Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews in Moorhead, MN

Moorhead, MN10 reviews
Culture is less than desirable. Lots of turnover in call center. Training material is heavily archaic and minimal. Leadership is not present day to day- most managers work remotely from home so do not express interest for day to day operations. They do not treat staff as adults. Example of this: many signs posted in bathrooms and elsewhere reminding staff to wash hands. ??
Benefits
Cons
No career path long term, poor atmosphere
The company does not care about, nor value their employees in the slightest. Astonishingly high turnover rate due to downright awful management and irrational policies. Just one example of an absurd policy off the top of my head is that you gain points by missing a shift. You hit 10 points, and you are gone with no reasoning. That makes some sense, yes. However, even if you let them know of your absence weeks or months in advance, they will give you points, which are very difficult to get rid of. Car breaks down and you have no ride to work for the day? Doesn’t matter, you’re still getting points. Sick with the flu? More points for you. Even if the center manager values you, if you unknowingly break a company policy, they cannot do anything to keep you as the higher ups above the center manager do not care about you. The only good thing I can say about working here is that it is a great work environment filled with many nice and quite friendly coworkers and supervisors. Unfortunately, senseless management from the higher ups will absolutely ruin the experience and ultimately the potential CSD could have. I highly recommend avoiding this place at all costs.
Management is desperate to keep employees yet doesn't respect the veterans it has. Work policies are poorly communicated throughout the center and you can be graded badly on reviews for things you didn't even know about. Very rarely there is call content that can be very triggering for victims of trauma or people with high sensitivities, but when you bring this up all you're ever told is "you were told of this in training!" and little to no accommodations are made for you. Customers will verbally abuse you if they aren't happy with things out of your control and management will do nothing about it. They promote people will SIGNIFICANTLY less experience (2-3 months of working at a job that requires at least a year to really feel comfortable in) into supervisory jobs over people who have worked there for years and years but are just a LITTLE too outspoken for their tastes. If you need decent money and very specific, reliable hours, then yeah go for it. But don't go for long term, or you'll need a psych, which their insurance probably won't pay for.
Pros
Good hours, easy job.
Cons
Mentally taxing, bad management.
typical day of work is sitting at chair all day and angry customers and poor management , the hardest part is sitting in same spot all day long with minimal breaks
Previous center manager was fabulous. She was promoted and subsequently they brought in a new person, who I feel is prejudice against those of us who are handicapped and have medical situations to deal with. Get rid of her and relay would be great!
Pros
Easy work once you get past the training
Cons
Training classes are tough
I loved the place, everything and everyone was simply perfect to work with. I usually kept to myself so, I didn't get to talk to many people. While I loved the job. I had family issues going on and was one of the reasons I had to leave. This job was my bubble of freedom!
Pros
Early leave
Cons
In the beginning, I really enjoyed working for this company and what it stood for. After a few years, I got promoted and realized this company is not what I thought it was. The management is so poorly run where it makes the work environment pretty unbearable. The "quality" supervisor is an absolute pervert. I felt so violated being in his presence and any new hire that was female would feel the same way. It came to a point where I did not enjoy going to work and ended up leaving. I will say if you are looking for something part-time, this job would be well suited especially if you are a student. You are allowed to read and do homework in between calls and if you work later on in the evening call traffic slows down significantly so you don't have to deal with much plus management is gone in the later evening so you don't have to deal with any of them unless you get surveyed. The management and how they run things are what makes the job not worth the time in my opinion. If you are looking for something for job advancement this would not be a good job for you since they only care about body count.
Pros
Can leave a little earlier if call traffic dies down
Cons
quality supervisor is a perv
By far, this was the most rewarding place I have worked. By working here, I was able to hone and develop skills I need for further advance in the workforce. Of course, there are some callers that don't respect your, and there are some businesses that hear "relay call" and don't understand that a deaf individual is trying to reach them. It is important to remain calm while working at Relay. Typically, try to arrive a few minutes prior to the start of your shift so the computers can boot up and start working. You'll get to choose a cubical, read quietly, talk quietly, or do homework. I highly recommend this job for those that want to work through school. MN Relay is a 24/7 hour operation, so there are plenty of options for schedules. The downside to this, however, is that MN Relay is on a sonority-first basis. The people that have been there the longest get to pick what schedule they want. The new hires have to take what is given to them. Swapping shifts is easy, though.
Pros
relaxed environment, supportive staff
Cons
low pay, poor advancement opportunities
This job is very simple once you get the hang of the macros. It's super flexible with when you want to work, but other than that there's not much keeping people here. The pay is low and if you are going to be on the phone you may as well just take a job that pays $5 more at another call center in the area.
Pros
Co workers, easy, can read/etc. on downtime
Cons
Management, no electronics allowed (even calculators), low pay
I'm able to work full time and go to school full time due to the ease at which CSD does their schedules. They're open 24 hours, and you can work anywhere between 16 and 40 hours a week. There are also overtime hours often available.