Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews in Lubbock, TX

Lubbock, TX21 reviews
Very relaxed about appearance, including tattoos, piercings, and hair color, which is nice, but that’s about it. Super high turnover rate, constantly training new people and still not having enough on the floor. Ridiculously harsh tardy policy (treating being 4 minutes late the same as being 30 minutes late). Lure you in with the belief that schedule will be flexible then give you terrible hours and make it impossible to change. Told things in training to have someone turn around and tell me that’s wrong. Treated poorly if you have “points” and make it hard to get them off your record. Punished for being sick and too poor to go to the doctor. It’s an easy job, but it’s not the envitonment they try to make it out to be.
I had applied for a full-time captioning assistant position. Near the end of the interview, after finishing the assessments, the balding pot-marked recruiter told me that they only had positions available that contradicted the availability listed in the job description. When I mentioned this, the recruiter responded: "do you want a job or not?" Not only that, but they had hired people in the past, only to range their offer later, claiming that the newly hired employee never turned in their documents, when really, the recruiter never emailed them the information in the first place. Do not apply here!
Awful environment with no potential to move up , let alone get a raise. You will have to work most holidays, you will get no sick days/floating holidays, and there is no consideration for your life outside of work. Also schedule flexibility is a lie, you'll end up joining a sad Facebook group trying to trade shifts with people as desperate as you usually wanting the same days off. Just avoid this place.
Provide two-way communication access for deaf, hard of hearing, and/or speech impaired. Typing of at least 60 WPM. Acquire experience providing customer service. Utilized professional & discretionary communication skills
Great place to work, Very rewarding job. I spent 6 years of my life there, and would have loved to continue working there but we moved. I would definitely suggest this company to anyone looking for a job!
Management and supervisor are not on the same page. I was fired for listening to my supervisor and told “you should’ve asked me”, racist employees and management, lie about flexibility , HR sucks and will just repeat what management said and not listen to your complaints. Then they’ll say we wish you luck and stop responding. Lastly, they don’t fully even train you but expect you to know everything. They’re favorites and if you can work anywhere else DO
Most calls were fine, mundane even, but some were risque and raunchy. Overall it is a balance between good and bad calls. Easy work. Can read or color on downtime between calls.
Monotonous work. Micro manage of employees to the max. Minuscule or non existent salary increases. Extremely high turnover. Typical day is hooked up to a monitor screen and given a piece of paper where you have to account for every second that you are away from your workstation. Too many bathroom breaks and you get penalized.
They treat their employees well- suspiciously well considering they hire just about anyone who has an elementary school typing speed. Its boring and monotonous but great time spent if you're an avid reader. The only reason they can afford 6mo raises and health insurance after 3 for an unskilled employee base is because they systematically terminate employees over time. The only employees who last longer than 4-8 months there are the 10 or so people who are willing to advance to management. The turnover rate is extremely high and the primary mechanism in place to push older employees out is the rigorous and unyielding tardiness point system.
Pros
good pay, benefits
Cons
capitalist hellscape
I recently left CSD due to the automated scheduling system that went into effect this month. It was a great place to work when I could pick my hours and was nice since I could do my school work and read, color or work on puzzles in between calls, then I had to choose classes over the schedule I was given so it was a bummer. Management is okay. At times they have no clue what is going on nor do they communicate well with the employees in my opinion. I met some really good friends during my time there and overall, I recommend if you are open to a flexible schedule. It really is the easiest job.
Pros
Benefits were ok, nice people
Cons
Short breaks, not so great pay
I enjoyed the experience I had while working at CSD. The management is well and fair, great work environment, you are able to move up quickly, and the benefits are good as well.
Okay for starters the management is really horrible, they do nothing but talk all day when they are suppose to be working and dump a load on you. Also, it’s so hard to advance I just recently quit because I was told I would not get a slight raise until at least 3 years there which is crazy and the pay is not even worth your time.
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
No advancement opportunities
I worked as a Spanish agent and it was actually amazing. The coworkers are great and so was the pay and hours. Only down side is that it’s hard to change your work preference hours. But overall a great place to work, had I not had to leave do to personal reasons I would still be there
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Hard to change time preference
Official response from Communication Service for the Deaf
11 September 2018
We are happy to hear that this position was such a great fit for you. Thank you for taking such good care of our customers!
Typical day at work would include taking calls as they come in no interaction with customers. I learned how to be alert to callers and to have very good listening and verbal communication. The management was changing often but feel did ok with what interaction I had. Hardest part was hearing difficult conversations day in and out.
Schedules are some-what flexible seniority heavily applies. Great job to improve typing and communication skills. Great community of associates. Most enjoyable part of the job is reading, drawing, etc. between phone calls. Some deaf callers can be very verbally abusive towards you. Little chance for pay increase or advancement unless employed for several years. Coffee machine in break room never worked. Required 15 minute break every 2 hours helps pass the day quickly. Overnight and holiday shifts are not enjoyable but inevitable if you're new at the company. The point / disciplinary system in place for CSD employees is very juvenile.
Pros
15 minute breaks every two hours
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunities. Disciplinary system needs improvement.
It was a great environment. Everyone was very friendly. I would have stayed, but management was unable/unwilling to work my schedule around my kids. I didn't like how it seemed to be my fault entirely - or at least that's how it was played - but other than that, working there was fantastic. It was easy to conversate and make friends when you weren't working, and the work was easy as pie. As long as you don't rock the boat, things are pretty chill and okay there. Follow the rules to a fault and you'll do just fine.
Pros
Free cappuccinos
Cons
short breaks, no lunch in the beginning
It is very laid back unless the calls are pouring in. You get to read or write and do almost anything you wanted between calls. I would recommend the job because it is very easy and if you want to sit in one spot all day and stay quiet its perfect.
Pros
Break every 2 hours
Cons
confined to one spot, not much coworker association
a typical day there is clocking in and sitting there for hours captioning calls with only either two 15 minute breaks or 1 30 minute break, restroom breaks have to be no longer than 5 mins total and the restroom there is always dirty. there you learn to repeat what is being said through your headset, management is okay, they do try to help the best they can but it takes them forever to get back to you, adn if your sick or kids are sick good luck not getting points unless you have a note to cover each day gone or days gone on one note, it also uses a sick day so theres that, they have rules they dont really explain in training so be sure to ask alot of questions. co workers are okay but if you dont take a shift for them they dont take shifts for you its hard to find someone to take shifts or cover for you. nothing was hard about it nothing was enjoyable about it besides the pay which you could get a good check if you work 24/7 and have no life outside work, if you do dont expect a giant check just enough to pay your bills and thats it.
Cons
rules
I wouldnt recommend anyone to work here, it was very dangerous on sundays & management was very unorganized.
A typical day is to take anywhere between 100-200 calls in a working day, for me it was more like 200-300 because I was also taking Escalation (supervisor) calls. The job was hard, had some really rough people to deal with. I was a billing and technical support specialist in the Comcast Video department. In the mornings I would answer calls for trouble shooting mostly. People who couldn't get their TV's to work. I would promptly fix their issue, or send out a technician. In the afternoons the calls were mostly billing issues, this was when all the hard and rough to deal with people called in, needing help with their bills or their services restored, needing payment plans and extensions. I also helped floor support and Pride as well. The management is not good. They are hard on their employees, and a lot of them just didn't care, gave really bad attitudes and such. The employees were great, a lot of really great people worked there. The most enjoyable part of the day was either lunch time or when I got off.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
management.
flexible hours, management that was promoted in house, and faculty events such as potluck and hula. flexible with attendance and gave easy access to benefits such as health, dental, and vision.
Pros
free lunch at least once a month
Cons
very strict work policies, not enough break time for the work you do
Official response from Communication Service for the Deaf
2 October 2015
So glad you are enjoying your time here at CSD. Keep up the good work taking care of our customers!