Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews in Columbia, SC

Columbia, SC11 reviews
Great when it comes to available hours. Relaxed work environment. Slow in response to COVID-19, which I turn can cause stress with the amount of frequent positive cases.
The leniency and flexibility at this job is phenomenal!! It’s fair compensation with fair and equal opportunity to advance and improve. The job skills are repetitive something you will get used to overall scheduling is the best part here so far. I just re
Penalized for normal bodily functions. They tell you to tell someone but half the time the leads aren’t on the floor or are busy. They claim to care about mental health and share tips like take your full break but then suggest you shorten your break or else be penalized for low adherence which can result in termination. Very late and insufficient response to Covid.
Pros
Pay is higher than state minimum wage
Cons
A bunch of kids straight out of high school and this is their first job. And what a first job to have. You can take breaks whenever, the snacks and drinks in the vending machines are great, and so cheap. You don't have to deal with customers all day, and you can sit down the whole time. So, it is an extremely easy job. But, you can't enjoy it because the people that work their are crazy. Nobody can mind their business. If you want to work here you got to know someone who already works there.
Ghettoest job ever, hire anything with a pulse... the raises are a joke, and even though there’s a “dress code policy” they’re too afraid to correct people who come to work with bonnets and pajamas on. Meanwhile they (Management) are casket sharp when big wigs come visit. THEN to top it all off stupid efficiency rules keep you from emptying your bladder and having an actual break. 😂 just run the other way.
It’s a stepping stone job! Until, you get where you truly want to be in your career. There’s a lot I could say about csd but, I was taught if you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all! Some things are better left unsaid.
This place works around my school schedule and pay is very good. The perks are real. The pay is great, raise within 6 months of working there. Scheduling is wonderful
I started out working a earlier shift and had some issues with a male supervisor grabbing me around my neck from behind, putting me in a choke hold and cursing at me while I was preparing to take a call. Things were occurring prior to the incident but when he put his hands on me that's when I started documenting. I started sitting to the front to keep him away from me. Then things kept occurring and one day I lost it and I told him he is lucky that I did not report him and he said he did not care because he has 3 jobs. So I went to human resources. I don't think anyone believed me. I seeked legal advice but decided not to pursue due to them changing my schedule. I requested that my shift be changed and I went from working 8 hours and 30 minutes a day, which was broken down to 36 hours a week full time on my check, to working 6 hours a day to avoid this man. I was picking up shifts every day, working 7 days a week to make up for what I was not getting paid. There was confusion with my schedule every day even on my days off. At the beginning of the new year my hours were cut to 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week. I asked was it a mistake and was told no this is your schedule and let me know if you have any problems with it going forward. So, right then I knew I was being retaliated against for reporting the issue. I typed 4 resignation letters placed them in envelopes and passed them out and resigned effective immediately, giving them all what they wanted. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and I know I don't deserve to work under those type of circumstances.
Pros
nice, clean building and nice captioning assistants
Cons
Management was not very welcoming, favortism, scheduling, pay
I was employed as a Captioning Assistant at CSD in the USC Innovista Building in downtown Columbia. Training lasts 4 weeks and you have to pass a work assessment at the end of each week in order to proceed to the next week of training. The cool part about this job is that you get to help other people in need. The Uncool part about this job is the management. As a worker, you ARE replaceable. There is a high turnover with Training Classes for new workers commencing approximately every 4 to 6 weeks. Basically, you are only as good as your last call. You can score high on all of your survey/monitored calls and that 1 call you get that you aren't on top of your game can mean the end of your job. CSD sets their standards too high for what they pay. Meaning your percentage error rate in processing calls has to be low. This job is not for everyone. CSD in Columbia is mostly looking for part-time workers to work in the evenings and weekends. I didn't like the fact that as a Full Time worker that my hours were capped at 36 hours per week. I would not have accepted the job and went through training had I known that. Some people need 40 hours a week! Also, your work schedule changes every 2 weeks. My experience with CSD was a bad one. I went through training in the evening. The training was unorganized and I felt as though the trainer could care less about me succeeding as a worker at CSD. When schedule preferences came out, I was not instructed as to how to put in MY preference on their company computer and was randomly assigned a work schedule. The supervisors/team - more...
Pros
Pto
Cons
Scheduling, Limited Work Hours, Center Management Team
this is my first time ever reviewing a job or taking time out to warn others. I started with CSD September 2018. The interview : The interview for the captioning assistant consisted of a spelling, revoicing, and typing speed test, also a one on one interview. The whole process took about an hour and I was given a contingent offer upon completion . The interview process was overall easy. But they told a lot of lies. First day: On the first day of employment with Csd we went straight to work with barely an introduction to the basics of the job such as pay, benefits, etc (things important to employees). We sat down and went straight to superior introductions and the training segment, no real orientation. Scheduling: In the job description for the captioning assistant as well as in your interview with them you will be told that this job allows for flexible scheduling (like you make your own hours) but that is absolutely not the case so don't be fooled. The center management informed us almost two weeks into training that scheduling would be done on a "preference" system but that you may or may not actually receive the hours you ask to work so if you have a full time job, children with specific schedules, etc. Then you need not apply here because they are not working in your favor. They say the scheduling is done by a computer program. Schedule "preferences" are based off a list of 4 to 5 different scheduling options that THEY make you choose from (you still might not get what you chose). Which obviously is not flexible. This would not have been a problem had they not - more...
Pros
Nice coworkers, OK Pay
Cons
Bad management, boring training, strict rules, micromanaged
Official response from Communication Service for the Deaf
23 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.We are happy to discuss your concerns with you directly. While we’d like to respond to all of your concerns via this platform, our experience has been that these issues are best resolved directly with individuals. Please email talent@csd.org and we’ll set up a time for a member of our team to meet with you.There are many comments in your review that do not accurately represent our organizational processes, so we look forward to the opportunity to address these with you.