that accommodations are needed by people (who need them) to preform their jobs to the highest of quality. My language is ASL and to have my community in my workplace is highly rewarding in my opinion. It makes going to work easier, more stimulating, more motivated to get the work done, and more. I absolutely love working here and the people I work with!
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Parking, welcoming of ideas
Cons
None.
A huge benefit of working at CSD is being a part of a great team full of inspirational leaders working together for a greater goal within and outside the deaf community.
Pros
Great team, great environment and great vision!
This was relaying calls for the deaf. It was a small company with a family atmosphere. We had some deaf supervisors who were truly amazing.
Pros
computer systems and programs that are very capable and user friendly